DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

I've never bought the "humiliate Dusty" stuff. Tons of mic time, awesome entrance music, decent push for a 40+ year old guy. If Vince wanted to bury him, he would have. Or he would have never brought him in in the first place.

I think a Dusty/Hogan team would have been difficult to pull off in time for the SummerSlam 89 main event. Although Dusty was over from the moment he debuted, I don't think there was any way the WWF could have anticipated that happening. 

Except for the fact that Dusty got over wherever he went. The problem with a Dusty/Hogan team you really get is who turns? When and how?

I've never bought the "humiliate Dusty" stuff. Tons of mic time, awesome entrance music, decent push for a 40+ year old guy. If Vince wanted to bury him, he would have. Or he would have never brought him in in the first place.

Not to mention merch - I definitely remember Dusty polka dot notebooks and folders and trapper keepers and stuff when I went back to school shopping for the 1st grade.

I think a Dusty/Hogan team would have been difficult to pull off in time for the SummerSlam 89 main event. Although Dusty was over from the moment he debuted, I don't think there was any way the WWF could have anticipated that happening. 

Except for the fact that Dusty got over wherever he went. The problem with a Dusty/Hogan team you really get is who turns? When and how?

I know that, but I'm not sure Vince realized that. At least, I don't know if Vince could have anticipated Dusty being so over upon debuting that he could be put right into the SummerSlam main event.

Oh man, how good would a Dusty/Hulk team have been at Summerslam 89?! Dusty face in-peril hot tag to Hogan would've popped HUGE. And the dancing/posedown at the end of the match would've been GLORIOUS

• Like 1

What if Vince's original idea for Wrestlemania 26 happens and we get McIntrye-Undertaker, Miz-HBK, and HHH-Sheamus instead? Does Michaels stick around another year or does he actually get retired by Miz?

I think like Angle mentioned when he first went on Tough Enough, it more or less was about not liking pro wrestling at the time more than anything. He mentions WWE offering him a big contract after the 96 Olympics (Which makes sense considering they gave Mark Henry a big contract) and he turned it down, leading him to not getting into the business until 98-99. I don't think ECW realistically ever had a chance of bringing him in and I'm not sure why he was at their show in the first place but I wasn't there, I wouldn't know haha.

Kurt Angle in ECW would've been an unmitigated personal disaster for him. We already know about Kurt's desire to go out and put on the best performance of the night. Imagine if he had to compete with what ECW was doing at the time. He'd probably be dead now. 

And Angle's reaction to the crucifixion angle always seemed fishy to me. He seemingly had no problem with Austin being crucified by The Undertaker.

Dusty himself has said that Vince told him to have fun, and leave behind all the stress of running a company. And that he did at first feel that the polka dots were intended to be a rib , but he said "Have you seen the shit I wore in the Seventies? I'll get the polka dots over." And he did.
  • Like 1

Dusty had more charisma per pound than basically all but a few wrestlers in history, so he could get just about anything over.

One what if- what if Kerry,Kevin, and David Von Erich all got caught by the Texas Cops with enough drugs to land them each in prison for 5 years?

I assume their careers could recover, but World Class wouldn't, and might save some lives.

One what if- what if Kerry,Kevin, and David Von Erich all got caught by the Texas Cops with enough drugs to land them each in prison for 5 years?

I assume their careers could recover, but World Class wouldn't, and might save some lives.

We would have had Lance, Klaus and Rick Von Erich a lot sooner.

Fritz would have pinned the Freebirds with planting the contraband on his boys, and take up mail in donations from fans in order to fund the boys appeal and attorneys fees. This would have initiated the genesis of what Kickstarter would later become.

• Like 4

Bruce Pritchard had an interesting what if during his Guest Book interview on a big star coming to WWF in late 1997, early 1998 that I had never heard before. He says talks were serious, but who knows.