DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Goodear, the reason I am hating on the heart punch is because it was 'just a mid match thing'. I feel like the heart punch should be a selective death move like the piledriver, and not used as a rough equivalent to a stiff forearm.

I like when tom Phillips mentioned that Big Cass idol was Patrick Ewing Regal asks if he was the guy in Dallas  :lol:

So next week is going to be Sami Zayn & the Uso's vs the Ascension & Corey Graves.  Man that sounds like an awesome 6 man match. 

Is Barrin Corbin a Rotundo with a new name?  He looks like a younger non beard version of Bray Wyatt

I like when tom Phillips mentioned that Big Cass idol was Patrick Ewing Regal asks if he was the guy in Dallas  :lol:

So next week is going to be Sami Zayn & the Uso's vs the Ascension & Corey Graves.  Man that sounds like an awesome 6 man match. 

Is Barrin Corbin a Rotundo with a new name?  He looks like a younger non beard version of Bray Wyatt

Corbin is former NFLer Tom Pestock.

Goodear, the reason I am hating on the heart punch is because it was 'just a mid match thing'. I feel like the heart punch should be a selective death move like the piledriver, and not used as a rough equivalent to a stiff forearm.

Oh that makes sense.  Usually in discussions of finishers you see complaining that the heart punch is over protected and a 'bad finish'.  From your perspective I more fully understand your issue with it although I don't share the opinion.

Ive got something to push down your throat pal

Really???

Why don't you take some time to think about if this was the best use of your keystrokes

I feel sick to the stomach for having missed this show for so long. I took a break from wrestling and while slowly catching everything, NXT has been a fun surprise. Can't believe how I missed the evolution of stars I like so much, like Cesaro, Rollins, Paige, the Wyatts... and how was Chris Hero? Wasn't he good enough for WWE or something else happened?

And with the interest of ESPN on her, I was paying attention to Renee Young on commentary, and oh man is she great. Fun, natural, charismatic and light, I really want her to stay on WWE.

Hero was really good. Supposedly he was a diva backstage or whatever. But his feud with Regal was aces.

Just seen his match with Regal and it was great. Then again he could probably carry me to a good match with his facial expressions and selling, man I need more Regal in my life.

I feel sick to the stomach for having missed this show for so long. I took a break from wrestling and while slowly catching everything, NXT has been a fun surprise. Can't believe how I missed the evolution of stars I like so much, like Cesaro, Rollins, Paige, the Wyatts... and how was Chris Hero? Wasn't he good enough for WWE or something else happened?

And with the interest of ESPN on her, I was paying attention to Renee Young on commentary, and oh man is she great. Fun, natural, charismatic and light, I really want her to stay on WWE.

Go on Hulu and start watching NXT from the middle of 2012. Or you can even go on YouTube and watch some old episodes of FLorida Championship Wrestling. I made a thread for it in this sub-forum.

I'm slowly catching up on things and NXT has really impressed me. One particular match, Sami vs Cesaro, was easily a contender for MOTY. And I love how the champions is Pac, I never thought seeing him this high when just a couple of years ago he was doing a show in my country mixed with the TNA roster.

One thing I've noticed is how the show is treated by WWE: like an alternative. When Stephanie McMahon presented the Arrival show, it was funny seeing the crowd confused, they didn't know if they should boo her or cheer her, and this is when she was already a heel on Raw. This established NXT as a parallel universe to WWE in my eyes, being everything TNA wasn't: a true alternative to WWE. They keep things basic, with the feuds, storylines and matches being straight-forward while showing you can have your over the tops gimmicks in a fun and subtle way. They don't try to pack an one hour show with every talent on the roster as well. But there's no need for me to beat a dead horse in this thread.

Hero was really good. Supposedly he was a diva backstage or whatever. But his feud with Regal was aces.

Just seen his match with Regal and it was great. Then again he could probably carry me to a good match with his facial expressions and selling, man I need more Regal in my life.

Go on Hulu and start watching NXT from the middle of 2012. Or you can even go on YouTube and watch some old episodes of FLorida Championship Wrestling. I made a thread for it in this sub-forum.

I'm slowly catching up on things and NXT has really impressed me. One particular match, Sami vs Cesaro, was easily a contender for MOTY. And I love how the champions is Pac, I never thought seeing him this high when just a couple of years ago he was doing a show in my country mixed with the TNA roster.

One thing I've noticed is how the show is treated by WWE: like an alternative. When Stephanie McMahon presented the Arrival show, it was funny seeing the crowd confused, they didn't know if they should boo her or cheer her, and this is when she was already a heel on Raw. This established NXT as a parallel universe to WWE in my eyes, being everything TNA wasn't: a true alternative to WWE. They keep things basic, with the feuds, storylines and matches being straight-forward while showing you can have your over the tops gimmicks in a fun and subtle way. They don't try to pack an one hour show with every talent on the roster as well. But there's no need for me to beat a dead horse in this thread.

Did you see both Sami vs. Cesaro matches? There's the one from 2013 and then the other from NXT Arrival. Both matches are absolutely amazing. Cesaro's now getting his big push and I'd like to think that his willingness to go to NXT and wrestle as the company's ace bully is a huge reason why.

I've been slow to watch this week's NXT. But, as usual, it's great. Regal may have had his greatest moment yet, which is saying something. The dude said he was wearing manatee-skin slippers when CJ Parker was coming out! And then he snidely says, "I want to punch him in his face" when everyone's new favorite heel (and he should have that title if he doesn't already) CJ Parker was ranting about SUV's. That gimmick is so great. "I JUST WANT TO CHANGE THIS WORLD!" is my new go-to line whenever I'm playing Power Grid. The "global warming" chant was also aces. And man... I actually thought a Khali match was good! CJ Parker as a stooge heel doing this act can be a great heel enhancement talent act.

Other stuff:

Really nice, tight match between Aiden English and Big Cass. I'm totally fine with those guys working together. Aiden's not a big guy -- he's a really fit guy, but not a big guy -- and figuring out ways to wrestle a big dude is going to help him out a lot. And it's the same for Cass -- the guy also has to learn how to make smaller wrestlers look good, since the chances of him getting an absolute monster push are fairly slim. That's not because he can't do that role -- he could -- but he's got such a great goofball act, especially when Enzo's healthy. There's more potential in him doing what he's currently doing than in getting a strong push and then fizzling out, which is what would happen.

Sami Zayn is making a really strong case as the best face promo on the roster. I can' remember a guy who has that level of charisma (which he has in spades) while also portraying someone just really sensible at the same time. His stuff about explaining head injuries was so spot-on and perfect. He didn't make an excuse for losing via ref stoppage, but still has the confidence to say he could have continued and can beat Corey Graves. I'm REALLY pumped for that six-man tag. I'm so curious to see if The Ascension can hang with The Usos. I absolutely love The Usos and am also really curious to see if they're at the point now when they can take an unknown entity -- The Ascension have just been in squashes for ages and haven't had a real tag match in so long -- and carry them to something good. The Usos have really benefited from being a tag team on an extremely talented roster in a promotion now based around tag and six-man wrestling. I mean, they hang in there with the absolute best workers in the business. Now it's time to see if they can elevate guys, which is a whole different challenge.

Ty Dillinger and Jason Jordan in symetrical trunks and a matching rope-hop entrance! This match against Baron Corbin and Sawyer Fulton was really good. If you factor in these guys haven't tagged before (to my knowledge) and are all really green, then it's almost earth-shatteringly good. This was a Southern tag match done right. Jason Jordan has some really fun babyface fire and an incredible dropkick. Baron Corbin is a friggin' beast. Sawyer Fulton is, too. Ty Dillinger sold his ass off. But what really made this match something special was these really green teams had some pretty complicated and well-executed double teams. I mean, I've never stepped in the squared circle in either singles or tag competition. But I'd have to imagine that doing double teams and the like is a lot harder than just a singles match because of communication -- it's just naturally harder to communicate between five guys (counting the ref) and three.

Seriously, I'm going to put that match on the Best Of The Year list. It doesn't hold a candle to the constant classics we get on a weekly basis. But if you factor in the newness of these guys and how they nailed it so quickly, then it has to get some shine. If I were to rank every awesome match this year, it would come in last place possibly. But that's not taking away from it at all, if that makes any sense.

Man, Neville has really gone up in stock since winning the title. I mean, the dude's always been talented and has an awesome offense. But he lacked what Sami Zayn has. But he's really got it going on, now. His new Prodigy theme music really adds a lot to it. Man, people really are sleeping on THIS match, too. This was such a well done small champion vs. monster big dude match. The only problem I had with it was Brodus' first powerbomb attempt, when Neville sneaked out of it and crawled to the corner. That doesn't really scream fiery babyface to me -- it's more "clever heel." But it paid off later when Clay went for the powerbomb a second time and this time Neville countered in a proper manner. Also, this was a great countout win. It put over both men superbly. Neville didn't just steal a victory Bo Dallas style. He had to survive a very skilled and brutal big man with main roster experience who now has a nasty streak. Brodus came one missed floor splash (and kudos to him for that spot) away from really destroying the champion and arguably one executed powerbomb away from being the NXT champion.

Great friggin' episode.

I haven't watched the show tonight but I"m guessing they announced Paige was stripped of the title. At tonight's tapings, they started a tournament to crown the new champ. The finals will take place at the next live NXT show on the network on May 29th. Tonight's tapings was the best one since Arrival as it had some pretty good matches and new people debuted. Also no Corey Graves which is a major plus.

The NXT takeover show will be headlined by Charlotte vs Natalya for the women's title and Tyson Kidd vs Adrian Neville for the NXT title. I"m guessing they will also have the Ascension vs Kalisto/El Local for the tag titles since that was pushed.

The tournament matches were:

Sasha over Bayley, Charlotte over Emma, Natalya over Layla, Alexa Bliss over Alicia Fox, Charlotte over Alexa and Nattie beat Sasha. Sasha vs Bayley was really good with a awesome finish. Alexa Bliss looked really nervous and green in her debut. She's got potential. I'm disappointed it's not Bayley vs Charlotte for the title as they have built that up for months without a real blowoff match. I guess they want Charlotte to win the title over a main roster vet?

Bo Dallas's Bolieve character was the real highlight of the night. First he lost to Tyson Kidd in a good match. After that, he was in the battle royal to crown a new number 1 contender and lost that. The final match of the night was Bo losing a loser leaves town match vs Big E. His new titantron is epic. I got faith that his character will work on the main roster if it's given time.

Adrian Neville beat Brodus Clay in a no dq match that made Brodus look real weak. If I knew they were still firing people, I would say Brodus isn't gonna be around much longer but who knows? HHH came out and said they would have a battle royal to see who is the new number 1 contender for the title. The final 3 were Breeze, Sami Zayn and Tyson Kidd. They did the finish were each guy touches the floor at the same time. So they had a triple threat match to see who goes on. Tyson won that with a elbow from the top as Sami was trying to break up the pin but wasn't in time. That was a real good match and the best of the night.

NXT set some new midcard feuds. The first one was Adam Rose vs Camacho. Camacho attacked one of Adam's party guys after a Rose squash. This lead to a match the next week with Camacho and I think they guys name was Captain comet. I love that NXT has it's own Captain New Japan. Camacho beat him handidly and then Rose made the save. Finally Camacho and Adam Rose had a match but Camacho just walked out.

Another feud was Mojo Rawley and Aiden English. Mojo was not over in the least with the crowd tonight. His fan club/family weren't in the house and he got booed. Aiden attacked Mojo after a Mojo squash. They had a match and it was long for a Mojo match but not good. I predict Mojo will be a heel sooner than later.

NXT finally has some tag team. Kalisto made his debut teaming with El Local vs Sylvester Lefort and Marcus Louis. Kalisto looked good in his debut. They challenged the Ascension after another Ascension squash. Luckily only one this time.

They did a test run of Paige vs Tamina. It was a sloppy match with Tamina dominating most of it till Paige got a roll up win. Paige had the title with her so I guess she's winning at the ppv?

The crowd was super annoying tonight with the chants and trying to get themselves over. Even more so than usual. Some chants were funny( singing Wyatt's son at Bo, BO LEAVE chants.) Some were just annoying. Overall, this was the best show since Arrival. They planted some good seed for the future. It will be interesting where they go without Bo, Rusev, Paige and Emma.

I was watching nXt when the girlfriend came home, so she sat down and watched a little bit with me. I'm always interested in her take on wrestling stuff as a non fan who is a performer, and so I jotted down a few things she said: 

About Corey Graves, she said a couple things. First, on his entrance she said he was like Randy Orton crossed with CM Punk, but you didn't get an idea of who he is as a performer. During the match, she had a really good point which I think sums up Graves. She said if you lined everyone in the six man tag shoulder to shoulder, you would instinctively look at Graves. He has the most presence physically. Once the match starts, he doesn't seem to be as good as everyone else at keeping your interest. 

She also commented that it was apparent how much more polished the Usos were, because they don't stand out to her when she sees them on Raw, but they seemed like a big deal on nXt. 

She laughed at the announcers calling Paige the "anti-diva" because, in her words "She looks like Kristen Stewart's pretty cousin." Did not really buy it. 

She liked the CJ Parker gimmick, but thought it still needs to go a little further. 

The Ascension need a manager. Where's our modern-day Paul Ellering?

Throw them in with Heyman and give us the amazingly fun Brock/Cesaro/Ascension Survivor Series team.

NESTEA~!

JBL does a good job taking the NXT Women's Title from Paige without being a mammoth jerk which was an interesting turn for him as NXT General Manager.  It wasn't a bad way of taking the belt off her and made logical sense.

Alexander Rusev vs. Travis Tyler Rusev is working this flat affect angle thing going on to make the comparisons to Ivan Drago even more obvious.  Tyler goes for an opening match dropkick which is not a ad way to give him something to build on as he develops.  Rusev squashes TT with his usual and then speaks some Bulgerese.  The replay of the barge in the corner was a good one and Riley's Rule to Live By #3 is not a bad little gimmick for Alexander either. This was quick and nothing new.

Adam Rose having an interview with all the Party People hanging out is an interesting bit.

BFF (Boss Sash and Charlotte) vs. Emma and ... Well it's Paige but they blew the reveal in commercial which is DUMB.  This really feels like Charlotte's chance to work Paige and she does a decenct job being antagonistic.  Sasha comes in to fight like a high school girl in the cafeteria and it really works despite being so weird.  Charlotte slaps a leg scissors in and does a great job working it by flipping Emma over in a great spot and also does a good head bounce series.  Boy does Charlotte throw a crappy missed elbow drop.  Paige goes for the cross lock on Sasha but Charlotte dropkicks her in the knee in devastating fashion to get the open to hit the thing... with the flip.  Good booking decision to pass the torch to Charlotte with a tag team win without having to have Paige drop a singles match while still Diva's Champion.  Makes sense to me.  I hereby name flippy thing... Gutter Shark!  

I kid. 

Naughty by Nature?

Tyson Kidd is next! 

And he's facing Mason Ryan I think it says something that they didn't push this as anything.  I think it says that Mason is going to be unemployed once his contract is up.  This is has no heat and is dull.  I go back to working on naming the flippy thing.

Nature Call.

Whoo be gone.

Tyson Kid wins with the blockbuster.  No one cares.  Renee Young catches him on the ramp way and he says nothing interesting.  I feel Tyson has been 'coming back' for 3 months or something. 

Tyler Breeze is NeXT.

He is taking on Percy Wa... wait no... Angelo Dawkins.  Angelo was a look going for sure but it fades before the match starts and it fades a bit.  He takes Tyler down for a it but Tyler comes back with a bunch of strikes.  He locks in a chinlock and makes sure to yell at Angelo to stay off his hair.  He is so good at little character stuff.  He puts Dawkins away with a Beauty Shot.  Tyler isn't really made to beat dudes up at this point.  He's made to stooge it up so I'm wary of the new direction.

North Carolina Cutter

The LOL (Last One Left)

Did you know Brodus Clay attack Adrian Neville last week.  And... Neville lost his front TEETH!?!  I have serious teeth phobia so Blargaglegagle!  No wonder he wears a mouth guard.  Seriously, this is either a case of taking something that happened and rolling with it in the best carnie way possible or a waste of Neville wearing dentures this whole time.

Sami Zayn, J. Uso and J. Uso vs. Corey Graves (Ass) & The Ascension I am looking forward to this to get a sense of how Ascension handles non squashes.  The Usos don't get the reaction that I would have expected but whatchagonnado?  Corey exhales douche because he is a stink weasel.  Viktor bounces around for the faces for quite a while and the Usos do a variation of the old SST doule noggin knocker no sell.  Sami's new tights look they have a kitty on the butt :3  Konnor gets J. Uso in a bit of trouble as we go to break.

Corey Graves gets in back from break and rocks J. Uso with a gourd buster for two.  The announce staff gets the differences between a 6 and a regular tag match over pretty well.  The Ascension are doing a great job of looking completely generic and dull.  I really thought they were over that but they just aren't ready and they never will be if this match was any indication.  J. Uso gets a tag and batters The Ascension up.   Corey gets in and business picks up immediately.  Sami and J. combine for a dragon whip - cross body and it was a totally believable finish but Corey got out.  Sami hits Blue Thundah but The Ascension save.  Sami and J. take out the Ascension on the outside while J. hits the top rope splash on Graves.  I really think the flying body press would have been a better finish but whatever.  I don't think this really did anything for anyone.  The Ascension looked as bad as ever doing nothing to look like they belonged with The Usos.  Corey came off like more of a star but barely got to do anything until a well executed finishing stretch.  I don't think I ever wanted more Corey Graves before but here we are.

Not a good show really.

After watching this week, I feel sure that I dislike Corey Graves, Charlotte, Sasha Banks, and Tyler Breeze for all the right reasons - they all seem like total dicks of the kind that you want to fight in an alleyway (or in the case of Charlotte and Sasha, that you want to see another girl kick their asses).

Tyler Breeze wrestled a terrible squash match, though.