DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Either way he needs a new finish. That clothesline won't cut it on Raw against guys like Big E, Swagger and Shield.

I buy the 'Third Eye' from Parker because I can believe his character went and learned some sort of Earth loving hippie monk fu to help fight against the 'evil doers'

Rose needs a 'stage dive' off the top rope or something.

Reverse diving headbutt?

So he climbs the turnbuckle like he's going to do a moonsault, but then just falls backwards?

Not sure that would work...

Even something simple like a frog splash. Try and emulate the 5* and get a heap of height on it.

Either way he needs a new finish. That clothesline won't cut it on Raw against guys like Big E, Swagger and Shield.

I buy the 'Third Eye' from Parker because I can believe his character went and learned some sort of Earth loving hippie monk fu to help fight against the 'evil doers'

Rose needs a 'stage dive' off the top rope or something.

Reverse diving headbutt?

Like the old Mr. Fuji one?  That would be awesome, any time someone brings back an old signature spot from an old-timer I'm all in.

Really good article on WWE.com about Sara Del Ray and her work training the Divas in NXT.   Lots of mentions and even pictures of her work in Shimmer, ROH, and Chikara

http://www.wwe.com/inside/how-sara-amato-is-changing-divas-division-26194085

Thanks for the link. Excellent article that really shows her in a positive light. I don't know there was anything kayfabe in there at all -- even to using "Bryan Danielson" name. Good photos, too.

Can anyone explain me the diff between NXT and NXT Arrival? Or is it the same show that changes names now and then? I assume that "Arrival Encore" is a clip show? And "This is NXT" I watched yesterday - very good intro for a new viewer of the show.

I am a little confused when I look at what's on the Network, so I can catch up on the last few weeks at least.

FIiL6qql.jpg

NXT Arrival was NXT's Clash of Champions. They built to all of the matches.

A lucha dude named Aerostar does a reverse headbutt thing but to the floor but after bouncing off the top rope like Sabu or Ultimo Dragon. One of the most insane moves in history.

NXT is the weekly show

NXT Arrival is the PPV-ish show they did live

NXT Arrival Encore is a cut-down version (90 minutes instead-of 2 hours, I think)

This is NXT is an intro to the entire NXT universe

NXT Arrival was NXT's Clash of Champions. They built to all of the matches.

A lucha dude named Aerostar does a reverse headbutt thing but to the floor but after bouncing off the top rope like Sabu or Ultimo Dragon. One of the most insane moves in history.

Nice. Thanks, Guys. That all makes sense. So need to watch "Encore" if I watch the full show. I like the "Clash" analogy.

I'm planning to re-up my huluplus this weekend, so I will prob start around Jan 1 and catch up.

I now understand Corey Graves after watching last week's NXT. My wife walked into the room while he was cutting a promo on Yoshi, immediately stopped what she was doing and said 'Who is this douchenut? He needs to leave...what is his name? He needs to leave Yoshi Tatsu alone. Yoshi has cool pants."

Match starts, Graves leaves.

"Wait he's just gonna leave? He won't even fight cool pants? What a dick! This guy is a dick!"

Attacks Yoshi.

"Oh COME ON. Seriously? Can someone please come out and throw him around? He's so gross."

Zayne runs out.

"THANK YOU. I don't know who this guy is, but he's my new favorite wrestler."

I have to imagine that's what Triple H pictures when this guy hits the main roster: wives across the country that don't watch the product stopping in their tracks and saying "ugh someone kill that guy. I'm going to sit and watch until someone kills him."

• Like 8

I now understand Corey Graves after watching last week's NXT. My wife walked into the room while he was cutting a promo on Yoshi, immediately stopped what she was doing and said 'Who is this douchenut? He needs to leave...what is his name? He needs to leave Yoshi Tatsu alone. Yoshi has cool pants."

"Wait he's just gonna leave? He won't even fight cool pants? What a dick! This guy is a dick!"

Attacks Yoshi.

"Oh COME ON. Seriously? Can someone please come out and throw him around? He's so gross."

Zayne runs out.

I have to imagine that's what Triple H pictures when this guy hits the main roster: wives across the country that don't watch stuffing instead of potatoes stopping in their tracks and saying "ugh someone kill that guy. I'm going to sit and watch until someone kills him."

Greatest story I have read all month.

Attacks Yoshi.

Zayne runs out.

I have to imagine that's what Triple H pictures when this guy hits the main roster: wives across the country that don't watch stuffing instead of potatoes stopping in their tracks and saying "ugh someone kill that guy. I'm going to sit and watch until someone kills him."

That's like, what every promoter in history has wanted.

Corey did a really great job this past week on the show, it was easily his best performance that I have seen from him.  He is still missing a couple of pieces to the puzzle like how to build the heat segments while keeping them interesting.  But no one in NXT does nothing to give the fans anything to cheer for like Graves.  Even Bo can get something funny out during his promos.  

I enjoyed NXT this week. 

I think the Ascension should watch some Demolition tapes. I want to see more clubbering with forearms. Also, their finisher has the small guy doing a back elbow and the big guy chop blocking. I think Connor should throw a mean lariat and let Viktor hit the chop block for more effect. I want to like them, but they don't quite wrestle like the type of team they're presented as. 

It's been said before, but the Scorpion Cross Lock is my favorite finisher period that anyone is doing in WWE. That thing just looks nasty. 

This might have been the first time where we saw Bayley as something other than cute and nice which is a nice change of pace. 

I really want to get excited about Big Cass Colin Cassidy because he is very entertaining but he really doesn't come off like a big man in the last couple of months.  The big boot was nice but it just seems like he takes too much punishment from smaller guys.  And where is Enzo Amore.  They could have tried to introduce him.

The Natalya vs Charlotte promo was funny because of the revisionist history in the Bret Hart/Ric Flair feud.  I am pretty sure that Bret wasn't responsible for Flair leaving the WWE in 93. 

Where is Aiden English for christ sakes.  You should Mojo Rawley twice but no Aiden  :(

Attacks Yoshi.

Zayne runs out.

Well... Graves is my new favorite wrestler.

That was kind of a terrible episode of NXT.

Paige/Sasha was probably the best match, and it's good to see Paige go to that submission as her main finisher.

The fact that they had to recap Mojo's Arrival match in still-frame form was pretty damning.

The Ascension are like a poor man's Kronik. I want to like them, but it's just not happening in the ring. Victor is alright, but Connor is a lumbering oaf and has the completely fake "trying too hard" thing going on with his intensity. They should probably make Victor's second rope shining wizard their finisher too. The High/Low doesn't help the generic image at all.

That 4-way divas promo was awkward as fuck. Bailey and Sasha seem to play their characters well enough, but Charlotte and Nattie have no presence at all. It's like each person who talked had progressively less presence and understanding of their character. "We both come from great men" has to be the worst line I've heard in a promo in some time.

Mason Ryan is still around, I guess? He looks like he's lost weight.

After Rusev moved around so well in the Rumble and when he beat down Woods and Breeze a couple weeks ago, I was thoroughly disappointed by this plodding, sloppy match. He should probably have a different finisher than the Steiner Recliner. His music still rules, though. Oh, and lol at the ring announcer botch introducing Breeze as the opponent during his "surprise" entrance.

The main event was way too long. Haven't seen Cassidy before but he strikes me as a Matt Morgan type, only less intimidating. I'm not sure what Bo's strengths are in the ring exactly, but his offense was limited by the size difference and he couldn't do much in the way of bumping because Cassidy's offense sucks, so he didn't have a lot to work with here either way. The only good part of this match was the "boring" chant. "Yes, this is Bo's ring!"

I guess we did need a show at some point to remind us that this is still a developmental program. Can't expect Zayn/Cesaro every week.

Went to the NXT tapings tonight as they taped 4 more episodes that will last till about the end of April. Not a very good bunch of shows especially compared to the beginning of last year..

Kalisto had his debut match in the dark match beating El Local. He looked ok and was over but not a lot of highspots. Lots of kicks though.

First taping was the start of a lot of Sasha Banks matches. She had 3 in all. Lost to both Emma(1st taping), Bayley(second taping and teamed with Charlotte who beat Paige and Emma. I guess Charlotte is the new number 1 contender after beating Paige.

Speaking of new number 1 contenders, Brodus Clay is the new one for the NXT title. He returned from nowhere to beat Xavier Woods. After the match, he called out Neville and said he was getting no respect. Brodus attacked Sylvester Lefort after he had a match and then Neville accepted his challenge. This lead to a ok match in week 3 which Neville won after Brodus missed a splash on the floor and was counted out. Brodus looked in horrible shape

The best segment of the night was Occupy NXT with Bo Dallas. Bo wanted another title match and asked the NXT fans to occupy with him like Bryan. This lead to almost everyone turning their backs at him. He then snaps and it was way funnier than I described. JBL comes out and says Bo doesn't get a title shot and has to face Justin Gabriel. Bo won.

Other than that, not a lot happened. Corey Graves beat Sami Zayn after a injury angle. Sami was knocked loopy. The Ascencion had 3 matches. 2 Squashes and the main event of the evening where they teamed with Corey Graves in a losing effort vs The Usos and Sami Zayn in the best match of the night. Great Khali beat CJ Parker in a true Match of the year candidate.  Actually it wasn't that bad. Adam Rose had 1 match and now he has 4 guys dressed up in these big air suits as part of his posse. Tyler Breeze had 2 squashes which were short. No Solomon Crowe either.

Next taping is April 24th with Big E.  NXT has really taken a hit now that Cesaro and Summer Rae seem to be gone and Neville has gotten boring. Even people like Paige and Breeze aren't as over as they once were. NXT needs some new blood, especially heel divas as Sasha and Charlotte aren't good enough to hold it together.

This was just an episode of NXT. This is why I love NXT. It doesn't NEED to be spectacular every week. It just needs to have matches and advance storylines. Sometimes Cesaro will attack a ring announcer in order to bait William Regal. Sometimes Bo Dallas will have a PowerPoint. But sometimes it's just slight bullying of Bailey. I'm totally fine with a low-key episode.

I thought Paige/Sasha was a solid match. It wasn't anything great but it didn't need to be. I really like Paige adding that submission as her finisher, especially as her Paige Turner thing wasn't quite working. It's a little too complex to get on quickly, which will come in handy when she has really competitive matches. If it's hooked, you have to tap. But getting it 100% hooked is the thing.

I really hope The Ascension get a rival and quickly. Those dudes are going to stagnate without someone else as foils. I'd love to see Sami and Neville team up to go against them. Pipe dream, perhaps.

I thought the divas promo was really fun. I don't get the Charlotte hate. I think she's been pretty great the past two weeks as a spoiled, entitled brat. Nattie was good coming in as the older dude in the neighborhood who doesn't like the freshman football player bullying the grade school kid. Nattie's NXT run has made me come around to her. I used to think she was the worst but she's pretty decent.

I loved Tyler Breeze selling out Xavier Woods like that. Lana's outfits are such great wrestling trash. Imagine if she went into an actual workplace dressed like that? "Uhm, you need a blouse... Go see HR."

The Main Event was a bit slow. I still liked it, though. Both Bo and Big Cass are good when they have someone fast who can move around to up the pace of a match. They aren't those guys, and that's fine. The announcers during Bo matches kill me. They should really make it a point to get over that the dude uses every part of the ring to win a match and is super clever. That was what set up the ending tonight. He had Cassidy in the ropes and actually kicked the rope across his eye to shift momentum leading to the pin. The NXT announcers are usually so good but they haven't underlined that at all, but it's clearly there.

I agree that the main event was pretty weak sauce. The crowd had it correct with their "boring" chance. Still, it's great to see you show that's about 90% in ring action.

Still getting a feel for the various characters. But if this is what passes for a bad episode, that I have solid hopes for this series.

Enjoyed Paige/Sasha. The divas are always the highlight here. I like Charlotte a lot, Paige is obviously great and I think Sasha's really good too. Thought Bo was pretty good in the main and it was good to see Mason Ryan even if the match was nothing special, I miss him on the main roster.. hope he gets another shot.

• Like 1