DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Just got around to watching hour two of it. While this show wasn't a win from beginning to end, the goal was to get new viewers hyped about NXT as a whole, and this did that. After so many years of sterile programming from WWE, this show had passion and excitement in it - and it reminded me of the excitement I always had watching wrestling as a kid. I'd put Cesaro-Zayn as the best match, with Emma-Page in second place, and the main event in third.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/02/nxt-arrival.html

Screens -

30465b311167841.jpg

ce1fbd311167920.jpg

0c18d4311167954.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/28ugbg94vgtcauv1j2mytmevtnjztghv

Well the guy that booked NXT when it was really good early last year is now booking Smackdown isn't he?

NXT had another show at Full Sail tonight. Not a bad show but very long and 3 Corey Graves matches is almost as bad as 3 Ascension matches. Also Solomon Crowe debuted.

Lots of Divas matches took place. Charlotte beat Emma after faking a injury. Paige beat Sasha but was attacked by Charlotte. I'm guessing that's her next challenge. Bayley beat Sasha and then Natalya beat Charlotte by DQ when  Sasha got involved. Bret Hart was in Nattie's corner and looked like he was out of it.

As I mentioned, Corey Graves had 3 matches. Two vs Yoshi and one vs Sami Zayn. First Yoshi match had Graves calling out Cesaro and Zayn. After the match, Zayn came out and challenged Corey. Zayn beat Corey in a good match but not great. Later in the show, Corey injured Zayn as he was preparing to face Tyler Breeze.

Breeze also was booked in 3 matches but only wrestled in one. He was supposed to face Xavier Woods but Rusev took his place. Finally in the last taping, Breeze beat Woods. Woods was a lot more serious tonight than usual.

Adam Rose is now the most over guy on NXT besides Cesaro. Such a great entrance. He had a good match with Camacho and I love his Michael Hayes gimmick.

Solomon Crowe debuted beating Sylvester Lefort. Pretty disappointing as he seems to have dropped the Ipad gimmick and came out to generic music.

Sheamus beat Aiden English in the best match of the night. Long match and this was Aiden's come out part. Sheamus gave Aiden a lot of the match which was cool.

The tapings started with the Outlaws who got the biggest pop of the night. Full Sail loves the Outlaws.

Main event was Adrian Neville vs Bo Dallas rematch. It was better than the ladder match and Neville won with a reverse 450.

Next taping is March 13th.

That Paige/Emma match from Arrival was something else. If they call up the diva's who can actually wrestle, the diva's division might be worth a damn during big shows instead of the matches being used to cool down the crowd after a really great match before hand.

I loved Regal calling the match. He really is the best color guy in ages. When Paige locked in that submission he sounded like he was digging deep into the recesses of his almanac of wrestling holds to properly name the submission. God, that hold looked painful as hell.

I think the best part of the show was probably the announce team. EVERYTHING they did was to enhance the work being done in the ring. They put over holds, moves, story, the wrestlers...My hope is that with more people watching NXT they start to wonder why Maggle, JBL, and Cardiac are still taking up space on Raw and Smackdown. 

Yea, hopefully the NXT commentary team isn't instructed to dumb down their product so they won't cause humaniods to expect more from the Big Roster's commentary team.

Watching Emma wrestle last night was kind of like the first time you ever saw Hulk Hogan wrestle in Japan and went "Wait, he can do all that stuff too? Fuck!"

Great analogy. I am sure people were thinking the same. Because alot of non-NXT dudes that have seen Emma don't understand her at all. I didn't blame them either.

So, it's a shame that NXT's booking is so much more old-school than the mainline TV shows.  Because the easiest way to improve the mainline product would be to "call up" the NXT bookers, I think.

Who books NXT?

So, it's a shame that NXT's booking is so much more old-school than the mainline TV shows.  Because the easiest way to improve the mainline product would be to "call up" the NXT bookers, I think.

I think there's a chicken/egg thing here you might be missing.

Did you guys see the Solomon Crowe promo that leaked with the rest of the training videos? The package and entrance was great. The dude's promo was AWFUL tho. Great idea for a character but not sure if he could have done it justice. Keep things simple.

I read that Tensai was introduced as Jason Alberts. It's almost as if they think Tensai is a stupid name.

Well, they're the ones that gave him that name in the first place.  Actually I like the new name.  They're basically telling the smarks, "Go ahead and chant 'Albert' at him now, you assholes!"

I'm finally getting around to watching ArRival. The Cesaro/Zayn match was very good. Probably not on the level of the 2-out-of-3-falls match but stil pretty damn good. I loved the callbacks to their previous matches, especially the uppercut Cesaro hit to counter the through the ropes ddt. That final uppercut was really brutal. As others have said, the commentary throughout the match (and the night really) was tremendous. Regal is so great and I dug him saying that, even to an "old villain" like himself, the match was getting hard to watch. As an aside, if I ever find someone making t-shirts out of the Zayn/Black Flag sign I saw in the crowd I will purchase one in a heartbeat.

Parker/Rawley was just kind of there. I'm not big on Rawley. He's alright but doesn't stand out much to me. I feel like this should have been a short squash to really push the type of character they want him to come across as.

The tag match didn't do much for me. Scotty looks great though.

The Women's Title match is right up there with Cesaro/Zayn for me as match of the night. I really hope Emma can get over on the main roster. If (and I know it's a very big IF) the NXT girls are called up and allowed to wrestle legit matches, I think that the diva's division could actually become something more than the restroom break match on shows. The "Better Than Batista" chant for Emma's powerbomb drew a legit laugh from me. Paige's submission hold to finish was insane. Emma's reaction to losing went a long way in establishing how important the title is. A nice change to see someone look upset after a loss instead of shrugging it off. All in all, this was a great match and a really good showcase for what the NXT women can do. Plus I continue to fall deeper and deeper in love with Paige every time I see her.

Bo Dallas drives me nuts. He plays his character perfectly. I want to see him get punched in the face at all times. Great heel.

HBK's intro was bad, just bad. Luckily the match that followed was good. I wouldn't call it great but it wasn't hard to watch either. It was nice seeing a ladder match where the stupid, risky spots were kept to a minimum (at least by the standards of past years). It made the big bumps stand out more to me and gave it a unique feel. The commentary again was spot on and Regal really helped the match feel like the big match it was.

Overall this was a fun show. I hope a lot of people watched both this and the This is NXT special. I think that the Network could really draw in a big chunk of new NXT viewers. Hopefully that doesn't come with a lot of changes to the formula because NXT stands out well on its own.

So based on some NXT Arrival post show interviews the next in line for Paige will be Charlotte.  If you are going to have her feud with a BFF I would think Sasha Banks would be next in line since Charlotte really hasn't done much in the ring lately.  But I bet they would love to put Charlotte in the WWE quick given her pedigree. 

So I FINALLY got a chance to see Zayn/Cesaro from NXT Arrival

1. Good commentary is great for business. Calling the match in the ring, is great for business. WIlliam Regal really stood out here. There were a few times when Todd Phillips basically referred to a move as "a move" or "a generic move" and Regal was there, in a non-disrespectful fashion, to correct Phillips and educate the fans as to what they just saw.

2. I love the "Zayn wants Cesaro's respect" story that has been a constant theme in their matches. Stories = great for business.

3. The attempted through the ring post swinging DDT being countered with a Euro Uppercut was wild man. My goodness.

4. The fans. The fans made this match special. Which makes me ask this question are NXT fans different than WWE fans or are NXT fans just WWE fans that are receiving what they want? Because I always wonder if you replaced the fans at Full Sail and gave them 300 random fans from RAW, would they have the same participation.

5. i always love how someone being in ROH = "They have been fighting all over the world." I understand not acknowledging your competition but are they really competition? Legitimize the sport, let folks know there are other places out there. Give history of your wrestlers. How can that hurt?

6. I liked when Zayn kicked out at 1 and Cesaro was just stunned. #NewJapan

7. I liked how they hugged it out at the end. Can only image what words were exchanged but whatever it was Zayn had a legit smile on his face afterwards.

This is wrestling man. This is what we want WWE. We want wrestling. We want commentators calling the match and not telling us how to use our cell phones. Respect the roduct as if it is a sport. Please. I beg you.

• Like 1

5. i always love how someone being in ROH = "They have been fighting all over the world." I understand not acknowledging your competition but are they really competition? Legitimize the sport, let folks know there are other places out there. Give history of your wrestlers. How can that hurt?

When they say these things about guys like Zayn, Neville, and Cesaro - they really have been all over the world though, and consistently. Particularly Pac and Generico, they made a career for themselves outside of ROH for the most part.