DVDVR Message Board

Over the Edge 1999 Arguments

goodhelmet

I watched it.  It really wasn't a good PPV, the main event was an overbooked clusterfuck.  But I also have no issue watching matches with Benoit, Snuka, Kensuke Sasaki, Great Kahli, or other events/wrestlers that may make some people feel weird so maybe I am not the best person to judge.  It is not that I am a cold person, it just didn't still resonate with me 15 years later.

I would have completely understood if WWE didn't include Over the Edge since it does have a lot of emotion behind it.  Some people form emotional bonds with wrestlers, I do too, but Owen wasn't one of those wrestlers for me personally.  So I can see where Antacular and Bix are coming from, they are just more extreme in their opinion on it than I am as in the grand scheme of things I don't think it matters if it is included or not. At the time I saw it live it made me uncomfortable to watch the rest of the event knowing someone had just died, now 15 years later it is just another event that happens to have a tragic footnote.

That disclaimer at the beginning was unintentionally funny though and needs to be changed post haste.

One of my best friends tried to watch it Monday morning but he felt sick to his stomach when he got to the Mark Henry & D'Lo Brown tag match.

That is the reason I think some people are tying it to either their memory of it at the time, or because Owen Hart was one of their favorite wrestlers.  Owen hadn't even fallen yet at that point of the PPV, so the wrestlers/announcers still would have been acting normal.

Owen was by no means even close to one of my favorites. I don't think my opinion is "extreme" either, I suspect those who tried to make it seem like watching this would be no big deal don't realize what it'll feel like to actually watch the event, as no one has since it aired.

Owen was by no means even close to one of my favorites. I don't think my opinion is "extreme" either, I suspect those who tried to make it seem like watching this would be no big deal don't realize what it'll feel like to actually watch the event, as no one has since it aired.

Your original talking point wasn't that it was going to be hard for people to watch, it was that anyone who watches it is a horrible person.  I stated that I might watch the show but I'll certainly concede that it will be, at the very least, unsettling.  The backlash against you was because your reaction to people watching this was so over the top many of us thought you were trolling.

One of my best friends tried to watch it Monday morning but he felt sick to his stomach when he got to the Mark Henry & D'Lo Brown tag match.

That was the curtain jerk match. Am I missing something here, because it seems like if he felt that strongly at this point, he would've never bothered with the show.

As most people have said, it wasn't a good ppv even if you don't take Owen into account. The Kane/X-Pac vs. D-Lo/Henry opener was forgettable. Holly vs. Snow was alright, your standard attitude arena hardcore brawl. Holly was pretty fun as he started his "Big Shot" gimmick. Owen was scheduled to be in the third match, and there's a long uncomfortable pause here as you'd expect. The next 3 matches (Val Venis and Nicole Bass vs. Jeff Jarrett and Debra; Road Dogg vs. Billy Gunn; Union vs. Corporate Ministry 8-man) were all noticeably affected by the tragedy, but didn't have much of a chance of being good regardless. That's a terrible lineup any way you slice it. After the 8-man, JR and King had to deliver the bad news. Rock/HHH was decent all things considered, those two had really good chemistry. Austin/Taker sucked, definitely one of Austin's worst efforts from this time frame. These two had a 10-minute match on Raw a couple weeks later (the week before Vince was revealed as the greater power) that ended in a DQ, but smoked this one. This was a poorly laid out match in the worst environment imaginable and had a shitty ending on top of everything. 

Sadly, the Owen tragedy is the only notable thing about this show. If you wanna watch a decent ppv from peak attitude in 1999, stick with St. Valentine's Day Massacre, Backlash, or Fully Loaded.