DVDVR Message Board

Breaking up The Shield would be a mistake

rzombie1988

Does anyone else think that breaking up The Shield would be a mistake?

If you haven't heard Roman Reigns is likely going face and The Shield will be split up by Mania. I think The Shield is probably the best multi-man act that WWE may have ever put together. They put on good matches weekly and they can main event. They can also do just about anything else as we've seen them also open shows. Splitting them really only benefits Reigns at the moment. Ambrose and Rollins are likely going to have to start over from scratch and due to them not being huge or family members of someone in the WWE, I think they will have trouble getting back to the top. Reigns is also a risk. Yes, he is making huge progress but I don't trust him yet to be able to have good 15+ minute singles matches week in and week out. He's also kind of stuck because no matter how well he does he's simply not getting pushed above Batista, Orton, Cena or Triple H at the moment. Splitting them up means basically taking 3 stars and making 2 midcarders by default. I basically see another Nexus deal where one person gets a push and the rest struggle to even be jobbers. I think keeping them together would still be able to make Reigns, would be able to save Ambrose/Rollins and would still give us tons of weekly Shield goodness.

I'd keep them together.  The only way Roman is going to get where they want him to be is if he is surrounded by other great talent.  I don't think he is "can't miss".  I think he needs more time to develop.  Keep him in the group for a while and built him up.  Ambrose will be big star, but even for him the time isn't right to be solo.  Rollins has a shot.  I feel like he has the biggest chance to get hung out in mid-card hell.  Hopefully not though.  He has been super impressive this whole run.  Right now the sum of the whole is greater that the individual parts.  Rushing a break up by Mania is bad news.  It would be great to see them get a Freebirds push where any one of them could main even at any time.  

I couldn't agree more.  Mainly because I have no desire to have Reigns shoved down my throat as a face.

Maybe they can turn Randy Orton and shove him down your throat as a face instead.

Is there a way to give Reigns a strong singles face push without breaking up the Shield? Maybe they get tired of HHH holding them back and demand justice.

I couldn't agree more.  Mainly because I have no desire to have Reigns shoved down my throat as a face.

Maybe they can turn Randy Orton and shove him down your throat as a face instead.

Is there a way to give Reigns a strong singles face push without breaking up the Shield? Maybe they get tired of HHH holding them back and demand justice.

The Wyatt's would be an easy answer to that. It wouldn't be very hard to have the Wyatt's beat The Shield up with Cena coming to the save. Cena and The Shield shake hands and The Shield are turned face. We then get more Shield/Wyatt's and Cena/Wyatt stays on track for WM.

Why can't Reigns be like Andre and the rest of the Shield like the Heenan family?

Why can't their goal be combined tag champs (Rollins/Ambrose) and World Champ (Reigns).

I do like the character consistency of the three being such weasley assholes that Reigns' success will make the others angry.  But there is precedent for heels getting with the program and supporting one guy.

• Like 1

Why can't Reigns be like Andre and the rest of the Shield like the Heenan family?

Why can't their goal be combined tag champs (Rollins/Ambrose) and World Champ (Reigns).

I do like the character consistency of the three being such weasley assholes that Reigns' success will make the others angry.  But there is precedent for heels getting with the program and supporting one guy.

That model worked out pretty well for the Horsemen

The reason you have alliances and stables is for people to break up.

The failure rate of break-ups is because there hasn't been a lot of reason to get invested in teams that get broken up. They're not around long enough or the fans don't really care about either guy or the initial break-up doesn't have a lot of heat.

People are totally invested in The Shield. They've been one of the focal points of the company since Day 1. Everyone thinks they're awesome. They see money in Reigns. I do, too. A guy that size who is that athletic and has a track record of non-stop awesome matches and girls love him and he can speak a little bit? That's everything they thought they had in Batista circa Evolution.

I love The Shield as a six-man and they've made my life so much better because of the guaranteed 20-30 minutes of awesome they provide me every Monday night and/or occasionally on Smackdown. But I'll love the break-up Reigns solo push just as much. Especially since it's been a really slow burn in making Reigns THE star of the team and having Ambrose's hot head stuff really develop, too.

• Like 1

I wish they would just turn all three of them face.  Let Reigns mow through the heels, and if/when he gets the belt, THAT'S when Ambrose turns on him.

The Shield has been booked so incredibly well up to now.  Making Reigns yet ANOTHER uber-face (already got Cena, Sheamus, Batista, and Bryan) risks getting him lost in the shuffle and further watering down an already weak main event heel roster (Orton, Lesnar.....uh.....Del Rio?)

Roman needs to stay A. a heel and B. paired with Ambrose/Rollins until he's so over that there isn't an actual 'turn face' angle. 

The Horseman comparison is pretty perfect. Even if the Shield went their separate ways every now and then, acknowledging occasionally that they're still a unit and that they still ride together would work for me. Plus, if they loosened the 'these guys always do 6 man tags' to 'they are doing their own thing but still look out for each other when necessary,' you wouldn't have to keep coming up with reasons to keep the group together/make them fall apart. You could spotlight each guy for a bit as individuals. 

Plus, you could make the Shield rolling out to triple powerbomb someone to death after a few months of being apart would be a big deal.  

Yeah, there's really no reason that the power struggle between Reigns and Ambrose can't just result in Ambrose becoming the Starscream to Reigns' Megatron.

"More reason, oh mighty Reigns, that we should be targeting the REAL threat: John Cena's moonbase!"

• Like 2

Allow me to make a cynical prediction...

Because of the success of the unit, Ambrose & Rollins take ownership of the Shield and add another guy.

Reigns forms the Spear.

Kill me.

I'm already dead.

• Like 4

Allow me to make a cynical prediction...

Because of the success of the unit, Ambrose & Rollins take ownership of the Shield and add another guy.

Reigns forms the Spear.

Kill me.

I'm already dead.

But...but what if Mason Ryan is in it?

*sighs, turns off the lights and sits in the dark*

I don't think that's too far from the truth, though. I don't think Roman will start his own stable, but I do think they'll replace him within The Shield. I've been thinking for awhile now that Solomon Crowe's character is tailor made for that stable, it'd give them an interesting new dynamic. But more than likely everyone will go their seperate ways. I do wish this was/could be the new age version of the Horsemen or something like that. A stable that sticks around through a lot of incarnations, but will always have one or two key members always in the faction.

I've said before, but to me Reigns is less Batista, and more ECW Rhyno circa 1999. He's a monster, but he's not 6'5 and 300 pounds, which is really refreshing because he can tell a lot more stories in the ring.

I imagine the gimmick sticks around. One thing all three need is just an angle to really develop. I mean, The Shield's main angle has been "kicking ass all day, every day" but with the exception of them being portrayed as paid muscle every now and then, they haven't had a lot of storyline based stuff. I mean, this Wyatt stuff is great, of course.  

It'll be just shy of a year and a half since they formed when Mania rolls around so...yeah...it's okay. Although, if Reigns gets programmed as HHH (which is the best idea for Hunter yet) then that may be held off. But it took Helmsley exactly one year to turn on his incarnation of DX and join the Corporation so there's some relevant historical precedence.

I would dig if the Shield became de-facto babyfaces for a few months and THEN Ambrose or Rollins turn on him or whatever. But regardless, I imagine in some way these three are gonna be married to each other for years.

I would imagine that the gimmick sticks around, though. There's too much value (and too much TV time needed to fill) in not having some incarnation The Shield take up 30 to 40 minutes of TV every week.

I don't know if it would be a mistake IF (big if) WWE just lets Roman Reigns act like he does right now without changing at all because he's turned face. 

I see Reigns loading up Superman punches (should be his finisher instead of the spear) and dropkicking guys by jumping from the floor to the apron and I really, really, REALLY want to cheer him.

I also think a Rollins/Ambrose tag team still has lots of potential. I hope that if Reigns splits, he and the other two guys in the Shield go their separate ways and don't end up embroiled in a poorly-booked midcard feud.