DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ANIMATED GIF THREAD

RIPPA

The Battle of the Barbarians match is pretty crazy.  I don't remember Nord taking bumps like that.  The selling is kind of wonky, but then again, if the Barbie can get up from Nord basically don't a slingshot hipbuster on him, I'm not questioning him.  Kind of an odd and random finish though.

The Battle of the Barbarians match is pretty crazy.  I don't remember Nord taking bumps like that.  The selling is kind of wonky, but then again, if the Barbie can get up from Nord basically don't a slingshot hipbuster on him, I'm not questioning him.  Kind of an odd and random finish though.

I'm telling you, Nord bumped huge during his WWF run. It shocked the hell out of me when I saw a lot of the matches for the first time in years recently. He also had some of the most varied and best looking offense in the entire company for the time period.

It's great seeing Goldust like this: in shape and kicking ass in the ring. When he was in AJPW a few years ago, my heart just broke for the guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewewejR8dRY

1 - Dustin didn't look awful but it's great to see him trim down.

2 - I miss Tajiri.

3 - Muta still looks like a bad ass.

4 - Hakushi looks EVEN MORE BAD ASS! Like holy, hell... that is a creepy looking guy. Like some sort of evil Japanese monk, coming to claim your soul.

Can I start the Hakushi vs Undertaker @ Mania fantasy booking here?

There are several matches between the two on youtube.

Battle of the Barbarians?

http://youtu.be/Dpm7w2wfbxE?t=23m30s

There are no words for how bad this match is.  Nord can't even hit the ropes  First show of 1998, announcers bragging about new faces, and here comes John Nord.  His clotheslines are appaling, and the finish is unreal.  His bumps to the outside are the best thing in the match by far. 

This was actually the first show I ever attended live.

WCW @ Atlanta, GA - Georgia Dome - January 5, 1998 (26,773; 23,058 paid)

Debut at the venue

Monday Nitro:

WCW US Champion Dallas Page defeated Chris Jericho

Bill Goldberg defeated Stevie Ray

John Nord defeated the Barbarian

Juventud Guerrera defeated Psychosis

WCW TV Champion Booker T defeated Prince Iaukea

Ray Traylor, Rick & Scott Steiner defeated Scott Norton, Buff Bagwell, & Konnan

Rick Martel defeated Brad Armstrong

Perry Saturn & Scotty Riggs defeated Chris Benoit and Steve McMichael

Lex Luger defeated Randy Savage

Dark match after the show: Sting & Lex Luger defeated Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage

http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/wcw98.htm

I remember them hyping up new guys during commercial and then Nord came out and got no reaction.  I don't even remember "The Battle Of The Barbarians" though.  For some reason, I remember Nord beating Stevie Ray.  They were hyping up a former World Champion too and Martel came out and got no reaction either.

Don't think I ever watched the telecast before.  Gonna have to watch this when I get some time.  I remember DDP being stupid over.  People were chanting his name before the show even started so when he came out the place exploded.  Place went banana when Sting ran out.  Booker was really over too.  Other than people going "Whoop there it is!", nothing brings me more joy than white people raising the roof.