DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Here’s a what if directly from the source.

jeff Van Camp told me on the new pod that instead of going to Mid South in 1985, he could have gone to Crockett instead. 

We could have had Lord Humongous in 85/86 JCP. Hopefully not just in Paul Jones army. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

What if Vince and the WWF Steroid trial never happened? Would Warrior and Davey never have left? Would Bret never have been champ?  Would Shawn ever have received his monster push? We probably still get Diesel, but he is probably working Sid who also may or may not have stuck around. 

That's an interesting one.  I think the most intriguing "what-ifs" for WWE are when things that forced Vince's hand don't happen.  As we've seen in the last 20 years, he won't change much if he doesn't have to.  I think you're right that Bret and Shawn probably suffer the most.  They'd probably peak at the IC "good worker championship" level.  There are a lot of dominos that fall if that happens.  If Austin comes in and doesn't have main event-level Bret to feud with, who knows if he really takes off.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

What if Vince and the WWF Steroid trial never happened? Would Warrior and Davey never have left? Would Bret never have been champ?  Would Shawn ever have received his monster push? We probably still get Diesel, but he is probably working Sid who also may or may not have stuck around. 

Warrior was going to Warrior so he'd be gone by the end of 1992 no matter what. Maybe Davey Boy beats Flair instead of Bret? The biggest reason I don't think it would happen is his drug issues, I can see the road agents who had to know what Davey Boy was up to telling Vince he's not reliable enough to put the belt on. Having someone younger and reliable were some of the reasons they went with Bret, so maybe he still gets the belt and things don't change that much. But! Say they put the belt on Davey as a test with the idea he drops it back to Flair when his eardrum issue clears up, could that have led to Luger debuting as a face at Royal Rumble then beating champ Flair at WMIX? Have Yokozuna be Luger's first big feud and if Lex doesn't get over as champ we end up with Bret as champ later in 1993.

21 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Warrior was going to Warrior so he'd be gone by the end of 1992 no matter what. Maybe Davey Boy beats Flair instead of Bret? The biggest reason I don't think it would happen is his drug issues, I can see the road agents who had to know what Davey Boy was up to telling Vince he's not reliable enough to put the belt on. Having someone younger and reliable were some of the reasons they went with Bret, so maybe he still gets the belt and things don't change that much. But! Say they put the belt on Davey as a test with the idea he drops it back to Flair when his eardrum issue clears up, could that have led to Luger debuting as a face at Royal Rumble then beating champ Flair at WMIX? Have Yokozuna be Luger's first big feud and if Lex doesn't get over as champ we end up with Bret as champ later in 1993.

Lex beating Flair at WM IX when he missed out on doing so at GAB'91, would probably have been cathartic, actually!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, zendragon said:

What happens if Rock doesn't tear his hamstring in college and actually makes it in the NFL? specifically who gets the spot opposite Austin in WM? Does Vince keep the belt on Austin the whole year?

Eh, I don't know if he'd have had a long career in the NFL. I'm a UM alum and have been watching UM football since I was a kid in the 80s. The Rock was a decent player but he wasn't ever going to pass Sapp on the depth chart or the other defensive linemen we had at that point. Not to say he couldn't have made the NFL but even if he stayed healthy, I don't know how long he would've stayed in the league. He likely would've found his way into wrestling at some point or another, just may have taken longer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 10:43 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

I think the interesting part here is that the original Survivor Series 92 main event stays as planned.

Does Perfect still turn face? Does Flair stay? 

If Warrior stays, wasn't there talk that he'd put over Bret at the Rumble? Assuming he ends up bailing or doesn't do it, does that give Bret more cache to stick to his guns when Hogan tries doing the same later in the year? Is Savage still pushed to the backburner so quickly? 

What if Mongo didn't go to the NFL or didn't play for as long, and became a wrestler instead? If he gets into the business in the early 80s, does he become a better worker and start in World Class, considering he was from Texas?

I said it in another thread recently that I don’t really like Conrad. I love hearing him challenge Eric Bischoff on stuff though. He doesn’t mince words in the process either lol! 

Vince was always a Flair fan which he’s proved many times but a little of Flair went a long way with him when Flair was working for him. There’s no way he stayed IMO. We all know the Savage TV thing story and Bret‘s gripes which wouldn’t have helped.

Mongo was cool but potential super worker he was not. He could have been a rassler but I doubt he would have went farther than he did already (which was still pretty far).

If you think Bill Watts wouldn't have been all over Mongo for pre-UWF Mid-South, you're nuts!
Hell, the thought of Mongo, DiBiase and Williams feuding with the Freebirds or being in the Rat Pack?
Damn it... now I'm wanting like a wild Mongo/Terry Gordy brawl

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

Here's a what if, or a what, anyway: What would be the best celebrity only tag team match wrestling could come up with at this point? Pat MacAfee & Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Bad Bunny & that Arrow guy? Or replace Mayweather with K-Fed? What would it be, other than a hot mess?

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Here's a what if, or a what, anyway: What would be the best celebrity only tag team match wrestling could come up with at this point? Pat MacAfee & Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Bad Bunny & that Arrow guy? Or replace Mayweather with K-Fed? What would it be, other than a hot mess?

3 match show

Shaq & MacAfee (Shaq-Afee) v Tyson & Mayweather 

David Arquette & Steven Amell vs. Snoop & Bad Bunny 

Maria Menounos v Snooki

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 4

He had a number of legit athletes that didnt work out: george wells, edcar boo thomas. Admittedly, none as high profile as McMichael. 

a good hypothetical is what would Watts could have done in 1984vwith Marcus Dupree had he chosen wrestling then instead of after his football career ended? 

6 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I mean, Karl Malone probably still has a pair of purple pleather tights in size 31 xtra long hanging in his closet.  The tights alone deserve to be in the match more than most celebs.

On 4/11/2021 at 9:33 AM, zendragon said:

What happens if Rock doesn't tear his hamstring in college and actually makes it in the NFL? specifically who gets the spot opposite Austin in WM? Does Vince keep the belt on Austin the whole year?

I think Rock would've still eventually got in to the business once his career in NFL slowed down. Even his college teammates talked about how much of a fan of Wrestling he was. It might've been about a decade later but he'd still be in Wrestling. If he gotten to a big enough level he'd at least gotten a LT type deal but he's to associated with Wrestling on both sides not to be involved.

As far as Austin I could see Foley in Rock's spot. I could see Shamrock in that spot too

• Like 1

If you take Dwayne out of the Attitude Era, the whole history of the business changes. Does the company get as hot with just Austin, Taker, Hunter and Foley? Do they get high enough ratings to keep Barry Diller fro, cancelling Raw? 

8 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Id throw Kevin Greene in there. 

He's dead though. This is not a time machine situation, for the purpose of the question I was posing, anyway. But yeah, Greene did well for himself in all of his matches.