DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

REALLY GREAT DESTINY PLAYERS IN MY OPINION ARE HUNTERS~!  WORD, BIG SHOW~!

As if I needed more reasons to love Big Show.

I'm totally bummed that all of these guys probably play on PS4. I wonder which workers are active in the WWE clan?

Big Show shitting on Titans is great! Guy looks like he genuinely enjoys playing Destiny. I know it's easier to hit 335 now but back when it was 320 i remember reading somewhere that all he was missing was a 320 class item when the loot system was still a mess. He must have put some serious hours into it (or got insanely lucky with RNG). Would be cool to see some gameplay footage from him.

In unrelated news, i picked up a new headset today. It's the first 'real' headset I've ever brought for gaming. I just used the in ear Bluetooth sets for the PS3 and 360 and I've been using the free wired cable that came with the PS4 for the past 2 years. I picked up the Sony Gold 2.0 set since it's pretty cheap and seems to be a decent headset for the amount of money you spend. Holy shit Destiny sounds like a completely different game.There's sound effects in there that I've never heard before. Literally everything sounds different, i regret not getting something like this years ago.

Might have to fire up Bloodborne again later in 7.1 so i can crap my self.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I will not buy this game

I will not buy this game

I will not buy this game

I just preordered it. I basically have the sunk cost fallacy in full effect with this thing. I paid for the original, paid for the first two DLC packs, paid for Taken King, so what's another $30?

Well, it was a disastrous launch. Destiny was down for pretty much 2 hours when they hit the switch to start Rise of Iron due to server load and then they had to implement a queuing system to log in. I was 299,994 at one point. I'm not sure how they screwed it up so badly when The Taken King, a much bigger launch, worked perfectly. Still, if the servers were full and there were still 300,000 people trying to get in, the games definitely got some life left in it.

Anyway, i got in eventually. In terms of content, its much bigger than The Dark Below and House of Wolves but a fair amount smaller than The Taken King. Well, not exactly smaller, it adds about the same amount of content in terms of new areas, if anything The Plaguelands are bigger than the Dreadnought, but the story is shorter. I think it was 5 missions but it's fast paced and the missions are fairly extensive. The final mission is great and i enjoyed the story more than the end of TTK. It's more personal rather than galaxy threatening. The new social space is pretty cool and you literally have to scale the mountain one agonizing jump at a time without falling down if you want to reach the top.

There's a whole bunch of quests (and it looks like a lot more than i haven't unlocked yet) but we had to do the Gjallarhorn quest first! The new mission it unlocks is epic. I think it said in the RoI log book that there are 4 exotic quests. the Ghorn and Thorn are 2, i'm guessing Khvostov is one. I imagine the 4th is linked to the raid like Touch of Malice was.

I've not tried any of the new strikes yet, i did do one Heroic and several normal. Got a strike chest key but i haven't used it yet. Think i might wait until i know what the possible rewards are.

Haven't tried any Crucible so i don't know what the new game mode is like. There are now dead Ghosts in Crucible maps now but thankfully you can get them by making a private game by yourself, you don't have to hunt them down while getting shot in actual matches.

They've tried to keep the Reef somewhat relevant. I happened to be close to leveling up Variks and Petra. Variks gave me a 337 pulse rifle and 338 bond. Petra gave me some new Queens Armour boots at 340. Vanguard and Faction rewards seem to be similar. I got a 345 gun from ranking up the Vanguard. Not sure what the maximum light level items you can get from them but until you hit that cap they are back to being relevant again.

The new light cap is 385 but there appears to be somewhat of a soft cap at around 350-352. After cashing in my vast amount of legendary and exotic engrams (i haven't decoded anything for months since there was no point once i hit 335) I managed to hit 350. A lot of people seem to be struggling to pass that. The problem is Ghosts and artifacts. I got lucky with an artifact from a legendary helm engram at 347 and you can buy a Ghost at 350 (i also got one drop at 340). But with exotics only decoding a point or 2 above your max when you hit 350 it means you've got to scrape and claw for every light past that to make up the difference. I don't know if that's by design or if somethings bugged that stops you from getting gear past 352. Either way, hitting the 385 raid 30 light levels lower than it recommends will be interesting. To be fair, i wont get a chance to try the raid until at least next week anyway though so maybe other ways of getting higher light gear will be discovered.

All in all, some damn good fun. I don't think it will have the staying power of TTK since there aren't as many new missions or gimmicks but they'e also said they wont go as long without some sort of content up date this year.

Scaling Felwinter Peak was an absolute trip.  We spent roughly 45 minutes doing that as soon as the space opened up and had a blast.  Being the first one to the top felt like a genuine accomplishment.

I've really liked the 2 exotic quests I've done so far.  They both felt like they required a sufficient amount of effort to achieve without feeling grind-y.

Archon's Forge is a MESS right now, though.  You can actually get locked out of your own ritual before it even starts!  This happened to me:  I made my offering to start the ritual, realized I wanted to switch something on my gear beforehand, went into my menu...and when I came out, the door had already closed.  So I failed the ritual.

And unlike Court of Oryx, you DO lose your offering if you don't complete the ritual.

Also unlike Court, you can only carry one offering at a time.  Which seems to me to defeat the whole purpose of having a big social event space.  If everybody is constantly having to leave to farm their next offering, then you don't get the crowds of players massing to play.

That's the one thing that is obviously due for a major overhaul at some point in the coming months.

I've not tried the Forge yet. I did wounder why it wouldn't let me pick up a second key when 2 dropped for me. That would explain it. Think I might dabble in it since you can't hoard keys anyway. But yeah, I'm guessing it's something they will address. I'm curious to see what sort of gear drops for you if you're not the one that starts the ritual. Is it worth going in as a team of 3, each with a key, to triple up on the loot?

Bungie have responded about the 350 light thing. Looks like it's intentional (probably to slow down people who've hoarded). The quest that gives you an artefact drops at 350 so that solves the that problem. Once you hit 350 light it's 50/50 if gear decodes above it rather than guaranteed. So it's a sort of combination of TTK and Spring Update system. Legendaries and exotics will decode up to 365 but it's a slower process. And while it doesn't look like you'll ever get gear worse than your max light (unlike the TTK) it's only a 50% chance to get gear better than it. I guess it's a fair way to extend the grind without feeling too gindy and maybe they will open it up a bit in the future (perhaps when light increases to 400 for hard mode?)

Maybe all that's why you can't carry more than one key to Archon's Forge? To stop you sitting there and grinding out gear? But you're right, it does take the social aspect out of a social space. Something they will have to try and find a middle ground on once they start tinkering with things.

I agree with you about Felwinter Peak. It's a simple thing that's a lot of fun. It's like they've took people love of trying to glitch out of maps with ridiculous jumps and made it apart of the game. I can see all the people who complained about the jumping puzzles in raids hating on it since there's a SIVA Cluster at the top. 

I spent way too much time on there yesterday. It was the first time me and 2 friends all had the day off when a new expansion was released though so it's all good. I wont have as much time to put in it today but I'll try and knock out the artefact quest and some some strikes. Maybe try an under-levelled Nightfall like its Year 1 all over again!

Didn't take long for people to discover a workaround for Archon's Forge. 

It's pretty much the same trick people used to carry more keys during House of Wolves. You can only carry one Archon's Forge offering at a time. So you store one on each character and one in the vault so you can at least do 4 runs without having to farm again. Just transfer an offering over with the app after using one.

As for getting locked out of the door. You need a Splicer Key to get back in. You can farm these in the very first area of patrol you land in in the Plaguelands. There's a Brood Wizard in there that seems to have a 100% drop rate. Kill it. Go back to orbit. Rinse and repeat. You can only carry 10 per character but you can use the same trick as the offerings. 10 per character, 10 in the vault for a total of 40. They're used for various different things, not just the Archon's Forge so it's worth having a few in supply.

It's not ideal, doesn't solve the problem of loosing your offering if you fail but it helps.

Also, if you die in there don't respawn. If you do you'll be on the other side of the door and have to use a key. Let someone revive you.

I'll have to try this out later but that's what's going around at the moment.

I've been enjoying the dlc so far. I hoarded about 25 exotic engrams and had the rest of the vault full with random legendary weapons and armor as well as factions edged. I ended up at 348 before I even left the tower on the first day. In hindsight I wish i would've waited. 

I really liked the story and I was also glad it was short. It's not why the majority of people play. Most of us want to get into the new quests and finding new ways to level up. 

There wasn't much leveling up in the story missions and it was slow going once I got to around 352. But people found the new loot cave. Knowing that blue engrams capped at 340 but blues from heroic strike boss drops actually drop at a rate corresponding to your light level up to 365 led people back to the Omnigul farm. Works like a charm. A tether and some heavy dps just like when farming for the Grasp of Malok in the past allow you the chance to drop her when she first appears before the final room and she drops at least two blue items right there up to 365 light. And this can be done on the 320 level strike. I'd expect it to get patched soon. I was able to get to 365 with a little time investment and had a bunch of spare 365 items to infuse on other characters as well. Actually it got me to 364 because I was held back by the artifact but was able to get a 365 artifact by buying a legendary engram from the cryptarch. 

But yeah, would have been nice to have all those exotic engrams right now because they can decrypt up to 385. Looking forward to getting into the raid tonight. 

And yeah, fuck Archon's Forge. They need to fix that shit. 

11 hours ago, glfpunk said:

I've been enjoying the dlc so far. I hoarded about 25 exotic engrams and had the rest of the vault full with random legendary weapons and armor as well as factions edged. I ended up at 348 before I even left the tower on the first day. In hindsight I wish i would've waited. 

I really liked the story and I was also glad it was short. It's not why the majority of people play. Most of us want to get into the new quests and finding new ways to level up. 

I made a similar mistake. I played the story first, assuming the blue engrams would decode at much higher light that 340. Once they didn't, I cashed in my supply of legendaries and exotics to hit 350.

The grind from 350-363 was pretty easy. I didn't farm Omnigul, i just played through heroic strikes. With the rep boost and streak kicking in I knocked out a bunch of Vanguard and faction packages along the way.

The tricky part is getting a Ghost and artefact at 365. I was getting more exotics from bosses than I was rare Ghosts dropping. I eventually got one at 363. Artefacts I got lucky early with a 355 and then 357 but I didn't get any more until I was stuck at 363 and a 364 dropped. A faction drop netted me the 365 ghost. 

Turns out Eris is your girl for artefacts. I don't know if it's intended or just an accident since she's technically a vendor so her gear drops up to 385 like the others. If you rank her up the package has a chance to drop an artefact, I scored a 367. It's not a guaranteed drop though and she's a bitch to rank up.

Once I cracked that 365 barrier last night progress seems steady again. It just takes much longer now. Heroic drops are capped at 365 so it's factions and exotics needed now to progress. Crucible legendaries also drop above the 365 barrier. I levelled up the Vanguard and Shaxx and brought 2 vendor packages with motes/heavy. I ended up with a 366 primary, special and heavy, a 366 helm, 367 class item and ghost and a 369 pair of gloves.

Kind of wish I still had those 25 exotics I blew through a couple of days ago!

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It took basically 24 hours but a group already beat the new raid with only 3 players

Yeah the Wrath of the Machine looks like it's a shorter raid and more forgiving with the mechanics than King's Fall. It took worlds first about 2 hours. To be fair, it was that Slayerage guys team who 3 manned it. He may well be the top PVE player in Destiny. He's also 2 manned the final boss already. I've not really looked any any spoilers from the raid since i wont get chance to take a crack at it until at least next weekend but i don't think they cheesed any of the mechanics either. In KF you had to have at least 4 people minimum to beat the entire raid. Definitely not something 'normal' players will be able to do while everyone is so under leveled but hopefully that means once everyone's a little more powerful it wont require a decent team to have the full 6 to clear it.

Hit 370 on my Warlock today. It's both easier and harder to level up past 365 it seems. Harder because 366+ gear is harder to come by and easier because they seem to give you higher light items once you crack the 365 threshold. Exotics were dropping at 371 when i was around 367 as opposed to just 1 or 2 light higher was i was in the 350s.

I took a break of grinding gear to fill out some pages in the record book because that Days of Iron gear may be the best looking armor they've done yet. The worst part is 20 strikes since it has to be the standard 320 SIVA playlist, not the heroic playlist. So the drops from it are crap and it's a hell of a grind. Fortunately there's enough points available to hit the required rank 10 without having to enter the raid, wait for ToO or the Iron Banner to come around or even complete all the normal tasks. Most of the required tasks should get done through normal playing so there's no need to grind it really. I think i was about 25% done before i decided to go for the full set of gear. You only need (i think) 40% to hit rank 10 to unlock it all. I want to look like a space Viking damn it!

Ugh, that Siva strike playlist was murder.  I grinded that out on Friday, and even with every rep booster and 3oC I could get my hands on active, it was still not worth the hours that fucking took.

I thought the Archon's Forge component was going to be difficult, too, given how shitty that whole system is, but fortunately, there's ONE good thing about the Forge's design:  the corridor leading from the Keep to the Forge is REALLY long, which means you have much better odds of matchmaking with a group than you did in Court of Oryx.

Granted, half the time you'll matchmake with a bunch of other would-be freeloaders who don't have an offering to use either...but then you just haul ass back outta there and do it again.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Ugh, that Siva strike playlist was murder.  I grinded that out on Friday, and even with every rep booster and 3oC I could get my hands on active, it was still not worth the hours that fucking took.

I thought the Archon's Forge component was going to be difficult, too, given how shitty that whole system is, but fortunately, there's ONE good thing about the Forge's design:  the corridor leading from the Keep to the Forge is REALLY long, which means you have much better odds of matchmaking with a group than you did in Court of Oryx.

Granted, half the time you'll matchmake with a bunch of other would-be freeloaders who don't have an offering to use either...but then you just haul ass back outta there and do it again.

Archon's Forge is a big ol' bust for me. I've tried all the CoO tricks to spawn in with other people and so far i haven't seen a single person there yet. Literally not one person. The drop rates for Offerings seem game breakingly low. I've found 3 so far. And loosing one when you fail means i haven't dared try to solo an encounter yet since it was hard enough when me and a friend 2 manned a couple. Granted i am higher light now, with a Gjallarhorn, so i might take the plunge and try and solo one tonight. The other problem is it's such a slog to get to too, having to go through 4 separate areas on patrol compared to being the next section over for CoO. For a public event it's not very public or accommodating.

All they had to do was copy the Court of Oryx idea and maybe up the rewards to encourage people. 370 blues perhaps, to give you a reason to run it over strikes. Nothing too powerful but just another option to grind once you hit that 365 soft cap. Instead they've created a ghost town.

I think i might actually grind Crucible tonight. Seems the most efficient way to get 366+ gear. I played the 7 games of Supremacy yesterday and got 2 legendary drops above the 365 legendary engram cap and an exotic from a 3 of Coin. On top of those you are leveling up both Shaxx and a faction for more shots at 366+ gear. If you play Clash the games only take 5-7 mins making it a fairly quick way to get gear after the Heroic strike playlist has run its course. With RNGs blessing that is.

I recently got back into Destiny this week because of Rise of Iron.  I had kind of left it aside for a while mainly because I HATED the new Light Level system.  Why?  At some point the missions for Taken King just started getting insanely hard without a much higher Light Level, which I wasn't crazy about. Not to mention, all the cool weapons and gear I had spent so much time getting in the previous raids had basically become obsolete for Taken King. 

So I ended up doing a lot of the Court of Oryx, and I noticed something.  It's basically another damn treasure cave.  But get five people together for Court of Oryx where players just generally convalesce because it's an open patrol area. Now granted, between buying some new items from Xur, I was basically able to level up to about 314.

The drops for Court of Oryx aren't always great.  But if you string enough together, you will get some decent engrams mixed in there. So I dunno.  The continued grinding just kind of annoys me. I don't like that I have to basically scrap all my old armor and weapons to get new stuff.   

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I recently got back into Destiny this week because of Rise of Iron.  I had kind of left it aside for a while mainly because I HATED the new Light Level system.  Why?  At some point the missions for Taken King just started getting insanely hard without a much higher Light Level, which I wasn't crazy about. Not to mention, all the cool weapons and gear I had spent so much time getting in the previous raids had basically become obsolete for Taken King. 

So I ended up doing a lot of the Court of Oryx, and I noticed something.  It's basically another damn treasure cave.  But get five people together for Court of Oryx where players just generally convalesce because it's an open patrol area. Now granted, between buying some new items from Xur, I was basically able to level up to about 314.

The drops for Court of Oryx aren't always great.  But if you string enough together, you will get some decent engrams mixed in there. So I dunno.  The continued grinding just kind of annoys me. I don't like that I have to basically scrap all my old armor and weapons to get new stuff.   

It is kind of gutting still that all the gear from the first year is obsolete now. I can understand Bungies reasons, the raid weapons were too powerful too fast and they wanted to remove burns from primaries. But yeah, it's still annoying. But as of RoI, aside from the old raid weapons, the only worthwhile year one gun that doesn't have a current version is the Icebreaker. Also from TTK onward (until at least Destiny 2 anyway) all gear is infusible to the new max light so at least that problem wont happen again for a while.

If you're looking to level up past 314 to get back into missions then it's a lot more straight forward now. Just make sure you are wearing your highest light gear when you cash in your engrams or pick up items from the Court or strike bosses. Blue engrams will drop up to 340, so play pretty much anything you want until you hit around that point. After that it's the Heroic strike playlist you want, items from the bosses drop up to 365. After that it's down to you how far you want to go, nothing apart from the raid is above light 360. The new raid, i believe, starts at 350 and ends at 380.

So, i hit up the Crucible for nearly 2 hours tonight, it's not my favorite game mode but damn it is efficient once you hit 365! Using a rep booster and a Crucible rep gain class item, along with completing the bounties, it took 9 games over 1 hour 45 to rank up Shaxx and half a Faction rank. I got 7 items. A Primary at 375, 2 specials at 372 and 373, 2 chests at 372 and 373, a class item at 373 and an exotic helm that turned into a 374. I think this might be the way forward until i can hit up the raid. 

• Like 1

I really should have put time into quests in Taken King. I did something before Rise of Iron the other day and it opened up a lot in Taken King, which made me go "why didn't I do that a couple months ago."  Live and learn I guess. I haven't put much time into it. I killed an hour the other night trying to ascend the Felwinter Peak puzzle. I'll definitely go full bore at it later this week.