DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Illogical or not, I really feel like more of these missions should just have matchmaking.  It's not practical to form a fireteam in the social spaces.  No one wants to chat.  It's harder to get them lined up in DestinyLFG as well.  

There are way too many flakes and elites out there to trust full blown raids to matchmaking.   I had a rough enough time going on raids and working with guys I actually liked. 

There's no way I'd make it through a raid with randoms that either wanted to be carried, didn't listen to the guy that obviously knew what he was taking about, or was one of three alpha dogs competing to be raid leader.

19 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Maybe not a Raid, but some of the Strikes and Quest missions definitely.  If they can do matchmaking for a level 350 Strike or Level 41 Prison of Elders, they can do it for other stuff too.

Anything involving a three man fireteam should be relatively safe for matchmaking, however I do think that a lot of us are (or in my case, were) spoiled being at higher light levels and not really remembering how tough it was to get through Devil's Lair as a lowbie and depending on two other players that weren't going to do dumb things at the worst possible time.

I played through the story stuff today outside of the stuff that appears afterwards. I'm going to Quest for a bit before getting something off my Netflix pile of shame.

EDIT: I also never really leveled the Hunter I intended to grind with and create a Titan with in Year 2. I'm debating whether to create a Titan with the Level 40 upgrade thing and just quickly grind out 15 levels with my Hunter (I will have to do grinding on the abilities anyways) or just throw it at my Hunter.  I'm leaning towards just building a Titan.

Bungie have said in the past that your character would carry over to all the sequels but have never mentioned if gear would. Thing is, what is your character without the gear? A face, stats and a light level, and even then anything over the level 40 is just a reflection of your gear anyway.

I kind of feel like they would be using the PC release as an excuse to start over. I'm sure there's a bunch of people who would have preferred to get it on PC when it wasn't available but would have no intention of scrapping the 2-3-4,000 hours they've put into it by the time Destiny 2 is out just to change over. By scrapping Destiny 1 there's nothing holding people back from jumping formats. But it's going to piss off a lot of people than it helps I imagine!

I actually managed to play Archon's Forge 'as intended' yesterday. Me and friend hit it up with our 2 offerings and got a Perfected to drop. A 3rd guy showed up and we just got it done. The Perfected bosses take a massive beating. Me and my buddy both put 12 gjallarhorns in him and it didn't even drop him to half health. All 3 of us went to town with the axe and only just killed him in time. We hit up some patrols, went back and there were 4 people in there. We traded offerings for about 40 mins until everyone was out. The loot wasn't exactly flowing for what was supposed to be one of the main ways to level up but I did walk away with 2 class items at 373 and 374 (infusion fodder for my alts if I ever get chance to play on them) and the Forge exclusive helm and boots. Both capped at 365 so nothing to progress but it keeps the collector in me happy.

Just make the Forge like the Court already Bungie! People want to play it for the exclusive gear, and it's pretty fun, but it's such a hassle and an inefficient way to spend your time at the moment.

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I will say, it always surprised me that Activision of all companies never published the original Destiny on PC.

I hope they figure out for Destiny 2 carrying over all your stats and Guardian over.  But I hope I don't have to start from scratch.

It wouldn't bug me to start from scratch just for the comfort of knowing that everyone else is, but I'd like to get some bonus gear as "thanks" for being a long suffering customer that decided against common sense and bought another incarnation of their fucked up product.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how they handle it from a story point of view too. They already reference our Guardian in the grimoire cards as THE guardian that stopped the vex, killed 2 Hive gods and captured Skolas. Which is the reason why we are sent to help Saladin in RoI. So we are not playing a part, rather each of our individual games is canon in Bungies story telling. To scrap our characters for Year 4 (or whatever) with no story reason would be a bit of a disappointment. I'd at least like the last expansion of Year 3 to involve us going down fighting, defending the Tower or something if they do go with a reset.

Then again, I've probably put more thought into the story for those few sentences than Bungie did in the base game.

10 minutes ago, Basara said:

Then again, I've probably put more thought into the story for those few sentences than Bungie did in the base game.

Considering you and JT might be the only people to read the grimoire... yeah...

God, just reading about all the content on the Destiny Collection disk I just bought is overwhelming.

I should probably start with setting aside from time to actually finally do the Vault of Glass and go from there.  

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Considering you and JT might be the only people to read the grimoire... yeah...

We will have this discussion again once Andromeda comes out and you are trippin' like a schoolgirl over the Codex.

Once you read all of the Vault of Glass / Kabir the Legionless cards, the VoG raid does not seem so random and pointless.

It'd help if you actually got a mission briefing before you went planetside, though, instead of landing flat footed with no sense of purpose wondering what you should do first.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Bioware actually puts time in their lore

Bungie put time into their law too. It's just a shame it's more accessible while sitting on the toilet than it is in the actual game!

I wouldn't mind them putting out some actual novels. I never read any but i seem to remember there being countless Halo books. I wounder why they haven't explored that option for Destiny, rather than leaving all the backstory hidden away in tiny cards.

• Like 1

I try not to worry about Destiny story or lore too much anymore.  None of the major issues have really been addressed.  Did the campaign for the base game not say that destroying the Heart of Darkness would restore the Traveler's light and allow the Speaker to communicate with it again?  So what does that mean for the City and the Guardians for the Traveler's light to be fully restored?  What's the Exo Stranger's role in everything?  What the hell is Darkness?  Queen Mara Sov is MIA, but all the Reef Awoken seem to be doing OK.  I mean, if the Awoken and the Reef lost their Queen, shouldn't there be some sort of power vacuum?   

Maybe such ideas aren't feasible, but in a future game, if I'm waging a campaign as a Guardian, I want to retake territories.  I don't want to see the moon stay a Hive and Fallen nest.  I want to retake the moon and restore it to the glory of the Golden Age.  Maybe I want to build infrastructure and take out all the Hive nests.  I'm not asking for Sim-Destiny, but I would like to do other things besides just the grinding up for a character.

Just for example, in The Witcher 3, you get a whole villa to play around with.  You can get a garden, you can get an alchemy lab.  You can decorate it with all your armors, trophies and paintings you've acquired.  What I like about the villa is that it's a fun, little in-game shrine to a lot of what I accomplished in-game.  But giving it all the extra bells and whistles are extra if you want to spend the money.  But then you can arrange your armor, trophies, weapons, paintings, books, etc. however you want in the designated areas. I think what I like about it is that it's not like you have to essentially build your own township or vault like Fallout 4.  It's not really time consuming to do this, but there's just enough customization options to make it fun. 

So I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't mind my own space station/mansion.  Where I can enshrine myself.

So the monitor mystery puzzle inside the raid was solved and it resulted in getting the quest for an exotic pulse rifle.  Looks pretty awesome.  Precision kills release these nanites that damage other nearby enemies.  Kind of like what wolfpack rounds do.  The way it was figured out was pretty insane.  I'm amazed at what some people can solve.  The quest sounds really long and detailed.  Pretty much the opposite of the Sleeper Simulant.  This gun looks like the sleeper also. 

I still haven't gotten back into the raid yet.  I played it on the day it was released and only got past the first portion and onto the first boss.  We all went in blind so we spent quite a while figuring out mechanics.  One guy had to step out for half hour or so so that was a hold up and I stopped when we dropped a couple guys.  People just weren't doing a good job staying alive and it was just tedious at that point so I called it a night.  Been helping a couple buddies since then get their light levels up.  Hopefully going back into the raid tomorrow night.  Looking forward to getting that pulse rifle quest.  The gun drops at light level 390. 

1 minute ago, glfpunk said:

So the monitor mystery puzzle inside the raid was solved and it resulted in getting the quest for an exotic pulse rifle.  Looks pretty awesome.  Precision kills release these nanites that damage other nearby enemies.  Kind of like what wolfpack rounds do.  The way it was figured out was pretty insane.  I'm amazed at what some people can solve.  The quest sounds really long and detailed.  Pretty much the opposite of the Sleeper Simulant.  This gun looks like the sleeper also. 

I still haven't gotten back into the raid yet.  I played it on the day it was released and only got past the first portion and onto the first boss.  We all went in blind so we spent quite a while figuring out mechanics.  One guy had to step out for half hour or so so that was a hold up and I stopped when we dropped a couple guys.  People just weren't doing a good job staying alive and it was just tedious at that point so I called it a night.  Been helping a couple buddies since then get their light levels up.  Hopefully going back into the raid tomorrow night.  Looking forward to getting that pulse rifle quest.  The gun drops at light level 390. 

I got FIFA yesterday, so my weekend is going to be alternating between the two. My main character is up to 329. Getting to 350 seems like it's going to be a cakewalk. Getting to the 360 minimum for the raid seems like where I'll have to put in work. I still have a lot of Taken King quests active too since I didn't touch them last year. I wonder how many of them I need to abandon or if I can still do most of them.

18 hours ago, Basara said:

Bungie put time into their law too. It's just a shame it's more accessible while sitting on the toilet than it is in the actual game!

The reason this is so funny because it is absolutely true.

So a patch just went live. Nothing about fixing the 385 cap that people assumed it would do. Maybe being able to get past that was intended? Or too big a problem to fix in one week. The 2 biggest things are stopping the Omnigul farm. She will now only drop one set of rewards per strike. And some much needed improvements to the Forge. You are guaranteed an Offering for completing a quarantine patrol and have a high chance of getting another to drop when completing an Offering. You still cant stack them but hopefully guaranteeing a drop will attract more people to the Forge, and with increased drop rates inside it, more will stick around.