DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

Iron Banner is back next Tuesday with some changes. There's no more daily and item buffs. All wins are a flat 250 rep and medallions 150 now. There are 4 weekly bounties with guaranteed rewards including an IB item not being sold during that event, an artifact or vanity item, 25 legendary marks and 750 rep. No word on if it requires more or less rep to reach rank 5 but rank 1 is still listed as needing 100 rep. If that's the case, it used to take 8500 to reach rank 5, it would take 4 weekly bounties and 22 wins to hit rank 5. So with losses thrown in, probably 40 games. Unless there are some daily bounties in there to soften the blow.

Makes leveling up your main is a bit faster, and your alts much slower. To be fair though, with level advantages enabled, my alts would take a beating in there at the moment anyway.

I managed to scrape and claw my way to 375 today. I just cant get a damn Ghost to drop. I've gone through 10 Vanguard/Faction/Crucible packages so far and nothing. I've pretty much hit a wall. With gear only dropping 3 light higher at this stage and my Ghost being 10 light lower than my max i'm basically at the point where nothing will drop any higher until i get a new Ghost.

I finally got back into the raid last night. Didn't beat the final boss though. Sucked because it was so late otherwise I'd have played as long as it took. I really like it as a whole. It's right up there with VoG and miles beyond kings fall and crotas end. We came so close a couple times on the boss and someone would just take too long to get to him after a teleport and that's all she wrote. Just to give an idea of how long I played, i had 1042 kills when I finished. 

23 hours ago, glfpunk said:

I finally got back into the raid last night. Didn't beat the final boss though. Sucked because it was so late otherwise I'd have played as long as it took. I really like it as a whole. It's right up there with VoG and miles beyond kings fall and crotas end. We came so close a couple times on the boss and someone would just take too long to get to him after a teleport and that's all she wrote. Just to give an idea of how long I played, i had 1042 kills when I finished. 

I took my first crack at the raid today. We didn't have time to finish it due to the usual time zone issues but for a first attempt we finished the Siege Engine. To be fair, i don't reckon we would have beaten it anyway since 4 guys were in the mid 350 range which meant staying alive during the Siege Engine damn near impossible. None of it felt overly complex like King's Fall did and it's definitely more forgiving when people go down. We killed the first boss on attempt 4 and it only took 3 waves. I imagine once everyone is over leveled you can probably get him in 2 like the Warpriest. We didn't even have a Hunter so there's room for more DPS per phase with more organisation. The Siege Engine was a lot harder since you really do need 2 people on each part. I have no idea how those guys 2 manned that, it's insane. Plus with everyone being so under leveled at that point it made staying alive hell. I think it took about 6 or 7 attempts and we got it done literally as it was about to explode. RNG was on my side for loot on this one finally! My first King's Fall attempt landed me a single piece of armor. Wrath of the Machine was kind enough to drop both the shotgun and fusion rifle as well as chest and arms. Although i did open both additional chests with the keys. We hit up the exotic chests too but i got nothing. I must have had 50+ engrams drop along the way too including a bunch of legendaries. All my slots were full and the postmaster was about ready to burst.

I'd like to tackle it again once everyone is a higher level just to make it go a lot easier but still, only took about 2 hours to beat the first 2 bosses on our first attempt so that's not too bad.

Got my quest for Thorn the other day.  What is the deal with Archon's Forge? My light level is 369 and all the armor that I've had drop from it has been 365.  I've had every piece drop and also a sniper rifle all at 365 with one exception- the class item.  I seem to get class items drop like every third encounter or so and they're always higher than my light level.  Is it intended to all cap at 365 and just the class items are broken or is it all supposed to go to 385 and the rest of it is broken? I'm looking forward to IB.  Didn't get a chance to mess with Trials at all.  Basara what time do you play?

• Like 1

I'm in the UK, depends on work but if I get on in the evening it's about 7. 

I think the Forge armour is capped at 365, apart from the class items, so it can't be farmed. Not like there's ever enough people in there to farm it anyway! So far I've had the helm and boots, a sniper rifle and half a dozen class items.

I see a lot of people hating on Supremacy for IB but I enjoyed it when I played it release week. My only problem with it is the winning score being 150. It's such a fast paced game mode but because of the high score nearly always goes to the 10min time limit. Drop it down to 100 and I might actually play Crucible regularly!

It'll be interesting to see what the drop rates are like for the IB. The Crucible at the moment seems to be dropping a legendary for me every 3-5 games so there could be a lot of infusion fodder to be had this week. 

I beat the raid last night.  Got up with a guy on reddit and he found four other randoms.  We had probably four wipes on the boss fight and people started dropping but it was a blessing in disguise because they didn't know what the hell they were doing.  Found four other people that were already together and all knew each other.  They had all beaten the raid before and knew what to do.  Only had a couple wipes before we killed him.  If people understand where to go and can clearly communicate it's not too hard of an encounter. 

Altogether in the one raid completion I got helmet, chest, boots, ghost, rocket launcher, and auto rifle.  These are the best raid weapons since the VoG.  I'm not an auto rifle guy but the focused firefly is pretty cool.  The perks on the rocket launcher are awesome.  Was hoping for the scout rifle but will have to try for that one later. 

I like that the raid gear has set perks again rather than the random ones in King's Fall. It was RNG that a weapon dropped, then RNG that it had decent perks and finally RNG if it was higher light. Drop rates in WotM seem much higher too. I don't know if it has guaranteed drops but everyone got something from each of the 2 bosses we killed last week. 

It's a shame I don't like the look of the raid gear this time round. I'll probably wear the gauntlets regardless since the perks work perfectly with the Warlock exotic boots. But when I can dress like a space Viking thanks to the RoI log book I probably won't walk around in full raid gear much.

So the Iron Banner is handing out gear like it's going out of business. I got 2 shotguns (both 384), 2 class items (384 and 385) an artifact (385) and Ghost (385 finally!) as end game drops. I played for about 2 hours and did all the weekly bounties and got boots (385), helm (386), machine gun (385) and the awesomely named The Clever Dragon pulse rifle (386). Along with another pair of boots for hitting rank 3. On top of that i got 19 strange coins from Shaxx weekly bounty, another 385 class item and some 386 boots from leveling him up, yet another bond at 384 and gloves at 384 for leveling Dead Orbit up.That might be my most productive 2 hours in Destiny ever.

Well, it better keep passing out rewards like candy, because the Weekly bounties only give you 3000 rep total, meaning you have to grind out the other half to reach max rank with no dailies to help you.  Not looking forward to that!

5 hours ago, EVA said:

Well, it better keep passing out rewards like candy, because the Weekly bounties only give you 3000 rep total, meaning you have to grind out the other half to reach max rank with no dailies to help you.  Not looking forward to that!

I don't think it'll be too bad. It really helps with wins being a flat 250 all week instead of scaling with the buff. It used to be pointless playing the first few days for anything other than bounties. Once I handed in the weeklies I was well over half way into rank 3. I only need 3250 rep to hit rank 5. Even with a disastrous loosing 5/winning 1 play style that's only 19 games over the next 6 days.

Like you say, there's no rewards or rep to come from the bounties now but I was still getting an end game drop about every 3-4 games. There's another reward for hitting rank 5. A couple of potential 3 of Coin exotics. Toss in a Crucible booster and that's another 2 Crucible ranks and a faction rank. Hopefully some decent infusion fodder to come still.

To be fair, it probably still takes as many games to hit rank 5. Aleast now you can play at your convenience, instead of having to play it pretty much exclusively over the weekend to take advantage of the boons.

Looks like the alt boost is still in effect. Once you hit Rank 5 on your main (or are just a level ahead) your alts get 500 a win, 300 a medallion and each weekly bounty is worth 1500. 

Its a shame I haven't had chance to play on my alts since RoI dropped. You could probably hit rank 5 on them in an hour or so.

5 hours ago, Basara said:

Looks like the alt boost is still in effect. Once you hit Rank 5 on your main (or are just a level ahead) your alts get 500 a win, 300 a medallion and each weekly bounty is worth 1500. 

Its a shame I haven't had chance to play on my alts since RoI dropped. You could probably hit rank 5 on them in an hour or so.

This is good to know, so I can get my Alts up to level 40 before the next IB happens. I'll try and fire up some IB tonight to get better gear. I'm currently floating in that 340 range.

48 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This is good to know, so I can get my Alts up to level 40 before the next IB happens. I'll try and fire up some IB tonight to get better gear. I'm currently floating in that 340 range.

If you're struggling around the 340 level the easiest way to get some good gear and give you a better shot in the Banner is the 320 Sepiks Perfected strike. Load up The Devils Lair from the director and change the difficulty to 320. It will put you in the new strike. It's got match making and there's still loads of people running it for gear. You'll get at least 2 blues (sometimes up to 4) drop from killing the boss up to light 365. It's a bit boring but run it half a dozen times and you'll power up in now time.

• Like 1

OK, I got back on Iron Banner.  With the bounties, it was easy to get to level 5, and I did it in about a day.  Having my exotic shotgun helped with Supremacy.

Now my Guide Book says I need to win 10 Supremacy matches to get that achievement.  However, it seems Supremacy's only available in Iron Banner right now?  I'm not finding it anywhere else.  For whatever reason, winning Supremacy Iron Banner doesn't give me that credit.  So do you have to do that after Iron Banner is over?

384 light on my hunter, IB rank 3...I beat Aksis the day after the raid dropped.   

I played heroic strikes until I hit 365, then spent strange coins on heavy ammo synth (1200+ sc's to Xur).  spent heavy synth on faction rep got me to 372 on raid Friday. 

Raid got me from 372 to 381.  IB got me from 381 to 384.

Raid scout rifle is a lot of DPS on pve bosses.

raid auto rifle is good at pvp and pve it seems.

I have the outbreak prime exotic quest on my Titan, all three characters are north of 380 now.  

my ghorn is 386

kinda bored, hard raid soon yay

I did the Outbreak Prime quest yesterday. Wasn't too bad. We just killed the first boss in the raid three times since it would be quicker. I love the gun. Works well for pvp and pve. I'm at 379 now. Haven't hit rank 5 in IB yet. About halfway through rank 4. 

Hit rank 5 today and got the sidearm. Not exactly my weapon of choice but not a bad haul from the Banner. I've walked away with 3 out of 4 pieces of armor, the class item and 5 different guns. I think it's the first time I've hit rank 5 as early as Friday and definitely the first time I've done it in just 3 sittings. I've not had chance to play on any of my alts since RoI dropped otherwise it would be an easy rank 3, probably 5, on those too in about an hour. The new system is such a huge improvement. No rep boosts forcing you to play over the weekend instead of the week. Easy bounties with guaranteed gear and, in my experience, a drop rate of around 25-33% for end game gear.

My Warlock is sitting at 385 now and just 2 points of light away from 386. 

Ah OK.  I mean I was getting the package rewards when my faction level increased a level, but I wasn't really noticing it gave me the higher light level gear.  The problem I run into is that I quickly run out of the Legendary Marks to raise the light level on the gear and weapons that have lower stats that I want to keep.  

But now that I have a Lord of Wolves at a higher light level, it's really epic for PVP.  

So I ended up knocking out the Iron Banner on my Titan. It's the first time i've played on him since RoI. Only had to play the first 2 story missions to unlock Felwinters Peak and access to the Iron Banner quests. I had enough infusion fodder left over from my warlock to jump him straight from 335 to 382 and by the end of his Banner time he was 385 as well. For some reason the game felt like 3 machine guns as my weapons rewards were what i really wanted.

Finally got the Trespasser and it dropped at 387 which was enough for my Warlock to hit 386. I took it for a spin in the Banner and it's great fun. I've never really used sidearms before but i was getting a bunch of kills with it. They are in kind of a strange place though, they loose too much power over mid range to really compete with your primary and at close range a shotgun is a much better option. But it was fun to play with.

Got to rank 5 on all three characters. Got the gun I was looking for the most- the pulse rifle, and ended up getting it three times. Didn't get the scout which was the second most gun I was interested in. Managed to get all characters to 385. Still haven't done the story missions on my Titan and Warlock, just the first two to unlock the iron temple. Will probably try to knock out a raid tomorrow before reset with my Warlock. Side note- stormcaller Warlock absolutely shreds in crucible. Between the melee range and the super, it's unreal. I usually play with my Titan. Most games with my Warlock I was getting around 2.5 k/D or better. Had a few over 4.0. 

12 hours ago, glfpunk said:

Got to rank 5 on all three characters. Got the gun I was looking for the most- the pulse rifle, and ended up getting it three times. Didn't get the scout which was the second most gun I was interested in. Managed to get all characters to 385. Still haven't done the story missions on my Titan and Warlock, just the first two to unlock the iron temple. Will probably try to knock out a raid tomorrow before reset with my Warlock. Side note- stormcaller Warlock absolutely shreds in crucible. Between the melee range and the super, it's unreal. I usually play with my Titan. Most games with my Warlock I was getting around 2.5 k/D or better. Had a few over 4.0. 

I have finally maxed out (or am minimal XP away from maxing) my Sunsinger subclass on my warlock, so I'm looking forward to starting to build up the Stormcaller class.

I have a feeling in PVE situations that Sunsinger is probably going to be my main class; however.