DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Tyson Kidd needs a Blue Blazer mask. This will not be the last time I say that. 

Bayley/Banks was awesome. Looking forward to the eventual BFF split. I think that The Boss could get over as a face, and there's something weird about Lady Naitch wearing a shirt that says 'you can't sit with us.'

Camacho. Hrm.

Smiling white bread Natalya is awful. You're supposed to be a Hart. Even when the Harts were smiling happy clappy fan favorites they were still smug dicks about how good they were in the ring.

How much cocaine was Brody trying to keep tucked back during his promo? Sniff. Sniff. Sniff. Yeesh. 

And how can he beat Neville when it's clear that a tanning bed already pinned him for like a 700 count? 

Mojo is going to get there if they have the patience for him. Pairing him with Sami for a while would do him a world of good.

Neville needs a Lita to compliment his awesome early 90's GI Joe boots.He looks like Ninja Force Zartan and I approve.

Did Brodus tell a fan to shut the fuck up when he was introduced? From 'should I get him' to STFO? Is Clay our new Steiner or am I just really getting my hopes up? Someone ask him to do a math equation. 

Brodus needs to learn how to tell a story better. That turnbuckle splash should have been a huge moment. He should have stalked around the ring, eyed the thing...let the audience see him decide to do it, pull a reaction out of them. Instead he just sort of wanders around from spot to spot.

NXT just does things the right way. Few things worth noting

1. I love the old school "interviews from the locker room while someone is in the ring waiting for their opponent" cut-aways that they did in the early part of the Bayley/Sasha banks match.

2. LOL @ Whole world in his hands singing while Bo was in the ring

3. Love them showing Brodus/Neville warming up before their match. Nice touch

4. Is Tyson Kidd being put on restricted minutes due to the injury?

5. Funny that Alexis Bliss has been on the WWE Website for MONTHS and she is just showing face now. Anyone know anything about her?

6. I want to see Bayley's titties. She hides them like Alicia Fox hides hers. Bayleys backside seems to have shrunk some. But in all seriousness, he moveset is starting to open up finally. No brainer, she should do a bearHUG. Duh........

7. Oliver Grey is too good of a talent to get disrespected by Mojo Rawley.

8. Leon Rose, still not a fan of that whole gimmick. But I will say, it was funny how Devin Taylor started dancing with Rose's crew when she was supposed to be interviewing Camacho.

9. Is Camacho no longer "Mexican?" No accent anymore.

10. Regal loves his countrymen/women.

Good show overall.

I haven't seen this week's ep yet, but Sasha Banks seems to be the MVP lately of the shows. Her ring work's been perfectly adequate as of late, and her character work has been really on point.

Agreed, she is fantastic.. always stands out as a highlight and comes off like a star. Really like her and Charlotte both, my favorite parts of NXT since I've started watching again.

The first two matches carried the show this week.

I wasn't impressed with the title match, and it was weird to hear the announce team play Banks up as a favorite, since this is the first match she's won since the Network launch, and they just did an angle with Charlotte assuming leadership of the BFFs because she got tired of watching Sasha lose.

I think it's safe to say those two matches against Adrian Neville were the best two matches of Brodus Clay's career, right?

It's the basic big man/small guy formula, but done extremely well.

Like everyone else, I really liked Bayley/Sasha. I've liked Sasha even when she was a face but becoming heel has brought new life to her character.

I didn't dislike Nattie/Layla but it just felt "there" and the lifeless promos didn't help.

OLIVER GREY is taking on MOJO RAWLEY. Here's the thing about Mojo and the backlash against him and a conundrum with NXT. Mojo's really green. I mean, ridiculously green. He's had less than 20 TV matches, probably. Maybe even closer to 10. And how many house show matches has he had? He's straight up a guy who they grabbed from football and are trying to turn into a wrestler. Everyone else has had years of experience in their craft. Aiden English wrestled in Chicago indies and the like, for instance. Adam Rose has been around for years as Kruger. Bo Dallas, too. The WWE is going to have more and more of these types of guys come up through their system. Guys who come up from the indies don't know how to work a TV match but they at least know how to pace and structure a match. But Mojo? He's learning this right now. As we watch. It's pretty fascinating to see it develop. And he has the important part, the unteachable part, down -- he gets reactions. I do wish he'd get past his ass-based offense, though.

This is totally my train of thought on Mojo.  Sure he's green as a St Patrick's day parade now, but that'll change with time.  I just think it's cool we get to see it happen.

I feel like if you guys looked a little deeper into the NXT roster and saw the talented people they aren't using, you'd start to think it was bullshit a green doughy motherfucker who does diva moves gets so much TV time, especially now that they're having people from the main roster take whole segments (Layla vs Natalya)

• Like 2

This idea came up yesterday:

If Big Dave is leaving soon, a logical booking step would be to bring up someone from NXT to be the new "future" member of Evolution.

But who would it be, with all the guys who just debuted on TV and the people likely ready to be moved up are faces (Sami, Neville)?

I had to watch Neastea with no sound because of reasons pertaining to watching it piece meal over the course of a couple of days.

Bo Dallas vs. Tyson Kidd is one of those matches where you have one guy with clearly less physical skills as the other but has about a billion times better grasp of how to work his character.  Bo totally carries this deal by having a character beyond 'wrestler' so suck it Jim Cornette.  Tyson showed very, very little and was totally out classed by a guy working a Honky Tonk Man gimmick in 2014.  I wish Tyson the best of luck working ROH main event with AJ Styles on the indies in however many years it takes to work him out of the system.  Bo Dallas' short arm elbows are my favorite mid match spot now and I'm not sure why exactly but that is where we are at.  Dallas continues his post-title losses in the grand tradition of putting everyone over on the way out the door.

Bayley's new entrance is the most awesome thing since Adam Rose's first appearance which was a short time ago but both are the bee's pajamas.  Hopefully, she won't end up on the big show stripped of all her awesome like some people who are Australian and not getting a great start.  She is facing Boss Sash in what should be pretty baller.  I miss Summer Rae just for mention's sake.  Where has she been post Fandango?  Sasha starts with the brawls and Bayley counters with roll ups which totally works for her character for me.  They do some stuff that all seems appropriate before Bayley steals the girl fight slaps from The Boss and smacks her across the back a bunch.    Exploder (was that an exploder?) gets two for Bale Bale for Sasha comes back to PASTE her in the face with a slap.  I love Sasha's mean girl offence so much.  Bayley comes back with a really nice back drop and the Belly-to-Bayley hugplex but Sasha rolls out of the ring.  A neck snap gives Sasha the opening for the neckbreaker for twoooooooooo.  Bayley goes for the hugplex again and.... HOLY SWEET JESUS.  HOLY SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS.  What a god damned finish!  Words don't do this justice.  

Now the bad news.  Spoilers being what they are, doesn't this seem like more of a semi-final or final?  Wouldn't this have been a great opportunity for both women to get wins and move to the second round?  I say thee yes.  

I could take Brodus Clay a lot more serious if he didn't have such awful gear and the world's worst haircut.

Adam Rose vs. Danny Burch is next.  I hear Danny is no longer with the company.  If I can suggest going home to England and forming a super stable with Rampage Brown and Robbie Dynamite?  Rose's transformation seems almost complete.  He and his former ID as Leo Kruger could not seem any further apart at this point.  He messes around until Burch punches him the mouth which is great.  They fudge around some more before Rose hits a cutter thing and gets the pin.  I look at Rose now and see more Kanyon or DDP now than ever before and I think he can make that work.  Camacho runs over El Fiesta Hombre Junior (I don't know) and I think I like Camacho's new direction but I need a bit more personality out of the guy.  And a Tongan death grip.

Nattie vs. Layla is next in a battle of people that should have been beaten in the first round by the other two people who already worked tonight (bitter?  Me?  No.)  Layla is totes a poorer version of Summer at this point which is fucking amazing since Summer has like a 1/8th of the experience?  This match sucks.  Nattie sucks.  Everything looks so flipping awkward and the spacing is trash.  

Oliver Grey vs. Comrade Mojo is up.  Mojo comes out really fired up as is appropriate for the gimmick.  The black taped fists work with his look for me.  What doesn't work is Grey beating him up at the bell.  I know this runs counter to most thinking but sell less Mojo.  Sell Less.  If any one was made to take a few shots in a corner and then straighten up and say "Nyet, your puny blows do not effect me" its Mojo.  Comrade Mojo finishes with the Eastern Block and Iron Curtain.  I have now watched 6 Olliver Grey matches and have no idea if he is any good or not.  Which doesn't matter anymore I guess.  Aiden English comes out and they do a thing.  Aiden has a pretty good 'bah curses' facial expression.  He needs a handlebar mustache and he could go full Snydley Whiplash.  

Neville vs. B.C. is next.  The Champ's T-shirt looks like it could be for the Nova comic book character and I kind of like it for that reason.  He should totally work this match like BC knocked his teeth out, so lets see if that happens.  Well... YUP.  Neville has some really great strikes in my opinion and he just wails on the wide load.  BC has a nice transition to offense when he kind of catches Adrian coming off the top and shoves him into a corner.  Although I think it was supposed to be a battering ram, it still looked good for what it actually was.  Clay follows with a butt charge out of the tree of woe and that looked pretty effective here too.  Clay's offense looks actively damaging here for a change with a nice T-bone and elbow drop.  I think staying away from striking is a good move for him.  This is further evidenced by a nice Jessie Ventura backbreaker and boy am I waiting for him to unleash the Papa Shango shoulder breaker.  Powerbomb also looks good!  But for my sake, no more splashes for you Big Man!  Seriously he uncorks one here and it is honestly the worst looking thing he does all match.  Clay goes to get the title belt and it gets super kicked into his ... face?  Red arrow and we are done.

Know something?  Clay looked really effective here.  Yup.  Stayed away from his really bad striking.  Had some good power moves.  Cut out the splash and off the hair and we got something here young man.

The thing about Mojo is that I don't care that he has bad matches. It's nxt. He's entitled to learn and grow, especially in ring. I just disagree completely with Greg and other Mojo defenders that he has intangibles and things you can't teach. He gets a reaction because he has plants in the crowd. Literally every time he has come out when his fan club hasn't been there or they have wrestled outside full sail, he has not garnered a reaction. I think he comes out and makes his entrance in a vacuum. I think he makes his entrance and it is designed to manufacture energy from the crowd, but nothing he has ever done has ever shown an actual connection to the fans. It's like the babyface fire equivalent of watching a sociopath try and fake human emotion.

• Like 1

If Big Dave is leaving soon, a logical booking step would be to bring up someone from NXT to be the new "future" member of Evolution.

But who would it be, with all the guys who just debuted on TV and the people likely ready to be moved up are faces (Sami, Neville)?

Mason Ry....oh

It's too bad how thin the NXT female roster has become with Paige/Emma/Summer on the main roster.  Only one new face in the tournament that's about half-filled with main-roster women.  Is no one else "TV-ready"?

I think the spot should go to Barrett or a turned Sheamus, but if they have to give it to an NXT guy, it should be Sami. He and Neville are the only guys that are main roster ready, and I'm sure he's talented enough to pull off playing a heel despite seemingly being a natural face. Ambrose has turned into the next Ricky Morton after all.