DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLE-1 "Outbreak" on 3/2/14 (With Results!)

Kevin Wilson

The first Sumo Hall event of the year for any promotion in Japan.  In an attempt to not make the event a total disaster, WRESTLE-1 has teamed up with TNA wrestling to put on a joint show.  I don't know if that will drastically help the attendance but it sure as hell won't hurt.  Here is the card as announced so far (will be edited as needed):

WRESTLE-1 Outbreak
March 2nd, 2014

Sumo Hall

Announced Attendance:  5,800 fans

1. NOSAWA Rongai, MAZADA, and Kazushi Miyamoto defeated Hiroshi Yamato, Andy Wu, and Daiki Inaba (3:38) with the Million Ladder Buster from Miyamoto to Inaba
2. Ryota Hama defeated Kikutaro (2:32) with the Raiden Drop
3. Manabu Soya and Seiki Yoshioka defeated Ryouji Sai and KAZMA SAKAMOTO (6:10) with the Wild Bomber from Soya to KAZMA
4. Special Singles Match: Satoshi Kojima  defeated Yasufumi Nakanoue (9:04) with the Lariat
5. WRESTLE-1 defeated TNA Tag Match: Christopher Daniels and Kazarian defeated Minoru Tanaka and Koji Kanemoto (10:43) with the Bad Elimination from Daniels to Tanaka
6. TNA Women's Wrestling Offer Match: Gail Kim defeated Madison Rayne (5:26) with the Eat Defeat
7. WRESTLE-1 vs. TNA Singles Match: Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Abyss - Double DQ (6:45)
8. WRESTLE-1 vs. TNA Singles Match: Masakatsu Funaki defeated Bobby Roode (11:27) with an Ankle Hold
9. WRESTLE-1 vs. TNA Special Six Man Tag Match: Keiji Mutoh, Rob Terry, and Taiyo Kea defeated Samoa Joe, Masayuki Kono, and Rene Dupree (13:34) with the Shining Wizard from Mutoh to Dupree
10. TNA World Tag Team Title 3 Way Match: Robbie E and Jessie Godderz defeated Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards © and Kaz Hayashi and Shuji Kondo (12:45) with the Bro Down from Godderz to Hayashi
11. TNA X-Division Title: Seiya Sanada defeated Austin Aries © (17:40) with a Rounding Body Press
12. TNA World Heavyweight Title: Magnus © defeated KAI (14:37) with the Diving Elbow Drop

Surprise was Taiyo Kea (better than Bob Sapp).

In an attempt to not make the event a total disaster, WRESTLE-1 has teamed up with TNA wrestling to put on a joint show.

Not a very good attempt.

Also there's a ton of irony behind "not make the event a total disaster" and "teamed up with TNA wrestling."

Actually in terms of what was available I think they did the best they could.  The obvious best solution would be to not try to run Sumo Hall, but if they are going to, they need help.  They can't run Funaki/Takayama and KAI/Sanada for the sixth time.  So of the promotions that could help (excluding WWE since they wouldn't), the best option would be New Japan.  But after that... who draws in Japan better than W-1 is?  Dragon Gate?  That would have been neat.  But after that they may as well have TNA as they are no worse than NOAH or All Japan in terms of interest.  TNA's general dysfunction really has nothing to do with their match quality, and 1.5 million people do watch them every week which is better than most promotions in the world can say.  Yes they offer lots of WTF stories for the IWC and their booking is suspect at best, but in the past no matter the booking they always had quality wrestlers here and there.

The real problem here is that TNA currently doesn't really have any stars known to fans of wrestling in Japan.  If they could have had Angle, Sting, and Styles all in big matches I think that would have helped the draw.  Not tremendously, don't get me wrong, but at least those are names that fans in Japan would know and probably seen wrestle at some point.  But the crew going to Japan, it is quite possible that they are all virtual unknowns.  I still think it will help since promotion vs. promotion is a concept that still seems to help in Japan, but if this event had happened a year ago it would have had more potential.  

- TNA World Tag Team Championship: Robbie E and Jesse Godderz © vs. Kaz Hayashi and Shuji Kondo 

WAR?  Is that you?

If the best Mutoh can do to help his promotion draw is no-name TNA midcarders, they absolutely shouldn't be running Sumo Hall.  I don't believe for a minute that wrestlers like Bully Ray or Sting would make a big difference to the attendance, but at least they could add some credibility to the matchups.  Is anyone in Japan really excited to see the Bromans?

(Worse yet, they are probably going to go over a much better team.)

Since Sanada's going to be at Lockdown a week later, I think it's a safe bet that he'll beat Austin Aries for the X Title.

And if the Lockdown match doesn't involve chopsticks on a pole, we can probably assume that Russo isn't "consulting" after all.

- TNA World Tag Team Championship: Robbie E and Jesse Godderz © vs. Kaz Hayashi and Shuji Kondo 

WAR?  Is that you?

If the best Mutoh can do to help his promotion draw is no-name TNA midcarders, they absolutely shouldn't be running Sumo Hall.  I don't believe for a minute that wrestlers like Bully Ray or Sting would make a big difference to the attendance, but at least they could add some credibility to the matchups.  Is anyone in Japan really excited to see the Bromans?

(Worse yet, they are probably going to go over a much better team.)

It was supposed to be the Wolves, then they decided to wait on the title change.

While I don't expect a good real number, 'before the show' shots in Japan are famous for not really showing the full picture since fans don't always get there until after the show starts.  Not that I am expecting a packed house or anything.

So, let me get this straight...

They put the Tag Team Titles on Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards on a houseshow, so they could put on the much better sounding Richards/Edwards vs. Hayashi/Kondo.

Then on the day of the show, they decide to put Robbie E. and Jessie Godderz back into the match, to make it a 3 Way and put the titles back on those guys.

TNA! TNA! TNA!

Christopher Daniels/Kazarian vs Minoru Tanaka/Koji Kanemoto and Sanada/Aries should both be really good matches, the rest range from trainwreck to disinterest to potential (but not holding my breath).  Really hope that Sanada/Aries delivered.