DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

I don't particular care for the abilities just yet of the Mickey Keegan and Aiden English team but there look just fascinates me.  Not sure if that was the plan but they look like guys that did jobs against the High Flyers in AWA circa 1978.

I love this show, but Bo Dallas is the single most loathsome face that I have ever witnessed.  Even the kids hate him, it is one of the strangest things I've ever watched.  It's hard to believe that his brother is so good at making Bray Wyatt a consistent, interesting character and he seems to have no clue what to do to make himself likeable.  The goofy smile and the douchey posturing between his moves is so unnecessarily over the top I can't believe no one has told him to cut it out.  Why did they decide to put the belt on him of all fucking people?  

I still feel like Bo's doing the "Bad Guy who thinks he's a good guy" shtick,  He just comes off so amazingly insincere that it has to be planned.

Kruger and Cesaro made a good team, I wouldn't mind seeing Kruger take Swagger's place in Zeb Coulter's America.

Also happy to see more of the Enzo/Colin vs Mason Ryan feud.  Is Mason now using the cobra-clutch slam as his finisher?

I thought the same thing about Bo, but this shit has been going on for a long ass time and if they take much longer to actually make the switch I think it will actually get worse.  He also has the worst finisher in all of wrestling.

Cesaro is a fucking boss.  Everything he does on the ring looks absolutely brutal and if anything I think he should be taken away from Zeb Coulter and just pushed as the baddest motherfucker on the roster.  I love that he is consistently on NXT, but he needs to get a pretty big push on the main roster.  Between him and Daniel Bryan, they could really be the aces of roster in the next year or two(or now, why wait?).  Seriously, I'd pay money to watch him kick John Cena's ass on PPV. 

Kruger seems to be getting better every week too.  He needs a better finisher, it seems like they are letting him try some things out to see what sticks, but all of them seem more like signature spots than finishers.  His snap suplex looks fucking great though. 

Is Neville going to ever get out of the rotating tag partner phase?  With their new found interest in the tag team division, I'm not even sure that he shouldn't stay in tags for a while.  Corey Graves doesn't make sense as his partner though.  Am I crazy or would Mason Ryan be kind of a good partner in a big man/little man team?  Their both Brits, they both have limitations in the ring, and Neville would be a great face in peril and who would be a better guy to hot tag than a behemoth like Ryan? 

I hope Chris Hero is eating his Wheaties and doing some pushups, because he could easily get lost in the shuffle with all the talent that is on NXT.

I still want to see Mason Ryan become a top guy someday. Always liked Leo Kruger, entertaining character. Went back and watched some of Summer Rae's matches, she strikes me as very good and surprisingly on level with the other more experienced girls. NXT continues to have a much stronger divas division than the main roster.

Bo's a natural heel. NXT, though, works pretty well with a face champion. He's stuck in a bad spot. As soon as he turns, he'll be mega over. They started showing glances of him being an insincere heel (I loved his smarmy toolness when he went to Disney) but kept him face for a bit. They need a good face for him to heel up against and no one's in that spot quite yet. I bet Sami gets that spot after the next round of tapings.

-Opening segment was what it was.  Enjoyed Mason Ryan's dancing.  Also enjoyed the little swarthy guy, though I couldn't tell you what his name is.

-Sasha-Charlotte was fine.  Charlotte is really tall.

-I always liked Renee Young on The Score and she plays a good put-upon reporter.  I actually missed the photo-bomb as I was listening while making dinner.

-I'd have liked the Wyatt squash to go a little longer, but it was made up for with Bray Wyatt busting out the "Tiiiime is on my side" a la 'Fallen'.

-Dawson-Graves was kinda dull.  I actually like Dawson way more than Graves.  I really dislike Graves' pants, I always feel like he's one move away from completely exposing his ass to me.  Regal busting out the offensive French joke cracked me up.

-One can't help but watch Dallas/Zayn Kruger/Cesaro and just wish the other two guys would go away.  I got a real kick out of the NXT crowd just having none of Dallas and cheering the heel against him.  Dallas' voice is weird.  When he shouted "Nooo!" at Kruger trying to leave, it sounded like a small child having a tantrum.  He's a perfectly serviceable wrestler, but his face just bugs me.  He really needs to grow a beard, stop talking and become Bray Wyatt's brother who was kept in the basement and had his tongue cut out.

I kinda feel like Corey Graves has everything going for him (good look, interesting ringgear, the 'Stay Down' catchphrase, passable to decent interview skills) except wrestling skill.  So, he'll probably go pretty far.

I'd been wondering why WWE hadn't brought up Paige yet.

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

WWE NXT Women's Champion Paige is getting very strong reviews for her work in WWE developmental. One of the reasons the "Anti-Diva" hasn't been called up to the main roster is because WWE thinks their talent should be at least 21 before they go on the road. Paige will turn 21 on August 17.

Of course, some in WWE are questioning why WWE broke that rule with Total Divas cast member Jo Jo Offerman, who is only 19.

Yeah, there have been plenty of wrestlers under 25 on the roster so I wouldn't think that'd be an issue. The Hardyz, Orton, Renee Dupree, AJ, Kaitlyn, many other divas...  they always have people under 25.

My guess is that they just haven't figured out how they want to debut her yet.

What does 25 have to do with anything? The age they want people at mentioned in the article is 21. It may just be bs based on a comment JR made about believing people that age shouldn't be called up to the main roster.

I kinda feel like Corey Graves has everything going for him (good look, interesting ringgear, the 'Stay Down' catchphrase, passable to decent interview skills) except wrestling skill.  So, he'll probably go pretty far.

Yeah, I think he probably has the most potential out of anyone in NXT right now to make it big on the main roster.

I thought I remembered him being pretty good as Sterling James Keenan, but a quick Youtube perusal disabuses me of that notion. That said, yeah, he seems like a guy they could do something with. If nothing else, they should bring him up as a Heyman guy and have him be Paul's replacement best friend.

I thought Corey Graves had a good look going when he was the sleazy party boy teaming with Vader's kid.  I can't believe anybody thinks his current look is good though.  He looks like he sucks dick in bus station restrooms for meth money now.

• Like 2

Corey Graves comes off like the absolute worst type of hardcore punk fan.

He's a dude who is all about tattoos, fights and his roommate's crappy Hatebreed copycat band. (And he and his roommate live with six other dudes in a two-BR place in like West Philly or Sacramento or Allston.) And absolutely none of those dudes has felt any joy or laughed at anything since the time they had a party at their house and beat up a 19-year-old kid who threw up in the basement.I'm more of a Sami Zayn guy -- an Op Ivy fan who is shy but charming around Renee Young who also dresses up like a luchador and hates pretentious Eurotrash.

• Like 2

That's the perfect way to say that, Gregg. My wife, who isn't a "fan" per se, but who's been remarkable in her evaluation of guys on the surface level, HATES Corey graves. Graves reeks of a guy who hates bands after they get signed to big labels and is super pretentious about his super pretentiousness. Seems like the kind of guy who'd go to a party at the playboy mansion and complain about the background music.

• Like 1

That's the perfect way to say that, Gregg. My wife, who isn't a "fan" per se, but who's been remarkable in her evaluation of guys on the surface level, HATES Corey graves. Graves reeks of a guy who hates bands after they get signed to big labels and is super pretentious about his super pretentiousness. Seems like the kind of guy who'd go to a party at the playboy mansion and complain about the background music.

This sounds like the making of a great heel, for what it's worth.  They can do some of those Raven/Kanyon style vignettes with him and Adrian Neville going to different places. Neville will be having the time of his life until Graves just insists on shitting on his fun.  It would start as an odd couple tag team, until eventually Neville gets fed up and they have a blow off.  Probably wouldn't work on Raw, but it could be fun for NXT.  Fantasy booking is over, back to our regularly scheduled love for NXT.