DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

I am thinking the Swagger match is as good as the Cesaro match.   Zayn is like the best at taking heat babyface in a long time.  Sells like crazy and sells "indy" style too, which connects better then the "WWE" style if you ask me.  The reaching out with a pleading look to fans, etc.  Love it. 

I don't know what their long term plans for Scott Dawson are, but he definitely needs another manager.  Is there a disconnect between the characters that is really distracting.  What happened to the tag partner he had a couple of months ago?  The trailer park tough guy thing works for him, but I don't think he'll make it very far without either a gimmick change or a manager that makes more sense.  Is there a girl coming up any time soon who could play the Nidia to his Jamie Noble?  A dysfunctional relationship with a cute, but trashy girlfriend would do a lot to make his character more interesting.

Yep. They haven't added her to the act on TV yet but her name is Alexa:

Posted Image

I don't know what their long term plans for Scott Dawson are, but he definitely needs another manager.  Is there a disconnect between the characters that is really distracting.  What happened to the tag partner he had a couple of months ago?  The trailer park tough guy thing works for him, but I don't think he'll make it very far without either a gimmick change or a manager that makes more sense.  Is there a girl coming up any time soon who could play the Nidia to his Jamie Noble?  A dysfunctional relationship with a cute, but trashy girlfriend would do a lot to make his character more interesting.

Yep. They haven't added her to the act on TV yet but her name is Alexa:

Posted Image

I'm about to charge you guys $3.95 a minute for these posts...either that or contact Dionne Warwick.

The Riley face turn was so well done, awesome reaction and he always remained pretty over after that. Loved him teaming alongside Cena & Orton following that..thought he did really well until his push died. At this point, I'd like a Miz/Riley reunion as a babyface team.

The Riley face turn was so well done, awesome reaction and he always remained pretty over after that. Loved him teaming alongside Cena & Orton following that..thought he did really well until his push died. At this point, I'd like a Miz/Riley reunion as a babyface team.

Miz can call Flair and get him to call Double A to come in and teach Riley how to hit a spinebuster.Instant nostaligia team that can eventually go heel by claiming they do the moves/spots better than Flair/Arn which leads to your HHH face turn to 'help his buddies'. Simples.

I still think Riley is just one great gimmick and an adult hair cut away from being a star. Dude's got raw skills, he just needs to figure out how to put it all together. No one would have given a shit about Steve Borden without the facepaint and neon pink tights.

ENZO AMORE AND BIG CASS VS. SYLVESTER LAFORT'S MONEY MAKING LEGIONAIRRES-- This feud is why I love wrestling. The only one of these dudes who is actively good is Alexander Rusev. But everyone else is at least entertaining. One team has some French scumbag wearing sparkling coats, a Bulgarian Muy Thai dude and a Walker, Texas Ranger henchman. The other team has some big dude with a mullet inexplicably wearing trunks that have the NYC skyline airbrushed onto them and some Jersey trash who can't even match his leopard print top and bottom. Watching wrestling as a fan goes way beyond marking out for Daniel Bryan or Eddie Guerrero or ECW. It's also enjoying the random weirdness that these people would have a reason to know each other at all, let alone not like each other to the point where they want to fight. NXT is a well-written, well-produced wrestling show that has some really great wrestling shlock to it. I can't really remember a show like this.

Regal puts Rusev and Dawson over HUGE. He also buries Enzo and calls him the most annoying human who has ever lived. Cass had a good little trash talk spot -- Dawson tried to kick him, Cass caught the boot and said "HOW YA DOIN'?" like a Sopranos tough before clotheslining him. Rusev is DAMN good. This is the weirdest finish ever. The Legionairres did a Hart Foundation type move but instead of the clothesline, Rusev did his cartwheel kick thing. But the heels didn't leave the ring by 5 -- a "slow developing tandem move" as the announcer put it. This felt like watching a baseball game than ends via a balk-off win. It's a pretty awesome ending, actually, because now I'll pay attention to that in future tag matches.BO DALLAS INTERVIEW -- Bo Dallas has become one of the best heels going today in a very quick amount of time. His heel work is superb. This dude comes off like a total tool. He's wearing a pink dress shirt with black vest over it tucked into white pants with the belt fastened around his waist. He looks like such a doofus. I love him talking about all the support he's getting (which includes food) while people are just flat-out destroying him. He also goes from calling himself Sami's mento, to offering Sami a match, to offering Sami a non-title match, and then humbly saying "Who am I to make that match?" That's a really great way to cowardly duck a challenge. "I believe I can fly!" "Don't stop BO-Lieving!" His commitment to being a total j-o is outstanding and I salute him. 

CJP -- Renee interviews CJ Parker about his beef with Tyler Breeze. This was the best IWCCW promo ever. CJ talks about his "inner self" and stuff like that. Renee rules (duh) because she stares off to the distance when CJ stares and talks about the mythical Phoenix of yore. Parker talks about spreading positivity via photo bombs when Breeze jumps him from behind and then takes a selfie while laying on his downed body. Good, quick segment to continue a really entertaining, dumb feud.

SASHA BANKS VS. PAIGE -- I like Paige's whip into the ropes -- she uses the top rope as a clothesline. Regal hilariously claims Paige is a huge superstar in NXT and on the front page of the daily press. Paige is REALLY good. She's got great mannerisms down and comes off like a vicious, spiteful little thing -- she wants to win and does not care about anything else. But she also has respect, giving Sasha a nod of respect after Sasha nearly beat her with some Eddie/Dean roll-up thing. Paige also does a great job selling that a body scissors is tough to get out of when she's struggling to do so. Paige regained control with a snap Fisherman's Suplex that felt a little Benoit-ish. End sequence saw Sasha nearly steal a pin with a roll-up. Sasha then hit Paige with a cross-body. Paige used the momentum against her and got the pin. Paige tries to console an upset Sasha Banks post-match. Sasha attacks Paige when her backs turned, gives her a bunch of slaps and then a cross-armed neckbreaker thing. Heel turn complete.

This was a decent match. Sasha needs some work. But Paige is really good already. This was solid. It could have been a bit better is Sasha sold getting upset at the ref during a near fall here or something along those lines but then containing her inner heel rage that eventually came out after the match. But nice work. The WWE signing Sara Del Rey to teach the ladies how to wrestle will pay off dividends in a few years when the Bellas and those girls move on to whatever it is ex-divas do.

Afterwards, Sasha thanks Summer Rae for being the inspiration to turn heel.

LEO KRUGER VS. XAVIER WOODS -- Xavier's got a great, fun entrance. Kruger does some Zbysco stall work on the floor until Xavier grabs him by his greasy ponytail. Kruger uses that to his advantage and rakes Leo's left arm against the ropes. He then goes into ADR mode, focusing on that left arm. Xavier finally gets separation, sends Kruger to the floor with a nice spinning headscissors. He then goes for a plancha and completely eats the floor when Kruger dodges. Thank you, Xavier Woods, for doing that. Woods survives the onslaught on his left arm that he doesn't use at all during the match, selling it really well. Xavier ended up using his fighting spirit, stiff kicks and smarts to get back into the match. He ended up winning with his Honor Roll thing at the end -- not the best finisher ever but it works. This was another good match. It felt like a really poor man's ADR vs. Daniel Bryan -- those guys would structure that match the same way, but are obviously 50,000 times better performers. But learning the structure of a good match focused around a body part is the important lesson.NXT, thank you once again.

• Like 3

The ending to the tag match was especially poor since the referee only counted to 3 before calling for the disqualification.  I went and triple checked because it was so strange and it really seemed quick upon first viewing.  That bear hug/kick as fas as being an actual finisher was balls out however and I think The Legionaires should be groomed for NXT tag gold at the earilest opportunity.  I really dug Dawson selling his teeth after a few jabs from Enzo.  Cass may be the least intimidating seven footer ever (and I am familiar with the works of Cottonwood and Morgan) but he seemed okay in limited action in this one.

I'm watching the rest of the show now.

Some big things went down on tonights NXT tapings:

JBL replaced Dusty as NXT GM. HHH came out and said he was giving Dusty some time off.

The Ascension won the tag titles from Graves/Neville. They had a rematch the next week and Graves turned on Neville. Finally Adrian is away from that god awful guy. On the first week, they had a tag team gauntlet match with Enzo/Big Cass, Dawson/Rusev, Tyler Breeze/CJ Parker and the Ascension. The Ascention won ater beating Enzo and Big Cass.

Sami Zayn beat El Local. After the match Bo Dallas came out and said he was going to have a Bo Dallas inventational match. The only stip was Sami Zayn wasn't allowed. I think you know where this leads. Sadly Sami didn't wear the Generico mask. Bo beat Sami in the title match in a good match. Lots of back and forth and kicking out of finishers.

Lots of Divas action. Summer Rae and Sasha Banks are called the BFF's. They started off at week one with Sasha beating Bayley. They challenge anyone which leads to Emma comming out. This leads to week two with Emma and her mystery partner Santino beating Fandango/Summer Rae in a awesome match. Lots of comedy but the crowd was going nuts for it. Week three has Summer/Sasha at ringside during one of the worst matches of the year in Charlotte vs Santana Garrett. Poor Santana but it was awful. I'm not lying in saying almost every move was botched including the finish. I"ll be shocked if they air it. They call out Paige which leads to a Paige/Emma vs BFF's match won by Summer.

Other matches include Cesaro/Kruger(really good) Enzo/Big Cass vs Rusev/Dawson in what looks like the blow off match. RVD faced Aiden English who's really over. Also CJ Parker beat Tyler Breeze and broke his nose in the process. Good night of wrestling although it was 4 hours long. Next show has Del Rio and Christian.

Kassius Ohno returned and got beat by Luke Harper. He's in better shape than the last time he was on TV.

Pat Patterson and So cal Val were at the show. Val was in the crowd.

• Like 1

Is Charlotte terrible?

So far she's been pretty good. She's really athletic. She has a gymnastics background so they're trying to incorporate that into her moveset and it can come across a bit weird. She also throws in some of her dad's trademark spots -- chops, the flip out of the corner, getting caught on the top rope (but she uses this on offense). She's also really attractive and has a lot of charisma. She's not really polished and is far behind Paige, Emma and Summer Rae right now in terms of the NXT ladies. But she's ridiculously talented and has a near frightening amount of potential. If everything clicks with her, then she's going to be a star. It will take a while, though.

Liked Rusev since I saw him in the FCW days...reminds me of Scott Norton.

Not noted in the taping comments: JBL screwed Zayn out of the title. Zayn pinned Bo to seemingly win the belt, but JBL ordered a restart because the ref missed Bo's foot on the ropes. Bo went on to Cheat To Win due to an exposed turnbuckle(callback to his title win over Big E).

Going back to Alex Riley for a minute...

I loved his "Varsity Villain" gimmick. I think it had some legs (maybe a year or two) of him being some dude who is still stuck in high school/college despite the fact he's pushing 30. Almost an Al Bundy "Well I scored 7 touchdowns..." gimmick. Then you could eventually turn him face at some point where he realizes the error of his ways and admits it is time to "grow up and be a man, not a kid." My biggest knock on Riley is that his in ring work is super generic. From the TKO finisher on down everything he did just seemed so... second rate. Like he was trying to mimic a lot of different guys by taking their moves and spots, but he couldn't pull it off. But dude does has charisma and is above average on the mic. Hopefully he gets another shot to do something.