DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

All purpose thread for probably the most-anticipated next-gen game. Which console are you guys planning on getting this for? Since I anticipate most of my playing to be with you DVDVR's, it'll probably influence if I get it for XBone or PS4.

From what I have seen from the gameplay footage,  The Hunter class will jive most with my style of play.  I think that eventually there is supposed to be interstellar travel.  I hated the find / build/ learn how to fly a starship days from SWG.

Why are you guys buying XBoxes you're letting the fucking bad guys win

The bad guys already won, we are just making the best of the world we live in.

By throwing away a hundred extra dollars and buying a less powerful system full of gimmicks?

Don't get me wrong, I see the merits of the console and will probably get one at some point in the future when the prices drop but if you were only getting one console and that's the one you get...

• Like 1

I already have both, and so far I have to say, I like the Xbox One more.  I'll probably get Destiny on the One, just because most of my friends who I play games with also have Ones.  I don't really have the brain time to pick one huge corporation that doesn't care about me over the other, it's just a conversation I'm not really interested in having.  So either buy a One or don't, I don't give a rat's ass either way.

• Like 1

Those are strange reasons to temper your excitement for the game, but whatever floats your boat.

Watch some of the Let's Plays out on YouTube right now of the Beta. The game is crazy fast paced, more players in a match is the last thing it needs.

Titanfall is 6v6 for design, not for "limitations."

The maps would not be able to hold more than 12 titans without severely impacting how fun it would be to use them. Even in one of the beta maps, all twelve titans being deployed caused a lot of traffic issues, as they would crowd the hotspots and make it hard for people to maneuver smoothly and effectively.

The general scale of the maps is that when on foot you're dealing with three-to-four levels with variance between indoor and outdoor areas. Once you're in the titan, the maps is limited to one or two of those areas, outdoors. That way the human players can maneuver around them to high ground or recessed low ground and compete with them without risking a face to face confrontation that they would lose basically immediately.

If you're worried about not having enough dudes to shoot, the map gets populated with minor AIs that engage in little dynamic sequences (think the staircase melee fight from the Call of Duty 4 campaign) that you can influence. Killing these minor AIs shorten the amount of time remaining until you can call your titan.

Just... go watch the game get played if you think that 16 vs. 16 or 32 vs 32 is practical in that game.

ALSO: Kind of insane that a game cant self-impose limits to make it feel different than other games! Kind of insane that that's considered a strike against it!

BACK TO TALKING ABOUT DESTINY NOW: it looks really cool, but I need at least five games I feel I NEED to play before I commit to the PS4, and I'm probably boxing up my 360 soon.

I agree with everything BL88 says. And glfpunk, I say this with no malice or trying to argue or anything, but I meant what I said about viewing some of the Beta (which just launched 2 days ago) videos on YouTube, if you haven't yet. I think you'll change your mind on the 6vs6 thing.

We should probably start a Titanfall topic to discuss these things though. This is Destiny talk.

I agree with everything BL88 says. And glfpunk, I say this with no malice or trying to argue or anything, but I meant what I said about viewing some of the Beta (which just launched 2 days ago) videos on YouTube, if you haven't yet. I think you'll change your mind on the 6vs6 thing.

We should probably start a Titanfall topic to discuss these things though. This is Destiny talk.

I've seen it and it def looks fun.  I don't have a One though and it will be a while until I get one so after the game is out for a while and we can see some reviews I'll probably be getting it on PC. 

• 3 weeks later...

So classes and races are now a matter of record.  Races include Humans, the Awoken (referred to on the Destiny boards as "space elves"), and the Exo, a race of sentient machines / cyborgs.

We all know that the three classes are Hunters (dex-based fighters), Warlocks (space magic types similar to Biotics in ME, can also use Traveler weapons), and Titans (heavy weapon soldiers).

I am a little disappointed about how space travel will be implimented.  Apparently we will be able to own and upgrade spaceships and store our loot in them, but we won't have manual control of spaceships .   So space travel will work on the KOTOR / Ebon Hawk system where our spaceship will just transition from one zone to another and access to other areas will become available as we upgrade our ships or purchase new ones.

Spaceships are more of a plot device / loot locker than an actual means of transportation.

Most travel on planets will be on foot, but players will be able to carry ground / air transportation in their spaceships (larger ships = better EVA vehicles) or commandeer enemy vehicles.

Destiny for all intent and purpose will be an FPS, but I am still curious about what form "loot" will take.  Will it be primarily weapons or customization options for space suits?  I'd like to be able to salvage equipment rather than grind endless missions to earn enough in-game currency to allow me to buy stuff like spaceships.  I would prefer that Destiny not have the exact same weapon centric loot scheme as Borderlands.

I am also curious about what functionality will not make the release day cut and end up as DLC.

I'm torn on first day purchase, as I'm getting, solely because of the DLC issue.  There are very few games not named Assassin's Creed that I'll buy DLC or a season pass for.  However, if I don't get it, I run the risk of being left behind depending on how the microtransaction market ends up (and I'm sure there's gonna be one, everything has one that has multiplayer now).