DVDVR Message Board

Over the Edge 1999 Arguments

goodhelmet

Again, as I said before regarding the "EVERY PPV EVER" claim, if you have an issue with them airing EVERY PPV EVER **EXCEPT** for the one single event where A GUY DIED RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING BROADCAST, then there is no hope for you.

I'll even argue that it's a shadier move than releasing The Crow, at least from a business perspective. Difference being that The Crow was a sunk costs, the studio might as well go through with its release (I don't agree with the move, but I understand it from a profit perspective). Whereas, again, there's ZERO financial incentives for OTE being put up. They wouldn't lose a dollar of revenue from not putting it up.

Okay, here's my stance.

I am disappointed they chose to put it on the network but I can see why they did. I think they wanted to avoid the THEY SAID EVERYTHING! crowd and just edit it, put it up and hopefully it wouldn't receive much attention.

Obviously they were wrong.. it's still receiving a ton of attention but unlike some other posters I do not feel it was WWE's intention to profit from Owen's death nor do I feel someone is terrible for watching the show (I won't be watching it) because maybe they really did love The Union angle.. Maybe they really do want to see the title change.. there are numerous reasons and I'm not about to pick the brain of a million subscribers.

• Like 1

I think people who went to college should decide if the rest of us mere mortals can handle it.

Maybe if you had gone to a class or two, you'd realize my point isn't whether a viewer "can handle it," but that its tasteless for them to do so in the first place. Judging actions and prohibiting actions are two different things.

I truly think that the number of people who want to see it for any reason other than watching someone die are limited to under a few hundred people or less.

I would argue there are people who want to watch it so they can further criticize how WWE handled the rest of the broadcast and post those thoughts on their blog. The problem with that is the show and how WWE handled the aftermath has been picked apart for 15 years... 

I truly think that the number of people who want to see it for any reason other than watching someone die are limited to under a few hundred people or less.

Here's what I don't get, no one will see him die...it never made air. So unless the edit the WWE puts in is to show unseen footage. no one will see the death.

This is such a circular argument.

However, I will say that people would only click on it out of morbid curiousity isn't a provable claim. I think we're assuming that every subscriber is going to be hyper-aware of wrestling history. Not the case. I'm sure many will probably remember he died, but probably won't remember the name of the PPV, or even remember that it was on PPV.

But besides, saying that people would only watch it out of some sick fetish to watch a show where  a guy died is akin to saying people ONLY want to watch Benoit matches because they really dig him becoming a psychopath.

• Like 1

I honest to god thought antacular was trolling in the other thread.  I don't really see the big deal about watching it.  How many documentaries are made about war or tragedies like 9/11?  When I watch those it's not out of some perverse need to see people die or revel in the tragic.  I'll probably watch the show in the same way, remembering an awful event and trying to get further perspective on it.

• Like 4

I honest to god thought antacular was trolling in the other thread.

Oh, I'm sure he was. Which is why, if you hadn't noticed, I'm not taking his posts seriously. I recommend you do the same.

Personally, I have zero interest in the show and if they had left it off, I'd understand.

Really? We're comparing documentaries on tragic world events to a wrestling PPV where a guy dropped to his death? Come on. Those types of productions are for informative uses, not sports entertainment. I can't believe I have to explain the distinction.

The Benoit comparison isn't even applicable. He didn't committ those acts in the middle of the ring, where the broadcast is now available. IMHO the blackout rule they have for Benoit is absurd.

Comparing The Crow to Over The Edge makes no sense. Brandon Lee poured his heart and soul into that movie trying to make it a masterpiece and would have probably been pissed if it didn't make it whereas Owen Hart was doing some stupid angle as he waited for his contract to expire.

I remember the PPV, they didn't show him falling and later in the night reported he had died during a failed stunt, it is tragic but as someone mentioned, it isn't like they are going to show him fall to his death. They said they were going to put up every Pay-Per-View and this was one of their Pay-Per-View's so why argue about it?

"EVERY PPV" isn't set in stone from the peak of Mount Sinai.

I suggest everyone who doesn't think it's a scumbag move on behalf of WWE go ask someone for their opinion of the matter who doesn't give two shits about professional wrestling. Because the several I have all thought I was bullshitting on account of how ridiculous this all is.