DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

What the hell, subpar interviewer lady? CJ Parker just said Goo Goo G'Joob in your face and you just stare blankly with an unmoving mouth, looking deathly afraid of dropping the mic. 

Devin Taylor (Brittany Fetkin)

To be fair, she managed to move her eyes juuuuuuuuust a little when Emma and Paige were arguing.

How the hell do you not play off of Emma. Lance Storm could play off of Emma. Kerry Von Erich's detached foot could play off of Emma (edit: I wanted to use Mad Dog Vachon's peg leg but it was too soon and the end result is just sort of weird. I'm sorry).

I like Bo's Anti-Cena act, but there are a few other guys who deserve to be called up way before him. 

Not really.  Bo has been there a long time and is doing the best work of his career.

Zayn hasn't really been with NXT that long.  Every other non-diva still could use some polish/time.

Let's be honest here, there is a bit of nepotism when it comes to 2nd, and 3rd generation wrestlers being called up sooner than other more talented wrestlers. 

While Bo has shown a ton of improvement developing his character, he still hasn't shown anything special when it comes to his ring work. 

We start off with THE BOSS OF THE WORLD ANTONIO CESARO asked about William Regal. Cesaro does a great awful British accent when threatening Regal when he's interrupted by Leo Kruger. Kruger thanks Cesaro for their match -- Cesaro dominated but Kruger looked like a PROBLEM in how much it took to put him down. He also mentions his upcoming match with Sami Zayn, Cesaro's old foe. Kruger asks to join the Real Americans. The heels whisper. Great, short segment -- it advances the Cesaro/Regal agenda; it advances Kruger's motivations after his loss against Cesro; Cesaro naturally still hates Sami who nearly destroyed his reputation; it adds heat to Kruger/Zayn series that didn't have any reason until now. And more importantly, it shows the purpose of NXT -- these guys want to get to the big leagues. How you go about getting there defines you as a person. Leo Kruger is the type of person who will make a deal with the devil (or Zeb Colter's Swiss henchman) in order to get there. All of this, mind you, happened in 90 seconds.

PAIGE VS. NATALYA -- Great Malenko/Guerrero stuff to start. This has a good story that I like -- they start off respectful and then it gets a little nasty as each one realizes how hard it is going to be to win this match. The end sequence is really good, I thought. Natalya gets Paige in the Sharpshooter. Paige reaches for the ropes but Nattie pulls her into the middle of the ring. Paige this times goes to the corner. Right when he's about to tap, she flips Natalya's head into the corner. They both recover. Paige hits the Paige Turner and gets the very big win. This had a lot of good stuff to it. A lot of VERY good stuff. Natty, though, doesn't look like she's wrestling with her facial expressions. It's like you can see her thinking "I have to look like I'm hurt" as opposed to looking hurt. But this was easily her best match in a long time and probably ever. Paige friggin' rules. Her and AJ are going to have a "Steal The Show" type of match within three years. I can't wait for them to finally cross paths. They're made to feud.

ALEXANDER RUSEV is in the back with LANA, who is talking in what I assume is Bulgarian but might be Russian gibberish. TYLER BREEZE interrupts to thank Rusev for taking out Ohno the week before. He wants the two of them to go to one of his modelling gigs shortly. "I'll send you the e-vite!" he says after Lana shoes him away. More stuff about crushing Ohno.

MOJO RAWLEY is out for an interview. He talks about how he's stayed hype this whole time. He wants to be NXT champ and then he can get on to Raw. Very natural delivery. He's interrupted by SYLVESTER LA FORT and SCOTT DAWSON. Sylvester wants to help Mojo's career so they can all make ze money. Mojo shakes him off and talks about his past with shady NFL agents and how he's been stiffing Dawson. Dawson goes over this in his brain ("I guess the checks are waitin' for me in the bill box") while LeFort gives this great "pleaseohpleaseohplease believe me" face. They've got a match next week. This was really good, simple promo. Mojo came off really well -- nowhere near the energy he has in the ring, which is good because if he acted like that on camera he'd be terrible. Nice read on how to play the character. Dawson and La Fort also ruled in this, too. "Caffeine High." Great stooges.

AIDEN ENGLISH VS. -- We don't get to hear the guy's name because Aiden comes out before he's even announced to begin his show tunes. His entrances are spectacular. I also don't know if those are new trunks or not but they're ridiculously great. This is another Aiden squash. Renee talks up his acting/opera accomplishments during the match. He says at one point "To be or not to be!" before hitting some move.

CESARO interrupts Aiden's exit. He asks Byron Sexton to come up to the stage so he can offer him an apology -- in FIVE languages nonetheless! This is great heel insincerity. Cesaro then wants Byron to say "WE THE PEOPLE!" He refuses. Cesaro bullies him into saying it and he says it dripping with shame. Cesaro then bullies him some more and looks over his shoulder for Regal, who isn't there. He keeps taunting Byron saying "WHERE'S REGAL?" He doesn't show up so Cesaro slaps Byron and walks back. This was such a great play on the usual trope of heel bullying. He obviously came up with this whole plan to lure Regal into a fight but none was there. Was the old villain up to the ploy and wanted none of it? Or did Regal see this and not want any piece of Cesaro, as he hinted at last week? SO GOOD.

They show an interview with Sami from last week talking about losing the number one contendership to Adrian Neville. He's disappointed but accepting of his loss but not giving up. Then Leo Kruger knocks him from the side and taunts him. Aha, they already have something brewing. Did Kruger come up with this idea before -- if I beat up Sami, I can get myself in the good graces of The Real Americans and join them in the big leagues?

TYSON KIDD vs. LEO KRUGER -- Alex Riley says Tyson Kidd resembles Eddie Guerrero. A-Ry's been fine tonight (aside from talking about Miley Cyrus during the Paige match) but this... uhm...Kruger attacked Kidd a few months ago when Kidd was injured. Kruger manhandles Kidd and works on his surgically repaired knee. He hooks the Sharpshooter and looks to get the tap-out that way in an awesome bit of dickishness. Sami comes out and catches Leo's eye. Leo gets distracted and Tyson wins with a quick roll-up. Sami makes a great "Ohhh, I didn't mean for that to happen!" mocking face. A-Ry talks about how he sees Bo Dallas' POV that Sami's a sore loser. This didn't feel like that. It felt like a dude who got jumped by this guy for no real reason getting his comeuppance a bit. Kruger works really well in-character as a hunter. It's very methodical and grueling looking. It's a bit slow-paced which might hurt him getting over on a bigger stage but it works well with his persona.

HUNICO and CAMACHO are hanging out in some electrical closet apparently and say some things about getting the talents.

BO DALLAS vs. ADRIAN NEVILLE -- This was also a very good solid match. Bo started off in control, hitting his offense -- very simple, decently crisp stuff. He at one point was in the corner and the middle turnbuckle came off -- a few weeks back, a similar thing happened to Sami Zayn that cost Sami the match against Bo. Hmm. Anyways, Bo pulls down his knee pad and climbs the ropes and screams "DON'T STOP BO-LIEVING!" before missing a knee drop. Neville works over the leg and also has some kicks. He makes an incredibly dive over the floor onto Bo. He eventually gets Bo into position for The Red Devil, however Bo slips to the floor. Neville cross-bodies Bo on the floor and the ref starts to count. Both men are on the apron at 9. Neville rolls into the ring. Bo drops to the floor. Neville wins via countout.

It looks like they're headed in a direction where Bo very cunningly escapes with wins -- a coy pull of the turbnuckle, taking a countout loss like that, etc. That's the PERFECT way for a blowhard like him to win matches and keep the title.

NXT, thank you. You are the best.

ALEXANDER RUSEV is in the back with LANA, who is talking in what I assume is Bulgarian but might be Russian gibberish.

Rusev always speaks in Bulgarian, and Lana speaks in Russian.

I thought she spoke in Russian. However, I know nothing about Bulgarian so I thought there may have been a similar language crossover -- Ukrainian and Russian are essentially interchangeable.

ALEXANDER RUSEV is in the back with LANA, who is talking in what I assume is Bulgarian but might be Russian gibberish.

Rusev always speaks in Bulgarian, and Lana speaks in Russian.

I thought she spoke in Russian. However, I know nothing about Bulgarian so I thought there may have been a similar language crossover -- Ukrainian and Russian are essentially interchangeable.

Bulgarian is from the same group of languages so there are certain similarities between Bulgarian and Russian but nowhere near as much as with Ukrainian and Russian. If you know Bulgarian or Russian you can understand certain phrases and words from the other language, but overall they're clearly different languages.

Anyway, neither Rusev or Lana have said anything all that interesting in their promos so far. It's been mostly Lana talking about how great and powerful Rusev is and Rusev talking about dominating dudes and going after the NXT Title. I guess the most interesting thing to come out of their promos so far was from this one promo from Tout where Lana said that Lefort kept stealing Rusev's MONAY~! and Rusev proclaimed that to be the reason why he dumped Lefort as his manager.

Solomon Crowe (Sami Callihan) is tweeting about debuting tonight, so I assume there is an NXT taping and that is what he is referring to. He's probably the first dude since Bryan that I am actively excited to see on the main roster. I can't wait for his inevitable match/feud with Regal.

Here is one report about the debut.   Confused on what the gimmick is supposed to be but intriguing:

"Kalisto (the former Samuray del Sol, who notably brought his “lucha, lucha” chant over to WWE) came out after intermission to hype the rest of the events for the evening. NXT is basically having their new talent test their in-ring promo ability by having them as hype men, to those who might be confused.

Kalisto did his glowing baton routine, which actually is kinda cool, and he was about to do the traditional live event “hyping up the crowd by giving away free stuff” bit, when the lights went out and the sound you usually hear during an Emergency Broadcast Signal blared over the speakers. The lights were flickering, so you could barely tell at first, but someone had attacked Kalisto.

The lights came on to reveal Solomon Crowe, who has a very maniacal look on his face, with his finger hovering over a tablet, indicating that he basically has the entire arena hacked.
Without a word, he presses a button on his tablet, shutting off the lights and setting off the EBS alarm, and disappears.

Here is one report about the debut.   Confused on what the gimmick is supposed to be but intriguing:

Computer hacker...

The fact that he can control any electronic device reminds me of that new video game Watch_Dogs.