DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Feinstein's being caught forced him out and ROH really stepped it up to another level immediately after, I think is the point. For what it's worth I don't think ROH has been awesome since it first got a TV deal, but I do wonder if it would have been as strong '04-'08 with RF at the helm.

What if WCW had been able to lure away Jim Hellwig to be revealed as the Black Scorpion?

What if WCW had been able to lure away Jim Hellwig to be revealed as the Black Scorpion?

Then the Starrcade '90 main event would have been even worse than it was.  On the other hand, the Horsemen-Doom feud would probably have continued.

What if they don't turn Hogan heel, but instead give him a Malibu Stacy makeover, give him a new hat, a nose ring, Luna Vachon for a valet, and get Stiff Little Fingers to record "Alternative Hulkster" for his entrance music?

Goes over like a fart in church. Hogan asks for his release, and spends the rest of his days on Celebrity Squares.....or maybe invents the Foreman Grill before Foreman does......or collaborates with Metallica on Reload or something. More likely - probably returns to the WWF and avenges his loss to Yokozuna, and has Bret Hart as his little buddy in a series of tag matches against Shawn and Nash before going away again.

WCW without Hogan, not just as part of the NWO, but the 2 years proceeding is a completely different landscape.

I think hes talking about Feinstein and the Perverted Justice sting. 

I got that, but the way he phrased it with "Would it be anywhere near the awesome company it is now?" makes it sound like the company is currently in their prime when I thought the consensus that their best run was immediately post-Feinstein through 2007.

What if they don't turn Hogan heel, but instead give him a Malibu Stacy makeover, give him a new hat, a nose ring, Luna Vachon for a valet, and get Stiff Little Fingers to record "Alternative Hulkster" for his entrance music?

Goes over like a fart in church. Hogan asks for his release, and spends the rest of his days on Celebrity Squares.....or maybe invents the Foreman Grill before Foreman does......or collaborates with Metallica on Reload or something. More likely - probably returns to the WWF and avenges his loss to Yokozuna, and has Bret Hart as his little buddy in a series of tag matches against Shawn and Nash before going away again.

WCW without Hogan, not just as part of the NWO, but the 2 years proceeding is a completely different landscape.

I think WCW without Hogan still exists today. I know he helped really turn business around from 1994-1998, but I think the top of their card pre-Hogan could have carried the company. Hogan in WCW never fit save for an Invasion angle, and I'd like to live a world where WCW is around as a legit WWE alternative (and I believe there is still a market for a WWE alternative).

I think WCW still dies in 2001 due to the merger anyway, if not sooner.

No Hogan in WCW = Dustin Rhodes, Foley, Austin all probably never leave WCW. Maybe Triple H also.

Be weird if there's no Stone Cold, but WWF go ahead with their Attitude era push and hire the Sandman as the face of the company instead...

I got that, but the way he phrased it with "Would it be anywhere near the awesome company it is now?" makes it sound like the company is currently in their prime when I thought the consensus that their best run was immediately post-Feinstein through 2007.

ROH is nowhere near what it was back between 2004-2008, but it's world's better than the so-called Big Two.

Gotcha. The last ROH show I watched/attended was Final Battle 08. I don't recognize most of the names on the current roster and the buzz seems to be gone, but glad to hear they're still putting out a quality product.

Ha, definitely don't disagree it's an awful match. But since Warrior was crazy-over in WWF (at least, that's how I remember it. I was a little kid and just getting into wrestling) seems like that could have been a big enough coup to get WCW some new fans.

He was very carry able in that period, as Rude, Hogan and Savage would attest. Not sure Sting could have pulled three stars out of him at that point. Sting was always better when the weaker of a pair. Not saying he didn't have his moments, but warrior in 1990 would have been a hella job to pull off. . . .

ROH is nowhere near what it was back between 2004-2008, but it's world's better than the so-called Big Two.

ROH today is better than WWE today? Is that what you're saying?

Worse than that. He's saying it's better than NXT! (I'm assuming that's the #2 in Big Two now, right?)
  • Like 1

What if The Great Sasuke hadn't gone and got himself fired right before he was set to win the WWF Light Heavyweight title? Does Vince maybe not completely lose interest in the division quite as fast?

Worse than that. He's saying it's better than NXT! (I'm assuming that's the #2 in Big Two now, right?)

To me, NXT is just WWE in training and it's sports entertainment. They throw real wrestling fans a bone every once in a while, but other than that it's just training for WWE style.

The RF thing caused TNA to pull their talent and left Gabe scrambling to fill those slots. To do so he brought in Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Jack Evans & Alex Shelley to form Generation Next. Without the RF thing, they probably wouldn't have been pushed so hard out of the gate.

RF probably would have had to sell to Cary at some point anyways when the money dried up.

• Like 1

Then the Starrcade '90 main event would have been even worse than it was.  On the other hand, the Horsemen-Doom feud would probably have continued.

This has gotta be one of those bullshit Scott Keith rumours right? No way in hell Warrior comes into WCW at his peak and as a heel

I can understand not liking Raw because it's too "sports entertainment" or whatever, but NXT is presented much differently than Raw. Feels much more like modernized traditional wrestling if that makes any sense.

This has gotta be one of those bullshit Scott Keith rumours right? No way in hell Warrior comes into WCW at his peak and as a heel

I think it was WCW trying to get people think it was warrior, with that 1986 California bullshit. . . 

• Like 1