DVDVR Message Board

2014 Fantasy Baseball Thread

Kyle Casey

I'm headed down to Indy on Saturday for St. Paddy's Day festivities, but I should be back in time for the draft. I wonder if I can draft via my iPhone just in case.

You gotta put the app on your phone. Drafting football on my phone worked for me last season. I'll be working til 5 Sunday so I gotta look into putting that on my phone as well.

Drafting question if anyone sees this before 4 PM - so I get the general scoring but what I am wondering is, is the best RP as good as say the best 2B?  I know in football leagues the kickers/defense are the last things picked because they score the least amount of points for the team, is it the same for Fantasy Baseball?  My plan was just to watch trends in terms of who other people were drafting and comparing every day players I am having no issues with, it is slotting in SP and RP and where they rank in comparison to every day players I was still iffy on.

2B is pretty thin this year and Cano going to Seattle is causing people to downgrade their projections for him. Top RPs are pretty deep with Kimbrel, Chapman, Jannsen.

I won't make the draft as I have a Second City writing class at that time so I hope auto ranking doesn't kill me. If it does I might do what I never do and actively pursue trades.

• Like 1

Yeah - I would look at how many auto-pickers vs. actual drafters too

RP - just like really life - you can get some real value cheap (or late in this case). You just have to decide if you are willing to punt the Saves category... since if you don't get a PVC~! you might not even want to bother grabbing a closer who is going to torpedo your ERA, WHIP, etc...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yay I just now figured out how scoring works, I didn't see the expanded option and was just confused as hell.

So do you guys like go in and change it every day for match-ups reasons, or are we just not that hardcore?  I have made one adjustment or two but I dunno if I am concerned enough to switch people in and out whether they are against lefties or righties.

You can set your lineup for days in advance so you technically could only check like once or twice a week

I check every morning to set my lineup and then maybe later in the day just because I am bored

The biggest thing to check obviously if one your pitchers is starting

Well I currently no active pitchers on my bench so that isn't an issue.  Unless that is my issue....

Yea I have been checking every day too, just haven't been overly looking at match-ups.  More just figuring out how to play.  But I like my team so far, aside from the 'no pitchers' thing.  I should go work on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hunter Pence is one more spot away from being thrown to the bench, what a waste of space he has been.  Baseball is interesting as sometimes a dude can just be in a temporary slump and other times it is a season long slump so its hard to determine when to give up on someone.  I know the minute I bench him he will go 6 for 6 with three HRs.

Yea that is why as a Braves fan I didn't touch the Braves OF with a ten foot pole, although obviously I am glad some of them (well one Upton anyway) is doing well this year.  Same with Hamilton last year too.  Baseball players are odd, you'd think people that have been "good" at baseball for 20 years wouldn't suddenly one day wake up and forget how to hit a ball.

Yea that is why as a Braves fan I didn't touch the Braves OF with a ten foot pole, although obviously I am glad some of them (well one Upton anyway) is doing well this year.  Same with Hamilton last year too.  Baseball players are odd, you'd think people that have been "good" at baseball for 20 years wouldn't suddenly one day wake up and forget how to hit a ball.

I drafted BJ upton as a backup, and have already dropped him. . .