DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

I didn't even attempt the vault of glass on my two days off.  I've been trying to do vanguard missions/crucible to get my respective ranks up.

(you can get 100 vanguard marks, and 100 crucible marks* a week {*for your respective faction, I went with dead orbit, their armor seemed to have abilities more suited to what I'll run},  Fucked up thing is I was wearing the Dead Orbit cloak on my hunter when I ran about 3-4 strikes from the vanguard playlist.  (I'd have been high enough rank to get the armor I needed to get to 26, had I not been playing with my head in my ass) 

I've been stuck at level 25 for two days without budging, gotten so many green and blue engrams I can't even count.  I have a pair of Legendary boots that I need 14 more ascendant shards to upgrade (I've been at 4 of 6 for the first upgrade for a day now).  

I picked up a new rare ship when running through the devils lair strike without dying ;-)  I think it was a random drop, not for completing the strike without dying, although I could be wrong.

So if, you know, you guys want to send me a freaking invite, I probably wouldn't turn it down, unless I was up to my nuts in Pfogoth's (I think that's the big bastards name) ass doing the weekly heroic.  Unless you've completely forgotten about me, then by all means.

Shit resets Tuesday, so you can get your 100 vanguard and 100 crucible marks (post lvl 20).

Crucible still has level advantages disabled, just ability (blade dancer, nova bomb), and armor abilities are active, not total offense/defense

Since House of Wolves and The Dark Below are Playstation timed exclusives, I will probably be telling this game to go fuck itself for a while once I level up all three clasess to 20 and finish the storyline with my Hunter, The Ghostface Killer.

The expansions are being released simultaneously on all systems. They will have Playstation exclusive content, but it'll probably be as slight as the exclusive content on the main game.

Story stuff is very short, but I'm not really bothered by it since what I like for the game resides elsewhere.  I mean, what story there is is infinitely lame.  I really wish they put more thought into writing this scenario, but oh well.

I'm not a big MMO guy, but do many MMOs have really deep thought out stories and characters that are much better than this?  

Bungie Bounty

Sep 18 2014

Created by DeeJ

Destiny has been out for more than a week now. Having fun?

During this first phase of our shared adventure, we’ve been thrilled to let you lead the way. On the monitors mounted to our studio walls, our development team has observed your Fireteam. We’ve spectated your missions, your battles, and your Raids. You’ve honored us (and yourselves) with your bravery and gunfire.

Feeling strong yet? To give you a head start, our fiercest killers have been grounded. Their most powerful builds have been kept under tight wraps so that you could discover for yourselves how a legendary Guardian looks and fights.

Now, it’s time for us to join our own party.

Bungie has always enjoyed sharing games with our community. Destiny will be no different. Instead of targeting specific community leaders or luminaries to step up and try to cave in our helmets, we’re randomizing the event. To put it a different way, we’re putting a bounty on our own heads.

Each week, a Bungie team will enter the Crucible.

Each week, you’ll be invited to hunt them.

Each week, those of you who defeat them will win this player emblem.

When fellow Guardians see The Sign of Opposing Will on your nameplate they’ll ask, “Where did you get that?”

You’ll be able to tell them, “I beat Bungie at their own game!”

Your mission (if you choose to accept it) is:

Clash

Thursday, September 18th

7:00 PM – 8:00 PM Pacific

PlayStation 4

Encountering us will not be enough to earn your reward. You’ll need to achieve victory against our designated team. Here are some of your marks:

imtylerdurden Josh Hamrick, Senior Designer

CE_Wizard Jon Weisnewski, Designer

Thug Larz Lars Bakken, Design Lead

DeeJ BNG Yours Truly, Community Manager

…and alternates to be named at gametime.

To claim your prize, win. Then, post a link to your victory in the comments below this article before High Noon (Pacific) the following day (Friday). Look for the Permalink in the upper right corner of every match view. Your link should lead us to something like this. No proof, no reward!

• Like 1

Story stuff is very short, but I'm not really bothered by it since what I like for the game resides elsewhere.  I mean, what story there is is infinitely lame.  I really wish they put more thought into writing this scenario, but oh well.

I'm not a big MMO guy, but do many MMOs have really deep thought out stories and characters that are much better than this?  

In my experience, most MMOs don't really try that hard to have a single, overarching story. Instead they tell a shorter story designed to last you a few levels of progression, then give you a reason to move on to the next zone. There are a couple of good reasons for that, not least of which being that if you want to sell an expansion pack with a new 10-level progression every year, it's easier to do discrete stories for each tier than to have the big story end at lv50 only to then try to tie the new threat naturally into the old one when 50-60 launch. (SWTOR was a big exception, but then that was really "Let's make a bunch of KOTOR storylines and put them in an MMO instead", and DCUO was trying more to ape Infamous.) I'm not far enough into Destiny to really judge it fairly, but City of Heroes and Secret World both did pretty good jobs of making the characters fairly memorable and fun (if not particularly deep) and keeping the plot moving. So far the only NPCs I'd really consider 'characters' in even the loosest sense are the Speaker and the Ghost. I understand why full-bore freeroaming open worlds don't work in MMO shooters (lord knows I played enough Planetside in its early days) but I wish there were a little more exploring to do. Lore collectibles to find, places to see that you would never go on a story quest, etc. Still, I'm having a lot of fun with PVE story stuff but I'm not sure how helpful I'm gonna be to the clan when the time comes for me to move into Strikes and Crucible games.

• Like 1

Did a Clash last night for the first time and that was really fun. I think I might like them more slightly more than Controls.

Rumbles fucking suck and eat a dick. Got my card for doing one and now I will never do one again unless the game forces me to

Did a Clash last night for the first time and that was really fun. I think I might like them more slightly more than Controls.

Rumbles fucking suck and eat a dick. Got my card for doing one and now I will never do one again unless the game forces me to

There's a bounty for doing 5 if you want some easy XP.

From doing some Multiplayer last night, I can safely say that either there are hackers all over this, or the gap between a level 20 and level 25 is greater than a level 10 to a level 20. I had to 20 melee kills bounty, so I was doing this Shotgun-Melee combo that was unstoppable by everyone, except these level 24 guys who took no damage from it.

Had a shaky night, even had to go so far as reset my router after getting hit with bee, lion, and then centerpiece (error codes with bounties servers). I almost had static ip's and port forwarding set up for my 360 and laptop until my laptop shit the bed with updates and I couldn't log back into my router.

Once I was able to log in though:

Finally made it through the weekly heroic strike (the summoning pits, and lemme tell y'all, it's a mother fucker on heroic) then farmed in old Russia to get my vanguard rank up to 2. I picked up the ghost angel legendary chest armor for my Hunter. I even went underground where the first boss stage (even though it's not really a boss, just captains and wizards) of the devil's lair strike happens and found fucking ton of level twenty enemies. I nearly had another vanguard bounty completed (majors or ultrasound) after I came out the other side and found even more of those fuckers.

Oh yeah, I maxed out the blade dancer subclass, started back to work on the gunslinger.

I just watched the video of them beating one of the bosses

Clearly I was not meant to do hard stuff

In defense of raids, it isn't like you have to log in ten consecutive hours.  The raid can be broken up into chunks but your progress is reset after a week if you don't complete the raid.

It's not like the old EverQuest dragon raiding days where I would literally burn off an entire Saturday online.  Those OCD days of sitting in front of a computer for hours surrounded by bags of beef jerkey, trail mix, maps scrawled on graph paper, and a small fridge stocked with Mountain Dew are long dead to me.

i am a grown dude that likes sunlight and going out to eat and society and hanging out in the city with my kid and my girlfriend.

I would not bet on me staying alive through an entire mission.

Don't jinx the strike, man.  Rippa and I almost beat the Devil Walker Tank without dying.  We know the terrain, so we are aware of the best vantage points to hit the tank without taking too much return fire and the initial crit ponts for the tank are the legs. 

Once the legs are scrapped, the core in the front of the tank should be exposed and that is another crit point.

We also know that if the tank stars targeting your position with a red laser sight, it is about to fire the main gun and you should get the fuck out of dodge immediately.  If we fight smart and stay at a good distance, we should come out smelling like roses... WITHOUT ANYONE GETTING KILLED~!

I am pretty confident we could beat that part of the strike without dying as long as we invest in some Gilmmer in ammo consumables.   Things don't get real dicey in that encounter until you start running out of bullets and stuff that goes boom or zap..

Just keep an eye on your shields and retreat if they are taking a pounding and above all, embrace the stopping power of hard cover.

Honestly, I am more concerned about the encounter before the Walker fight where you are fighting waves of Fallen and Hive while your Ghost is trying to reactivate some doodad.  I have heard that there is a line of steel containers on a ledge where you should make your stand.   I am going to check out some YouTube vids to see what they are talking about.

I rolled up an Awoken Warlock alt to tinker with while you and Rippa get yourselves some levels and upgraded gear.   We will try our luck at the Devil's Lair sometime next week when our schedules mesh better.

Everytime James and I get on you are already in a party of like 3 or 4 already

We're almost hitting stride in Crucible matches but we're definitely not ready for prime time, Mis.  

Everytime we're on, you are usually rolling mob deep with Damian Death and guys that I assume are members of your CoD unit.

Rippa and I got our asses kicked during our first Clash match, but we fucking ruled in the second one.   I think I prefer Clash to Control since it is a straight-up fight.

When the teams are relatively similar in level and gear, we tend to do well so long as teammates don't do anything stupid.   Rippa and I rolled tandem as best we could and I picked off a lot of solo wanderers that other teammates had pinned down.

I am still really pensive about sniping since I am not familiar with the maps so for now, I will use on the old Halo run and gun skills and use combat buddy tactics..

Rumble matches can blow me.  Higher level players with better gear and map familiarity will smoke you dozens of times before you even see them.

I have joined the Bladedancer's union.  I have like four abilities right now.  I foresee lots of patrolling and class grinding on the Moon in my future.

• Like 1

I am glad that people here have not fallen into the online consensus of "this game's story is insanely short and wears thin once you beat the story." 

It keeps me interested in picking this thing up in the next week or so.

I am glad that people here have not fallen into the online consensus of "this game's story is insanely short and wears thin once you beat the story." 

I personally have come to that conclusion but for me, Destiny is all about the catharsis found in shooting things in the head while talking about pro wrestling and sports and movies and shit with my fellow DVDVR members.

If all I did was play the game, I'd get tired of it pretty quickly

I personally have come to that conclusion but for me, Destiny is all about the catharsis found in shooting things in the head while talking about pro wrestling and sports and movies and shit with my fellow DVDVR members.

If all I did was play the game, I'd get tired of it pretty quickly

That's the same reason I'm playing GTA at this point.  I barely touch it on my own.  I'll probably play some Destiny by myself, because I'm way behind others on getting my character started/leveled up.

I did finally manage to unwrap Destiny yesterday and then promptly fell asleep for two hours once the install started.

• Like 1