DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Liked this episode too. However it really underscored the handicap the lack of a brand spilt presents to introducing NXT talent. Not a definitive list but I feel the following talent run against each other too much:

Daniel Bryan vs Sami Zayn
Fandango vs Tyler Breeze
Wyatt Family vs Ascension
Damien Sandow vs Aiden English

You need reasons for them to co-exists or interact?

Bryan and Zayn are '"Old buddies who grew up in the indies together" a great story for a team or a rivalry.

Fandango and Tyler Breeze can become a womanizing (but possibly closet) team. If you want to get really into it, a feud with the PTP where Darren Young becomes a role model for "comingout" could get some press.

Ascension as a new era Acolytes for Heel Kane to fight back against the face turned Wyatt Family.

As previously mentioned - Aiden English as World Champ Sandow's hand picked prodigy would be fantastic.

I also want CJ Parker and Emma as a hippie couple, getting under everones skin with their public displays of affection and terrible, terrible dancing.

Liked this episode too. However it really underscored the handicap the lack of a brand spilt presents to introducing NXT talent. Not a definitive list but I feel the following talent run against each other too much:

Daniel Bryan vs Sami Zayn
Fandango vs Tyler Breeze
Wyatt Family vs Ascension
Damien Sandow vs Aiden English

Fandango and Tyler Breeze can become a womanizing (but possibly closet) team. If you want to get really into it, a feud with the PTP where Darren Young becomes a role model for "comingout" could get some press.

God. Stop.

What day(s) is this on? Any main storylines that I need to know? Main guys?

NXT pops up on Hulu sometimes on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.As of now, here is a list of the main people on the roster.

BO DALLAS -- Bo's the current NXT Champion. He's a long-haired goof. They originally cast him as a Cena-like hero for all. However, everyone crapped on him because he was so terrible. They just tweaked him where he's essentially the same persona, but with a tinge of sanctimony and self-obsession, and he's now this really good heel.SAMI ZAYN -- Sami's formerly known as El Generico. He's a very nice person who is into pop-punk and ska. That's his gimmick. He's a good person. He's really courteous (and a bit flirtations) with Renee Young, who does backstage interviews on both Raw and NXT. Sami recently had a killer series of matches with the We The People group. His match with Cesaro got legit Match Of The Year hype (not as good as the SummerSlam matches but still REALLY good) and his match with Jack Swagger was great as well. He's currently stepping up against Bo Dallas. Bo claims to be Sami's "mentor" and is totally delusional about their relationship.

ADRIAN NEVILLE/COREY GRAVES -- Neville was previously known as Pac. They're a forced tag team that currently have the belts. I kind of hate them both. Neville has a lot of great moves but is sort of a snooze. Corey Graves is a punk rock type who is a total snooze.THE ASCENSION -- Rik VIctor and Conor O'Brien. They have some vague, undefined supernatural gimmick. They have some big power moves but are largely UGH.TYLER BREEZE -- A fashion model character who takes selfie pictures of himself on his cell phone non-stop. He's awesome.

AIDEN ENGLISH -- NXT jobber who just started getting a push. The only real artiste in professional wrestling who sings showtunes on his way to the ring.

CJ PARKER -- Goofy 60s relic hippie.

XAVIER WOODS -- 90s obsessed black dude who is also getting a PhD and has two master's degrees. Sort of a really confusing character.

LEO KRUGER -- South African hunter of men. He wrestles really well as his character.

THE LEGIONAIIRES -- Sylvester LaFort is their manager. He's a scumbag French guy obsessed with MAKING ZE MONEY. His first charge is Scott Dawson, a redneck trailer trash guy. The latest addition to his stable is Alexander Rusev, aka The Bulgarian Beast. Rusev is on his path to being awesome.PAIGE -- Current NXT Diva's champ. She's "The Anti-Diva." She's pale-skinned with dark hair and a bunch of piercings. She's fierce and rough and a total star on the rise.

EMMA -- Goofy Australian who is beyond over with the crowd because of her amazingly dumb dancing. She's also pretty good in the ring, too. Really fun character.

BAILEY -- Nerdy, awe-struck diva who has an offense based around hugging her opponents. Very funny character.

CHARLOTTE -- Ric Flair's hyper-athletic daughter.

SUMMER RAE -- She's Fandango's dance partner. She's a total mean girl.

SASHA BANKS -- Newly turned heel diva noted for her terrible acting.

There's also some NXT alumni you should familiarize yourself with:THE WYATT FAMILY -- These are the bayou looking dudes who showed up on Raw. They're led by Bray Wyatt, who is a backwoods cult leader who has hinted that he is the Messiah and we have entered into the end of days. His flunkies are Luke Harper (the dude with the black beard who is awesome) and Erik Rowan (the dude in the sheep mask who is still pretty raw). They just got the big promotion to Raw a few weeks before SummerSlam. Until then, they just wreaked havoc and chaos throughout the promotion. Bray's one of the best promo guys in wrestling right now. They're my favorite stable.

BIG E. LANGSTON -- He was last scene on the main roster as AJ's best friend/enforcer. He was a face in NXT known for making refs count to 5 after his finish. He has a really interesting, unique charisma and sense of humor.

• Like 4

Like I said in RAW thread I'm just coming back to the whole rasslin' thing but if motherfucker El Generico is on it I'll watch.

So I did.

Generico's match was fun. I love his selling and the little stuff he does, the other dude sucked dicks, well not really but he was vanilla as a motherfucker; apparently he's from the main roster so meh fuck him.

The Aiden English dude was gold, I was legit laughing during his entrance. He needs to shave his beard and just have a glorious mustache though. SPOTLIGHT!

The belt is hideous. Bo Dallas interview was awesome.

Lex Kruger was my favorite dude, second was Xavier because, well afro + mustache is a winning combination. Breeze is over undoubtedly, but it was weird seeing him get the hottest tag when he's a heel, but that's the smark contingent's fault more than anything. 

Shocked at the finish move being a flippy move from the top rope.

Fun stuff. Who's booking/writing this?

The eight-man tag match was a lot of fun. It wasn't exactly good -- Corey Graves and Viktor messed up an over-the-top clothesline. Some decent enough work from everyone else. But this was all about TYLER BREEZE being awesome.

I loved that they delayed his first tag so much. It was this weird inverted heat segment since the only person in the match the crowd gives two turds about is Breeze. I loved him hiding behind the ring post. I loved him begging for mercy to no one in particular. Great stooge.

When they brought that camera in I bet all the guys said, "I guess we are stiffing the crap out of each other today.." 

I like how they seem to be playing up the "years on the indies" that a lot of these new guys are getting. If they compare them to guys like Dragon or Punk, it gives them a "oh I should check these guys out vibe."

Hawkins was actually pretty effective in that match especially after the commercial break.  His bicycle kick was spot on and his weird flipping drop thing looked pretty good.  The frustration leading to the gear slaps was a great way to get Zayn into fired up mode.  NXT also has a weird booking structure because even unpushed main roster guys typically go over the main NXT guys so you could buy the near falls for Hawkins despite his place on (or in this case off) the cards. 

Aiden English knocked it out of the freaking park. Seriously, great promo/song on the way to the ring, backed up by an impressive squash. He's instantly over. Disagree with the call for him to shave his head too, I think it really suits the gimmick.

• Like 1

Aiden English knocked it out of the freaking park. Seriously, great promo/song on the way to the ring, backed up by an impressive squash. He's instantly over. Disagree with the call for him to shave his head too, I think it really suits the gimmick.

If we get the Sami as champion being chased by Aiden and Tyler Breeze angle, I think I can put away watching wrestling, as that aspect of my life will be complete. 

Went to the NXT house show tonight. Nothing much happened except I finally saw Kalisto. I'm surprised he basically kept the Samuray gimmick but changed the name. Even has the same mask. Also Kassius Ohno was back in his fat gear and lost to a guy named Sawyer Fulton with a reverse suplex. He must have really pissed off HHH to lose to that guy. Fulton's gimmick is great. He's like a bald crazy WCW Maestro. Oh and Bo Dallas/Tyler Breeze had a confrontation. Breeze wanted a title match. Bo said he had to give up his phone. Breeze did and Bo said maybe later. Bo is awesome.

How many people showed up for the house show? How's the production quality?

It was pretty much sold out so I'd say about 75-100 people. They had big spot lights so they put those on instead of the main amory lights. Reminded me of the Evolve show that took place earlier in the year in the same building.

• Like 1

If Bo Dallas got moved permanently to the main roster, could they keep his character intact or would they have to start over and give him a push as a bland babyface who the crowds will hate before turning him?

The other problem is editing Smackdown so he stays popular in his core fanbase in Bolivia, Botswana, Bosnia, Cambodia and let's not forget the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela; infact he might just be the guy to solve the Essequibo River dispute with Guyana! Maybe he can bring WWE to Gabon and Dijbouti too. Don't stop bolieving!

If Bo Dallas got moved permanently to the main roster, could they keep his character intact or would they have to start over and give him a push as a bland babyface who the crowds will hate before turning him?

The other problem is editing Smackdown so he stays popular in his core fanbase in Bolivia, Botswana, Bosnia, Cambodia and let's not forget the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela; infact he might just be the guy to solve the Essequibo River dispute with Guyana! Maybe he can bring WWE to Gabon and Dijbouti too. Don't stop bolieving!

You forgot Bogota.

And he needs to be billed from Boston, Jonesboro or Bowling Green.

And Bo Diddley entrance music.

Posted Image