DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

On 9/6/2017 at 11:04 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe Razor would have gotten a title reign if Vince ever got around to seeing Scarface.

In 2022, Vince will finally hit 1983 in his quest to catch up with popular culture.  At that time he'll be like, "GOD DAMMIT PAL WE NEED A CHARACTER LIKE THAT"

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

It's possible that Warrior gets the title back if he does have the Rumble match with Bret. They run Warrior/Yokozuna and then maybe a rematch between Bret and Bulldog at Wrestlemania. 

Bret said he was told he was suppose to face Warrior at I think the Rumble and win cleanly by submission. But even he seemed skeptical about it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I always wondered if the fan reaction would be different at Bash 1991 if Flair put Barry Windham over at the TV taping before the PPV before he leaves WCW.  Obviously it would be crapped on by hardcore fans, but is the "We Want Flair" still a thing even with the fans witnessing Flair lose the belt before leaving the company? I also wonder if they still go the same route of having Luger go heel or would he get the big babyface win over Barry?

On 9/9/2017 at 2:17 PM, ivpvideos said:

I can't see Warrior ever losing cleanly by submission. I just realized how weird a Warrior vs Lex Luger match would have been so now I wish there was an alternative universe where that happened

The only way Bret would have gone over Warrior is with an injury angle. I can't see Warrior ever agreeing to a submission finish. Thst would go completely against his character.

I can't imagine Warrior giving Bret enough offense, and then selling Bret's moves to make a submission finish seem credible.  I feel like you'd practically have to book Warrior to slip on a banana peel and fall into the Sharpshooter, then still do some sort of screwy finish..

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I assume you have Warrior in the Beefcake role, and Hogan/Warrior face Money Inc?

Now that you mention it, maybe randy Savage is kept on the active roster and they go with him and Warrior against Money Inc with them taking the tag straps. 

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I can't imagine Warrior giving Bret enough offense, and then selling Bret's moves to make a submission finish seem credible.  I feel like you'd practically have to book Warrior to slip on a banana peel and fall into the Sharpshooter, then still do some sort of screwy finish..

Luger debuts at the Rumble, and knocks out Warrior with the forearm, Bret beats Warrior with the sharpshooter whilst unconscious.

Luger/Warrior.....which then requires Flair sticking around and you do the RAW Loser Leaves Town at Mania.

22 hours ago, evidence said:

I always wondered if the fan reaction would be different at Bash 1991 if Flair put Barry Windham over at the TV taping before the PPV before he leaves WCW.  Obviously it would be crapped on by hardcore fans, but is the "We Want Flair" still a thing even with the fans witnessing Flair lose the belt before leaving the company? I also wonder if they still go the same route of having Luger go heel or would he get the big babyface win over Barry?

Windham was nowhere near sniffing distance of the upper card at the time.  To illustrate, remember that he was originally booked in a midcard mixed tag freakshow match for the card.  I doubt they could have heated him up fast enough for all that to work out.  The show had been promoted as Flair/Luger for so long that nobody would have bought a midcarder being hotshotted to the top like that.  

I was there and man, was it a shitshow.  I have no idea why they didn't rebook the whole show as a tournament or at least put someone credible like Sting in the main vs. Luger.  Not that it wouldn't have mattered.  From what I can remember, there was no time to promote anything different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I always wondered if a phantom change wasn't out of the question. The sheets and RSPW would've been the only ones who would've caught on that there wasn't an actual title change. Either that or claim that Luger won the title via forfeit and would be defending for the first time at that PPV instead.

Sure, but would there have been that much concern about a phantom title change? Or going on TV and acknowledging that Flair is leaving (which WCW did do), say that Luger was signed to wrestle for the title but since the match was no longer happening, he was being awarded the title? That would've made his heel turn more natural, since you can play up that he didn't actually beat anyone for the belt. It would've also made an easier path for Windham to step in and challenge for the title by having him take offense to being handed the title, and he challenges Luger. Maybe shoot a quick angle where he pins Luger in a non-title match to justify giving him the shot.

Right. That's what I was saying. Either that or what I laid out gave them two options, and they chose option C (shoot self in foot).

They should've awarded the title to Luger to start the PPV, followed by a battle royal to determine his opponent for the main event. Have Sting win, defeat Koloff in a long match (maybe have Sting injured by a post match attack with the Russian chain) and have him face a fresh Luger to end the show. Luger wins with the help of his new associates Race and Hughes. Cue Sting's chase to Superbrawl.

They should started the show saying Flair was most likely not going to appear but he would get til the end of the night to defend against Luger. End of the night Luger comes out and runs down Flair as a coward and the Horsemen by extension which brings out Windham and they have a title match. That hopefully shifts the heat from the company to Luger.