DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: GREG VALENTINE

RIPPA

Man, I wish I could find the Valentine-Kitao match from SWS online.  Why, you may ask?  Because the finish of the match was

Kitao winning with a vertical suplex.

Yes, in 1990.

Anyway, here's a promo that actually makes a pretty good case in favor of scripting.

I'm trying to find some stuff he did in Japan in the late 90s, like a match he had in Battlearts against Hisakatsu Oya, but nothin's coming up.  It was fun iirc, seeing Greg do kinda-worked-shoot stuff.  (Not quite as fun as crazy old Bob Backlund wrestling Daisuke Ikeda, Great Sasuke, and Yuki Ishikawa on the same tournament... but, ah well, take what you can get.)  

EDIT: geez, and why wasn't the Piper match the very first one posted?  I think people tend to remember Piper's insane performance more in that one, and Greg gets that unfortunate "Scott Hall in HBK's ladder matches" syndrome where the less-absolutely-spectacular performer is unfairly forgotten because the OTHER guy put on SUCH a show.  

God, Valentine was one of my early favorites since it was clear he was a grumpy bastard.

Sadly, all I can find of the Santana cage match is clipped to 2 and half minutes.

But this Valentine/Beefcake v Santana/Steamboat match is really choice.

What Jingus said.  Any mention of Piper or Greg Valentine usually conujures up the Dog Collar match when mentioning favorites.

Oh my God, Valentine / Santana was one of my favorite WWE feuds.  Chock full of the ring psychology.  The revenge angle where Tito started using the Figure Four was great.

Quite the slow starter.

Oh god, I have a new favorite tag team ever.

No, two favorite tag teams. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9JjIS1iEyg

I mean I already love Valentine and Terry Taylor, but unless you go on dailymotion for one of those Pro Chicago episodes (like the god damn Arn vs Windham match no one watched in the WCW C shows note), you can only find them vs the 1992 Freebirds. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15rwp4_wcw-pro-on-wgn-march-21-1992_sport?search_algo=1

There's a Bagwell/Z-Man vs Taylor/Valentine match on that show. Not as good as the Dustin Rhodes stuff from later in the year but I Don't have time to find that.

Greg Valentine v. Buddy Rose... from 1997. Slightly clipped

there's also a Kevin Sullivan/Greg Valentine v. Virgil/Barbarian indy match from 1994 on YouTube.

Perhaps putting Greg Valentine in the Dungeon of Doom would have been better than what WCW did with him. Have Valentine/Beefcake tag matches as Zodiac and Evil Greg Valentine. Also would put a guy in the Dungeon of Doom who can be considered a good worker. I'm just imagining the Kevin Sullivan/Greg Valentine team as a "Valentine does most of the work" team, but maybe it's bizarro

One of the fun things about "name v. name" indy matches is that element of "Who is working face and who is the heel". For example, Greg Valentine is the face in the Buddy Rose match posted by me. But who's the face out of Valentine/Sullivan and Virgil/Barbarian? has to be Virgil/Barbarian, right? unless Kevin Sullivan is a face in peril against Virgil and the Barbarian or something ridiculous