DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

I read that they dropped the Crowe gimmick because of the problems with the Network launch.*

*and by read I mean I just made it up right now.

On twitter, I joked that the network issues during Arrival were Crowe's introductory vignettes.

I think the fanbase for NXT is partially the way they are because by and large it's the same basic group of people every taping.

That's how territories used to work anyway. It was basically the same group of people showing up in Memphis/Tampa/MSG/Greensboro/Atlanta/Dallas/Houston every week/month. 

5. i always love how someone being in ROH = "They have been fighting all over the world." I understand not acknowledging your competition but are they really competition? Legitimize the sport, let folks know there are other places out there. Give history of your wrestlers. How can that hurt?

When they say these things about guys like Zayn, Neville, and Cesaro - they really have been all over the world though, and consistently. Particularly Pac and Generico, they made a career for themselves outside of ROH for the most part.

Yeah, I really wouldn't associate either Generico or Pac (especially not Pac) as ROH guys. In fact if I had to associate them with 1 indy it would be PWG, and they have both wrestled in Japan with Dragon Gate, and in Europe. Wikipedia even tells me that Zayn wrestled in Chile, Russia, and Peru among other places which are off the beaten track. The claims of wrestling all over the globe are entirely true.

WWE NXT To Get Major Promotional Push It will be the company's "pure wrestling product"... - At the latest TV tapings, the WWE NXT talent were told that there were plans to push the brand more heavily with the WWE Network up and running. The company is planning to promote it as the company's "pure wrestling product."

While there will be some NXT names called up to the main roster, talent were told that it will be a slow process for some and that they should be patient. They are hoping that the stars of the brand will get added exposure on NXT without needing to be called up and featured on the main roster.

I'd say that's pretty good news. I was afraid now that NXT is on the network Vince would start paying attention and turn into another shitty c-level show like Superstars, but that's actually the opposite of that.

I hope we see some more two- or three-hour specials like Arrival, though.

I also hope the wrestlers at least get some kind of pay increase, since it really wouldn't be fair to still pay them "development wrestler" money, if they're turning this into it's own brand.

WWE NXT To Get Major Promotional Push It will be the company's "pure wrestling product"... - At the latest TV tapings, the WWE NXT talent were told that there were plans to push the brand more heavily with the WWE Network up and running. The company is planning to promote it as the company's "pure wrestling product."

While there will be some NXT names called up to the main roster, talent were told that it will be a slow process for some and that they should be patient. They are hoping that the stars of the brand will get added exposure on NXT without needing to be called up and featured on the main roster.

I just read this and I'm watching NXT ArRival right now. Dammit you fuckers have got me sold on NXT!

NXT~!~!~!

New Theme Song, beat is okay but the lyrics are kind of bad y'all.

New NXT Champion Adrian Neville starts out in a contest with Comacho and while the match isn't really all that, the commentary crew is all over telling the story of what is coming up and how Neville will have to react to being the champion.  Its a great way of getting over that everyone is going to be going after Adrian now and he ain't got no more friends.  He goes over Camacho with the red arrow, but the big story is coming as a not smiling Bo Dallas interrupts a post-match interview to remind everyone Neville climbed a ladder to win the belt like a 'Dad cleaning his gutters' which is an awesome line for the Bo character.  B is great here going from vapid smile to no expression at all.  Thumbs up from Bo!   Cheep pop!

Paige and Emma do some separate promo work after their match at Arrival and Charlotte interrupts them both with her dad in tow.  Ric comes off as really creepy here in an perverted old man kind of way.  Charlotte comes off ... okay.  She's not a natural promo but the right lines were there for her character.  She'll be facing Emma ... NeXT!

Charlotte enters with Sasha Banks and 'Summer on a stick'.  Next wristlock sparring to start with Emma getting the better of it.  The move about and Charlotte 'tweaks her ankle' on a floatover which is totally a ruse.  But the nice thing about it is that Emma didn't immediately get all worried, she went for a cover instead and then paused at the referee's instruction.  Then while Emma is distracted by Shasha's "concern" Charlotte kips up and does her finish thing *super* quick.  This does good things for Charlotte getting her over as smart without Emma looking really dumb.  

Sami got what he wanted from the match with Cesaro.  In my opinion, totally time for him to start pulling down wins instead of great efforts.

Corey Graves in NeXT against some guy I don't recognize.  Yoshey something or other.  

I hate god damned Corey Graves and his dumb knuckle tattoos.  And his dumb other tattoos (the masked wrestler on one shoulder is the worst).  And his skinny jeans.  And his hair cut.  And he buries Tatsu because he doesn't shop at Hot Topic.  And then buries Sami Zayn and Cesaro and everyone and I hope Tatsu kicks him in the teeth.  So mission accomplished I guess you fucker, you detestable ass.  Sami lays down a challenge.

ADAM ROSE PARTY!  I have no idea what Adam Rose is (I know he's Kruger) but there is a gladiator!  And Kallisto makes his debut in the background I think twirling a baton?  And I want to have Adam Rose's babies 3 seconds after meeting him.  Even if he would call me boring.  OMG is he NeXT?!?

Xavier Woods is PISSSSSSSSSSED.  So that is a refreshing change for his character, he better not come out all smiles and kissing babies when he faces Rusev even if he is probably getting beat.  Rusev and Lana respond with lots of Bulgarian and Lana says he accepts for next week.

ADAM ROSE PARTY~!  Versus a COWBOY~!  A Real Cowboy?  This is great if only for the crowd turning on some dude who tries to start a "We wan Kruger" chant.  Tensai is a ROSEBUD.  I... I... I... I wanna join.  MOAH Adam Rose!

ZAYN/GRAVES NeXT

I'm wearing out the shift key and for that I apologize.

Again the announce team does a great job of putting over the story.  Zayn needs wins now and Corey is using him to get up the ladder and is manipulating the situation.  The other thing Corey does well is have nothing that I want to cheer for.  I want to boo the guy and he plays into that role.  He isn't there to get cheers for anything.  He lays in a fishhook and its mean and he's a jerk.  He pulls out a nice backbreaker as a cut off spot and damn it.  Corey Graves is having a good match.  Damn it.  Couldn't he just suck?  Argh.  Sami wins off a small package to counter a second backbreaker and I'm pretty happy.  You know, even here, Sami gets over his 'never back down' character by telling Graves he will fight him on the way from the ring.

Great episode this week.  Yup.

So I FINALLY got a chance to see Zayn/Cesaro from NXT Arrival

1. Good commentary is great for business. Calling the match in the ring, is great for business. WIlliam Regal really stood out here. There were a few times when Todd Phillips basically referred to a move as "a move" or "a generic move" and Regal was there, in a non-disrespectful fashion, to correct Phillips and educate the fans as to what they just saw.

Something I really enjoyed as well is that a lot of the time, Phillips were outright defer to Regal: What is that? What does it do? FANTASTIC way to act as the every man for the audience that might not know the name of every hold Jericho can do and still have everything very wrestling focused. 

Imagine that Adam Rose entrance at Wrestlemania, you could have a hundred party people carrying him out.  If he can improve his wrestling a bit, he's going to be a big star with this gimmick. 

I thought he was really good as Leo Kruger. He wrestled very well as a hunter, always stalking. He (or whoever came up with this idea) was right to change him to this gimmick because this is epic and going to be huge. I knew it was Kruger but it doesn't look like him at all. He also wrestles really differently. Once he gets the in-ring character down pat, he's going to be huge. I have no doubt he will. This has stardom written all over it.

Also, I love that the NXT crowd bought into this right away and didn't chant Leo Kruger or what have you. That's so great.

When the Adam Rose match starts, you can hear one guy try to start a "We Want Kruger" chant, but about 10 people immediately yell "NOOOOOO!!!" back at him.

I do love the new gimmick and that song is catchy as all hell, but I worry about ANOTHER dancing gimmick making it to the main show. Yeah, this is more of a party guy, but you know that Michael Cole will only say "Adam Rose just loves to dance and have fun!" like he does about Emma and Xavier Woods and like he did about Brodus, etc. Hopefully the character gets evolved a little further past that

Hey, so I watched this week on Hulu and tried to go back to watch Adam Rose again but the show was gone  :(  But as a way to make it up to me, Arrival was there!  Be back in 2 hours world! 

When the Adam Rose match starts, you can hear one guy try to start a "We Want Kruger" chant, but about 10 people immediately yell "NOOOOOO!!!" back at him.

I do love the new gimmick and that song is catchy as all hell, but I worry about ANOTHER dancing gimmick making it to the main show. Yeah, this is more of a party guy, but you know that Michael Cole will only say "Adam Rose just loves to dance and have fun!" like he does about Emma and Xavier Woods and like he did about Brodus, etc. Hopefully the character gets evolved a little further past that

I hope so too, but I think that there's a lot of ways they can run this gimmick - including as a Odditites only w/ more women. I didn't check, but surely Dinsmore was in the party crowd?

I hope so too, but I think that there's a lot of ways they can run this gimmick - including as a Odditites only w/ more women. I didn't check, but surely Dinsmore was in the party crowd?

Wasn't Dinsmore it was Braun Strowman (Adam Scherr)

There has to be a GIF of the announce desk with Regal and Renee Young just giving each other the puppy dog eyes.   I mean the only thing missing was Saxton and Phillips screaming "Will you two just get a room"  

Charlotte playing the role of "The dirtiest diva in the game" is very good and works with Ric Flair being the mouth piece.

Adrian Neville's promo was rather interesting playing the underdog.  Even making fun of the fact he can't really cut a promo. 

Yeah Adam Rose is fucking awesome.   Well at least his entrance is.    Although it is weird to see Solomon crowe get his debut as a DJ and Kallisto or whatever Samauri Del Sol is going to be as the glow sticks dancer guy 

He doesn't have the character fully fleshed out, and he's gonna have to work on the mannerisms, but in a couple years, Adam Rose could be huge. Especially if he commits as much to the character as he did to Kruger.

So watching tonight's NXT.

I never realized just how much like her old man Charlotte looks.

I think she looks like a prettier Ann Coulter, actually.