DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

I am so kicking myself for not reading this thread regularly. Luckily somebody posted a picture of Regal/Cesaro on Facebook, I had to ask who Regal was (swear I couldn't recognize him), and that led to me watching the match. It doesn't really get any better than that, folks. 

I never need to see Tyler Breeze actually be a tough guy.  Give me stooging, scamming, scum baggery every time.

This was also the best sing off ever.  Yes indeed.

Not nearly enough true heeling in wrestling these days.  Pull the tights, hold the ropes, have the manager trip someone, expose a turnbuckle, etc.

There's more heeling on this freaking message board than in wrestling these days.

• Like 2

I really liked Kruger's poacher gimmick.  That was one I thought would've worked well on the main roster since there's plenty of big game to hunt and trophies to collect.  Would've liked it more if he had kept most of his old aristocratic character and as he went on and faced off with stiffer competition you'd get glimpses of him having feral tendencies instead of the quick descent into a full-on barking loon that they did.

Via ringsidenews:

WWE now has their developmental talents doing classes and seminars, treating it like it's almost similar going to college. The idea is that they are trying to teach talents to not screw up like most people from the past had done and have skills for a post-wrestling.

They are going to have talent classes in marketing themselves, programs in teaching how to manage finances, college tuition reimbursement programs, media training and language courses.

WWE has formed a partnership with Money Management International to help the talents with their financial planning for the future. They will have classes that teach budgeting, debt control, help with choosing a tax professional, as well as helping them choose people to be financial planners and to help them with taxes.

They are also working with Kevin Sullivan Communications (not the WCW Kevin Sullivan) to teach talent media training, like how to avoid bad press on Twitter. Sullivan is the former White House Communications Director under George W. Bush

Developmental talents will also be given seminars in injury prevention and how to live a healthy lifestyle.

• Like 3

The latest word on Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards is that WWE will not be offering them a contract and the duo will not be at the next set of NXT tapings.

The reason the two aren't being offered a deal is because Triple H reportedly has an issue with their size. He feels NXT has enough smaller guys who can work great matches, and he is looking for talent that could headline WrestleMania in 5-10 years.

Source: The Wrestling Observer

• Like 1

I'm firmly convinced that it comes from the camp of the wrestlers whenever Meltzer writes something like this. Like he got in touch with Eddie and Davey when they weren't hired and they said it was because they were told it was because of their size. And obviously there could have been 50,000,000 reasons why they weren't hired -- fears of attitude problems, interview skills, etc.

Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards Update

We reported yesterday that WWE will not be offering contracts to Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards due to their size. While that is likely still true, The Wrestling Observer is now reporting that a blown spot during their latest NXT match might have added to that decision. 

During their NXT tryout match against The Ascension, there was a spot where Viktor picked Richards up awkwardly, resulting in Richards landing on his head. It's being said that they did the move differently when they working the match out before the tapings. 

After the spot, Triple H gave them orders (via the referee) to finish the match, but they didn't right away. The Observer is claiming this could have also played a part in why Richards and Edwards were not offered contracts. 

From Wrestlzone, quoting WON:

Screen-Shot-2013-12-19-at-12.27.50-PM-65

I can totally see that. At the time, my biggest problem with the match was around the blown spot. It wasn't that they blew it. That happens. It's that it looked downright horrific and they just sort of went on with the match afterwards instead of selling what just happened, which was probably the most brutal looking head drop I had seen on WWE TV all year. 

Finally got to the two/three falls match. 

1.) It's GREAT that this is now the NXT signature match. I love that. 

2.) At one point in the second fall, Kruger goes to whip Sami and Sami holds on and screams. The fans pop. Everything freezes. Kruger him again. It was a substitute hope spot and it had all of the effect of one while showing Sami's spirit and popping the crowd without actually putting Kruger at any risk or breaking his chain of dominance. It was a cool little substitution.

• Like 1

Finally got to the two/three falls match. 

1.) It's GREAT that this is now the NXT signature match. I love that. 

2.) At one point in the second fall, Kruger goes to whip Sami and Sami holds on and screams. The fans pop. Everything freezes. Kruger him again. It was a substitute hope spot and it had all of the effect of one while showing Sami's spirit and popping the crowd without actually putting Kruger at any risk or breaking his chain of dominance. It was a cool little substitution.

Great call on the whip spot. That spot really stood out to me and I couldn't figure out why. You answer the questions that plague my soul.

Catching up on some NXT things:

-Fucking hell Regal/Cesaro was amazing on so many levels.  I saw the buildup but disregarded it really.  Forget that and go on just that episode.  The promos, especially Regals, the little things in the match, and the post-match handshake.  Holy fucking hell it was just beautiful, poetic even.  Regal's promo gave me massive chills.

-Kruger changing his gimmick is beyond dumb.  Yeah, in his spot who'd he be to turn something down if they asked him?  But to just give up everything is stupid.  I liked his promos when he started the Kruger gimmick much better.  Wish he would have done that throughout the gimmick, shame he hasn't said much.  This gimmick he's doing now sounds really bad.

-I'm not surprised about the Pitbulls.  But it sucks because I like Eddie.  Met him a couple times and he's just a really cool guy.  I was hoping to hell with Davey, they'd give Eddie a shot.  But it was a package deal and Davey fucked up.  Goddamnit Davey.

If Kruger's gimmick change were to start along the lines of that performance skills video that was online a while back, it could be a cool thing. Wasn't he talking about the fans not taking to him, that he had to change how he presented himself? A really forced and disingenuous face is what I'm thinking. A self-aware Bo Dallas.

Of course, I'd love it if he could somehow be shunted into a babyface tag team, then turn on his partner as if the whole gimmick change were part of his hunting strategy.

WWE officials are very high on NXT superstar Mojo Rawley. Rawley is someone WWE feels could possibly carry the company in the future and it's expected he'll be pushed very strong when he's brought up to the main roster.

Source: F4WOnline.com

WWE officials are very high on NXT superstar Mojo Rawley. Rawley is someone WWE feels could possibly carry the company in the future and it's expected he'll be pushed very strong when he's brought up to the main roster.

Source: F4WOnline.com

lol. He's one of the few guys I don't think much of in NXt, so of course they think that.