DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

11 minutes ago, misanthrope304 said:

49 calcified fragments found on my hunter, just needing the golgoroth challenge mode

Ah, codex stuff.  I remember when I really cared about my Grimoire score.  Getting the Touch of Malice would've been icing on the cake.  Oh, well..

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Well too be fair - I think mis is doing it for the Year 2 Moments of Triumph

True, and I remember how much I cared about Y1 MoTs when I suddenly discovered that my only orb left to fill was killing Skolas and I was totally jazzed when two randoms and I finally put his ass in the ground.

I haven't even bothered to log in to check on my character since I stopped playing.  Surprised by how much I still like to talk about the game, yet have zero interest in picking it back up.

• Like 1

Honestly - if it wasn't for the fact that I run into the same problems Chaos does with the new patches - I probably would have played a little.

But I have enough to keep me occupied at the moment

Destiny is always dodgy with the updates. Mine takes 10 mins to 'prepare' as it sits there on 10% forever then seconds to download the actual update. And i have to have enough space free for the entire Destiny file every time. It's like it needs a second 40gig to scan it in to make sure it's all there before downloading the new stuff. I don't think any other game does this.

They did officially bring Trials back today.

If nothing fucks up while Trials is running - IB will be back on Tuesday

And they announced it will be Clash

Put a sizable dent into the Crucible quest this morning. Finished of the wins/points quest with 2 games a piece in Skirmish and Salvage and did the 4x6 auto rifle kills at the same time. Weirdly i don't suck with auto rifles despite it being like trying to kill someone by hitting them with a pillow. 11 of my 17 kills in one game were from auto rifles. If i'm reading it right i just need 4x6 kills with pulse, scout and hand cannons to unlock The Mountaintop quest.

If the Banner is back next week i'll probably do them in there. I don't really need to play the Banner this time around but i might as well try and get some free loot in the process.

• Like 1

Yesterday was a big crucible day for me, got the weekly crucible bounties done on my hunter and warlock and completed the trials of osiris bounties on my warlock.  Thats my first real attempt at trials.  I am not a fan.  it gave me very shitty pulse rifle with a shitty roll for the gold tier.  Gotba patience n time from the weekly bounty on my warlock, and a satire....satiriene rapier? From the crucible rank package.  Decent roll on that.

Trials can go (eat a bag o ' dicks) kick rocks.

21 hours ago, Basara said:

Destiny is always dodgy with the updates. Mine takes 10 mins to 'prepare' as it sits there on 10% forever then seconds to download the actual update. And i have to have enough space free for the entire Destiny file every time. It's like it needs a second 40gig to scan it in to make sure it's all there before downloading the new stuff. I don't think any other game does this.

I've thought about upgrading the HD in my PS4, but I figure "what's the point, now?" I will probably upgrade to a Neo in a year.

I have climbed The Mountaintop.

Fuck it i was bored so i knocked out the rest of the quest.

It took 24 games of Crucible with me going a rather respectable 17-7.

Despite maining a scout rifle for PVE i'm not a fan of them in the Crucible. Wasn't looking forward to the 4x6 kills with it. Never could get to grips with the MIDA despite its reputation so i went with the Tlaloc. That is one dirty gun when your super is up! i was out gunning The Last Word in close range. I think i hit around 15 kills with it in one game. Broke out my precious Thorn for some nostalgia themed fun for the hand cannon section of the quest, and what have they done to it!? Granted it was overpowered before but it's useless now. They've taken an entirely unique gun and made it near unusable. Hawkmoon! now there's your broken hand cannon! I switched to it for the last 2 games and it rips people apart if you can get those bonus bullets to proc. I 2 shotted a guy to the head with it and took out a Hunter on Arc Blade with 4 shots, poor fool didn't know what happened.

I expected The Mountaintop part of the quest to take some time. You need 20 points. Wins are 3, losses are 1. I managed to go 6-2. Apparently i don't suck at crucible when i'm playing to win.

In conclusion, they need to tear down the crucible and start again. They've just nerfed so much to try and balance it that very few weapons feel unique. Most of the grenades are useless (anything with damage over time isn't worth using) and there's next to no heavy or special ammo any more.

Assuming that leaked list is correct, and its account based like year 1 and not character based, that's the year 2 Moments of Triumph taken care of. If it is character based i need to do the Golgoroth challenge mode on my Warlock still. fingers crossed.

• Like 1

It breaks my heart to hear about how fucked the Crucible is.  Iron Banner used to be my thing.  I still remember the great runs DVDVR and affiliate guilds had as well as my good runs with the DARPA crew. 

Good on ya for sticking with it, Basara!

• Like 1

Well I saw a thing this morning that basically confirmed last gen Destiny will be worthless

It will no longer get Trials or IB. Nor will it get any special events (like say sparrow racing)

Plus - if I heard the video right, you will need Taken King to be able to play it at all

For a company that says that they want to learn from past horrible decisions, that is a really horrible decision.... and yet a logical and understandable one.

It is obviously a cost cutting and personnel measure, so I assume that they're doing into in order to shift devs around to either keep D2 as close to target as possible or cobble together content for current gen D1 to keep the bulk of the hardcores interested in the game until D2 launches.

I imagine that the Bungie Boards are on fire right now, but 360 and PS3 peeps are in the minority as far as the customer base goes. 

Suits me just fine since the game appears to be worthless anyway thanks to them finding new ways to break the game while trying to fix old glitches.

It sucks for those still playing on the old systems but those consoles are a decade old now. The usual excuse for anything lacking is that the game is being held back by the old systems so hopefully Destiny 2 is the game everyone wanted Destiny to be now that they've got rid of those constraints.

I get why they are canning Trials and IB for last gen. Come September they will be dropping year 3 loot, whatever level that may be. They would have to be running 2 separate events, one for each generation, if they kept it going.

As for needing TTK, I hadn't heard that. How much of the original Destiny is really left after 2 years worth of updates? I don't imagine anyone still playing doesn't already own TTK anyway.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

It breaks my heart to hear about how fucked the Crucible is.  Iron Banner used to be my thing.  I still remember the great runs DVDVR and affiliate guilds had as well as my good runs with the DARPA crew. 

Good on ya for sticking with it, Basara!

Iron Banner used to be the only Crucible I played. Going in with a full team of 6 was always great fun. Even if it was unfair to the poor randoms you were playing. I think it gets a lot of unfair hate sometimes too. I've had lag and I've had shitty drops but not on the level a lot of people complain about. 

There is 0% chance anyone still playing this game doesn't have TTK.  I don't think you can even buy Vanilla Destiny first-hand anymore.  I only ever see the TTK collector's edition on the racks.

Although I'm now imagining the one sad guy who's hitting refresh on LFG, trying to find someone to play Crota's End with him, for all eternity.

When he finally finds a group, it's just a couple of 335 dudes trying to get Flawless Raider, and they boot his ass right away.

*single tear*

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

Although I'm now imagining the one sad guy who's hitting refresh on LFG, trying to find someone to play Crota's End with him, for all eternity.

When he finally finds a group, it's just a couple of 335 dudes trying to get Flawless Raider, and they boot his ass right away.

*single tear*

At least the poor guy trying to clear the VoG for the first time on the base game will have people to carry him who are doing the No Time To Explain quest!

Well again - this is the problem with updating the base game instead of releasing a sequel

It's one thing to be "Shit - I can't play the new game till I upgrade". It is another to tell a consumer "Yeah - that thing you spent a ton of money on, we are going to break it and make unusable"

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well again - this is the problem with updating the base game instead of releasing a sequel

It's one thing to be "Shit - I can't play the new game till I upgrade". It is another to tell a consumer "Yeah - that thing you spent a ton of money on, we are going to break it and make unusable"

I've not played any other MMOs (and despite Bungie claiming it isn't, really sort of kind of is) so i don't know if that's normal? Like WoW never had a sequel did it? It's just expansion after expansion. Is the base game next to useless now like Destiny, or is this a problem unique to Destiny and Bungies business model?

It's not unique because it is a common problem when dealing with software "modularity."

If you do not incorporate enough QA / QC, you never discover how the tens of thousands of lines of codes you wrote for your patch or added content will affect the millions of lines of code you wrote for the baseline software.  This is the risk you run whether it be DLC for games or "added features" for iTunes.

You can't catch every single bug, nor do you have the time to do it anyway but MMO's are particularly vulnerable thanks to player bases that constantly demand new content and artificially accelerate the time table in which game content should be released.

Destiny even moreso since Bungie has a knack for not even bothering to playtest game mechanics for balance before releasing content into the wild.

Banner started today, ive already gotten a bond for my warloxk that I needed, a 335 cloak for my hunter (which I infused into my 334 banner cloak) and a couple of scout rifles, one of which had some decent perks, the other at least had explosive rounds.  Ive played a few games, crucible doesnt seem to be too broken....well, no more than its always been JT.  You know how it is with weapons n shit, there is always a flavor of the month...first it was ARs, then thorn, then pulse rifles, now auto rifles are usable again.  Theres always going to be lag when the connection is peeer to peer and not dedicated, and it seems there are plenty of people playing it...all those guys on my list that were playing the new division dlc that dropped today immediately quit playing when I told them IB is up.  

The way I see it, if you are a shit player, you are going to do as shit in pvp, unless you are host and even then that sometimes doesnt matter.

I did watch a warlock tank a tripmine grenade, which was disconcerting.