DVDVR Message Board

Over the Edge 1999 Arguments

goodhelmet

Nah, they're just as sharp with the tongue as I am with the keyboard. But seriously. Go ask a non wrestling fan for their opinion on the matter, and see if you aren't viewed as a perpetual creep in their eyes from that point forward.

But what if you're already viewed as a perpetual creep?! Does that mean I can't be involved in this lovely discussion about one PPV being on the network out of hundreds? :( NOOOOOOOO.

• Like 1

I'm curious about the Kane/Jericho 1999 debate. Kane had a great year, and, like everything with Jericho, nothing is really aging well.

Also, can we stop calling it a "fake sport" or whatever. We're all very aware what pro-wrestling is. Also, you can ask non-wrestling fans anything about the sport and get outrage. Steroids! Death! Racism! Homophobia! It's all there.

I mean, it's like asking someone that hates football if they think that morally it's wrong to watch football because of the chance of head trauma? Or asking someone that hates racing whether Nascar is inherently racist.  

Should the NFL Network edit Junior Seau suffering concussions from big hits in light of what happened? Isn't that a lot more exploitive and uncaring than an edited event that circumvens an off-camera tragedy.

Why, of all the terrible things that the wrestling industry has done, is an edited PPV that featured an off-camera an accidental death a deal-breaker, or an unfathomable moral transgression?

They'll be plenty of content where they have that pedophile ring announcer on camera? Should he be edited out of sensitivity to his victims?

I mean, I can certainly see both sides, but I don't see how it's possible to feel that strongly that one side is right or wrong.

• Like 3

I'm curious about the Kane/Jericho 1999 debate. Kane had a great year, and, like everything with Jericho, nothing is really aging well.

Yes. Latch on to this. I swear I haven't gotten a ton of traction with it. The whole idea stemmed from whether or not high end indy guys are better off after some time in the WWE, namely because for really decades the talking point within our community was that wrestlers were neutered/ruined by the WWE, and lately, at least around here and a few other places, we feel like the WWE style where selling and pacing are more important is better than a lot of the excesses we see elsewhere.

It rolled back to Jericho's 99 since he received a lot of criticism within the WWF for his style and certainly I and everyone else I knew at the time defended him. I'm pretty sure the backstage word was that they put him with Kane so that they could have Kane show him how to work better, which at the time was probably the most laughable thought ever but looking back... 

Part of that is the question of whether the WWF/WWE style has changed heavily or whether or not we as viewers have changed which is one of my favorite things to examine, but I think it's a really interesting thing to take a look at in and of itself.

Nah, they're just as sharp with the tongue as I am with the keyboard. But seriously. Go ask a non wrestling fan for their opinion on the matter, and see if you aren't viewed as a perpetual creep in their eyes from that point forward.

But what if you're already viewed as a perpetual creep?! Does that mean I can't be involved in this lovely discussion about one PPV being on the network out of hundreds? :( NOOOOOOOO.

The ONE PPV out of Hundreds where someone died? Yes.

Once again, prior to this there was no demand at all for OTE99 to be released. But now that they've decided to do so, everyone has come up with a post-hoc reason as to why it's now acceptable. Where were these demands for it 5, 6, 10 years ago? Sychophants if I ever saw'em.

people are only saying why it's acceptable AFTER someone like you brings up a laundry list of (weird) reasons why it isn't acceptable. And literally the only person making a big deal out of it is you, someone who is against the idea.

No? Read my initial posts, my issue was directly with WWE for posting the PPV, then others chimed in as to why it was acceptable. I don't know what's weird about finding a broadcast where someone died smack dab in the middle of it being available to the public after years of never seeing the light of day a digusting corporate move, but whatever.

How are you defining demand a quick look on YouTube for OTE 99 has a multiple part video ( I think 15 in total) with a range of views between 20k-90k.

Watching something freely available in fragmented pieces on youtube isn't exactly the same as an official WWE release.

Some will hate this comparison but a couple years back I went through YouTube and watched a lot of live news broadcasts from the morning of 9/11. I didn't watch them because I got any kind of pleasure out of it. I was in school that day and didn't get home until around 2:30pm. I had never seen the footage and I felt it interesting and something I should watch to get a better understanding of that day.

As I said..  I'm not going to watch OTE '99 but I could see if someone did simply to get a better understanding of the incident and how it was handled. If you consider yourself a wrestling historian maybe it's important to do so..  I don't know. I just don't think it's as simple to say that person is a creepy and terrible human.

People can be offended by whatever they want, it's your choice. If they don't want to re-live that pay-per-view, they won't watch it. And those who do watch it will be greeted with a preface of what happened with a "favorable spin", and and edited version that will most likely be as respectful as possible to the situation. If there is that much of an outrage over it, it'll get pulled.

How are you defining demand a quick look on YouTube for OTE 99 has a multiple part video ( I think 15 in total) with a range of views between 20k-90k.

Watching something freely available in fragmented pieces on youtube isn't exactly the same as an official WWE release.

Oh so demand can only be in the form of from the WWE no other source can be used to determan demand for something gotcha.

No? Read my initial posts, my issue was directly with WWE for posting the PPV, then others chimed in as to why it was acceptable. I don't know what's weird about finding a broadcast where someone died smack dab in the middle of it being available to the public after years of never seeing the light of day a digusting corporate move, but whatever.

Yeah, you started to complain about why it's a disrespectful and immoral decision, THEN people came in and defended it and gave their reasons why it's a perfectly fine business move. Defending WWE's decision to release Over the Edge always comes after someone bursts into a thread and makes their opinion on it being the wrong move. I don't think the list was released, then everyone just started to come out of the woodwork and give their reasoning as to why it's okay. The list was released, people like you got extremely sensitive and butthurt about the issue, THEN people like me and basically everyone else in this thread chimed in and told you/everyone else why they thought it was okay.

I do adore how you keep coming back into this thread and just pounding your opinion into everyone's head, basically repeating the same thing you've posted over the last 4 pages. Like somehow your argument is going to change anyone's mind that is already made up.

It's not a big deal. Let's all just move on.

Oh so demand can only be in the form of from the WWE no other source can be used to determan demand for something gotcha.

50k anonymous views on youtube isn't the same as fans clamoring for its release in vocal measures.

Yeah, you started to complain about why it's a disrespectful and immoral decision, THEN people came in and defended it and gave their reasons why it's a perfectly fine business move. Defending WWE's decision to release Over the Edge always comes after someone bursts into a thread and makes their opinion on it being the wrong move. I don't think the list was released, then everyone just started to come out of the woodwork and give their reasoning as to why it's okay. The list was released, people like you got extremely sensitive and butthurt about the issue, THEN people like me and basically everyone else in this thread chimed in and told you/everyone else why they thought it was okay.

I do adore how you keep coming back into this thread and just pounding your opinion into everyone's head, basically repeating the same thing you've posted over the last 4 pages. Like somehow your argument is going to change anyone's mind that is already made up.

It's not a big deal. Let's all just move on.

I'm making the same arguments 4 pages in against the same opposing arguments 4 pages in in a thread that was created for this very purpose.

I'd love to find out the opinions of the Hart family regarding this. I'm sure they'll have no problems with it being edited. None at all.

Comparing 9/11, an event that changed the global poltical and economic climate for the past 13 years, to OTE99. I think we've truly reached the limits of the internet here.

If you are a younger fan and passionate about wrestling and you've read about this incident and how it was handled, etc... what's wrong about them watching it for themselves and forming their own opinion?