DVDVR Message Board

Unpopular Firings/Cuts/Trades

Thomas Bugg

Name another trade that killed a team and a city. I dare you.

Oh save the drama.  The fact they won one playoff series in their existence killed that team as fast as their shitty trades.  That and the fact that most of the hockey beat writers and a bunch of players considered Hartford the armpit of the NHL.  Punch Imlach and Harold Ballard tried their best to destroy hockey in Toronto in 1979 by dismantling a team that was close to being a contender.  

Well I can't think of a trade that killed a team or a city, but I can think of games that have done so. The 1977 playoff game between the Raiders and the Colts broke the backs of the Colts franchise as they were never competitive again and Irsay made the ultimate bitch move in sneaking the team off in the middle of the night to Indy.

The 1999 playoff game in Nashville and Ralph's reaction thereto helped to put the Bills in their current morass. Not the sole reason mind you, but it didn't help. . . 

Oh save the drama.  The fact they won one playoff series in their existence killed that team as fast as their shitty trades.  That and the fact that most of the hockey beat writers and a bunch of players considered Hartford the armpit of the NHL.  Punch Imlach and Harold Ballard tried their best to destroy hockey in Toronto in 1979 by dismantling a team that was close to being a contender.

Don't you think the fact that they made all those shitty trades MIGHT have had something to do with them only winning the one series? Your knowledge about the Whalers comes from reporters in another country, I lived it. Trading Ron Francis was the point where fans really gave up, I saw it happen with my own eyes.