DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

I ran KF for the first time this weekend. Due to varying factors, I only made it to Sisters and of course didn't complete it before the reset. I'll take another stab at it sometime this week. May just find someone with that checkpoint and finish it that way.

With that said, Bungie needs to go to hell with all of these damn jumping sections in their games. A lot of time is wasted because of my jumping trials.

10 hours ago, misanthrope304 said:

Hey JT, I know you hate the game now and everything, but they will run a deal for last gen players. Once they get an xb1 they will be able to purchase everything for $40, if you were so inclined.

I got an e-mail from Bungie about that deal and am seriously considering it.   I still hate this game.... a lot.. but attitudes can change. 

Not looking forward to the Light level grind if I reinstate myself.

They fixed infusions so they now give 100%.  The april update made it a lot easier to reach max light quickly with more avenues to attain said light.  Its not nearly as grindy as it used to be.  They fucked up subclasses though, specifically arc and solar hunters imo.

Edited by misanthrope304
Because I fucked up

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but last week I FINALLY got a Grasp of Malok to drop from Omnigul.  Not a god roll or anything, but pretty decent with rangefinder, fitted stock, a Red Dot sight, and I think Spray and Play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misanthrope304 said:

Im still looking for a grasp of malok, I may just have to farm it at some point.

I had one for a bit.  It is okay but I wouldn't even bother if Shadow Price back into the arsenal. 

Hell, Apple of Discord felt a tad better than Grasp.  I wrecked with Apple in the last IB I was in.

I farmed a couple of decent rolls on the Grasp back when Omnigul was the nightfall. Despite its reputation I never really got on with it. Pulse rifles are my weapon of choice for my limited crucible outings but I always go back to Nirwen's Mercy. Something about that gun just clicks with me.

Haven't played much recently, I've knocked out the occasional CoE but I've not really bothered putting much time in with the light level increase next month. Finally got around to pre-ordering Rise of Iron so I'll probably farm up some engrams and resources over the next couple of weeks but nothing major. You can never tell what Bungie will make obsolete when they release a new expansion.

I've hoarded up a few exotic engrams just incase. They changed the way they worked with TTK. Determining the item and light level when it was decoded, not when it dropped. So there's a chance that, even if it's an old item, it might decode at a higher light. There's nothing they can turn into now that I need so worse case scenario I level the cryptach up with them when RoI drops.

Got my Titan to rank five in IB and decided to not bother with my other two characters. With the loot I got I was able to get all three characters to 335 without having to do any swapping around of gear. It really is simple and quick to increase light level. A gun and piece of armor for three characters on CoE, hard mode raid, Trials, and IB when that's active. That's a lot of loot. I've got loads of 335 gear in the vault. I'm about to start hoarding exotic engrams to decrypt after ROI. 

So, looking at some information for Rise of Iron, here's what we can expect:

5 new missions, a new social, a new patrol area and Archon's Forge all attached to the Cosmodrome. From the looks of it, it's maybe 1/3 the size of the current map. Archon's Forge looks to be this expansions version of Court of Oryx, hopefully it's got more staying power. There's also a bunch of quests to complete.

Most of the new exotics will come from quests. I kind of like that idea, stops any of them excluding people from content based on an RNG drop. As long as the new quests aren't as tedious as the old Thorn bounty or the Chaparone quest i'm down with that.

3 strikes. One brand new one and a SIVA update to Phogoth and Sepiks Prime. Similar to what they did with the Archon Priest strike I guess. Strike bosses now have a chance to drop a key (like the old PoE) that unlocks chests containing strike specific gear rather than the ridiculously low drop rates they currently have.

A new raid. The normal mode raid will be at light 385 and drop on the Friday after RoI is released. The hard mode will come at a later date and rise the light level to 400. The Nightfall is supposedly 360 so I assume legendary gear will drop up to 370, you'll need the normal mode raid to hit 385 and hard for 400. Presumably Iron Banner and Trials will follow the raids light levels like they currently do.

No increase in vault space. A real kick in the nuts. Mines pretty much full already and there's at least 3 (4?) sets of new end game gear. Apparently they've hinted that they will add vault space in a patch later on.

Custom, private, games in the Crucible. And a new game mode, Supremacy. Think Kill Confirmed from Call of Duty. When you kill someone they drop a red engram, you have to collect that to get points for the kill.

Iron Banner is getting an overhaul but not a lot of info on it. There's no more rep boosts from items or boons but it will require less xp to hit rank 5 now. Gear will be rewarded for completing bounties rather than end game RNG drops. Presumably Saladin will still sell set items each Banner.

No Trails the first week of Rise of Iron. I guess it's because the raid drops on the Friday when ToO would start. I'd also expect an Iron Banner pretty early into RoI release since it's an IB related expansion. RoI drops 4 weeks after the current Banner finishes and it's normally on a 4-5 week rotation anyway.

So it's smaller than TTK but it's also nearly half the price. It's got a more content than Crota's End and House of Wolves. Still, with Dedtiny 2 probably a year away they're going to have to add something in the meantime to keep the hardcores happy. Festival of the Lost is back in October and Sparrow Racing Leage in December but hopefully they don't leave it until April to add any more meaningful content this time.

What is frustrating (and I hate to sound like a broken record) is all the stuff promoting Rise of Iron yet again fails to mention the cost.

It is the usual LOOK AT ALL THIS ADDITIONAL CONTENT!!!! which again would be great and totally justified - if it didn't make all previous version of the game obsolete. Plus as Basara mentions - there is a legit schedule coming sooner rather than later.

I have dropped far too much money on this game and probably will end up buying Rise of Iron because I am stupid. I just hate myself for it.

(I realized this over the weekend - I don't think there is a single release the rest of this year - at a minimum - that interests me. So Rise of Iron might be my "Xmas Game". I have already finished more games in the last 8 months than in the 2 years I spent playing Destiny so the break was definitely worth it)

Okay - back to yelling at the clouds

I think the Skeleton Keys are neat, for several reasons, not the least of which being that if strike-specific gear continues to work as it has since the April update, it will drop higher than your light level - making the strike playlists another reliable avenue to pursue max light.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It is the usual LOOK AT ALL THIS ADDITIONAL CONTENT!!!! which again would be great and totally justified - if it didn't make all previous version of the game obsolete. Plus as Basara mentions - there is a legit schedule coming sooner rather than later.

I have dropped far too much money on this game and probably will end up buying Rise of Iron because I am stupid. I just hate myself for it.

Okay - back to yelling at the clouds

Yeah, once you've started playing you're kind of locked in. If you decided half way in that you didn't want to buy the latest expansion you're essentially locked out of about 80% of the content with each new update.

For those who do keep up to date with expansions Bungie have finally started to take a step in the right direction with old content. Instead of one step forward two steps back like it's been for the past 2 years. The April update increased the light, but it increased the raid gears light to match. That's the first time they've brought forward old content even if it was just for a mini update. They have also said that all year two gear can be infused to year three levels. So while Kings Fall and Challenge of the Elders will still be 335 at least the gear can be infused to 400.

I can see why they don't want year one gear coming back. They went to strong to fast. The raid weapons were overpowered. No one used anything but those sets of guns. But at the same time, it's like the entire first year of the game was a waist of time. Whether people agree with that decision or not is another discussion.

The old strikes were another issue. They basically made anything that wasn't Taken related useless after TTK came out. Again, it looks like they've listened. Archon Priest and Omnigul were brought forward in April and Phogoth and Sepiks Prime are back with RoI. With more emphasis on strike exclusive gear it sounds like all the current strikes will be in rotation again. I think it's just the Nexsis that hasn't received a new paint job yet.

I just added it up, I've spent about £130 on this game over 2 years. I've played it for a disturbing amount of hours but that's a hell of a lot for one game.

The problem is where do they go after December? The Taken King went 7 months without any real content being added and people were complaining by January. This update is half the size. I don't think people will be too thrilled about having to drop another £25 in 3 months time for more content but can they keep supplying free updates (or reasonably priced updates) until Destiny 2 hits, whenever that may be?

Bungie are incredibly luck they had such a huge following coming into this. I don't think the same game, made by another studio, would have survived the year or 2 it's taken to get it on track.

I find yelling at kids to stay off my lawn helps. The clouds have done nothing to me.

42 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think the Skeleton Keys are neat, for several reasons, not the least of which being that if strike-specific gear continues to work as it has since the April update, it will drop higher than your light level - making the strike playlists another reliable avenue to pursue max light.

They made a few 'quality of life' improvements with the April update like the strike gear being max light. If that continues and the nightfall keeps its higher drop rates it at least makes those, and strikes relevant again while people are levelling up.

100% infusion. Which is staying.

All legendaries and above dropping higher than your current light.

Same with the factions and gunsmith dropping gear only 5 light lower than the max instead of 40 like it was when TTK first came out. There was literally no reason to bother with any of that stuff. Especially when infusion was only 80%. Grind factions in hopes of finally getting a peice of gear you want. Then having to use 2 peices of raid gear to level it up. That's after the RNG needed for the raid gear AND its light. No thanks. Ideally factions etc will drop at 370 with a boost to 390 later on. But they've not commented on anything like that as far as I know.

Personally I'd like more 3 man PVE end game content like the prison. But I get why we won't have that straight away.

Game Informer has yet another Destiny interview, this time with the raid team.

It's a good read, but what I thought was most pertinent was they said Wrath of the Machine would be closer to Crota's End, in the sense that it would be more about action than executing complex mechanics and increasing your light level will actually be relevant as far as making the raid easier.  I look forward to that, so long as, you know, it's not as buggy as Crota's End was.  It was a lot of fun to Rambo through that raid once you out-leveled it.

And it is really interesting to consider, in a game built on level progression, how little your level actually mattered in King's Fall - at least in the sense that there was very little value in out-leveling it.  Being 335 doesn't make your team do the totems correctly, or make their jumps at the ships and the transepts, or help you run the platforms at the end, or any of the stuff that actually matters at Oryx.  At best, all you got out of it was maybe getting to skip a DPS round on Warpriest/Golgy/sisters.  Everything else, there's really not much difference in being 320, or even 310.

Sound promising. Kings Fall was great the first few times but with it being so mechanic heavy and repetitive I think I only played it maybe a dozen times. After a while 'stand here and snipe' for 3 of the 4 bosses got pretty boring. And with Oryx having 50 things going on at once it only took one weak link to screw up a run. Plus all those damn jumping sections. 

VoG is still the perfect combination of a fight and mechanics. Crota was buggy as hell but I liked that none of the mechanics actually needed all 6 people to complete. Skolas was repetitive but would have been ok if it was worth doing. The ridiculously low drop rates for a primary from him and the fact that everything else you got could be obtained from the 32 and 34 prison kind of made him pointless.

Wrath of the Machines could be promising. If it's more of a fire fight and less needlessly complex mechanics/jumping sections where levelling up actually matters so there's a reason to go back in there it could be good.