DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Not only is the match amazing but that promo from Regal was pure gold. He put Cesaro over huge but still made you believe he had a chance and would take any opening he saw.

Talking about missing out on the WWE Title... he looked genuinely hurt. I thought back to the KotR win, his match with HHH when defending Eugene... I wonder if he did too?

The best part was that look he gave when he finished speaking. He knew he was walking to his doom, but his villainous pride wouldn't let him walk away from a fight.

It was exactly what a promo should be.

Even though the point of NXT and Regal there is to put shine on the new stars, I'd really like to see Regal kick someones ass. 

(Did he win against Hero? I forget.)

Either way. Cesaro is the MVP this year. Hands down. I want him to be elevated and then feud with Bryan.

I've just seen Regal's promo from last week's NXT. It's real chills down the spine stuff. Has me even more excited to see them fight. I really hope the young guys there in NXT pay close attention to Regal because he's truly fantastic. I know I'm saying nothing knew, but it was such a simple idea to get across in a couple of minutes and he does it so effectively. The pauses, the acknowledgement that his opponent is the better man, that he's done some dastardly things in the past, wonderful.

RSUEV VS. KOFI -- I'm pretty sure Lana is the most attractive female wrestling personality of all-time. This is purely subjective. But I love her. Stone cold fox. Anyways, Rusev is taking on Kofi Kingston. Regal's on commentary and gives a big tip of the cap to Antonio Cesaro after their amazing match last week. Nice and quick to wrap the angle up in a bow. There's no need to linger. I can't help but think of Cesaro during this match and the next one. Alex Reilly talks up Kofi's experience and how many titles he has won. Anyways, this match lasts about 3 minutes. I don't mind Kofi but man he totally mailed this in. His boom drop stuff looks so weak. Thankfully, Rusev wins with the Accolade. This was rough.

NATTIE VS. EMMA -- This is for the number one contendership for Paige's title. This, too, is like that. Nattie does one cool spot in this -- a really nasty looking surfboard type thing. It's so awesome looking. But the rest of it is why I don't like Nattie at all -- her stuff isn't snug, her selling is awful, etc. Emma wins after the Emma lock. Afterwards, it takes about three seconds of prompting for Nattie to do the Emma dance. Ugh.

Cesaro goes to NXT and has Match of the Year type things with well thought out angles. These two come in and it's a snooze. I don't know who books WWE guys on the NXT roster or not. But it looks like from this angle that Cesaro goes down to Florida and looks to make the show his in the best way possible. Everyone else just wants to not get hurt and don't really care about making the young people look any good.

AIDEN ENGLISH/BIG CASS SINGING CONTEST -- Oh my god, this is the best. Must-see television. This is such great wrestling camp tomfoolery and a great way to set up a feud. Aiden English does his super pretentious operatics. Regal talks about their relationship and something about getting tea together with a dwarf friend. Cass responds with some lunkhead song that's not so bad and a diss of Aiden and the NXT crowd eats it up. The crowd votes for Big Cass and Aiden is beside himself. He demands a second round! Aiden sings some showtune thing to diss Cass. Cass responds with a version of My Girl, but replacing the words with "You Suck!" The crowd joins in the prompt perfectly and it's spectacular. Big Cass takes his eyes off Aiden to cheer with the crowd and English clips his knee. And a feud begins between two very silly and fun characters. Great stuff.

TYLER BREEZE/MASON RYAN  -- Regal talks about how Renee gives him the "Cobbywobbles." Breeze is now wintering in some Brazilian getaway. Man, I can't believe Mason isn't on the main roster. He looks like every wrestling promoter's wet dream. We live in a new era when guys like Bryan and Punk and a bunch of other guys are on our television while this stiff isn't. Anyways, Sylvester LaFort (I forgot to throw that in -- he had a segment where Mason called him an idiot) comes to ringside and Ryan, like a total moron, goes to attack an ineffectual French manager. Breeze hits the Beauty Shot for the win. I love Breeze's gimmick and character but he hasn't been in a match longer than 45 seconds, I don't think. I really want him to be great. Hopefully he ups his game.

SAMI ZAYN/KRUGER 2 OUT OF 3 FALLS -- What a great touch with this gimmick, since Leo started attacking Sami in order to capture the attention of Antonio Cesaro, who he also challenged. Is Leo officially changing his gimmick? I hope not because his hunter character is really cool. Match starts with Kruger stalking Zayn on the floor. Alex Riley says he favors Sami because of his previous experience in 2 out of 3 falls matches. Regal says he favors Kruger because he took a beating from Cesaro and thinks Zayn is still suffering from his. Kruger has most of the early part of the match but Sami comes out with an Exploder Suplex into the corner, followed by his running boot. And Sami gets the first fall.

When we come out of the break, Sami is on the top rope trying for a superplex. Kruger LAUNCHES him to the floor!  It's CRAZY. Sami barely beats a 10 count and then survives a DDT. Kruger goes back to slowing the pace down and doing his stalking style offense of chokes and punches. Zayn gets a second win and hits his spinning powerbomb thing. Zayn goes to the apron. Zayn gets caught up and Kruger hits a spinning neckbreaker with Zayn's feet on the top rope like Orton's hangman DDT. It becomes a great battle of Zayn's flying versus Kruger's methodical nature. Kruger hooks his GC3 finishier -- a cool looking arm clutch -- but Sami gets the ropes. Kruger looses his temper.

Kruger continues to lose his temper and ends up ripping off his shirt after hitting the spinebuster. He sets up Sami for The Slice clothesline. But Sami ducks and hits a facebuster type thing. And then Sami hooks Leo in some arm submission and Leo taps! Sami wins 2-0!

Has a 2 out of 3 falls match EVER ended 2-0 like that?

Anyways, I really liked this match a lot. It wasn't as exciting as a lot of other matches but the story was well-done. Sami's resilience got the better of Kruger's patience. Now does Sami learn the lessons and finally beat Bo Dallas?

Kruger is apparently already doing the new gimmick on house shows, which is a pity.

Yeah, it sucks. He works the gimmick really well. But methodical doesn't always translate. It's probably smart of him to try his hand at doing something goofy like his new bit.

Kruger's Michael Hayes mixed with Adrian street gimmick on the house shows is something to see.

If you hated the first Kofi/Rusev match, wait till you see the rematch. I'm hoping Miz is booked vs Rusev on the 9th. It just makes sense.

I am so kicking myself for not reading this thread regularly. Luckily somebody posted a picture of Regal/Cesaro on Facebook, I had to ask who Regal was (swear I couldn't recognize him), and that led to me watching the match. It doesn't really get any better than that, folks. 

I never need to see Tyler Breeze actually be a tough guy.  Give me stooging, scamming, scum baggery every time.

This was also the best sing off ever.  Yes indeed.

Not nearly enough true heeling in wrestling these days.  Pull the tights, hold the ropes, have the manager trip someone, expose a turnbuckle, etc.

There's more heeling on this freaking message board than in wrestling these days.

• Like 2

I really liked Kruger's poacher gimmick.  That was one I thought would've worked well on the main roster since there's plenty of big game to hunt and trophies to collect.  Would've liked it more if he had kept most of his old aristocratic character and as he went on and faced off with stiffer competition you'd get glimpses of him having feral tendencies instead of the quick descent into a full-on barking loon that they did.

Via ringsidenews:

WWE now has their developmental talents doing classes and seminars, treating it like it's almost similar going to college. The idea is that they are trying to teach talents to not screw up like most people from the past had done and have skills for a post-wrestling.

They are going to have talent classes in marketing themselves, programs in teaching how to manage finances, college tuition reimbursement programs, media training and language courses.

WWE has formed a partnership with Money Management International to help the talents with their financial planning for the future. They will have classes that teach budgeting, debt control, help with choosing a tax professional, as well as helping them choose people to be financial planners and to help them with taxes.

They are also working with Kevin Sullivan Communications (not the WCW Kevin Sullivan) to teach talent media training, like how to avoid bad press on Twitter. Sullivan is the former White House Communications Director under George W. Bush

Developmental talents will also be given seminars in injury prevention and how to live a healthy lifestyle.

• Like 3

The latest word on Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards is that WWE will not be offering them a contract and the duo will not be at the next set of NXT tapings.

The reason the two aren't being offered a deal is because Triple H reportedly has an issue with their size. He feels NXT has enough smaller guys who can work great matches, and he is looking for talent that could headline WrestleMania in 5-10 years.

Source: The Wrestling Observer

• Like 1