DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

I'm one of the very few who loved both JBL & HHH reigns running Raw and SDL, two favorite heel runs of that decade.  Even though it was sudden, thought JBL fit in to the role and spot on the card perfectly. All the matches delivered including the fun little TV stuff like the series with Hardcore Holly, the cage match with Eddie, etc. in addition to the PPV mains. Always loved the clever heel ways of coming out on top, especially the barbed wire cage vs. Big Show. Something I loved later on about Bobby Roode's TNA title run, always coming out on top in unique heel ways. Made JBL a top heel for the next several years, unfortunately the same did not work out for Jinder who's run I also enjoyed more than most.

18 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I'm one of the very few who loved both JBL & HHH reigns running Raw and SDL, two favorite heel runs of that decade.  Even though it was sudden, thought JBL fit in to the role and spot on the card perfectly. All the matches delivered including the fun little TV stuff like the series with Hardcore Holly, the cage match with Eddie, etc. in addition to the PPV mains. Always loved the clever heel ways of coming out on top, especially the barbed wire cage vs. Big Show. Something I loved later on about Bobby Roode's TNA title run, always coming out on top in unique heel ways. Made JBL a top heel for the next several years, unfortunately the same did not work out for Jinder who's run I also enjoyed more than most.

Well not all the matches. Lest we forget the Undertaker match.

But I did love his run. Great character, presentation and delivery. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

JBL was like if the Jinder run had worked. I was so pissed try moved the belt from Eddy to that clown, but he won me over.

Face is about to win, Singh Bros. interfere, Face disposes of Singhs, Jinder hits his shitty cobra clutch slam. 

That's a summation of the end of every single title defense Jinder had. 

14 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Face is about to win, Singh Bros. interfere, Face disposes of Singhs, Jinder hits his shitty cobra clutch slam. 

That's a summation of the end of every single title defense Jinder had. 

Oh I definitely wasn't won over by Jinder. I'm saying JBL was an example of that kind of thing working, unlike Mahal

Edited by Brian Fowler

Jinder never had a Cena, or Eddie bloodbath either. Dude coasted on cheap heat his whole reign. Had a nice entrance, and good facials, but it all fell apart as soon as the bell rang. What a waste of a few months to draw a thousand flies, and 50 fans in a country with 50 trillion people who could give a shit.

• Like 1

I still think they cut Cena’s legs off in that Wrestlemania title match vs JBL - they had him come out to new music (resulting in a muted pop), and JBL controlled the majority of the match to little heat.

• Like 1

The JBL reign also occured in an era where the booking was infinitely better than when Jinder was champion. If creative was actually creative the Mahal reign could've been alot more than the boring repetitive bs that his title matches were.

• Like 3

Jinder's reign sucked due to reasons that were almost entirely out of his control, and he was and still is mercilessly shit on for it. It wasn't his booking, they weren't his promos, he didn't lay out the matches. He isn't a bad wrestler. He's just kind of there. But just because it wasn't a Nakamura (he's the Eddy stand-in for this example) title reign where he's undefeated and kills everyone for a year to build up to AJ Styles, it became "Jinder Mahal: Worst Wrestler Ever."

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Jinder's reign sucked due to reasons that were almost entirely out of his control, and he was and still is mercilessly shit on for it. It wasn't his booking, they weren't his promos, he didn't lay out the matches. He isn't a bad wrestler. He's just kind of there. But just because it wasn't a Nakamura (he's the Eddy stand-in for this example) title reign where he's undefeated and kills everyone for a year to build up to AJ Styles, it became "Jinder Mahal: Worst Wrestler Ever."

Any great Jinder WWE Main Event matches you can recommend?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Any great Jinder WWE Main Event matches you can recommend?

30 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

He isn't a bad wrestler. He's just kind of there.

You leave me with little choice but to again politely encourage you to read my posts before you decide to reply to them.

Well there are an army of agents in the back. If none of them can get anything out of you when laying out a match, then you aren’t a “kind of there” guy, you’re just “bad”. You can’t salvage something like that. Regardless, yes the booking is bad, and with the right booking a guy who never had the ability shouldn’t have been the top heel of a weekly program out of nowhere. If the company was better run on the production side, there would be 20 guys who should’ve been up for that part way before Jinder. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well there are an army of agents in the back. If none of them can get anything out of you when laying out a match, then you aren’t a “kind of there” guy, you’re just “bad”.

Which matches, specifically, were terrible ones *because of something Jinder did*? Which spots, specifically, did Jinder blow? What did he do that was not exactly what he was told to do?

16 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Which matches, specifically, were terrible ones *because of something Jinder did*? Which spots, specifically, did Jinder blow? What did he do that was not exactly what he was told to do?

Do I need to find botches? Because every wrestler has one, even the best. If you are looking for bad Jinder matches then look at all the ones he had with Orton, and Hardy.

What did he do that was not exactly what he was told to do?”

Why should I tell you? Don’t you hate speculation of things backstage we don’t know about?  

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

13 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Why, specifically, were those bad matches, and why, specifically, is that all Jinder's fault?

He’s bad at filling out the body of a singles match when he’s in control, and only knows the basic hokey stuff he was taught. It wasn’t just when he was in a top spot, but also when they decided to move him into a gatekeeper mid-card spot, and that turned out bad too. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

And if we are removing agency from all WWE wrestlers, then nothing is worth praising or criticizing other than the behind-the-curtain staff. His delivery in both promos and matches was not good. For a colossal human being, he has little presence. I think most fans recognized Nakamura for what he was well before that point, and while it would've been neat to see him go from strength to strength after winning the Rumble in hopes of him maybe turning it around in terms of effort and output I don't think there were many around that were super high on him at that point. Still, anybody would've been better than Jinder at that stage.

Randy Orton, for as much shit as he gets for milking it and most of it deservedly so, busted his ass to get Jinder over in that series of matches. There's also a difference between comparing a midcard lifer like JBL getting a huge main event push and a guy who hadn't won a match in like a year before they started the big push and had never been anything in WWE but the third guy in a jobber comedy act. They originally let him go for a reason.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He’s bad at filling out the body of a singles match when he’s in control, and only knows the basic hokey stuff he was taught. It wasn’t just when he was in a top spot, but also when they decided to move him into a gatekeeper mid-card spot, and that turned out bad too. 

I know you saw me say specifically three times.

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I think most fans recognized Nakamura for what he was well before that point, and while it would've been neat to see him go from strength to strength after winning the Rumble in hopes of him maybe turning it around in terms of effort and output I don't think there were many around that were super high on him at that point. Still, anybody would've been better than Jinder at that stage.

I think your timeline is off here. Jinder won the title like a month after Nak's main roster debut and lost it before Nak won the Rumble. Not that it matters all that much - if people weren't wanting Nak, they would have wanted Styles. I just don't see how he was egregiously terrible. He's a boring, mediocre wrestler who was The Wrong Guy and he got crucified for it. Jinder's been fine enough before in some spots (3MB, the recent 24/7 stuff). There are main roster wrestlers that are far worse.

55 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

There are main roster wrestlers that are far worse.

Name one.

200.gif

I stand corrected. Name Five.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lars comes off as a terrifying neanderthal with real presence. No Way Jose is the perfect house show/opener guy, which is more than I can say about Jinder. Nia is the only one that's received any semblance of a push though and I think there have been several good Nia Jax matches (almost exclusively with Asuka). She also at least partially got over. I dunno.

Edited by Oyaji