DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

Has anyone done The Summoning Pits yet? That's actually the one I tried last night where I kept getting killed. We finished Devil's Lair fairly easily although the tank was a little tough.

I've run through it once. I died a few times, but that's mostly because I have a tendency to pop blade dancer when I'm low on health instead of retreating.

I'm already level 20, haven't finished the story, or gotten to Mars, even. If you're on later, like, six hours from now when I'm off work, I'll run through it with you if you like.

Fusion Rifles were useless for me in Crucible, because I'd be dead before they fired. I think Shotguns are the ones to go for there. Fusion for Story mode, because they're best for taking out Shields.

I'm going with an Auto Rifle as my main gun, because they're the only things any use against the Thrall charge. Hand Cannons & Scout Rifles have to slow a fire rate and reload time. To begin with, Auto Rifles have too much recoil, but the higher level ones are fine.

To fight the Devil Walker Tank on that Earth Raid, get one person to the left (there's a building with a staircase you can retreat up), one person to the right (there's a tunnel with a corner you can hide around), and one doing crowd control in the middle. The two at the sides take it in turns to empty clips at the Walker and then retreat, so that he's constantly turning to face one while taking fire from the other. If one dies, the other has to camp for 30 seconds so they can respawn and get the spot back. Don't risk yourself trying to revive them.

There's a big Balloon/ Exercise ball thingy on the table behind the Engram guy's desk as well. We were trying to get it onto the roof and blow it around with the fan, but it was tricky. 

Got to 21 last night. Hadn't actually played since Sunday morning. Story mode in this game sure is short. The final battle, we dealt with the sub-bosses, we were gearing up to fight the final boss and then the story ended.

There's a big Balloon/ Exercise ball thingy on the table behind the Engram guy's desk as well. We were trying to get it onto the roof and blow it around with the fan, but it was tricky. 

Got to 21 last night. Hadn't actually played since Sunday morning. Story mode in this game sure is short. The final battle, we dealt with the sub-bosses, we were gearing up to fight the final boss and then the story ended.

Yeah I'm not too happy with that.  I haven't quite finished it yet but it's hard to believe something so hyped and gigantic as this game ended up with such a short story mode.  I guess you're just supposed to do strike missions from then on?

• Like 1

I haven't quite finished it yet but it's hard to believe something so hyped and gigantic as this game ended up with such a short story mode.  I guess you're just supposed to do strike missions from then on?

That's why they want you to pay $35 for the Expansion Pass.  Eventually the "price of freedom is eternal vigilance" game model of constantly doing strikes, raids. and patrols is gong to wear thin

Since House of Wolves and The Dark Below are Playstation timed exclusives, I will probably be telling this game to go fuck itself for a while once I level up all three clasess to 20 and finish the storyline with my Hunter, The Ghostface Killer.

Bungie had better do something really spectacular to keep XBox customers happy while we wait for DLC; otherwise I think a lot of us are going to eventually feel the tuck and tail like I am right now.  There had better be a lot of special events going down in the future to pique my interest.

I am now 2-3 in the Crucible.  One more win and I get to cash in this stupid bounty.  Since I am stubborn and dumb, I will probably pick up one or two more Crucible bounties and then torture myself with my relative inability to kill other players since their gear is nine times better than mine.

One of these days I am going to stop being facinated by new gear and focus on saving up for another jumpship.

Historically my main gaming entertainment has been FPS pvp games like CoD, Battlefield, etc.  And I haven't played through a campaign mode on any of those games since MW2 so in theory I shouldn't be bothered by it since I'm sure I'll get plenty of enjoyment out of playing Crucible for a long time but I was really hoping for this long epic story mode in this game and really looking forward to doing it with other people.  The style of play is awesome and I love how they did the fireteam stuff and the ability to join up with friends or randoms and have the environment and difficulty change with you, but the actual story kind of sucks.  And so does the short length and lameness of fucking Dinklage.  I shouldn't complain because the game is pretty awesome and I definitely have a lot of fun, I'm just worried that it will be short lived. 

Sounds like it's PS4 time JT

I am all about comradery over content. 

If the regular dudes I hang out with now (Robert, Mark, Rippa, Stout, Dan, Melraz and the rest of the gang) go XBone, then I probably will too...  We've got a good thing going.  No sense in breaking it up.

The end of the story line missions is just the beginning of the war.  Shit will pick up in medias res during raids and other events..

Hit 15 last night. Fucked around doing patrols on the moon when I should have done the strike mission. Finished things up in the Crucible. Fucking Crucible. My complaint remains the same: It's all shotguns and fusion rifles. I have great sniping skills and I'm an ace with the scout rifle, but that's largely irrelevant. I'm still doing well against dudes level 20 to 26, but I wish it were more Halo-like.

The one thing I have started to notice in Crucible - and maybe it is just my luck - is it is more all the high level guys have really high recharge rates on the super charge ability.

I was eating fireball after fireball (or whatever the fuck you want to call the Warlock ability) and there is no way for me to defend against that. At least not when I am just Level 10

The one thing I have started to notice in Crucible - and maybe it is just my luck - is it is more all the high level guys have really high recharge rates on the super charge ability.

I was eating fireball after fireball (or whatever the fuck you want to call the Warlock ability) and there is no way for me to defend against that. At least not when I am just Level 10

Yeah, I think those fuckers have armor pieces that can reduce the cooldown on their Void Bomb.  I think cooldown reduction is also a class feature for one of their specialty kits.  Not really sure since I haven't taken a hard look at the Warlock. I need to start one so that I can pick up the Grimoire cards.

I got Void Bombed like five times in a match early yesterday before we started playing GTA.

So far, I have had the most success in Crucible matches with an auto rifle.  If I am rolling with another player, I can usually finish off a player that we are both shooting at.  If you are not in a vehicle, it is all about strength in numbers, flanking, and Four Horseman CQB tactics. 

I have found a couple of good sniping spots on the Mars maps I have been on, but sniping is useless when ubers can either blink or triple jump to your nest and blow you away.  Only classes with abilities that grant active camo will be able to snipe without dying a lot.

The various Warlock armours all have powers along the lines of "Melee kills reduce your Grenade cooldown" or "Grenade kills reduce your Nova Bomb cooldown", and if you've been able to stack those, it can be more or less instant that you get your Nova Bomb back.

Sunsingers (and their nearby teammates) can get grenades back in seconds when they use their Super.

I am so getting left behind.

Get yourself built up.  The plan is to make The Devil's Lair run with a full fireteam made up of clan members and we can't do this until you, me, and Rippa are on sometime during the evening.  When our schedules sych up again, we will do this Fallen strike and move on to the Moon.

You still have extended duty, IIRC, and I will be home later than usual tonight because I have an auto service appointment.

In the interim, do some patrol missions, cash in some Vanguard bounties, and farm some green icon gear.

Has anyone done The Summoning Pits yet? That's actually the one I tried last night where I kept getting killed. We finished Devil's Lair fairly easily although the tank was a little tough.

I've run through it once. I died a few times, but that's mostly because I have a tendency to pop blade dancer when I'm low on health instead of retreating.

I'm already level 20, haven't finished the story, or gotten to Mars, even. If you're on later, like, six hours from now when I'm off work, I'll run through it with you if you like.

I actually finished it around 7:30EST yesterday. Took me a long damn time. Kept dying and people kept flaking out. Finally two guys stuck with me and we took that thing out. I was LVL12 at the time and the other two guys were LVL11 and 13.

Fusion Rifles were useless for me in Crucible, because I'd be dead before they fired. I think Shotguns are the ones to go for there. Fusion for Story mode, because they're best for taking out Shields.

Same here. I don't know if I'm just not using them correctly or what but it seems like I just get destroyed before I can even charge the things up.

You can get the Flawless Striker achievement if you personally finish the strike mission without dying.  I don't think that you forfeit the unlock if another member of the fireteam dies.  So long as we watch our shields and retreat when we get in trouble, we should make it through okay.

Flawless Striker: 20

Complete a Strike without anyone in your fireteam dying.

Goddammit...

I am not going to get on Mark about being ready and hiding behind solid cover because it will probably end up with me getting whacked first during The Devil's Lair strike and then i will get pissed off and rage quit.