DVDVR Message Board

Over the Edge 1999 Arguments

goodhelmet

One other problem seen with the Over the Edge 1999 edits made: Should it be edited or not put on the Network? Probably.

Already, there's the small slippery slopes. As said in the network thread- Hawk died from years of drug abuse- should they edit out all the "Hawk relapse-commits suicide" angle from Raw?" If Chris Benoit had went crazy from years of concussions- should his matches be cut out because we know they caused them to happen? 

Those are just the FIRST part of this.

Having said that- does anyone here actually TRUST the WWE with the edits they could make- either by slippery slope or not? 

We KNOW the WWE by now. We know what they'd do. If we know they'd censor Over the Edge 1999, we KNOW that WWE would also go from there to "CM Punk left us? NO CM PUNK MATCH MAKES THE NETWORK UNTIL HE COMES BACK TO THE FOLD!"

Really? We're comparing documentaries on tragic world events to a wrestling PPV where a guy dropped to his death? Come on. Those types of productions are for informative uses, not sports entertainment. I can't believe I have to explain the distinction.

The Benoit comparison isn't even applicable. He didn't committ those acts in the middle of the ring, where the broadcast is now available. IMHO the blackout rule they have for Benoit is absurd.

Can't we watch a wrestling show for historical significance?  Not for title changes or storylines but because it is an extremely bizarre, disturbing, once in a lifetime (we'd hope) situation. Obviously we as humans do have an interest in the tragic but that doesn't mean we take pleasure from it. The idea that everyone who would watch it is doing so to get their sports entertainment snuff film jollies is absurd.

Really? We're comparing documentaries on tragic world events to a wrestling PPV where a guy dropped to his death? Come on. Those types of productions are for informative uses, not sports entertainment. I can't believe I have to explain the distinction.

The Benoit comparison isn't even applicable. He didn't committ those acts in the middle of the ring, where the broadcast is now available. IMHO the blackout rule they have for Benoit is absurd.

Can't we watch a wrestling show for historical significance? Not for title changes or storylines but because it is an extremely bizarre, disturbing, once in a lifetime (we'd hope) situation. Obviously we as humans do have an interest in the tragic but that doesn't mean we take pleasure from it. The idea that everyone who would watch it is doing so to get their sports entertainment snuff film jollies is absurd.

WHY would you want a fake sports show where the only notable event is a man plunging to his death? You're entire statement contradicts itself. "It's historical because of the tragedy involved, but watching it doesn't mean we're getting snuff film jollies from it." What the fuck?

I think, ultimately, the best compromise on this would be to show the main event or at least the finish to the main event and just leave off the rest of the show. It's a WWF Heavyweight Tile change. There's some merit having that available, even if it's just the finish. The second best compromise would be to have all the matches available on an ad hoc basis.

Can't we watch a wrestling show for historical significance? Not for title changes or storylines but because it is an extremely bizarre, disturbing, once in a lifetime (we'd hope) situation. Obviously we as humans do have an interest in the tragic but that doesn't mean we take pleasure from it. The idea that everyone who would watch it is doing so to get their sports entertainment snuff film jollies is absurd.

WHY would you want a fake sports show where the only notable event is a man plunging to his death? You're entire statement contradicts itself. "It's historical because of the tragedy involved, but watching it doesn't mean we're getting snuff film jollies from it." What the fuck?

Nope.  You can watch a tragic event without getting pleasure from the tragedy.  Since you're talking down to everyone I'm sure you're smart enough to understand that.

• Like 1

Has it ever been confirmed that WWE has footage of the fall that didn't air?

Can't we get that through a Freedom of Information Act request? I'm guessing it would have been evidence in the Martha Hart case.

Good thing it happened in 1999 instead of 2014 because everyone with a camera on their mobile phone nowadays would have the "raw footage".  

But WHY would you watch the tragic event in the first place?? You know what happens, what's the point of seeing it??

I'm not "talking down," I'm pointing out how ridiculous everyone sounds who try and justify airing an event where someone died right in the middle of it.

Has it ever been confirmed that WWE has footage of the fall that didn't air?

Can't we get that through a Freedom of Information Act request? I'm guessing it would have been evidence in the Martha Hart case.

Good thing it happened in 1999 instead of 2014 because everyone with a camera on their mobile phone nowadays would have the "raw footage".  

I'm pretty sure video, or at least photos of the fall have been released before - just not by WWE. I have no problem with them making this available to watch on the network. It was a historic show in wrestling history, and not having it available would just raise questions from folks as to why it's not available, so they're bypassing that by just releasing it and saying they'll edit out the Owen stuff - bringing up the issue without having to go any further on a PR level.

But WHY would you watch the tragic event in the first place?? You know what happens, what's the point of seeing it??

I'm not "talking down," I'm pointing out how ridiculous everyone sounds who to try and justify airing an event where someone died right in the middle of it.

I watched it live and of course everything after the fall is a blur.  I was 17 and watching with my cousin and Uncle.  We spent the rest of the show talking about what happened.  I have an interest (and it may be appropriate to say a morbid interest) in seeing that show after all these years.  After years of reading debates over what should have been done (I have always felt they should have stopped the show) i'd like to watch it and see if it sways my opinion.

I tend to think most people who know it's the show Owen died on who choose to watch it would have similar reasons to want to watch.  I don't think most are sitting at home rubbing their hands together saying " boy oh boy I get to see Owen Hart die!" 

I'm not "talking down," I'm pointing out how ridiculous everyone sounds who try and justify airing an event where someone died right in the middle of it.

Then why have a network with every ppv and tv show in WWE/WCW/ECW history. We can simply go to Wikipedia to find out the results?

What's great is that before this, there was never any sort of outcry or demand for WWE to release OTE in any sort of medium, presumably because everyone understood how bad of taste it would be. But now that they've decided to air it, everyone is doing mental backflips to justify their decision. Unfuckingreal.

• Like 1

Nah, they're just as sharp with the tongue as I am with the keyboard. But seriously. Go ask a non wrestling fan for their opinion on the matter, and see if you aren't viewed as a perpetual creep in their eyes from that point forward.

"WWE has decided to release every Pay-Per-View they own on their new network. Unfortunately this includes a pay-per-view where a performer passed away in a freak accident. How would you feel if they released the pay-per-view on their new network, but edited it to be as cautious and sensitive as possible out of respect for the performer, his family, and those affected by his passing?"

• Like 1

Then why have a network with every ppv and tv show in WWE/WCW/ECW history. We can simply go to Wikipedia to find out the results?
I don't know what this means. As I've said before, you can have EVERY PPV EVER except the one single event where an ACTUAL DEATH OCCURS. Is this that hard to understand?

I don't know what this means. As I've said before, you can have EVERY PPV EVER except the one single event where an ACTUAL DEATH OCCURS. Is this that hard to understand?

But Ant isn't talking down to anyone.

I actually wanted to see the X-Pac/Kane vs D-Lo/Mark Henry match a while ago. TWICE. The first was back during D-Lo day and there just aren't a ton of D-Lo/Henry tag matches that went over ten minutes given the crash tv nature of 1998-9 WWF television. That went almost 15 minutes. I hadn't realized it was on this specific PPV and just shrugged when I couldn't find it. The second was when I was trying to figure out if Kane had a better 1999 than Chris Jericho (which would have been the most insane comment ever for someone to make on the internet in 1999 but right now I'm pretty sure it's true). That's when I realized what PPV it was on and yeah, it's floating around youtube if you look hard enough. I didn't get around to actually watching it though. 

Those are some pretty niche reasons to want to watch that PPV mind you.

• Like 1

Nah, they're just as sharp with the tongue as I am with the keyboard. But seriously. Go ask a non wrestling fan for their opinion on the matter, and see if you aren't viewed as a perpetual creep in their eyes from that point forward.

"WWE has decided to release every Pay-Per-View they own on their new network. Unfortunately this includes a pay-per-view where a performer passed away in a freak accident. How would you feel if they released the pay-per-view on their new network, but edited it to be as cautious and sensitive as possible out of respect for the performer, his family, and those affected by his passing?"

Or instead of peppering the statement to put the most favorable spin on it, how about "WWE is airing the PPV where Owen Hart feel to his death, albeit with edits. Your thoughts?"