DVDVR Message Board

2014 Fantasy Baseball Thread

Kyle Casey

I gotta say I really hate this scoring. No matchups to win, no drama. Then late in the season we get to worry about fun stuff like # of games played. If we play again next year there has got to be a bloodless coup and some major changes.

I gotta say I really hate this scoring. No matchups to win, no drama. Then late in the season we get to worry about fun stuff like # of games played. If we play again next year there has got to be a bloodless coup and some major changes.

Go to the four letter too, Yahoo's format drives me nuts. . . 

The only thing I'm really "mad" about is my pitching is shit. I lost one of my good pitchers to the ole Tommy John, and the another to a long stint on the DL. The replacements haven't been great. . . 

I'm with you. I can get more into Fantasy Football and Baseball if it's based on head to head or matchups. I'll talk to people who think it should be purely points based and that's it and I'm just puzzled. 

My problem with head to head baseball (or actually any non-football sport) is how many categories are dependent on percentage and how many people game the system to win a week.

Every time I have played head to head baseball - I have been in a league with at least two people who will do the "start one relief pitcher to register like 0.00 ERA and 0.00 WHIP" and then bench their entire team so they get like an automatic 3 wins. (There are obviously several variations too this but you get the point)

My problem with head to head baseball (or actually any non-football sport) is how many categories are dependent on percentage and how many people game the system to win a week.

Every time I have played head to head baseball - I have been in a league with at least two people who will do the "start one relief pitcher to register like 0.00 ERA and 0.00 WHIP" and then bench their entire team so they get like an automatic 3 wins. (There are obviously several variations too this but you get the point)

When I ran a H2H league, I'd make it 6x6, with no more than 2 rate stats per side, (I used traditional 5x5 stats plus OPS and holds). Anyone who does that is winning 2 stats at a cost of 4, and if their RP fucks up in his appearance, they have to abandon that plan, minus a day. You might still see someone try that strategy with a LIMA-style team-build, hoping they could win 5 stats on the hitting side, but it was a pretty poor gamble overall.

The thing that drives me nuts about Yahoo is that there is no disabled list to stash a player. Six of my players on on the DL right now. . . . 

Yea there is man, it just isn't really advertised.  Click on the player on the DL, and the "DL" option will show up at the bottom under the Bench.  Devin Mesoraco is on my DL at the moment.  I didn't know about it myself until I saw Phil had someone on his DL and was like "How did he do that?"

I'm not terribly familiar with it, but how does Yahoo scoring work?

I was in the league literally a week before I understood the scoring, the Yahoo "Help" didn't really help and I didn't see the option to see the expanded scoring.  A picture is worth a thousand words (I am assuming no one will care that I am posting this, Phil is doing well otherwise it may disappear ;)):

YqDm8Iy.jpg

Basically, all the teams are ranked 1 - 12 in the categories the commissioner picked before the season (AVG, RBIs, HRs, etc).  So if my team has the 12th best ERA in the league, I get one point for that category.  10th in Wins, I get three points.  And so on.  Then all the points for all the categories are added up to have a Total Points score.  So its a fine line between not wanting to ignore a category since 1 point is bad (like my K/BB has been all year), but not wanting to just be average in everything as then its really hard to win.

The thing that drives me nuts about Yahoo is that there is no disabled list to stash a player. Six of my players on on the DL right now. . . . 

Yea there is man, it just isn't really advertised.  Click on the player on the DL, and the "DL" option will show up at the bottom under the Bench.  Devin Mesoraco is on my DL at the moment.  I didn't know about it myself until I saw Phil had someone on his DL and was like "How did he do that?"

Thanks, as previously mentioned, I had no idea. . . Ought to improve on my depth a little bit :)

Well I guess stop picking up players made of glass :)  I guess they do that to discourage people from stockpiling players that are going to miss half a year or something.  I don't think your team would be any worse if Trumbo went to the unemployment line since he will be out for six weeks.  Although someone would probably grab him once he started his rehab starts.  Sneaky bastards.

Well I guess stop picking up players made of glass :)  I guess they do that to discourage people from stockpiling players that are going to miss half a year or something.  I don't think your team would be any worse if Trumbo went to the unemployment line since he will be out for six weeks.  Although someone would probably grab him once he started his rehab starts.  Sneaky bastards.

I drafted a pitcher that went Tommy John too. . . just bad luck this year I guess.

• 2 weeks later...