DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Rovert, thanks for sharing your NXT knowledge. 

I hope we don't get a mass call-up because I don't see spots for most of the people they likely would call up. Neville's work is fine, but I don't see him succeeding unless they bring him up as part of a tag team and bring him along slowly. Sasha Banks coming up will get lost in the shuffle - they really need to bring her and Charlotte up together and put Summer Rae back together with them to give them focus, but I doubt that will happen. 

Zayn is ready to go. Charismatic, sympathetic, good work in the ring...I get the feeling that he's a guy that will stay over no matter how they book him. 

Rovert, thanks for sharing your NXT knowledge. 

I hope we don't get a mass call-up because I don't see spots for most of the people they likely would call up. Neville's work is fine, but I don't see him succeeding unless they bring him up as part of a tag team and bring him along slowly. Sasha Banks coming up will get lost in the shuffle - they really need to bring her and Charlotte up together and put Summer Rae back together with them to give them focus, but I doubt that will happen. 

Zayn is ready to go. Charismatic, sympathetic, good work in the ring...I get the feeling that he's a guy that will stay over no matter how they book him.

There's a lot of talent coming up behind the people I've mentioned and Neville & Zayn were promised a call up in September six months ago. NXT Takeover II is the last NXT Special of 2014 too.

The reality for women is what it is Paige and Emma get 12 minutes on NXT and 2 minutes on Smackdown. The female WWE roster is at a bit of a bottleneck as so many women dating within the company and Total Divas has extended the typical Diva life cycle greatly. According to an interview with Sara Amato last week they have 18 women under contract. They also seem to be in the process of signing 4 more women. Carmella "The Queen of Staten Island" (pictured below) is READY to be put on NXT TV from all the reviews of Live Events and Carmella "The Queen of Staten Island" wrestled Nattie at the last TV tapings in a dark match. Veronica Sky if she stops being injured and Veronica Lane as a wrestler will likely behind her. There's a major capacity issue and I would hate to be managing it.

923714_1447931272147663_1111919013_n.jpg

On the men's side I disagree about the lack of spots. A lot of talent has left or are leaving - Jericho, RVD, Batista, Del Rio etc and there's a lot of stale match ups on TV. Let's say Cesaro wins the the US title off Sheamus at Night of Champions and begins a feud with Zayn. There's a big European tour in November and WWE will simply need bodies too.

Unless you made NXT 2 hours it would be really hard/unfair to everyone else under contract if you had Devitt, Kenta, Steen, Zayn and Neville on the same TV show. As much as I want every combination of those 5 and Tyson Kidd it is time to kick Zayn and Neville out of the nest.

Who is the top babyface after Neville and Zayn go? Enzo? I think a babyface Breeze could work. I agree that some of the NXT guys gotta go. They need some new blood to debut quickly. Three Zayn and Kidd matches on one taping is ridiculous.

Also Veronica Sky is a way better name than Kendall Sky.

Who is the top babyface after Neville and Zayn go? Enzo? I think a babyface Breeze could work. I agree that some of the NXT guys gotta go. They need some new blood to debut quickly. Three Zayn and Kidd matches on one taping is ridiculous.

Neville and/or Zayn don't have to disappear immediately. Also as you probably know:

NXT Takeover II is September 11th

NXT TV Taping is September 12th

Night of Champions is September 21st and you have Raw the next night.

In this month of flux he REALLY sucks to be perennial TV taping dark match Wrestler Solomon Crowe. He chipped a bone in his tibia this weekend.

Who is the top babyface after Neville and Zayn go? Enzo?

Steen, Devitt, and KENTA could all be thrust into the spot immediately based on the hype they'll be riding in with. I don't think they see Enzo as a top-ish guy right now. 

My plan is to get up to date, then catch the Supershows and all the Cesaro/Zayn stuff before Takeover 2.

Throw Zayn vs Neville, Regal vs Ohno, and Regal vs Cesaro on your must-watch list. They represent high-water marks for NXT. 

Steen, Devitt, and KENTA could all be thrust into the spot immediately based on the hype they'll be riding in with.

On Kenta specifically WWE Network launches in Japan October 1st. I'd imagine Kenta will play a key role in pushing it there so it would make sense to debut him on NXT ASAP.

The WWE Network launches in the UK & Ireland October 1st but Devitt is far less of a deal and they have stars in that market already.

Finally caught the Lynch vs Charlotte match from a few weeks ago and it was really good. I would have liked to see Becky sell a little more in her comeback with the clotheslines and maybe one more hope spot, but in general she did great working from beneath and garnering sympathy and Charlotte filled the time with legwork really well for someone with her level of experience. Great job by Becky and Del Ray with Charlotte showing so much promise.

Rovert, you are absolutely right that NXT's growing roster seems a bit too full for just a one-hour show, and I think the one-hour length adds charm to the whole thing. 

I think more than ever, WWE needs to emphasize the tag division and put many of those NXT graduates in tag teams on the main show. Neville still seems awkward in portraying his fighting champion character. I don't see how he'll connect with WWE fans when he struggles to connect with the more open-to-all-kinds NXT crowd. As I said, I think a tag team would be a good place for him to start on the main roster. Sticking he and Tyson Kidd together would do wonders for him, for example, just as Callisto coming up with Hunico is the perfect way to ease the former in without leaving him in total limbo. 

You are also right that the women getting two minutes on RAW is the norm, but it's frustrating. They need original programming on the Network, so a one-hour women's show seems like the obvious solution to that issue. 

There's an audience for Total Divas. I think we're seeing that more and more. I think there could be a network only show that 1/2-2/3 focuses on those characters but maybe gives some of the stronger working females a longish match, one a week, and it might work as both a draw for the network and a way to transition some of that audience into being broader fans.

With NXT and Total Divas, they really need a Cruiserweight type show and a Women's show.

Getting a call-up also doesn't mean they're gone from NXT. Rollins and Big E were NXT champs after being called up, and Bo came back a few times afterwards. Adam Rose was even in the tag tournament. Depth wise, they should be fine.

I've been trying to catch up with NXT, right now I'm right around the beginning of the NXT Women's Championship tournament, which has nothing to do with my observation...

Looking at the Rosebud's, is the Roman legion dude supposed to be a reference to Sal Bellomo, or is it just coincidence? Dude even has the hair and beard!

Caught up to last week's show. The Vaudevillians are my favorite thing in wrestling. Aiden's gold right now because he basically had two gimmicks that will get him onto the roster.

I don't know about Becky's crazy daffney scream though. I think she was better off riverdancing. 

• Like 1

That promo was so fun. Just based on the idea that a good gimmick is an exaggeration of one's personality, then Enzo is gold. I am a big mark for him and Cass (who has better ring potential but the gimmick fits less well) but I see him as a great manager, if he can subsume his ego to take a non-wrestling role. I hope he is pulling Michael P. S. Hayes' coat for feud advice. 

I dig the Vaudevillians too but that gimmick has less potential for the big stage. My daughter was legit bummed that they eliminated Enzo & BC from the tag tourney, and now hates on them. She calls them the "baby music team" now.

kids say the carniest things,

RAF

p.s. - my kid also took a bad bump off her bike, color and everything, and when I asked if she was OK she told me thru gritted teeth that she's not S.A.W.F.T. If she had given me the office I would have plotzed (but I haven't smartened her up yet).

• Like 5

That promo was so fun. Just based on the idea that a good gimmick is an exaggeration of one's personality, then Enzo is gold. I am a big mark for him and Cass (who has better ring potential but the gimmick fits less well) but I see him as a great manager, if he can subsume his ego to take a non-wrestling role. I hope he is pulling Michael P. S. Hayes' coat for feud advice. 

I dig the Vaudevillians too but that gimmick has less potential for the big stage. My daughter was legit bummed that they eliminated Enzo & BC from the tag tourney, and now hates on them. She calls them the "baby music team" now.

kids say the carniest things,

RAF

p.s. - my kid also took a bad bump off her bike, color and everything, and when I asked if she was OK she told me thru gritted teeth that she's now S.A.W.F.T. If she had given me the office I would have plotzed (but I haven't smartened her up yet).

BABY MUSIC TEAM needs to be the name of the group that goes up against Bullet Club.

• Like 1