DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Getting right into it.

BAILEY/CHARLOTTE vs. ALICIA FOXX/AKSANA

This was a decent little match. It pitted Aksana and Alicia's experience and athleticism (Alex Riley compared Alicia to Jackie Joyner Kersey) against Bailey and Charlotte's newcomer status. The heels exploited Bailey's awestruck nature against her, luring her into a devious trap by acting like they wanted to hug her. The heels beat up on Bailey for a bit -- nothing too interesting, save for a nice Northern Lights from Alicia. Charlotte did a great job as a second, especially during the heat segment on Bailey. Bailey countered with a "hug plex" of her own into a hot tag to Charlotte. Charlotte's really athletic. She busted out the corner flip from her father AND also got caught going to the top rope. However, her tumbling background makes her seemingly impervious to her father's one, true weakness of going to the air. Bailey tagged in w/o Charlotte's knowledge, causing some friction. End got awkward because the heels went to work over Bailey some more. Alicia kicked Aksana and Bailey rolled her up for the flash pin.

Alex Riley compares Alicia to Jackie Joyner Kersey right at her intro. That's really great. Bailey is so adorable as her awestruck self. Charlotte does a great second. Bailey HUG PLUS.

LeFort, Scott Dawson and Rusev were in the back hanging out. Dawson is a pretty great little dumbass stooge. Rusev broke a board over his knee that said "MASON" on it while he grunted. This is the best stable in pro wrestling right now. It's a French moneygrubbing scumbag, some redneck idiot and a Bulgarian tae-kwon-do afficianado. We live in a post-racial world. LeFort also exclaims that, upon victory, he will take the money he makes and bring his charges to SIZLLER! "Sizzler? MY FAVORITE!" This is the best promo ever.

Rik Victor vs. Cory Graves. Rik Victor's Twitter handle is "RikVictor69" which makes perfect sense, considering his fading hairline/mullet/middle-relief-pitcher facial hair trifecta. Cory Graves is the epitome of the jock who discovered hardcore in college and is the worst. Fun little start. Victor dangles the stolen tag title like a total troll. Graves whips his denim sleeveless jacket in Victor's face to gain heated advantage.  Match revolves around Victor attacking Cory's rips that were busted up from a diabolical attack by The Ascension just last week. Victor dumped Cory rib-first onto the top rope that sent Graves to the floor as a transition to commercial. VIctor did a nice dickish spot by dropping a knee across Graves' ribs and then rubbing his leg across it. Victor slithered around like a snake and taunted Graves into slapping at him. Victor dodged and legitimately went "HAHAHAHAHAHA" just like that. Cory transitions with a lot of punches. The end sequence comes when Conor O'Brien hopped onto the apron to interfere. Adrian Neville came into the ring and bumped him off before launching over the ropes onto him. Victor gained advantage and was about to hit some move off his shoulders when Graves rolled him up.The story itself was a simple "jerk heel targets body part he injured before match" thing. It was structured well But essentially 95% of this match was stomps to the ribs or punches from Cory Graves. Both dudes are also really indie-level hokey, with Victor's evil laugh and Graves attempt at selling rib damage. So this match was really boring. Take the same structure, place it with some charismatic wrestlers, throw in more than just one or two "wow" spots and this would be really good.Summer continues her corruption of Sasha in the locker room. Summer is such a great egotist. The divas division will always have a mean girl (it's just the archtype) and she does it way, way, way better than the Bellas do.Paige gets interviewed by Renee and explains what being an anti-diva means. "I'm not here to be a cover girl. I'm here to cover girls." Good, quick tough promo.LaFort does his intro of Rusev -- he's the greatest manager ECWA never had. Rusev neatly rolls up his pleather entrance gear before placing it on the mat to do some weird stomps and breaking his SECOND wooden board of the night. The ring announcer does a great "Who the f is this dude?" face to sell it.

Rusev vs. Mason Ryan in a big man battle. Rusev has a LOT of potential. Dude can move and is huge. Pretty average match that ends when LaFort and Dawson run interference, letting him end up with a Camel Clutch.Sami Zayn vs. Jack Swagger -- This match just feels like it's going to be good right from the start. Sami just has "it" -- and in a pure babyface manner. I don't see a way he could EVER be heel. He totally has that Sting/Steamboat vibe. Opening sequence sees Sami get the advantage over Jack by using his quickness. The crowd is REALLY into him. There's a great "no spot" -- Sami got Jack to the floor, who was getting advice from Zeb. Sami went like he was going to go for one of his dives but instead jumped onto the apron. He then did some springboard flip thing back into the ring and made a "not yet" taunt to Jack as the crowd went nuts and did the Ole chant. The guy is a STAR. Jack got control after Zeb distracted Sami on the floor. Jack really brought the mean and laid it in hard to Sami, who did a 720 flip off of a short clothesline. Sami spends the rest of the match going for bombs -- his crazy flip dive to the floor, an insane powerbomb from the top, etc. -- while Jack holds on by using his power moves and trying to get his Patriot Lock on. Bo Dallas comes in to "cheer" Sami on. The brief distraction gives Swagger the opportunity to hook The Patriot Lock on a second time for a the tap-out win.The last match was AWESOME. Sami knows how to time his spots magically, has the right glances to get the crowd into him, sells, etc. This was just a great showcase on his end with Jack Swagger bringing it like he did ala ECW. Sami's one of the Top 5 guys in the company right now. This was on par with anything else this year. It wasn't as good as the two SummerSlam epics. The Cesaro match was better because the 2-out-of-3 falls allowed for a lot more rad stuff (chinlock tap out) but this was just an absolutely heated one on one battle.I love this show so much. Never change, NXT.

• Like 1

I reviewed this week's NXT here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/wwe-nxt-952013-results-and-review.html

Overall thoughts: There were two finishes that I didn't really get. However, Rusev/Ryan was good as was the main event. So basically, it had some good moments but some not so good moments as well. I think most people would like it though.

Some shots from the show:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I never watched ROH before to see El Generico for comparison, but God Damn is Sami Zayn just awesome. He's great at everything. He has the charisma and the talent and is big enough to be credible against bigger guys like Jack Swagger, but small enough to still be able to garner sympathy as the underdog. I'd say I can't wait until he gets called up to the main roster, but there's no way he gets 10-20 minute matches on RAW or SD like he gets on NXT. Selfishly I want him to stay to keep getting these great matches, but he certainly does deserve the call up.

Sami Zayn would be absolutely perfect to be the first backstage guy to stand up to Ryback.

This must be like the tenth time this has been said. It is a great idea though. I think Sami might have been called up. Kevin Steen tweeted something to that effect this morning...

Sami Zayn would be absolutely perfect to be the first backstage guy to stand up to Ryback.

This must be like the tenth time this has been said. It is a great idea though. I think Sami might have been called up. Kevin Steen tweeted something to that effect this morning...

He is making is on the road WWE debut tonight in Montreal

Alexander Rusev is AMAZING. He seems like he was born to be a crazy pro wrestling monster. His spinning heel kick ruled, great headbutts, and his mannerisms are fantastic. I was getting a serious Umaga vibe. Dude is money.

I like Sylvester LeFort (and Dawson) but then I thought both Armando Estrada and Abraham Washington should have been around in the WWE as managers for a long time (as many have said on this board, Cena always needed a never ending stream of villains sent at him from a devious manager type). I guess Washington was a good fit with the PTPs till he got himself fired. Can't see LeFort working in WWE as the only manager they seem keen on is Heyman (and Vickie a while back).

I like Sylvester LeFort (and Dawson) but then I thought both Armando Estrada and Abraham Washington should have been around in the WWE as managers for a long time (as many have said on this board, Cena always needed a never ending stream of villains sent at him from a devious manager type). I guess Washington was a good fit with the PTPs till he got himself fired. Can't see LeFort working in WWE as the only manager they seem keen on is Heyman (and Vickie a while back).

Heel authority figures are the new devious managers, so can you see him being put in that role?

Heel authority figures are the new devious managers, so can you see him being put in that role?

I see him as a manager of a tag team that never ever wins on Smackdown, then he goes back to developmental for another six years. Probably managing whoever the current Aaron "The Idol" Stevens is. Meanwhile Conor O'Brien pins Daniel Bryan clean for the WWE Championship, ends the Streak, gets a DUI and ends up being repacked intentionally as a raver from the future, only this time with Santino as his partner.

Alexander Rusev is AMAZING. He seems like he was born to be a crazy pro wrestling monster. His spinning heel kick ruled, great headbutts, and his mannerisms are fantastic. I was getting a serious Umaga vibe. Dude is money..

Came here to post pretty much the same thing.I loved the wheel kick and when he cranked that Camel Clutch... Awesome stuff.

Alexander Rusev is AMAZING. He seems like he was born to be a crazy pro wrestling monster. His spinning heel kick ruled, great headbutts, and his mannerisms are fantastic. I was getting a serious Umaga vibe. Dude is money..

Came here to post pretty much the same thing.I loved the wheel kick and when he cranked that Camel Clutch... Awesome stuff.

I just watched some FCW stuff of his and he's come on a lot since then. This might explain a lot (he went to Rikishi's school)

http://youtu.be/PzyMc16x1OU

Thought I'd posted about this show last night.

-Opening match was fine for a match with Aksana in it.  Bayley's hug-plex was amazing and should be a signature spot for her.  Also, I've kept quiet about this, for fear of being branded creepy, but I have to...Bayley's ass!

-Graves-Victor was really dull.  Just no life to it whatsoever.

-I LOVED Russev-Ryan.  It felt like the crowd was super into it.  Russev as part of Lefort's Legion ("We're going to Sizzler!") is perfect.  I love Russev's spinning heel kick.  Also, the worry I have about Lefort making it to the big roster is he is absolutely ripped and is gonna show up a number of guys in the physique department, kinda like when Armando Alejandro Estrada started wrestling and was just in ridonculous shape!

-Zayn-Swagger was good, then got great in the final stretch.

Also have to add that Alex Riley is pretty weak on commentary, especially when juxtaposed with Regal, or even Maddox.  Everything he talks about is in relation to him: "She was there when I was in my last year at NXT." "He reminds me of when I was a University athlete." "That reminds me of when I teamed with the Miz." "I know what that's like from when I managed the Miz."  It was like having goddamn Larry Zbyszko out there, except a Zbyszko who doesn't say "human game of chess" and never actually accomplished anything.

Zbyszko at least put himself over. Riley can't even do that. He's okay at giving impact to the moves but that's about it. We need a 'Riley reminisces about his times with da Miz' counter in the bottom right of the screen.

Zbyszko at least put himself over. Riley can't even do that. He's okay at giving impact to the moves but that's about it. We need a 'Riley reminisces about his times with da Miz' counter in the bottom right of the screen.

You know, it's not either really set the world on fire since the split, I wonder why they don't just go "Eh, this worked once, let's put them back together." and then we won't have to listen to Riley reminisce about the good old days anymore. 

I watched the most recent show on Hulu, and I have to say that's an experience I don't care to repeat.  The show was fine, but the fucking ad breaks are interminable.

Are they worse than Impact? (I honestly don't know as I watch NXT on Sportsnet 360 in Canada).  Impact's ads are interminable.  Just complete garbage.  Especially this format: 'Wrestler A is in the ring doing a promo, Wrestler B comes out and confronts him (There's sometimes a C and D in there, too), Authority Figure #1 comes out and books them in a match, match starts, cut to commercial.'  Why not cut during the jibber-jabber and come back when the fighting starts?!?  Or this format: "Wrestler A is dominating Wrestler B in the ring, we've got to go to a commerical, long commercial break, wrestler A is still dominating wrestler B for 3-4 seconds, we'll be right back, more commercials, Wrestler B is in firm control.'  That little teaser is the absolute worst.  It would be like sitting down to eat and the server brings out your food and lets you smell it, then takes it into the back for a few more minutes before you can actually eat.  I think 'Impact' is basically unwatchable without a DVR (With a DVR, it's still mostly unwatchable, but at least you don't sit through ad breaks so long you honestly forget what you were watching).

You know, it's not either really set the world on fire since the split, I wonder why they don't just go "Eh, this worked once, let's put them back together." and then we won't have to listen to Riley reminisce about the good old days anymore. 

I heard Regal on a '12 NXT show go "Alex Riley always gets these amazing reactions and I'm not quite sure why."

It's the first 20 seconds of his music. B. Brian Blair could get a huge pop with that.

• Like 1

I heard Regal on a '12 NXT show go "Alex Riley always gets these amazing reactions and I'm not quite sure why."

It's the first 20 seconds of his music. B. Brian Blair could get a huge pop with that.

I think B. Brian Blair's dropkick was better than anything A-Ry has ever done.

I just watched some FCW stuff of his and he's come on a lot since then. This might explain a lot (he went to Rikishi's school)

http://youtu.be/PzyMc16x1OU

Alexander Rusev seems to me like he should be a playable character on Street Fighter.

• Like 1

I think B. Brian Blair's dropkick was better than anything A-Ry has ever done.

That being said, Riley's face turn was pretty great

• Like 1