DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

I guess I would say if you are just starting to focus on doing quest lines to get the rewards.  Pick a Crucible faction and focus on upgrading your levels for the various factions to get faction rewards which are nice.  When you can, do the Daily and Weekly heroic missions since they net you some nice rewards too.  And be prepared to grind.

Honestly, when Xur shows up every week, I always buy exotic weapon and armor pieces I don't already own, just to have them in my inventory.

54 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I guess I would say if you are just starting to focus on doing quest lines to get the rewards.  Pick a Crucible faction and focus on upgrading your levels for the various factions to get faction rewards which are nice.  When you can, do the Daily and Weekly heroic missions since they net you some nice rewards too.  And be prepared to grind.

Honestly, when Xur shows up every week, I always buy exotic weapon and armor pieces I don't already own, just to have them in my inventory.

I managed to skip to Level 25 through something I did (not quite sure exactly). Is it worth sweeping up the lower hanging fruit in terms of missions, especially considering the exp/gear won't be that good?

The spark of Light (what let you jump to 25) is weird, because while it does allow you to go straight into the higher level missions, it doesn't actually apply an equivalent amount of XP to leveling up your sublcasses.  Meaning: you might be level 25, but you only have the abilities of a Level 1 character.

With that in mind, it can actually be useful to run the older, lower level missions because it's easy XP to quickly level up your subclasses through activities that won't challenge you much because you're level 25.

Yes - do the missions

It is cheap XP and you can use the crap you get from breaking down the shitty gear.

Since you are over-levelled they will be cake. Heck - you can even bump up the experience a little to help.

Also - Patrol the Cosmodrome for cheap XP. Because you need your skills to start matching up to a level

So i finished off the Thorn quest. It's actually easier than Year 1. I broke out the Epilogue and had several positive games that put me on about 40%. Then i got an absolute beating going 6-18. I checked the quest and i hadn't lost any points. Seems in the Year 3 version you don't loose points for deaths. It's more of a grind since i'm sure you need more kills, at least it took me longer to do it this time, but you don't have to worry about dying.

Make sure you have a skeleton key when doing the final strike for the quest though, the gun is in the chest at the end and you cant get it without one. 

I did the complete opposite with my Year 1 Thorn. I played regular Control while all the good players were in the Iron Banner. Made it a whole lot easier since i didn't really play much Crucible back then.

I got a disgusting Hopscotch Pilgrim drop for me today. Headseeker and Glass Half Full. The bottom half of the magazine just rips people apart. It might replace my trusty Nirwin's Mercy since it's the same style gun but does more damage now and i can make up for the lack of Third Eye using one of the new Iron Lords artifacts.

Friday night, I got THREE exotic drops in one raid (2 from chests, 1 from Aksis).  Exotic drops don't mean what they used to, thanks to 3oC's, but it was still pretty cool and I was no less hated by my fireteam for it.

Aksis is dead. And his Space AIDS cured. Took about 2 and a half hours to beat the raid for the first time. We had 2 randoms with us we picked up off the internet. 4 of us had never finished it before, 2 of us it was there first time doing any of the raid. Not bad to be fair. I ended up with the auto rifle and the bond, i'd rather have the scout and hat but it is what it is, i was really just looking to clear the raid. It's a good, fast paced raid, I'd still rank it behind the Vault but i like it better than Crota and King's Fall.

The first 4 encounters really aren't that hard. The Siege Engine gets very hectic but as long as you take your time clearing everything out you've only really got to make sure the ship doesn't dump on you. Aksis himself has a lot going on but it's a fairly straightforward fight once you get the communication down. The thing that kept tripping us up was the fact that you have such a tiny window of opportunity to slam him once he's teleported. We pretty much just ignored the first 2 damage phases of the teleport in favor of making sure we had an empowered in position for the next teleport. Whoever slammed stayed and did some damage on the first 2 phases while everyone got ready for the 3rd. Not the most efficient way of doing it, and it took it to the enrage timer, but we had 3 guys under 370 so we weren't getting max damage each time anyway. I think we wiped maybe 5 times on the way to him and Aksis himself took about an hour of attempts.

In comparison to Oryx, i don't know, i'd say in the long run it will be easier. Oryx never really got easier once you had the fight down, it was very unforgiving, especially on hard mode. This one feels like with enough experience you could smash through it like we can the Vault and Crota now.

Much like you, EVA, i took all the exotic rewards! 2 from chests and one from the first boss. Probably why it screwed me on the Aksis loot, cant have all the good stuff!

• Like 1

Did your group do the monitors?  its amazing to me that anybody ever figured out how to do the part where you have to enter the binary code.

I was just like, "Durrrr, somebody just shoot the canister I'm supposed to stand on..."

3 hours ago, EVA said:

Did your group do the monitors?  its amazing to me that anybody ever figured out how to do the part where you have to enter the binary code.

I was just like, "Durrrr, somebody just shoot the canister I'm supposed to stand on..."

No monitors this time. The goal was to just get through the raid and pull the legs of the spider at the end. Definitely need to get the monitors done at some point though, I want that pulse rifle! But yeah, insane how people figured this out. People complained the Sleeper Simulent quest was a disappointment so they throw this at us? Just lean binary. How hard can it be! Crazy.

Despite me being happy with clearing the raid for the first time I see that someone soloed Aksis over the weekend!? I can't even comprehend how that's possible. I had to pull double duty on the cannons a couple of times due to deaths but to do all 3. Then do all 3 bombs. Then do enough damage each phase as my entire team of 6 was doing? How....

Festival of the Lost returns tomorrow. No word on what the quests will be but it's got a bunch of new masks along with Ghosts, Sparrows and shaders this year.

I got my Year 1 Thorn by being a Gunslinger and kicking ass in Control and Clash matches.. 

I got my first Slayer medal during that run.  I Golden Gunned five out of the six members of the other team in a Control match.. 

IIRC Rippa was there when I did that shit.  I miss the days when you could be a Hunter, go into the Crucible using a Hand Cannon as your primary weapon, and still do reasonably well. 

My Lord High Fixer roll was fucking sick.  I continued to use it even after I got TLW and Thorn until the devs gimped HCs to the point where only Legendaries HCs were any good for Destiny pistoliers.

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Well my good luck streak with higher level drops seems to have ended for whatever reason.  It's like the RNG took pity on me one day.

What level did you reach this time before hitting a wall?

So, I've been playing some of the Festival of the Lost and it's a bit of a mixed bag compared to last years. On the plus side you get more masks, 7 from quests and vendors, and 1 per character for completing the quest. On the other hand you can't grind for the masks you want like you could last year. If you wanted something and didn't get it from the quest you have to buy treasure boxes. Thing is they are RNG too so you could end up still not getting what you want even after spending real money on it. 

They have added a mask kiosk though which is good. Once you've got your masks you can shard them without fear of loosing them to save vault space.

Also, the Broom Stick Sparrow is great. As are the tragic new lines from Sweeper Bot since we stole it's broom.

FotL finishes on the 8th and if it's like last years will lead straight into the Iron Banner. It'll be the first Banner to drop LL400 gear. My warlock is sitting on 395 at the moment and the grind is back on.

8 hours ago, Basara said:

What level did you reach this time before hitting a wall?

So, I've been playing some of the Festival of the Lost and it's a bit of a mixed bag compared to last years. On the plus side you get more masks, 7 from quests and vendors, and 1 per character for completing the quest. On the other hand you can't grind for the masks you want like you could last year. If you wanted something and didn't get it from the quest you have to buy treasure boxes. Thing is they are RNG too so you could end up still not getting what you want even after spending real money on it. 

They have added a mask kiosk though which is good. Once you've got your masks you can shard them without fear of loosing them to save vault space.

Also, the Broom Stick Sparrow is great. As are the tragic new lines from Sweeper Bot since we stole it's broom.

FotL finishes on the 8th and if it's like last years will lead straight into the Iron Banner. It'll be the first Banner to drop LL400 gear. My warlock is sitting on 395 at the moment and the grind is back on.

366 basically.  

I like the changes to the social spaces for Festival of the Lost, but beating a heroic quest using a mask was insanely hard.   I would've preferred if besides new masks, shaders and emblems we could get I dunno some new exotic weapons or something of the like.

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

366 basically.  

I like the changes to the social spaces for Festival of the Lost, but beating a heroic quest using a mask was insanely hard.   I would've preferred if besides new masks, shaders and emblems we could get I dunno some new exotic weapons or something of the like.

What game modes are you playing? Rare engrams stop at 365 so your best place now is the Heroic Strikes or the 320 strikes selected from the director since the bosses drop gear up to 385. If you find yourself lacking a Ghost/Artifact/Class Item then Archons Forge drops them up to 400 now. You can also get specific legendary armor and specials from Archons Forge up to 385 but the drop rates are crap, you're much better off in the Heroics.

Legendary engrams decode up to 385 now too. You're guaranteed one per character for the first Heroic Strike you play each week and one per character per day from a public event. Use http://destinypublicevents.com/ to find out when they happen to just jump on and get free gear.

Vanguard and Faction packages go all the way p to 390 too so just buy playing the game and leveling them up will make you some progress.

Finally, at 366 your high enough to do the new raid if you can find a group. Gear in normal mode drops up to 385 and you don't fight any 370 enemies until the last area so you're more than leveled enough to play through to the 3rd encounter. If you can find a decent team you can beat the whole thing. We took a couple of low leveled 360s with us the first time we beat it although we also had a few guys in the 380-390 range to make up the damage.

Played a rare bit of Trials tonight since it's a special Festival of the Lost edition with no radar, no revives and a limited time emblem at 5 wins. Absolutely smashed our way to 5-0 aaaand then lost 4 in a row. Cant complain though, we got the emblem and i got a 400 helm (that looks like a cobra!) and a 398 bond. My mains sitting at 397 now. Probably wont progress any further now until the next Iron Banner since i am running out of places to get gear from outside the raid.

• 2 weeks later...

Triple post! Am i the last man standing in this game?

So the new challenge mode kicked off last week with Vosik and Aksis this week. Didn't have my usual group on so i joined some random Australians off LFG. Space Ninjas every one of them! Blew through the raid in about an hour. I've yet to try the Aksis challenge mode.

Iron Banner returns today and it appears it is entirely stress free. There doesn't seem to be rank up packages for rank 3 and 5 anymore, all your drops come from the bounties and end game rewards. So unless you really want the roll the vendor is selling on the gear you can just play without fear of losses slowing you down. I played 5 games, got a 399 chest, a 400 pulse rifle and the shader on top of completing 3 of the 4 bounties. Not sure if the lack of the rank up packages was intended or not or if the weekly bounties and increased drop rates are to replace it. Either way, it's an easy Banner.

A helpful one too. The armor dropping is chest and boots. the 2 hardest to come by pieces of gear. Currently the only way to get 400 drops for them is the hard mode raid or Trials. Unless you get lucky with an exotic.

I'm still grinding out there

I meant to post about how hilarious the Nightfall was last week.  Once Phogoth hit 50% health, a Fallen ketch would show up and drop off a Shock Captain.  Because it was Arc Burn, once that happened, you could literally go hide in a corner and let that dude kill Phogoth for you.

On 11/9/2016 at 0:00 AM, EVA said:

I'm still grinding out there

I meant to post about how hilarious the Nightfall was last week.  Once Phogoth hit 50% health, a Fallen ketch would show up and drop off a Shock Captain.  Because it was Arc Burn, once that happened, you could literally go hide in a corner and let that dude kill Phogoth for you.

Yeah we just hid up top on the platforms and watched him get cooked.

Well, it took 35 grueling matches of Iron Banner but i got all 3 characters to 400 along with a variety of my most used weapons. I still have some stuff to do, 2 exotic quests and the hard mode raid but i'm pretty much set now until Sparrow Racing in December. Really could do with some more vault space though. I've pretty much deleted all the exotics i don't use and any old, incomplete sets that cant be finished and i'm still almost full for armor. Guns are fairing a little better but it's not looking good.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3 December 2016 at 8:31 PM, misanthrope304 said:

Icebreaker is coming back, 12/13

I've not been on for Nearly a month since I ran out of stuff to do and Dark Souls 3 has consumed all of my gaming time but I'll be taking a look at the update on the 13th.

As well as the SRL returning, it's looking like they will be treating Nightfalls (and strikes?) like the Challenge of the Elders. Points based targets to aim for and specific bounties for special gear. Seems that as well as Icebreaker making its return they're also releasing the solar and void flavours of Thunderlord that they showed back before The Taken King came out.

Looks like a couple of strikes are getting an update too. There's a SIVA themed Omnigul strike in there and I'm guessing they will bring forward The Nexus too since that's the only strike stuck back at yeah 1 values.

• Like 1

It's interesting:. There will be 2 new versions of the Nexus, each utilizing a different mechanic from the Templar fight.  The standard version requires you to use the Aegis to bring down his shield to damage him; the Taken version has the marked/cleanse mechanic.

Lots of speculation this is designed to teach new players how to do VoG for whenever they finally update it.

• Like 1