DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

I couldn't stay connected for more than 15 minutes at a time last night, but was on 90 minutes or so this morning without an issue.  So hopefully they fixed whatever was wrong yesterday.

Completed the Sword of Crota this morning and got up to around 7000xp on the get 9000xp without dying bounty, so next time I'm on I'm going to be walking on fucking eggshells so I don't screw myself out of this one yet again.

The connection issues went away for me around 9pm. Before that it was basically unplayable.

Craig, the nightfall strategy I posted a few posts back is the way to go. Just don't jump down into the arena. Stay up top and take out the minotaurs with snipers and rockets. Once they're gone the nexus will spawn. Once that happens a single minotaur will spawn up where you're at every minute or so, so just have one guy stand guard and let the team know when he's there and then kill him together. Then snipe and rocket the nexus in between killing the single minotaur.

It helps if one person saves all heavy ammo for the spawning minotaur. One rocket just about does it and the other two can shoot him with primary ammo.

If you see me on and I'm not in a full fireteam, I don't mind running it again.

Boy - I just did the Devil Walker with 2 randos and it took less than 10 minutes.

I've never done it that efficiently

Of course it helps that everyone knows how to fight a walker now

I am getting really tired of doing public events and not getting ascendant material

Did the walker with both my characters and got zippy (okay - my alt got a strange coin but I really don't need those right now)

Rippa, the daily heroic story on lvl 28 gives 2 ascendent materials.  Also the raid gives a bunch of ascendent materials.  If you haven't done it yet, once you get to that point you should do it every week.  Also if you have the marks, you can just buy some armor from the vanguard vendor for purposes of breaking it down. 

I got fairly lucky yesterday in RNG.  I got a legendary scout rifle (Crypt Dweller) from a drop- Not sure that I really like the perks on it and the fact that the impact is not as high as the A.19F that I have.  But I'm going to give it a better audition later.  I also got a legendary helmet from a rare helmet engram at the cryptard- Shards! Then for leveling up the cryptard I got a legendary chest engram in the postmaster package which was a chest piece- More shards!

So with the extra shards I was able to level up my helmet and chest piece to almost maxed out.  So with that loadout, which is my preferred loadout since the chest piece gives me an extra grenade and my armor is more discipline oriented, I'm at the high end of level 28.  Just a few more shards to max out my helmet and chest piece and I won't have to switch loadouts just to get back to level 29 to do the harder stuff. 

Side rant- I don't like how there's such a limited way to cap out at level 30.  The only way to do it is to get every piece of the raid armor or every piece except the helmet if you have an exotic helmet and don't do the raid on hard mode.  It sucks because I don't like the stats of the fucking raid armor.  I just have the boots but the boots are all strength and for my Titan, I don't give a shit about strength.  I'm trying to make a loadout that has the most discipline that I can so that I can chuck grenades non stop.  But I'm going to end up not being able to use that chest piece and having to equip my exotic helmet just to get level 30 once I get the raid chest piece and gauntlets.  There should have been more options for armor at light level 30 so that you could tailor your character to how you want to play the game. 

I am getting really tired of doing public events and not getting ascendant material

Did the walker with both my characters and got zippy (okay - my alt got a strange coin but I really don't need those right now)

We need to start pounding out the Daily missions to get the guaranteed Ascendant materials.  We get one guaranteed item at Level 24 difficulty and two at Level 28 difficulty.

Spent most of the day with my girlfriend at court yesterday.  Turned in some overdue Vanguard bounties with my Warlock and he got the EWB for the Exotic Shotgun. 

The strikes without dying will be easy and  I just need to make a few Glimmer runs so that I can be close to the cap when it is time to buy all of those Special Ammo Synthesis items.  The Crucible part of the bounty will test my patience since I haven't used a Warlock in PvP.

The Destiny database is all wonky.  My medals are accurate as of my last 18-6 Headshot Fest in Clash, but my Crucible carnage report queue is missing my last three matches from Tuesday night.

We beat the raid yesterday after it kept bugging out like crazy. Bungie really needs to fix that shit. Anyway, it was really cool and it was fun because it required great teamwork and communication.

As for the Nightfall, the Minotaur up top starts spawning right away and the adds down below are usually out of sight. I'll tell my buddies your strategy though, and we'll test that today.

• Like 1

Yeah the only downside is the start of that final stage where some of the minotaurs are out of sight.  It takes a little while to pick them off so that the nexus spawns. 

Congrats on the raid! I'm looking forward to the random Atheon teleports.  I think I'm going to suggest to my group a lot of practice relic holding at the Templar stage.  Seems like a good opportunity for everyone to try their hand and get some practice in.  We can just let each person get a few minutes in with the relic and then switch off or wipe and restart.  Shouldn't take too long. 

Craig, the nightfall strategy I posted a few posts back is the way to go. Just don't jump down into the arena. Stay up top and take out the minotaurs with snipers and rockets. Once they're gone the nexus will spawn. Once that happens a single minotaur will spawn up where you're at every minute or so, so just have one guy stand guard and let the team know when he's there and then kill him together. Then snipe and rocket the nexus in between killing the single minotaur.

This is the strategy that Rippa and I use that Psycho Josh hipped us to.  Nexus is pretty much cake to us now.

You can use the same principle for killing Phoggoth in the Summoning Pits (ie. no one goes further than the doorway into Phoggoth's chamber and everyone takes turns shooting him from the doorway..  keep and eye for the Shrieker and retreat further back into the cave until it despawns.) UNLESS one of the Mission Flags is Angry.

If that happens, then there are too many adds for you to stay in one place more than a few moments and the best strategy is to just keep moving.

I know how to get the ascendant materials - it just actually doing it.

I am not doing the weekly without help since I suck - and for right now JT is the only person on the 360 when I am on

I ended up spending a lot of time upgrading my alt the last 12 hours. At least I can finally move a lot of these weapons out of storage.

I know how to get the ascendant materials - it just actually doing it.

I am not doing the weekly without help since I suck - and for right now JT is the only person on the 360 when I am on

My friend Brandon (Val Strahda) is usually on when we are and pretty much only does Vanguard or Daily Weekly stuff.  We will nab him if he is online.

He is not fond of the Crucible, but he is chomping at the bit to raid the Vault of Glass.

Yeah - I am terrified to do VoG with randos because since I have never done it - I have no clue what I am doing.

So I am falling back on my "rather not be screamed at by 13 year olds" motto

Yeah - I am terrified to do VoG with randos because since I have never done it - I have no clue what I am doing.

You won't do more poorly than anyone else does on their first time.  You have Legendary / Exotic gear so you at least have the survivability box checked.

After an eon of being offline on my Friend's List, Jacey North is back on XBox 360 and is playing Destiny. 

YES~!  Hopefully he is in for the long haul.  I will PM him about joining the DVDVR 360 Clan.

Ok, my buddies and I are confused. We thought you can't farm VoG, but on the Giant Bombcast, Brad said you can. He said the chests will be empty, but the bosses will still drop loot, including raid gear. Is that right?

Better to be yelled at by friends. :)

I have a five Vanguard bounties sitting on my Level 15 Titan alt.  If no one is online this afternoon when I am on 360 (I should be home around 4PM EST), I am going to try to knock out the remaining Moon story missions with my Titan and complete a few bounties in the process.

I will be ready for Crucible antics with my Hunter main by the time Rippa gets on. Looks like another night of Control hopefully with fewer crappy teammates.

I am not too thrilled with Super Good Advice.  I think that I am going to focus on getting a serviceable Fusion Rifle and knocking out the rest of the Pocket Infinity EB, pass that weapon on to my Warlock alt, and then get cracking on the Exotic Shotgun EWB so I can pass Invective on to my Titan.

Better to be yelled at by friends. :)

You would be yelled at less if you would stop tweeting during PvP. :P

• Like 1

Ok, my buddies and I are confused. We thought you can't farm VoG, but on the Giant Bombcast, Brad said you can. He said the chests will be empty, but the bosses will still drop loot, including raid gear. Is that right?

No, not right.  Once you do it for the week, every other time you do it you will get nothing.  Real life example: I did the entire raid up to Atheon.  We couldn't beat Atheon.  So I searched for some guys who were looking for someone and starting at Atheon and didn't have any luck.  So I got with a group doing a fresh raid from the beginning and did the whole thing over.  All chests were empty and I didn't get any loot from the Templar phases or the gatekeeper phase.  When we beat Atheon I got loot for beating Atheon. 

It's not that way at all.  When I was out of town on night shift I took to reddit r/fireteams to find people to play with for the nightfall and weekly strikes and the raid.  All of my experiences were awesome.  Generally you will get either everyone inexperienced or you will get someone who likes to "sherpa" noobs through the raid and teaches everyone what to do.  There are definitely people who enjoy taking random noobs through the vault even when they've already completed it for the week. 

You won't do more poorly than anyone else does on their first time.  You have Legendary / Exotic gear so you at least have the survivability box checked.

The gear you have doesn't have as much to do with survivability as your level does.  If you're level 26, no matter what guns you have and whether they're maxed out, it's going to take longer to kill the enemies than if you were level 27 or 28.  That percentage increase of damage from each level you are above your enemies is a huge deal and makes much more of a difference than the level of your weapons.  Not saying a person shouldn't do the raid at level 26 but you're going to have an easier time with the enemies if you're leveled above them. 

Man, if that is the case, that may be the dumbest thing about this game. So basically, you get one shot at raid gear once a week and you need the raid gear to hit 30. Wow. Not one of us yesterday got one piece of raid gear. Fucking dumb.

I will be ready for Crucible antics with my Hunter main by the time Rippa gets on. Looks like another night of Control hopefully with fewer crappy teammates.

I have two Cosmodrome bounties to do and I need to do at least one strike today so if we want to do the Weekly first before hitting the Crucible - fine by me.

I might role with my alt in the Crucible - since I have a TON of Crucible bounties to finish with her

I have two Cosmodrome bounties to do and I need to do at least one strike today so if we want to do the Weekly first before hitting the Crucible - fine by me.

I might role with my alt in the Crucible - since I have a TON of Crucible bounties to finish with her

Sounds good.  I need to top out on whatever kind of Marks it will cost me to invest in a Legendary Fusion Rifle for my Hunter main so that I can FINALLY finish the Pocket Infinity EWB,

I need to Glimmer Hunt with my Warlock alt so that I can get enough Hadronic Essences from disassembled Warlock armor to upgrade my armor up to the Special Materials / Ascendant Shard level of upgrades.  It wouldn't hurt If I could get him a Legendary Secondeary Weapon either, since he will eventually have to brave the Crucible in order to get progress on the Invection EWB.