DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Regal is a highlight of the show on commentary(and in the ring):

-Refers to Amore as "DDP's lovechild".

-Regularly bugs Tony Dawson for not knowing basic holds("If you need me to explain that to you, you shouldn't be sitting here").

-Had a great line a week or two ago about putting Big E and Heyman's haircuts together to get one full head of hair.

• Like 1

Sami Callahan debuted for NXT in Tampa last night. 

This is the second time i've missed someone I wanted to see for FCW/NXT make their debut... The first one being Daniel Bryan. 1st world wrestling problems...

Has there been an word about them using the "Tampa Arena" more? I thought they were all but done with that place. I'm moving even closer to their in the next few weeks and would love to see more NXT live.

Well that's good to know. I don't know why I assumed they wouldn't use it anymore. The FCW logo is still up, but their travel trailer is not longer there. 

Looks like i'll be able to see some shows now! Tampa has been pretty awesome with local shows lately. 

Tyler Breeze and CJ Parker seem like they are destined to be a comedic tag team.  They both seem like pretty shallow characters that could get boring pretty fast, but put them together in an odd couple tag team the characters could have longer lives.

Summer plays her part ridiculously well.  I swear her facial expressions all seem to say, "HELL NO, I would never have sex with you."  Her line about Summerslam being named after her was great, hopefully this angle leads to a Sascha push.  I can't have too much Sascha on my TV, I'd like to see her go full blown heel and kick some ass. 

I don't know what their long term plans for Scott Dawson are, but he definitely needs another manager.  Is there a disconnect between the characters that is really distracting.  What happened to the tag partner he had a couple of months ago?  The trailer park tough guy thing works for him, but I don't think he'll make it very far without either a gimmick change or a manager that makes more sense.  Is there a girl coming up any time soon who could play the Nidia to his Jamie Noble?  A dysfunctional relationship with a cute, but trashy girlfriend would do a lot to make his character more interesting.

Sami Zayn as the endearing every man is almost impossible not to like.  Either Renee Young is a really good actress or she was legit blushing when when Sami complimented her.  Bo is a tool, and it's finally on purpose.  I don't know what it is, but between his hair, his goofy smile, and his crazy eyes he is about as naturally hateable as anyone I can remember.  The fact that they tried to push him as a face for so long is retarded.  Jack Swagger's body looks like it was made up of parts of other people's bodies. 

Renee Young wearing a 2pac t-shirt is all I need in a woman.  It's almost like she is trying out to be my future baby's mama.

Conor O'Brien is clueless in there, he just doesn't tie anything together.  Is there any reason whatsoever that O'brien and Rick Victor's finisher seems to be a set up for a catastrophic knee injury?  I meant to mention this last week, but someone is going to tear an ACL.  Neville and Graves are the epitome of thrown together with no thought tag teams.  They just don't seem like two people who would ever hang out with each other. 

I did a lot of nitpicking this week, but this is still my favorite wrestling show right now.

• Like 1

Summer plays her part ridiculously well. I swear her facial expressions all seem to say, "HELL NO, I would never have sex with you." Her line about Summerslam being named after her was great, hopefully this angle leads to a Sascha push. I can't have too much Sascha on my TV, I'd like to see her go full blown heel and kick some ass.

That description of Summer Rae is so accurate. I think they need to turn Sascha heel, the Divas division is pretty face heavy with Paige, Emma, Bayley and Charlotte all getting good TV time, even if poor Bayley never seems to win a match.

Now that NXT is on the free section of Hulu, I'm wondering where a new viewer should start.  Any suggestions for a good jumping on point episode?

I decided to just start at the beginning of 2013.

I was going to start at the beginning but figured it was just too much and most of the guys on there have moved on to bigger and better or obscurity.  The stuff they have for season 6 starts at the end of last year so I figured that would be a good starting point.  So far I think I'm going to join those saying this is probably the best show on tv as far as in-ring quality goes.

I really hope they run with the Sami/Renee flirtation angle a bit more. They have a fun time listening to pop-punk, ska and watching John Hughes movies. At the same time, I hope they make someone more of a 90s hipster (Aiden English) into the indie stuff at the moment -- more "mature" music like Tortoise, Stereolab, etc. who is also ithe drummer n a shitty Sugar rip-off band, is a philosophy major, has a car (not a nice one, but still) and access to his parents summer house in Ocean City, NJ. And right when it looks like Sami and Renee are about to hook up, Aiden English starts talking her up at a party, gives her a mix CD the next day and comps her at the 21-over club downtown to see his band. And then they start dating but whenever things are dicey with their relationship and she needs a "real friend" she turns back to Sami, who grows more and more frustrated with the whole ordeal.If they run this angle, they'll essentially turn my freshman year of college into a NXT storyline.If they want to make it a good storyline, Aiden English will turn heel and will cheat on Renee or something and Sami will fight for her honor and she'll realize she made a mistake.If they want to base it off of reality, Sami will drink more and more malt liquor and play a lot of video games. He'll beat himself over the whole thing. Then he'll go on a date with a friend of a friend from back home (Saturyne from Chikara?) who is awesome and amazing -- they have a great time walking around Verona Lake and getting ice cream -- and it will end with a lovely kiss. Geography will make this relationship unsustainable but it will make Sami realize he is being used. So what he ends up doing is stealing all of Renee's CDs and giving them to his friends and cowardly ducking her phone calls for the next two years as she tries to confront him on the issue.

• Like 1

-Parker-Breeze was pretty perfect.  Parker's gimmick was a lot less annoying this week and a lot funnier.  Breeze is so good in this role.

-Not sure I've seen anyone in a long time work a crowd as well as Amore/Cass did this week.  He just had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand...it was really amazing.  Happy to see Dawson get a win, even happier to see Lefort aligning with Russev.  That should be a fun stable and feud.  I'm not sure I've ever seen Cass wrestle...is he any good?

-Emma-Summer was really good.  I'm not sure the Emma gimmick can translate to WWE TV, but damn if I don't want to see them try.  It's just legimately a fun gimmick: the music, the dancing, the way she uses her name in everything ("Dance Dance Emmalotion", "Emmacrats"), the bubbles, and the entrance she almost always struggles with.

-Zayn-Bo was fun.  Love the "No, they're chanting Boooooo!"

-Neville-O'Brian was kind of a mess from the way it went into commercials with one guy dominating the other, only to come back with it going the other way and the obviously missed kick-out that they tried to edit around that befuddled the announcer to the clean ending with Rick Victor nowhere to be found to help out.  Really NOT looking forward to Graves/Neville-Ascension.  Not at all.

I'd just like everyone to know that Conor O'Brian has been in developmental off and on for 8 years. That should tell everyone everything they need to know about him.

I still expect to see him on the main roster at some point.  He's too big, looks too good, and has too much presence to not be on TV at some point.  He can't really wrestle or talk, but WWE'll find a spot for him.

I actually thought that Sami looked like Seth Rogen's little brother.I want to see CJ Parker and Emma hook up to face off against Fandango and Summer. The bubbles, the dreadlocks, the dancing, the bodypaint.... So much stuff to piss of the 2 perfectionists.Agree with the calls that Graves/Neville and Dawson/LeFort feel forced. I could buy Graves and Dawson as a team though.

Finally, this is the best hour of wrestling on TV right now. Everyone his a clear gimmick or developed character and the unique looks and styles help make each match seem fresh, depite being done in a mostly WWE style.

Agree with the calls that Graves/Neville and Dawson/LeFort feel forced. I could buy Graves and Dawson as a team though.

I definitely agree that Graves/Neville feels forced, hopefully when Neville's partner gets back from injury we'll get an angle about that.  The thing with Dawson and LeFort is that up until now they've really never gotten to do much shtick together; usually it's just LeFort on the mic before Dawson's intro.  But that skit with the two of them and Enzo/Big Cass was awesome and actually gave some insight into their business partnership.  Hopefully LeFort's Legionnaires get some more backstage skits. 

Agree with the calls that Graves/Neville and Dawson/LeFort feel forced. I could buy Graves and Dawson as a team though.

I definitely agree that Graves/Neville feels forced, hopefully when Neville's partner gets back from injury we'll get an angle about that.  The thing with Dawson and LeFort is that up until now they've really never gotten to do much shtick together; usually it's just LeFort on the mic before Dawson's intro.  But that skit with the two of them and Enzo/Big Cass was awesome and actually gave some insight into their business partnership.  Hopefully LeFort's Legionnaires get some more backstage skits. 

Oliver Grey would be so much more interesting as a new brainwashed member of the Wyatt's than his current gimmick.

Agree with the calls that Dawson/LeFort feel forced.

Finally, this is the best hour of wrestling on TV right now. Everyone his a clear gimmick or developed character and the unique looks and styles help make each match seem fresh, depite being done in a mostly WWE style.

Did Dawson's partner get released? i liked NXTs version or the old school sourthern style tag team. LaFort didnt seem out of place untill Dawson went singles.

Seems like Sasha is gonna turn heel soon which will be good for her.

I cant wait for Swagger vs Zayn It wont be on the level of Zayn's matches with Ceasaro but atleast we get a fresh match out of Swagger.

I think they'll officially turn Bo heel and he'll turn on Zayn, I dont care for Bo but zayn could carry him to a reall good match that Bo would get most the credit for.