DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Everything about Bo is generic as fuck. I get what they're going for, but god is it boring IMO.

I think you have to walk a fine line with Bo in that he can't be too "good" or the gimmick falls apart.  I thought about it and Bo is Curt Hawkins with a rabbit's foot but he thinks he's Triple H.  He has to get by on luck more than skill (which is what he did in the matches against Zayn, C.J. Parker and Neville) or he might actually look like a worthy champion.  Even he was cheating to get ahead, it would look like he was out smarting guys which still does not fit with the character.  

• Like 1

This week's show really wasn't much. Bayley was good in the Divas tag, but the other matches weren't really there. The Ascension really are black holes of suck at this point. They have to figure out a way to get the belts off them pronto. The finish to the Zeyn/Kruger match made it look like Kruger really just took advantage of a mistake, which is the right way to book it, and then they let Sami get some heat back after, but they'll have to get him back into the title picture at some point.

200th show looks interesting, but I want to see what happens with Regal/Cesaro next week to set up the match on the final show of the year. They got two weeks left to put things into motion.

ASCENSION VS. HUNICO/CAMACHO -- They get right into things this week. Regan and A-Ry are on color and Regal really lays into A-Ry a few times. It's great. This match started off pretty slowly. The Ascension had the control segment and it was very chinlock heavy. To their credit, they did do some neck wrenching and the like but it was pretty boring. But I really liked the end segment a lot. After the hot tag, O'Brien was getting worked on by Hunico (or Camacho, but whatevs). Viktor broke up the tag. Then he took a nasty bump to the floor. Hunico (or Camach, but whatevs) was about to tag in his partner when Viktor popped up and pulled the dude off the apron, essentially taking him from the match. Viktor then ran over to his corner, tagged in, and they hit their finisher now called "The Maul of Man" or something along those lines. Really clever ending that I don't remember seeing before. They're starting to put The Ascension over as a really smart tag team that cuts the ring into quarters (not just halves) and the like. They're so good they've even forced other partnerships to break up. They're starting to grow on me. Just get these guys some backstory to make their characters work and we might be onto something.

RUSEV VS. KASSIUS -- Is this Ohno's goodbye match? Rusev just squashed him, save for one or two strikes. It was well laid out, though. Kassius came in wearing some tape on his back, courtesy of what the Bulgarian did to him a few weeks ago. Rusev went after the back, naturally, and finally won with The Accolade. He refused to let go post-match Iron Shiek style until Lana came in and ordered him to stop. Quick little thing. Thank you, Kassius. Hope you get to come back soon.

NATALYA/BAILEY vs. BFFS -- Nattie meets up with Bailey backstage to rev her up for the match. Man, Nattie just looks SO fake in any segment like this. The match itself was very good. A lot of quick work. The heels targeted Bailey because of her inexperience. Nattie even the odds and was going to get the Sharpshooter on Sasha when Summer Rae made the save. Nattie's head hit the turnbuckle and Bailey was in there by herself. She knocked Summer to the floor but Sasha hit her with a neckbreaker dubbed Bankrupt for the win. The BFFs did some great heel taunting afterwards. "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?" Man, they rule it so much on this show.

Quick promo from a sadistic Leo Kruger. Thinking and Kruger -- I really wish he was in ECW in the 90s. He would have been great then because he could have gotten his stuff over as truly sadistic with a lot of bloodletting. I could see him in a lot of garbage match type of stuff.

SCOTT DAWSON/MOJO RAWLEY -- It's mentioned that Dawson has never taken a day off from any job he has ever had, and then list the various blue-collar positions he's worked. Awesome. They also talk up Dawson's Arn Anderson competition. It's getting uncanny -- he does all of these things like nose grips and stuff that are straight-up Arn. This is sort of a Scott Dawson showcase, as he just does a lot of stuff until he eats an ass bump from Rawley followed by a running sit-down splash. Dawson then jumps Mojo post-match. Dawson rules. He's a total keeper. If you're going to completely ape a retired dude's bumping style and facial expressions and general ring theory, you can't do better than AA.

LEO KRUGER VS. SAMI ZAYN -- Kruger gets control early with a nasty, nasty, nasty spinebuster. He does a lot of "stalking" type things outside the ring. Sami gets control chops Kruger a lot. Regal puts over how that takes away oxygen. Sami then hits a Steamboat-esque crossbody and almost gets the win -- ties in perfectly to the "take away a man's air" strategy. Sami goes to hit the Tornado DDT but Kruger causes Sami to slip on the top and then Kruger hits his awesome lariat for the win. A stunningly quick win. Kruger wants to inflict more damage post-match, but Sami knocks Kruger to the floor and then does his crazy no hands flipping plancha and slugs him until there's a pull-apart. Shocking result but continues a feud between two guys I like quite a bit.

According to their twitter accounts, Kalisto and El Local (Samuray del Sol and Ricardo Rodriguez) are going to be packaged as a tag team.

So, Vince just saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Good to know. And gimmick aside, "Adam Rose" is the blandest name that ever did bland. Unless they retcon him to be Playboy Buddy Rose's son. Then it's golden.

The idea Vince is involved in NXT Creative decisions is genuinely insane.

The gimmick change was Kruger's idea. He felt the change was necessary as WWE Creative didn't seem interested in him after all this time.

Wasn't a fan of the show this week. One of the worst ones I've seen, actually. Kind of felt like a nothing show. I'm always a couple of days late in my watching compared to the other NXT regulars it would seem. I could have saved an hour had I just read the thread. :P

I will say that the future Divas all seem like, for the most part, they're going to crap all over the generation of Divas that came before them. There's a lot of talent down in NXT where as on the main roster, it's like...AJ & that's about it.

I find the NXT divas to be massively overrated. Ring wise they aren't any better than the current roster who do fine (honestly better) when they are actually given more than two minutes.  What the NXT divas have going for them is pretty much character focus given to them by NXT. The problem is they more than likely won't have that on the main roster unless they luck out like Summer Rae getting a position next to character like Fandango.

• Like 1

I find the NXT divas to be massively overrated. Ring wise they aren't any better than the current roster who do fine (honestly better) when they are actually given more than two minutes.  What the NXT divas have going for them is pretty much character focus given to them by NXT. The problem is they more than likely won't have that on the main roster unless they luck out like Summer Rae getting a position next to character like Fandango.

I am failing to find words to express how strongly I disagree with you.

• Like 2

I find the NXT divas to be massively overrated. Ring wise they aren't any better than the current roster who do fine (honestly better) when they are actually given more than two minutes. What the NXT divas have going for them is pretty much character focus given to them by NXT. The problem is they more than likely won't have that on the main roster unless they luck out like Summer Rae getting a position next to character like Fandango.

I am failing to find words to express how strongly I disagree with you.

Ohhhh, I got one for you: "Poppycock!"

Davey Richards took that last name "Billington" for his WWE name. This is my shocked face.

Good stuff tonight, although Kidd definitely isn't the same as he was before. I'm not sure how much longer he's going to be able to go with guys that can what he does so much better. Pitbulls debut was alright. Richards and Viktor fucked up on a back suplex flip spot, with Richards landing on his head. Not exactly the best. They didn't get too much in because they're still protecting The Ascension, but I wouldn't mind seeing them come back if they do more stuff like this. Edwards had a nice Shining Wizard.

Paige is ready in the ring, but still needs a gimmick to be main show ready. 

Main was good. Dallas knows how to lay it in and be serious when he needs to. You can see him getting better each week. One thing I love about NXT is that it's rare to see two guys just get thrown together. Even if they end one story, they somehow get someone else involved. Tonight, the progression to Breeze/Neville is brilliant.

Oh, and CESARO/REGAL NEXT WEEK, FUCKERS. MERRY CHRISTMAS INDEED.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thought that Richards' new name was DEREK Billington? Once Bateman left that name was free I suppose.

I'm not as down on The Ascension's wrestling as most, but that was probably the clunkiest they've ever looked. That gimmick needs turning up or scrapping, Why are they supposed to be evil? They don't do anything particularly diabolical. They need to become way more sadistic in ring, or get a gimmick like a weird box with some hideous torture inside that they try and inflict on people. Hell, give them the Brood's blood bath, Right now, they are just dudes in wacky clothes who make funny faces in blue light. Yes, I realise that's all the Undertaker's done since 2003. 

Backstage bit with Enzo, Cass and Aiden English was great. Were all the lumberjacks for the main event people who have WWE developmental contracts? Or just random Florida indy guys doing that show? Because there were some random looking people there (A white guy who appeared to be cosplaying The Cat, a Barry Horowitz lookalike in a leotard). I approve of the cowboys in contrasting stetsons. Wrestling always needs cowboys. 

I'm not as down on The Ascension's wrestling as most, but that was probably the clunkiest they've ever looked. That gimmick needs turning up or scrapping, Why are they supposed to be evil? They don't do anything particularly diabolical. They need to become way more sadistic in ring, or get a gimmick like a weird box with some hideous torture inside that they try and inflict on people. Hell, give them the Brood's blood bath, Right now, they are just dudes in wacky clothes who make funny faces in blue light. Yes, I realise that's all the Undertaker's done since 2003. 

More sadism plus this box:

hellraiser.jpg

• Like 1