DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were saying that. My bad.

I just don't know that things would have turned out all that differently had the Arsenio Hall appearance gone better. I think that most of what happened would have happened anyway.

I'm saying that the Arsenio Hall appearance never happens, whether it goes good or bad doesn't matter.

Hogan only appears on the show to fight allegations of steroid abuse as a result of Zahorian getting arrested.

If Zahorian doesn't get arrested, then Hogan still has time to play Johnny B Goode at the Enchantment Under The Sea dance.

AWA didn't have the exposure WWF had. WWF would have just rolled with Snuka or someone else.

But Snuka, or Savage, or Steamboat -- none of them could have been The Guy the way Hogan was. And without the WWF behind him, Hogan would never have amounted to the same thing either. Separately, neither Vince nor Hogan would have had the impact they had together.

What if, in the absence of Hogan, Vince turns to another tall well-built blonde with a patriotic gimmick, who also happens to be younger and more athletic than Hogan?

07.jpg

They tried with Danny Spivey. It didn't work.

What if The Outsiders went to ECW instead of WCW?

What if Vince McMahon DID sell to Turner in 1997 as McMahon has stated in the past? TNA would be the number one promotion in the company by default? Would Vince try wrestling again or just move on? What would happen to the WCW/WWE tape library if/when WCW closes down in 2001?

...What if Hulk Hogan played Marty McFly in Back To The Future? It's got all the Hulk movie staples - women who can't resist his charm for no apparent reason. Hamfisted opportunities to show off his bass licks. And hopefully the Iron Shiek recast as a Libyan.

This might be the best post I've ever read.

What if Vince McMahon DID sell to Turner in 1997 as McMahon has stated in the past? TNA would be the number one promotion in the company by default? Would Vince try wrestling again or just move on? What would happen to the WCW/WWE tape library if/when WCW closes down in 2001?

There's a Kayfabe Commentaries Guest Booker DVD where Raven books The Outsiders in ECW. I watched a little of it. It's a little hard because Raven doesn't have a very vivid memory of 1996 ECW. I still have to finish it.

I think that a bit of a jump in logic that if Vince sells in '97 that by '01 WCW still goes under.

AWA didn't have the exposure WWF had. WWF would have just rolled with Snuka or someone else.

But Snuka, or Savage, or Steamboat -- none of them could have been The Guy the way Hogan was. And without the WWF behind him, Hogan would never have amounted to the same thing either. Separately, neither Vince nor Hogan would have had the impact they had together.

What if, in the absence of Hogan, Vince turns to another tall well-built blonde with a patriotic gimmick, who also happens to be younger and more athletic than Hogan?

07.jpg

More than the "Windham didn't have Hogan's larger-than-life persona", more specifically, Windham wasn't ALREADY famous. Make no mistake, Rocky III was a bigger part of Hogan being a face for Vince to build around simply because he was already one of the most famous wrestlers in the world, getting him that credibility to mix "wrestling" and "celebrity" that pretty much NO other guy in the WWF could have matched in the 1980s (the only guy who could have matched that for WWF was Sgt. Slaughter- and even he needed a year or so to REALLY become SGT.SLAUGHTER.) 

• Like 1

If Zahorien doesn't get busted, then Hogan probably wins the title from Flair at WM8 instead of shifting over to the mini-fued with Sid and that awesome Savage/Flair fued doesn't happen...  Warrior sill comes back, but Hogan with the belt probably means that Bret never gets it, or gets it later.  Yoko never sees the belt, as he basically becomes Hogan's next monster to slay.   The timeline on Hogan jumping to WCW depends on if he decides to take himself off the House show schedule the way he did around WM9.

Even if he still takes the time off after WM8, the way he handled the post WM9 shit would still have Vince finally saying enough and sending him packing, and everything turns out the same. 

If Zahorien doesn't get busted, then Hogan probably wins the title from Flair at WM8 instead of shifting over to the mini-fued with Sid and that awesome Savage/Flair fued doesn't happen...  Warrior sill comes back, but Hogan with the belt probably means that Bret never gets it, or gets it later.  Yoko never sees the belt, as he basically becomes Hogan's next monster to slay.   The timeline on Hogan jumping to WCW depends on if he decides to take himself off the House show schedule the way he did around WM9.

Even if he still takes the time off after WM8, the way he handled the post WM9 shit would still have Vince finally saying enough and sending him packing, and everything turns out the same. 

You probably get Hogan/Warrior II, a Sid/Savage feud, maybe Flair/Hennig moves forward in the timeline to after Mania. A three way dance of Warrior, Hogan and Savage would have been interesting.

Hmm - just looked it up. Never realized Hogan and Savage tagged again after the break up of the Mega Powers in the WWF...

1 29.03.1992 1.gif Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage defeat Ric Flair & Sid Justice by DQ
WWF House Show @ Auburn Hills Palace in Auburn Hills, Michigan, USA
House Show

What happens if Verne somehow convinces Hogan to stay with the AWA and he doesn't jump to the WWF?  I tend to think he'd end up in the WWF at some point, but what if he doesn't?  He probably becomes a Flair-level  draw, but maybe never becomes "THE HULKSTER, BROTHER".  Does WWF plug someone else into his slot and still crosses over into the pop culture mainstream?  Without Hogan, the past 30 years in the industry could play out vastly differently.

Most importantly, if Hogan never goes to the WWF, does Brutus Beefcake still get repackaged as the Booty Man?

Only way Verne convinces Hogan to stay was to but the belt on him, which went against Verne's "Strong Heel Champion with faces always chasing" booking.  And Verne probably doesn't book Hogan the way Vince would, and loses alot of the steam Hogan had going.

Although it would make the talent raid that Vince hits AWA with in 88ish a hell of a lot harder.

Only way Verne convinces Hogan to stay was to but the belt on him, which went against Verne's "Strong Heel Champion with faces always chasing" booking.  And Verne probably doesn't book Hogan the way Vince would, and loses alot of the steam Hogan had going.

Although it would make the talent raid that Vince hits AWA with in 88ish a hell of a lot harder.

Hogan says that Verne offered him the title, but he also wanted part of Hogan's NJPW money. Hogan said no, of course.

It's rare, but I actually believe Hogan in this case.

Hogan says that Verne offered him the title, but he also wanted part of Hogan's NJPW money. Hogan said no, of course.

It's rare, but I actually believe Hogan in this case.

Yeah, that sounds like something Verne would do.

What if the plane ride from hell never happened?  It's not that major of an incident compared to a lot of things mentioned, but my fantasy booking had it not happened involved Curt Hennig getting a brief run as a transitional World champ.

I sincerely doubt anything major changes from the plane ride from hell. The nWo in WWE was flailing badly to begin with, and Scott Hall likely wouldn't have changed it any more than he did. As far as Hennig being a transitional World Champion- considering that a few weeks before the Plane Ride from Hell happened, he was having the Perfect-Plex kicked out of at 1 counts (albeit to Big Show, but still), That kind of says he was never going to do more than be a Heat jobber in WWE. 

What if the plane ride from hell never happened?  It's not that major of an incident compared to a lot of things mentioned, but my fantasy booking had it not happened involved Curt Hennig getting a brief run as a transitional World champ.

I sincerely doubt anything major changes from the plane ride from hell. The nWo in WWE was flailing badly to begin with, and Scott Hall likely wouldn't have changed it any more than he did. As far as Hennig being a transitional World Champion- considering that a few weeks before the Plane Ride from Hell happened, he was having the Perfect-Plex kicked out of at 1 counts (albeit to Big Show, but still), That kind of says he was never going to do more than be a Heat jobber in WWE. 

Assuming the plane ride from hell never happened, they could've at least given him a European title run or some shit.

I think Hogan stays and runs out of gas as champion around the time Magnum has his car accident.

Hogan comes in to avenge TA and feuds with Koloff.

Mania still happens but with the Sammartinos vs. Savage and Ventura headlining, and Piper/T as the co-main.

The team of Savage/Ventura was so insane that it was doomed to never last. But man just thinking about that. Put the tag titles on Savage/Ventura and they defend against Bruno/David. Bruno/David win by DQ or something.

Piper/T as the headline match of Wrestlemania 1. While the heat in MSG would have been deafening, I'm not sure that would have helped carry the company.

Who would be World Champion during this time? Piper? It would be interesting to think about Piper as World Champion and him holding and then defending the title till at least Wrestlemania 2. I'd imagine Wrestlemania 2 would not take place in three different venues. Maybe they hold it in Philadelphia or The Meadowlands.

Piper vs. a face Orndorf for the title at WM2?

I think Hogan stays and runs out of gas as champion around the time Magnum has his car accident.

Mania still happens but with the Sammartinos vs. Savage and Ventura headlining, and Piper/T as the co-main.

The team of Savage/Ventura was so insane that it was doomed to never last. But man just thinking about that. Put the tag titles on Savage/Ventura and they defend against Bruno/David. Bruno/David win by DQ or something.

Piper/T as the headline match of Wrestlemania 1. While the heat in MSG would have been deafening, I'm not sure that would have helped carry the company.

Who would be World Champion during this time? Piper? It would be interesting to think about Piper as World Champion and him holding and then defending the title till at least Wrestlemania 2. I'd imagine Wrestlemania 2 would not take place in three different venues. Maybe they hold it in Philadelphia or The Meadowlands.

Piper vs. a face Orndorf for the title at WM2?

Would Mr T in the WWF have even happened without Hogan?

Hogan vs Nikita would have been quite a dynamic program in the mid-80s, whether in JCP/NWA or in WWF. What if Nikita had gone up north after the Magnum car crash? Would Nikita/Hogan have been a big enough draw to pull in "93,000" into the Silverdome for Wrestlemania III?