DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Thought NXT was pretty great this week.  The women's match was talked up by Tim Evans a month ago as he was at the tapings and I was kind of skeptical but it ended up being as good a Diva's match as you are going to see.  In fact I can't remember the last time a Divas match had a big time feel like that, let alone one that had that feel and then delivered.  Both Emma and Paige have a ton of natural charisma and the match was really smart worked with build to the big spots, several of which were set up in pretty nifty ways.  Sheamus v. Harper was an awesome heavyweight slugfest, with the best moments in it feeling like an absolute war.  I also really enjoyed the Zeb/Cesaro promo

This week's show was fantastic.Really good TV match with Paige and Emma. Crazy to see people care about a WWE women's match, but those girls deserved it.

Tyler Breeze looks like a really fun gimmick. The entrance was cool and the way he came in with an already produced entrance made him seem big league, but once the bell rang and he was more physical than expected, that really was the perfect touch. I LOVED that once the bell rang he was a mean little bastard, almost like a throwback to Adrian Street. I hope Breeze ends up in a team or feud with Fandango.

I think Rick Victor is a good fit for Ascension but I still dont really buy the gimmick, it's cartoony. O'Brien in particular looks and acts like someone they get to play a wrestler when characters on sitcoms go to a wrestling match. I like Victor's work though and he should help the act considerably.

Zeb Coulter's promo insinuating that Sami Zayn used to wear a mask to wrestle like those Mexicans was incredibly awesome. Whoever green lit that promo, I love you.Pretty amazing that they changed virtually nothing about Brodie Lee except the name. Who is the last indy guy who got to keep that much of his indy persona besides Punk and Cesaro? 

Really great one hour show.

Wtf, Hero seems like he's in the best shape of his life, it's crazy how the worst(triple H) is on raw proclaiming Danielson as more then deserving because of his size then shitting on Hero because he's not fucking with the 80lb dumbbells.

-Womens match was pretty darn entertaining.  I love the Emma gimmick (And I've got the ridiculous music stuck in my head still!) and think it is WWE-ready (it's amazing how over a bad dancing gimmick is!), unfortunately, I think WWE would probably make her drop weight because she's not quite anorexic enough.  Paige, on the other hand, is WWE-ready now.  It seems like it would have been better to debut her just in time for Total Divas instead of two women who have (presumably) never wrestled before in their life.

-Put Tyler Breeze on WWE tv now.  That gimmick is pure gold.  The only tweak I'd add is have him managed by Sylvester Lefort who can tweet out the selfies Breeze takes during his entrance.  Also, I'd like to see Breeze do his model pout over his prone opponent and tweet that out too.  But, yeah, I'd put him on WWE TV tomorrow.

-Ascension-Mustache guys was pretty awful.  Connor O'Brian (Why wouldn't you change his name to something that doesn't sound like a talk show host's name?!  It's like naming a wrestler Jeremy Leno, Jackie Kimmel or Delbert Letterman...if those show up on NXT in the near future, I want money) is the kind of guy, who you can tell puts in a lot of work for what he's doing but, God help him, he's just not that good.  I'd have him be the bodyguard for a heel.  What is the Ascension's gimmick anyways?  As far as I can tell they are gay time-traveling strippers from the future.  Also, Victor's pre-match gesture looked like he was making the sign of having a vagina.  Also why did he hold the leg for so long after they won?  It was disturbing, but not in a "They're evil" way, more in a "I wonder if he has to go around the neighbourhood introducing himself when he moves in" way.  Aiden English should be on my TV more.  I love his look.

-Main event was a helluva lot of fun.  Harper and Sheamus threw some bombs and the commentators were losing it (I actually like Maddox on commentary, he's not as good as Regal but he's fairly entertaining).  I'd like to see Harper do the "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" thing on WWE TV.

I guess I should also make a mention that I'm amazed at how totally amazing the NXT crowd is EVERY week.  They're just totally into it (Doing Emma's dance, calling Harper's "Yeah Yeah Yeah" back at him, lots of chanting) but not in a smarky 'look at me!' way.  And that's watching several tapings at once!

• Like 1

Wtf, Hero seems like he's in the best shape of his life, it's crazy how the worst(triple H) is on raw proclaiming Danielson as more then deserving because of his size then shitting on Hero because he's not fucking with the 80lb dumbbells.

2003 called. They want you back.

• Like 1

I have no issue with them punishing Hero for not getting into shape, especially since they've mentioned it multiple times.  He is a naturally big guy working at a company full of naturally small guys.  He doesn't need to be Rick Rude in the physique department, but losing the baby fat would make him look distinct against most of the roster.  The fact that he is in the best shape of his career and still can be described as doughy is the exact reason he is being punished.  Being in shape is based on nothing but effort, and he obviously isn't putting in forth the effort to get into the shape that he needs to be in to further his career.  Part of his job is to be in shape, and he isn't doing it therefore they had to let him know that he better get serious about his body.

That woman's match was terrific. It was just a good, simple match with two well-developed characters (as much as a bad Aussie dancer can be developed) going at it. I really like Brad Maddox during this match, too. They put the near-fall of the Superplex over like crazy. I loved how Paige knew she was in trouble and slid over to the ropes a bit right before the pin attempt -- she won because she's a little more serious and cagey, which trumped Emma's spitfire spunk. The crowd was also great and proof that girls can get over with good wrestling alone. The divas stuff has been getting better in some aspects -- AJ's a terrific character and has the personality to anchor the division, Kaitlyn's a pretty good foil (albeit a terrible actrress), Layla's heel again. Summer Rae's at least a credible second for a goofball character. Once Emma and Paige come up (and once Charlotte Flair, who has "it" in spades), they're going to have a great crop of young faces. They're all really attractive, too, which goes a long way in getting over, obviously. Less Bellas, more this, plz.The Cesaro/Zeb promo was great. That's exactly how it should be -- Zeb and Cesaro attempting to ruin Sami's life. They didn't have to say the real reason for things like the background check (Sami has Antonio's number) but Cesaro's "I am going to take joy in it" line just shows why he's going above and beyond heel duty. That's a heel right there, going completely overboard in reaction to losing.And speaking of heels, I think Tyler Breeze is about to become my favorite wrestler. Selfie-obsessed male model with furry boots as a stylish accoutrement? His Twitter handle of @MmmDelicious is amazing. Brad Maddox's "He has a great data plan" is ridiculously entertaining. He already has some good Zbysco-stalling down with insisting to take his picture even after the bell rings and during the match. He also has a good nastiness a character like this should have. Angelo Dawson's sell of that spin kick (which is a crappy finisher) was top-notch, as well. Great debut squash.I'm just fast-forwarding past any Ascension stuff. I love completely over-the-top gimmicks but these guys are terrible at it. I didn't mind this match, though. They had some good big-man double teams. I really wish they'd do something w/ Aiden English already. I know him a little bit (via The Best Show on WFMU) and he's really talented.Good main event, too. The Wyatt Family is the best act in the WWE  in ages. I am a total mark for this gimmick. Sheamus is probably my least favorite guy on the roster (Yes, he has good matches but...) and I love his dumb dumb logic. "I HAVE TO DO THESE TEN APRON CHEST CLUBS BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT I HAVE TO DO!" But, of course that came to hurt him since he's a dummie and there's multiple dudes at ringside. As great as Bray is, I think Luke Harper's going to be a huge star when they eventually do the inevitable "Luke gains humanity and breaks Bray's grasp" angle. He's awesome. Nasty spinning lariat and he took the Brogue like two-and-a-half-men. Bray's facial expressions during the match and afterwards -- that guy's the best. Catching flies.

• Like 1

The Ascension somehow came off as more major league looking in FCW.  Maybe they had more seizure inducing lights then.  They also had the glowing moon rock gimmick.  Eddie Guerrero's daughter having orgasms at ringside really helped too.  Maybe they should replace her with Paige.  And Conor O'Brian really needs a more sinister sounding ring name.

I don't like that they just cut and pasted another person into Kenneth Cameron's role. If the original duo hadn't debuted on NXT as rather a great team, I might be able to appreciate this incarnation more. But now it just seems like another transplanted wrestler into a team. The New Ascension can join the New Rockers and the New Blackjacks and the new Midnight Express and, well you get my drift.

Other news this week, Paige and Emma were great, my girlfriend shares the latters name and first time seeing her did NOT appreciate the dancing. Then she said that Tyler Breeze looks like Dolph Ziggler which annoyed me because I thought he was a very younger Chris Jericho circa 97. HHH showing up was a surprise and a pleasant one.

I've said it before, but NXT is fast becoming my favourite wrestling show of the week.

Oh, and Wyatt Family.

As someone who never saw the original Ascension, I rather like this team.  I think they'll make a great big man tag-team (something the main roster is lacking right now) and I thought Rick Victor was awesome murdering Aiden English.

Outside of that I'm pretty much with everyone else.  Tyler Breeze was fun to watch, the women's match was real good and Shaemus and Harper had a super fun match too.

I have no issue with them punishing Hero for not getting into shape, especially since they've mentioned it multiple times.  He is a naturally big guy working at a company full of naturally small guys.  He doesn't need to be Rick Rude in the physique department, but losing the baby fat would make him look distinct against most of the roster.  The fact that he is in the best shape of his career and still can be described as doughy is the exact reason he is being punished.  Being in shape is based on nothing but effort, and he obviously isn't putting in forth the effort to get into the shape that he needs to be in to further his career.  Part of his job is to be in shape, and he isn't doing it therefore they had to let him know that he better get serious about his body.
I guess I haven't been paying Hero's body much attention, because I thought he got in real Barry Windhamish shape. Ah well.

I guess I haven't been paying Hero's body much attention, because I thought he got in real Barry Windhamish shape. Ah well.

He did, but then there were issues with the medical testing.

I reviewed this week's NXT here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/wwe-nxt-7312013-results-and-review.html

Overall thoughts: This was a great and must see episode of NXT. The first few segments were all pretty enjoyable, the diva's match was good and Bray's NXT send-off promo was awesome. The main was fine and The Shield were good here too.

Some shots from the show:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I skipped past the Tons of Funk stuff (although I do like S-A-W-F-T a lot) to the Dusty dance-off segment.

That was nice and goofy. Summer Rae is such a good catty pain-in-the-ass. The scene needed Paige doing a dismissive eye roll to really work, though.

Sasha Banks did some great heeling. I loved her "SMILE!" when she had Charlotte in the Camel Clutch and pulled on her mouth. Charlotte's got the potential to be awesome. She has great athleticism and they're using her gymnastics background really well in her moveset. She still has a lot of work left in making her stuff look really crisp but she's going to get there. I really hope they stop the "From Charlotte, North Carolina... CHARLOTTE!" introduction. Also, Charlotte's super tall. Are we sure her mom's not Baby Doll?

Tyler Breeze is wrestling. Pretty boy heels of his magnitude are an archetype that we should always have in wrestling. I loved that we're having a feud based around goofy photobombing segments. That's perfect since a total douche like Tyler Breeze would totally hate his phone polluted with filth.

The Wyatt Family -- This is the best act in the world. This is the best act in years. Luke Harper just absolutely crushes it in the ring. Rowan's still green in the ring but the dude just needs to wear a sheep's mask and tilt his head and he's the most Old Testament frightening person since Michael Tarver hopped the railing wearing his handkerchief. And that promo from Bray -- wow. I guess we know what his face interviews are going to be like, since it's damn near inevitable he's going to be a main event character in a not very long time. I love that he threatens WORLD LEADERS and not just other wrestlers. "TODAY IS THE DAY WHEN HELL FROZE! TODAY IS THE DAY WHEN PIGS FLEW!" Thank you, Bray. Indeed.I barely watched that Corey Graves match. Dude puts me to sleep. The big leagues are REALLY missing out not having The Shield talk more. I'm really impressed with Rollins' development on the mic. He's such a good little prick. I loved him tapping the belt with a smirk when Ambrose was talking. Roman's Scott Hall "OOOOH" was also good stuff.

Charlotte is sort of awkward because she doesn't move like a wrestler at all.

Bray's promo was awesome, like a local babyface getting called up to the big time and saying farewell to the fans. Nice callback to his FCW debut promo with "Time is on my side".

The Shield were great as cool cocky heels. "Brother, do you know who you're talking to?"

Kruger's lariat was rad.