DVDVR Message Board

Definitely a disappointment for me. I was in the bag, deep, for that franchise. I think I had every year of that game, going back 10 years at least. I've seen this coming for a while, but I was hoping to at least get one next gen game out of it before the NCAA and/or EA pulled the plug.

NCAA Football is dead. But EA College Football 15 will probably rise, the deal with the NCAA is that they can't use the NCAA logo or the name NCAA.. but the Collegiate Licensing Group (the folks who provide the names and uniforms, etcetera) is completely different.

NCAA Football is dead. But EA College Football 15 will probably rise, the deal with the NCAA is that they can't use the NCAA logo or the name NCAA.. but the Collegiate Licensing Group (the folks who provide the names and uniforms, etcetera) is completely different.

Would that allow them to use "real" players, too? Or is that a completely different deal?

Individual schools and leagues have their own contracts. So in theory EA could make a deal with say the SEC - and then you get the real teams and the real names.

It's kinda like the soccer games currently - where they have agreements with specific leagues and those are the ones featured

I CAN'T BELIEVE MORE OF YOU FOLKS HAVEN' TALKED ABOUT THIS YET!!!

Who's got some info on this..and where's this likely to head?
If EA DOESN'T GET the LICENSE someone is gonna get RICH creating a new engine(if it's GREAT) for teh college football gaming world)

"UPDATE] Athletics organization decides not to renew licensing contract, EA confirms it will continue to make college football games; first title now in development for next-gen.

[uPDATE 2] EA Sports executive vice president Andrew Wilson has released a statement on the matter, saying the company will continue to develop college football games, but without NCAA names and marks. In addition, Wilson confirmed an all-new college football title is in development for next-generation consoles. His full statement is below.

"By now, most fans will have heard that EA's licensing agreement with the NCAA is set to expire and that we have agreed to part ways. I'm sure gamers are wondering what this means."

"This is simple: EA Sports will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues, and all the innovation fans expect from EA Sports."

"We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans."

[uPDATE] Following the publication of this story, ESPN college football insider Brett McMurphy claimed on Twitter that EA Sports will continue to have a college football game after 2014, but it won't be associated with the NCAA.

"EA Sports will still have college football video game beyond 2014, just won't be affiliated w/NCAA," he wrote.

The original story is below.

The NCAA today announced that it will not renew its contract with EA Sports, making the recently released NCAA Football 14 the final game in the series to feature the NCAA's name and logo.

Posted Image

The previous contract was set to expire June 2014.

"We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA," the group said in a statement.

The "costs of litigation" line is likely referring to a lawsuit from former UCLA player Ed O'Bannon, who--along with other former players--is suing the NCAA, EA Sports, and the Collegiate Licensing Company over the use of their likenesses.

The NCAA's statement points out that EA Sports could negotiate deals with individual schools, conferences, and bowl committees to keep school names in future games, though the status of NCAA titles is now in question.

An EA representative was not immediately available to comment."

(Props to GameStop.com for this INFO)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND then there's the NCAA "Speaking on it";

NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract

The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-DAMNNEARFONZIE

They can't offer to set money aside from the renewal if they already have. Also EA has said they will still go ahead with development of next years game...might lead to an interesting court issue if say the SEC and its teams get offered money from EA for the rights to there properties

Individual schools and leagues have their own contracts. So in theory EA could make a deal with say the SEC - and then you get the real teams and the real names.

I dearly love Hampton University, but the MEAC football game will be the worst fucking thing ever.

• Like 1

This has everything to do with the pending lawsuits against the NCAA using players likenesses without their consent.  I'm glad to hear that they will continue making the games in the future, being that I generally enjoy it much more than Madden, but the NCAA has spent years exploiting athletes and the writing is on the wall that they're days are numbered.

It's kinda like the soccer games currently - where they have agreements with specific leagues and those are the ones featured

I'll only accept EA making a deal with the SEC if Finebaum is included in the game somehow.

THEM BIG TEN BOYS JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE ESSSSS EEEEEE SEEEEE, PAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWL!

I'll only accept EA making a deal with the SEC if Finebaum is included in the game somehow.

THEM BIG TEN BOYS JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE ESSSSS EEEEEE SEEEEE, PAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWL!

Please don't remind me that the dark days are about to be upon my sports radio airwaves in a couple weeks.I have enjoyed Paul's sabbatical from talk radio... because it means I haven't had my IQ lowered by five minutes of his show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dearly love Hampton University, but the MEAC football game will be the worst fucking thing ever.

It's been done. Poorly.

I think the series peaked with NCAA 12. That was when it became apparent the series wasn't going to go any further aside from some little changes here and there. I still don't think they've ever fixed the issue with psychic DBs with super speed and super powers, and the running game has remained an all or nothing affair.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...