DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Has anyone been to an NXT taping at Full Sail? I am thinking about taking a long weekend vacation and might go see a show.

How long in advance do they announce shows? Are tickets easy to get? Are any of the wrestlers around for signings/photos? What about Regal or Dusty? You can reply here or PM/DM ME.

Really starting to like Scott Dawson, everything he does looks precise and crisp. He's probably lacking the cutting edge to be a singles act, but can see him being part of a great tag team on the main roster.

Quite liked the look of Rawley, though think it was notable that Burch controlled the bulk of the match. From the sound of things, he's not been wrestling long so he probably needs help structuring things, but his energy and athleticism means he looks pretty carryable for now.

ASCENSION VS. GRAVES/NEVILLE -- This match was just sorta there. There were a few weird timing spots in it. I think The Ascension is as good as they're going to get, which isn't much. Their entrance is awesome but there's just not a lot there aside for a pretty good finisher, Conor's great evil laugh and a nifty "pull down the second rope" distraction they busted out. I usually don't like Corey Graves but I thought he was really good in this. He had a lot of intensity in his punches and moves. Regal and Renee really got over how pissed off Graves was that he lost the titles. I liked his turn -- "THEY'RE GONE!" It puts over the importance of owning gold in NXT and also shows Corey Graves darkside. He was really good in this showing a dark intensity.

TYLER BREEZE VS. CJ PARKER -- Renee before hand rules talking about the reasons why she is one of the few people to talk with Tyler, as they both have blonde ponytails and shop at the same stores. This match was pretty ridiculous. Parker just beat the hell out of Breeze, who did absolutely anything to make sure his face did not get touched. Breeze dragged the apron into the ring. When the ref was distracted, he thumbed the dumb Phish fan in the eye and then used his spinning kick for the win. The announcer here was intolerable. Regal and Renee are SO good together. You can tell how much fun they have with each other. Regal touts being a villain while Renee talks up the benefits of being a good person and somehow does it with a straight face. So glad they're done with this turkeyburger.

EMMA/PAIGE VS. BFFS -- Bwahahahahaha at Renee calling out this shlub announcer as a sexist. Regal starts off by ranting about the "love of his life Doris" before being cut off by Paige's banshee yell. This was a really good little match. Summer Rae is really good at being a terrible person. I loved her taunting of Emma. Good character work from all four girls. Sasha Banks has been really good at making bitchy faces, too.SAMI VS. BO -- Man, this is so good to start. Sami's on fire and Bo is doing a really good job playing like the scared, desperate champ. Sami hits his running boot and gets a win but Bo got his foot on the rope. JBL came out like the insufferable j-o he no doubt is in real life to restart the match. "Referee! Don't make me learn your name!" Bo hits a cheap shot on a disbelieving Sami, who just had the title he won taken from him, to get control. Both guys just tossed bombs. The finisher was a little weird. The corner was missing a turnbuckle and Bo managed to maneuver Sami's head into the exposed corner for the win. The announcers weren't tipped off as to the finish because the ref went to the corner a few times to check on it during the match and finally took it apart at the end. Should have been a cue at some point to sell the finish. It looked a little weird. But still, the Sami Zayn Great Match Run continues. This wasn't in the same ballpark as Cesaro or Jack Swagger but this was really friggin' good. Bo Dallas character rules and he's nailing it.

In some ways I think how good NXT is actually hurts WWE. It has enough eyes on it, especially with Hulu that part of the fanbase is aware of it, but certainly the "WWE UNIVERSE" as Vince thinks about it isn't.

For instance, how the hell do they possibly bring Bo up. Do you bring him up as he is now? That's not going to resonate with the broad fanbase since so much of his heel evolution was him being a straight up babyface for months (if not years since this is a lot of the same old FCW crowd). They can't have him just be who he is now because it lives and breathes on how he was pushed for months before he started to slip over that delusional line. Do they reset the clock then and start him as a straight babyface and wait for the fans to shit on him though a significant and vocal part of the fanbase will then know where things are going?

Maybe have him overplay his Royal Rumble appearance? Talk in that goofy manner about how he got into the Rumble due to being the best young athlete in the company and have him constantly big himself up. He's got an instantly hateable face, plus there will be some crossover from NXT viewers, just have him be so overbearing and I be he'd get heat on week one.

The Ascension entrance always seems out of place to me. And CONOR O'BRIEN is still the weirdest choice ever for a Goth-Demonic wrestler dude. This was a match with 4 dudes that I don't care at all. The turn was  between 2 guys I don't care at all, again.

"HUG IT OUT, HUG IT OUT!" lolz

I'm still watching the shitty edited version of the show, so I was not able to appreciate the whole Tyler Breeze entrance. Booooooo 

Tyler Breeze being treated as a face by the crowd is so much fun.

The editing fucks me again and I couldn't see Emma's amazing entrance. 

This is the first time I actually saw Page, her skin is so white and her hair so black. I'm totally in lesbians with her.

I want a 30-40 minute rematch with both guys just throwing bombs. I want it now.

Regal and Reene are amazing. The other guy is not. At all. And both Reene and Regal were really trying to make him look even worse.

Really starting to like Scott Dawson, everything he does looks precise and crisp. He's probably lacking the cutting edge to be a singles act, but can see him being part of a great tag team on the main roster.Quite liked the look of Rawley, though think it was notable that Burch controlled the bulk of the match. From the sound of things, he's not been wrestling long so he probably needs help structuring things, but his energy and athleticism means he looks pretty carryable for now.

Man, I am all over the Burch wagon right now.  Dude looks super great in the ring.  His own look is maybe a bit off for WWE TV, but the dude can really, really go.

Really starting to like Scott Dawson, everything he does looks precise and crisp. He's probably lacking the cutting edge to be a singles act, but can see him being part of a great tag team on the main roster.Quite liked the look of Rawley, though think it was notable that Burch controlled the bulk of the match. From the sound of things, he's not been wrestling long so he probably needs help structuring things, but his energy and athleticism means he looks pretty carryable for now.

Man, I am all over the Burch wagon right now.  Dude looks super great in the ring.  His own look is maybe a bit off for WWE TV, but the dude can really, really go.

Apparently Arn Anderson is a fan, so that bodes well for him. His ring attire is terrible though, that needs a bit of a sprucing up. I think he's got the same problem as Scott Dawson, where he's great in the ring, but needs something to enhance his presentation. In fact, Dawson and Burch as a team of cross-channel arse-kickers would be great.

I like Dawson quite a bit. He has a nice snap to a lot of his moves; especially his kicks to the temple look good. And Regal does a good job of building him up as well with comparisons to Arn Anderson and remarks about how he's technically sound etc.

I just saw one of those 'Behind the Scenes' clips. Rawley does a pretty good promo there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lwwHHs0eJ4

Skip to 43:11.

Am I wrong in thinking that Bo-Zayn was better than Zayn-Swagger/Zayn-Cesaro?!  Because that's totally how I'm feeling after the match.  For one, the crowd was into this one more, but not in a "This is awesome!" way (which they did chant anyways but...) where they like both guys but rather because they want SO DESPERATELY for Bo to lose that they're hanging on every pinfall and start to forget to be smark-y and just got sucked into the story of the damn match.  I really loved this match, where Zayn-Swagger/Cesaro were both good matches, they felt a bit like exhibitions to me: good wrestler fighting good wrestler for good wrestling.  Dallas-Zayn drew me in more with the story of likable face finally getting his title shot, only to be out-manuvered by heel champion.  Plus, the bumps and the near-falls were just amazing.  This is the first time I've felt like Bo could work this style in WWE, because he kept up with Zayn here.  I feel like Bo could be a really fun heel IC champion, lucking into victories, thinking the crowd is into him.

I still think the way to go with Parker and Breeze is to team them up full-time, and gradually have them come to like each other, much like Kane-Bryan.  I think it's the only hope to get Parker over with the NXT crowd, is have the Ascension beat down Breeze and Parker comes out, seemingly to add to Breeze's humiliation, but instead he saves him with his Moon-Shot palm strike (Which I actually really like!) and the next week the Ascension attacks Parker, and Breeze comes out, hesitates, then goes in and saves Parker.

• Like 1

Resumed my NXT marathoning today starting with episodes from back in October of 2012.  

It's such a fun show.  I think when you compare it to RAW, it's such a drastic difference.  Nice, tight one hour broadcasts getting over a few characters and angles versus sprawling, bloated three hour shows that somehow manage to get over less characters and less angles most of the time because of the lack of focus.

Just saw some guy named Bronson who intrigued me.  A quick Google shows he's on the sidelines due to injury - saw an interview where he said he couldn't legally say how it happened.  Has any other news come out about that?

There really is something to be said for a 1 hour wrestling show. It just feels the perfect length. You can tell a story, you can have good matches, & you don't feel a desperate need to fill time with really uninteresting stuff. I'd sit through TNA Impact when it was an hour long, but when they felt the need to inflate it with an extra hour it just becomes such a chore. And when Raw went from 2 hours to 3 it was a similar problem.

So yeah. 1 hour for wrestling needs to be more of a thing. It suits Nxt perfectly, & I'm sure Impact would benefit with less bloat.

• Like 1

There really is something to be said for a 1 hour wrestling show. It just feels the perfect length. You can tell a story, you can have good matches, & you don't feel a desperate need to fill time with really uninteresting stuff. I'd sit through TNA Impact when it was an hour long, but when they felt the need to inflate it with an extra hour it just becomes such a chore. And when Raw went from 2 hours to 3 it was a similar problem.

So yeah. 1 hour for wrestling needs to be more of a thing. It suits Nxt perfectly, & I'm sure Impact would benefit with less bloat.

One of the things that I notice about the shorter show is that they don't feel the need to beat us over the head with replays over things that happened three minutes earlier.

Also, did Roman Reigns set the record for the quickest time from developmental to the main roster in recent history?  I'm watching the show from Halloween 2012 and they're calling it his NXT debut.  He was on TV about a month later as I recall.  That's pretty crazy.

He spent some time in developmental when it was FCW. He used the name Leakee.

That name always struck me as odd.  Like his ring gear should've been Depends or something.

His real name is Leati Anoa'i - I guess they figured Leakee looked/sounded better. I don't know why, it was a terrible name (his real name makes you use the `a' in the middle more, Leakee just seems like you should pronounce it Leaky). He seemed to be in FCW for longer than a lot of other people to be honest (apart from the dudes who never ever get called up).

I got quite into FCW about six months before it became NXT and I would not have been surprised back then if Reigns had never got the call up. Not that he was bad, but he was the total definition of bland, like a Samoan Mark Jindrak. It's been amazing the reaction that people on this board have had to him as a result of the Shield gimmick. Like he would have been the total "fuck this guy, where's Kassius Ohno" dude if he had come up with his FCW/NXT persona.  I think he's done a real good job (and got a lot better as time has gone on) but it's a real testament to the treatment the Shield has had that people are so high on him, and that he's perceived as a "big man". He's no small guy but is only a bit bigger than Rollins and Ambrose. He'd be dwarfed by the likes of Billy Gunn and lots of other huge wrestlers who never wrestled as "big men". This is a triple threat with the Shield dudes from FCW. Reigns does a couple of power spots in this, but his finish is a running bulldog, and his athleticism seems to be as much of a selling point as his power.

The Shield has been so good for Reigns and Rollins. They have got way further with this than they would have with their earlier characters. Ambrose too, but I can't help feeling he's a little lost in the shuffle right now. He's such a unique presence in modern wrestling, I can only think he'll have a big solo role down the line (well, I hope so).