DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

I chest farmed the first weekend it was out. With the double/triple dipping i probably opened 40 chests and got 3 keys. I got 3 more for competing the story mode on each character then 1 more from a random encounter with wolves while doing a bounty. Haven't had a single key from the little chests in the prison yet though. Haven't even seen someone get a key from those chests to be fair.

My good run of engrams from Xur continues. I picked up the Hunter helm and Titan chest i needed then rolled the dice on the gauntlets instead of buying the new Warlock ones right away. Out of 5 engrams i ended up getting the new Warlock and Titan gauntlets and the Hunter's Don't Touch Me gloves which i needed. A pretty good result, i'm 6 out of 10 for engrams from Xur in the past 2 weeks.

Against my better judgment and despite what i said last week i entered the level 35 prison again. I was stuck in that god forsaken hell hole for 3 freaking hours! Rounds 1-5 were easier than last week. The Vex level was probably the worst for buffs but the objective was easy so it evened out. But Skolas, god damn Skolas, just would not go down! We got him to a sliver of health 4 times before getting overwhelmed or not reaching the mines in all the chaos. He was so much easier with solar burn and a Gjallarhorn barrage. We tried the 4th Horseman strategy but he'd teleport all over the place and it was hard to get damage on him. So we settled for the sniper rifles. A Patient and Time and 2 LDRs, all ascended, to constantly stagger him. 2 Titans popping alternating bubbles to keep the Weapons of Light going and the shanks blinded and a Hunter to sneak off and stop the mine if it started the other side of the map. After about 2 hours it finally all came together and took about 40 seconds to kill him. I got 3 strange coins and some synths out of the chest along with the guaranteed Etheric light and cores. I actually spent more Etheric light leveling shit up to be able to kill him than I've got so far this week. No Exotic bounty drop and no burn damage primary drop, just the satisfaction of seeing that son of a bitch disintegrate into a million pieces!

Tried to play some ToO last night and couldn't get shit going.  It was me and a buddy and one random.  He joins in and says after a match or two he'll need to go back to the Reef to get a new card.  Then he says "Man, I better not get a loss, I'll be pissed." So off to a great start.  And of course we get matched up with a team where all three players have the emblem you get for going 9-0.  But this random guy sucks anyway.  He finished with a terrible k/d.  We got dominated obviously but still.  Dude rage quits. 

We get another guy.  This guy is pretty cool.  But my buddy is being dumb.  He's 32 for one thing because the only exotic he had leveled up was Sunbreakers, so him getting the armor core last week didn't let him get to 33 until he leveled up a helmet or chest piece which he hadn't done, so it's hard enough for him anyway  and he keeps wanting to use Suros which sucks.  Finally he relents and uses a shard to level up his Vex.  But he's still playing dumb.  We have me break away from the group a little bit to flank but I'm still fairly close.  I go down and they are in a firefight right down the corridor.  I call to be revived because I know one of them is about to drop and they don't break away.  The random dies and my buddy keeps standing there trying to take on the whole team when I'm within sight and all he had to do was run away and revive me and we could have regrouped.  Just constant stuff like that.  He ends up rage quitting when we ultimately lose a close match. 

So now it's me and the random dude who's laid back and chill.  We get another random and he's got a good attitude also and we end up having a lot of fun but we keep getting matched up with these superteams full of guys with full ToO armor and undefeated emblems.  I end the night with zero wins.  Fuck. 

I have one more 34 PoE to do tonight which I'll use the etheric light to put my Hunter to level 34 or I'll use it on the Fatebringer.  I did finally turn in ascendant and radiant shards and energies to the speaker for motes of light which gave me just shy of 400 motes.  Wish I'd have done it last week when Xur had helmet engrams.  Would have been really nice to get the Celestial Nighthawk and the Ram.  But I'm dumb.  I did buy three engrams from Xur though and got two great drops.  I got the Manicles with a better stat roll so I didn't have to spend coins on them and I got the Titan gauntlets.  AC/0 something.  Both look pretty cool.  The other was Don't Touch Me gauntlets which I already had but they did have a better stat roll. 

Mis and slimy dragged me through the 32 PoE so I got my armor core. It is funny and how flipping to 33 dramatically changes the way you feel.

Again - I realized that my biggest disadvantage at the moment is not having the raid weapons. Since the only primary I have that does any element damage is Aethon's and that is still only 300 damage. Thankfully the side arm is pretty much my favorite weapon in the game now not named Icebreaker.

Of course - the game boned us on more than one occassion defusing the bombs on Wave 4. I thought Mis was going to chuck his entire unit out the window.

Xur gave me a better version of Ruin Wings this morning so that takes the sting out the Rangers loss... somewhat.

I find Xur and he has a helmet I need but for 13 Strange Coins -- I only have 1 Strange Coin. I try to do Weekly Heroic Strike at lvl30 and I'm at lvl28 and I die every five seconds.

I then try to do "Destroy Crota's Soul" in Chamber of Night for The Dark Below expansion and I keep dying. Fuck this game, fuck Bungie and I hope they get sued for this shit. At this point, they should be shitting out free weapons and armor for everyone. Want a Bad Juju with maxed out stats at the get-go? There ya go.

Of course - the game boned us on more than one occassion defusing the bombs on Wave 4. I thought Mis was going to chuck his entire unit out the window.

The arc wave is horrible. We take out the wizard and boomer that come out near the center right away, once the 2nd wave starts. Helps big time.

I got most of my keys chest farming. Have yet to get a key from POE. None of my friends have either. Kinda frustrating.

The arc wave is horrible. We take out the wizard and boomer that come out near the center right away, once the 2nd wave starts. Helps big time.

I got most of my keys chest farming. Have yet to get a key from POE. None of my friends have either. Kinda frustrating.

I don't have a key to give because that would require me actually playing this POS game. :(

Sounds like you need to make some friends who are competent Destiny players. Competent friends make everything better.

Speaking of, I cleared the Nightfall last night with mine. Only took two tries, surprisingly. Obviously hoping for some etheric light, but none of us got it. I got an exotic Titan chest piece that's no good for me unless I ever get around to leveling up my alt mule.

I got paired with some competent Destiny players for once on the Weekly strike. That new strike is insanely fun when you're not just trying to avoid clear screening your team.

Also, it seems this strike more than anyone would work better with everyone on chat. (I hate no one ever hops on strike team chat in general matchmaking). Because, you almost need to task one person with clearing off the waves of enemies while the other two double team Tanik.

Sounds like you need to make some friends who are competent Destiny players. Competent friends make everything better.

Either that, or calm down. 

Speaking of, I cleared the Nightfall last night with mine. Only took two tries, surprisingly. Obviously hoping for some etheric light, but none of us got it. I got an exotic Titan chest piece that's no good for me unless I ever get around to leveling up my alt mule.

I think Sepiks is a good Nightfall, especially if you have a Blackhammer. Just go up the stairs to the left and take cover, while making sure to occasionally watch out for shanks that come upstairs.

There's also a spot to in the back of the map that makes it almost impossible for the Walker to get you. And the fallen don't bother you in that spot either. Icebreaker or Blackhammer are perfect for that part as well. 

I have Icebreaker, so, yeah, if I get decent support from my teammates, I can clear it, no sweat.

On Sepiks I usually take the balcony position you're talking about and simply ask my buds to guard the stairwell from shanks and clear any dregs that start tossing grenades up there. However, one of my guys can be a little overeager. When we wiped, it was because he ran out into the middle right when the dropship was bringing in a new wave and died. This led to my other guy getting overwhelmed, and the next thing you know I'm getting blasted on all sides by Sepiks, shanks, and grenades.

Goodnight, sweetheart.

Next time around, we basically threatened to never play with him again if he didn't keep his ass at home.

• Like 1

Knocked out the last two 34 prisons with no issues tonight, so much easier when you've got a Titan. The Gjallarhorn assault even worked with my under levelled Hunter.

That's gotta be my main issue with the HoW, even if it's so much better overall than TDB. The bosses with actual mechanics to take them down make them a little too hard when it's just so much easier to Ghorn everything.

The Vault is still my favourite part of this game. Even with everyone being 4 levels above the enemies it still requires a team and coordination to do. Come the next expansion Skolas is going to be another hard mode Crota and become a joke once it's a level playing field.

They need to go back to the Vault style of raid where it's the game it's self that's the challenge. And not Crota HM and PoE 35 where it's only difficult because everything's a level or 2 above you.

Edit:

And checkpoints, fuck you Bungie for not including checkpoints! I get why they haven't, i don't agree with it. I wouldn't mind if a level 35 Prison took 3 hours to beat if i could do rounds 1-5 in an hour or so then come back to Skolas the next day. I don't want to be tied to playing the game for hours at a time because if i quit out i get nothing.

• Like 1

Mis and slimy dragged me through the 32 PoE so I got my armor core. It is funny and how flipping to 33 dramatically changes the way you feel.

Again - I realized that my biggest disadvantage at the moment is not having the raid weapons. Since the only primary I have that does any element damage is Aethon's and that is still only 300 damage. Thankfully the side arm is pretty much my favorite weapon in the game now not named Icebreaker.

Xur gave me a better version of Ruin Wings this morning so that takes the sting out the Rangers loss... somewhat.

Now that you are 33, you should go back and run VoG on normal and hard to get weapons.  VoC, Fatebringer, and the Vex are still some of if not the best guns in the game and especially now that you can level them up to 365.  The Crota guns aren't as good.  I rock the Fang of Ir Yut arc scout rifle a fair amount because of the range.  But that will probably go away once I use an etheric on the Fatebringer.  Word of Crota sucks as a standalone handcannon but as a void primary it's better than Atheon's Epilogue.  Black Hammer is the only other gun in Crota to get excited about but it is really really good. 

I wouldn't shy away from the Crota raid guns since they are a lot easier to get than the Vault equivalent. Fang of Ir Yut is probably my most used raid gun. I am a scout rifle guy, its a great gun and the Arc makes it relevant for Hive, Fallen and Nightfalls/Prisons with the burn on. Definitely can see why more people prefer Fatebringer over it, its a better gun, but i prefer scouts to hand cannons. Swordbreaker gets a lot of use too, Its perfect for Praetorians in the Vault. Word isn't the best hand cannon out there but it was the best primary with void on it. I tried for that gun for such a long time to do the Thorn bounty, but by the time i got it i'd already done it with Atheon's Epilogue.

Black Hammer and Hunger of Crota are both good substitutes for Ice Breaker and Gjallahorn if you haven't been blessed with those. They are still relevant even if you have since you can only equip one Exotic. You cant go wrong with a Black Hammer/Gjallarhorn or Ice Breaker/Hunger combination.

The high end Vault guns are easily some of the best in the game, but at the mid level i'd say the Crota guns win.

Add that as another issue with HoW. The drop rate for a primary burn weapon from Skolas is ridiculous. Out of the 10 or so people i play with no ones got one yet. and out of all the 34s and 35s we've done only 2 guys have had an exotic bounty drop. The other problem is that they don't have a set burn for the guns. VoG and CE guns all compliment each other quite well. A guaranteed void scout (to go along with Visions and Fang) from Skolas would maybe get me to play it more. But as it is you need a small miracle to kill Skolas, another to get a weapon to drop, another for it to be the one you're after and another for it to have the burn you want. At least with VoG and CE you knew what was in there and put the effort in to actually getting them.

The high end Vault guns are easily some of the best in the game, but at the mid level i'd say the Crota guns win

This seems pretty accurate.  Although I'd probably rather have Found Verdict than Swordbreaker and while Praedyth's Revenge isn't as much of an everyday powerhouse as Black Hammer, it is a beast in crucible.  With that large magazine and nonexistent recoil, you can use it like a primary weapon if you want.  The order of legendary guns that I will use etheric light on to max are VoC(already done), Fatebringer, Black Hammer, Corrective Measure, Praedyth's Revenge, Fang of Ir Yut, Found Verdict.  I don't think I can look beyond that for quite a while. 

I've only just started using Found Verdict. For a while Swordbreaker was the only shotgun i ever really used, just for its void burn on the Praetorians shields. Since the PoE hit though i bring all 3 of my heavy hitter shotguns since they all have different burn: Swordbreaker for void, Found Verdict for arc and Fellwinter's Lie for solar.

As for what i'll upgrade, I've already done the Fang. Did it last night for a few extra points of damage on Skolas after the sniper ran out of ammo. As for whats next (in no particular order): Visions, Fatebringer, Word, Swordbreaker, Fellwinter's Lie, Found Verdict. Basically my go to guns for Nightfall/PoE burns. I don't use a whole lot of sniper rifles. I ascended Ice Breaker already. I did Patience and Time last night for Skolas so i really need a solid void rifle and Praedyth's Revenge will probably be it. Same for rocket launchers. I ascended the Gjallarhorn and i'll probably do the same with the Hunger eventually. I've not really looked at the other legendary launchers i have. I got a decent Dreamwaker from a PoE chest with 3 rockets in a magazine and tracking but i don't know if the actual gun is any good.

Basically my goal is to have 3 decent primaries with the different burns, 3 shotguns, 3 snipers and 3 rockets. That way it doesn't matter which exotic i'm using, I've got a solid legendary in each of the other slots to fall back on.

Along with all of that i want to ascend my raid gear too. I'm going to need a lot of Etheric light....

• Like 1

Dude, we had all three points capped twice and the game shit all over us.  I had to double up on blood pressure meds after that.  Now, two hours later, we run through the entire thing in like 40 minutes (granted there were two 34's and a 33 instead of 34, 33, 32), and that was us fucking around and me taking smoke breaks and shit. My fully upgraded Dragon's Breath was doing insane amounts of damage to that fucker Urrox, somewhere north of 15k with the solar burning him after the fact.  Hell my Icebreaker was doing better than 10k per headshot.

ToO can eat a bag of dicks, Crucible is still a mixed bag.  I got one hit melee'd while blade dancing a warlock (hit him twice, the lag was real). Suros still kinda works, I'm shit with Hand Cannons in PvP though.  I quit using Lord High Fixxer after I got the VoC, and Thorn sucked balls back then. 

I find Xur and he has a helmet I need but for 13 Strange Coins -- I only have 1 Strange Coin. I try to do Weekly Heroic Strike at lvl30 and I'm at lvl28 and I die every five seconds.

I then try to do "Destroy Crota's Soul" in Chamber of Night for The Dark Below expansion and I keep dying. Fuck this game, fuck Bungie and I hope they get sued for this shit. At this point, they should be shitting out free weapons and armor for everyone. Want a Bad Juju with maxed out stats at the get-go? There ya go.

Have you tried "not sucking" at the game?  Sorry, I had to. 

*****edit*****

I was reading over my poor attempt at a joke and thought it came off a bit more backhanded than I intended, apologies Poe!

I played a lot of Call of Duty online, Im a natural ball buster.  It was meant in good fun and not to diminish your skill as a player.

I feel your pain, I really do.  I quit playing this shit game for six months and buried it every time I came back to the thread.  I know the hate someone can feel towards it. It really doesn't matter in terms of skill to play it.  It's a matter of luck and repetition.  Luck to get decent drops, and just continually playing the shit out of it to farm the stuff you want.

Seriously though, run the Vanguard ROC strike playlist, you'll rack up Vanguard and get shit tons of engram drops.  Slimy got a gjallarhorn running that shit.  When you get your vanguard marks up, buy the newest armors to put you up around 30-32 area.  Then you shouldn't have much of a problem.  The damage reduction is ridiculous when you are fighting enemies that are higher level than you are, if you get at least one level under/same level, you at least have a fighting chance.

That, and have a good fireteam to pull your ass outta the fire when you go all Leroy Jenkins on a boss.

IB-

With Iron Banner coming up on Tuesday, and my playtime limited...I may have to formulate a plan to get the most Etheric Light possible to upgrade my stuff. Ive neglected my Titan for far too long.  I've a couple Queen's Bounties to finish on my Warlock, and I'm hoping to take a crack at the 34 PoE tonight after work, so yeah...time's limited on my side.

I've only just started using Found Verdict. For a while Swordbreaker was the only shotgun i ever really used, just for its void burn on the Praetorians shields. Since the PoE hit though i bring all 3 of my heavy hitter shotguns since they all have different burn: Swordbreaker for void, Found Verdict for arc and Fellwinter's Lie for solar.

Found Verdict is a fucking beast in Crucible, and it was my go to last time I played IB...Definitely on my to do list once I get my Etheric Light situation in order.  I've also got a Secret Handshake in solar that is tits, I've been running it in ToO with good results, even though I wish I had ammo for it a lot of the time...

Basically my goal is to have 3 decent primaries with the different burns, 3 shotguns, 3 snipers and 3 rockets. That way it doesn't matter which exotic i'm using, I've got a solid legendary in each of the other slots to fall back on.

Along with all of that i want to ascend my raid gear too. I'm going to need a lot of Etheric light....

Good plan.

I got a Word of Crota last week...I was wanting an Oversoul Edict, and watched it drop for everyone except me.  I think I've already told the story of Saggine Bo's shit internet connection fucking me out of it twice in a row.

Edited by misanthrope304

I ran sword on Crota last night for the first time....had him within a sliver of death...so low on health you couldn't tell why he was still standing and not a pile of ash.  Then DPS stopped and he swatted me like a fly.

It's really fun on Crota when you're in position to give him a good sword beat down and say "fire" for rocket dps, and you get there as 1 gjallarhorn hits him in the chest.  Crota looks down "What was that tickle I felt?  Ooh there's someone to smash"  then deathscreen, oversoul, wipe...for two hours....said no one, ever.

I finally paired with a good group of guys via Reddit and attempted VoG on Normal for the first time. Wow, that is quite the experience. I think it too us about 3 hours to run through it, but I rolled Icebreaker after Atheon was taken down. I'm not a great Sniper player, but I can definitely learn it for Destiny. I guess I will attempt CE next weekend.

I'm happy to say I finally was able to give it a run.

• Like 2

I finally paired with a good group of guys via Reddit and attempted VoG on Normal for the first time Wow, that is quite the experience. I think it too us about 3 hours to run through it, but I rolled Icebreaker after Atheon was taken down. I'm not a great Sniper player, but I can definitely learn it for Destiny. I guess I will attempt CE next weekend.

I'm happy to say I finally was able to give it a run.

Crota's End is a lot easier than VOG. Should be no problem and will take you much less than 3 hours. An hour and a half at the most. And if you get the Blackhammer out of it, you're golden.

Congrats on the Icebreaker. Definitely one of the best guns in the game.

Have you guys been getting treasure key drops frequently? I've been stuck at 1

I double dipped on a chest last night on the moon and now i have two keys.  I am on the folk's crappy wi-fi tonight so online gaming will be somewhat challenging. 

I will be back at my crib on Tuesday night for Reset Day but will head back to Virginia on Wednesday morning.  Not sure if I am going to be up for gaming since I will get home after a 2 hour drive only to turn around and head back at 4AM the next morning.

I sure will be glad when I either hit the lottery or get a job closer to Fort Meade.

This will be my first non-custody weekend at the new crib.  If I get any gaming in, it will be a miracle.

Yeah Icebreaker is a game changer. Makes Noghtfalls so much easier. If you don't want to risk engaging you can just sit back and snipe without any fear of running out of ammo.

And unless they've patched it you can use it to feed ammo to other special weapons. Just equip Icebreaker, let it fill up, change weapons and the ammo will be in the newly equipped special.

• Like 1