DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

On 9/15/2017 at 3:12 AM, CreativeControl said:

^ He gets it. I fully understand your original point cwoy, but that whole programme elevated Pillman from where he was at previously. Not to the level Flair wanted but as much as he was going to get in 1990 WCW.

I get that it got him over past the lower card but it wasn't anywhere near what they were actually trying to do. Flair wanted him to be a credible main event guy and they crafted an angle that would've done so. Then they crafted another angle that basically just got him on tv more and ended up with him wearing a yellow body suit and calling himself a dog. If they'd have followed through with what Flair had wanted, they might have had a bigger star on their hands.

12 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

While we're talking Herd-era WCW, would the Dynamic Dudes have worked out better in the WWF? Corny talked about it on the Drive Thru a few months back. I think with Herd being a vapid idiot and not realizing that WCW's fanbase was old style NWA fans that didn't want to see any of the WWF horseshit, at least in the WWF whoever had the book at the time would've made a few tweaks to the gimmick, or since it was getting crapped on in Philly and the fans were chanting "JOHNNY SUCKS DICK, JOHNNY SUCKS DICK" at Laurinitis they would've added heel elements and had them paired up with a Demolition or a Hart Foundation, one of the WWF tag teams that were actually cool. And I would imagine that with the resources that they had in Titan Towers, even by 1989-90 standards, someone would've at least taught them how to goddamn use the skateboard, or at least had them use roller skates instead, or something.

That's an interesting question. WWF did cartoonish gimmicks way better than NWA/JCP did so I think the Dynamic Dudes would've at least been a good midcard tag-team there.

I dunno, The Dudes weren't... ummm... that Dynamic. I mean outside of the match where Cornette turned on them do they have any other memorable matches?

Even with the WWF creative team marketing them if the team isn't at least fun to watch then what would be the point?

I think the Dudes would just end up being Young Stallions 2.0 in WWF

James

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I think he Dudes would just end up being Young Stallions 2.0 in WWF

That's a pretty good comparison. That's pretty much as far as Douglas got in his first run in the WWF, a Roma and Powers level JTTS. For some reason, he did last a while in the '91 Royal Rumble.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's a pretty good comparison. That's pretty much as far as Douglas got in his first run in the WWF, a Roma and Powers level JTTS.

Which was unfortunate, would've liked to see him higher up. He talked recently about original plans for that run was to have him be a Bon Jovi esque rock star and he would sing his theme music, they had songs for him to record for an album but he had to leave to take care of his sick dad at the time.

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Not long ago, Cornette discussed Pillman's match vs Flair as well as the angle with Pillman and the MX, which was watered down by Herd and Jim Barnett. 

Yeah, that's what prompted my post. Here's a youtube vid of him talking about it:

• Like 1

*Vince McMahon voice* HAHAHAAAAA the Dynamic Dude here in the World Wrestling Federation to party and have fun with the faaaans

Douglas got a good showing in the 91 Rumble, if he'd have stuck around and wasn't his own worst enemy he'd have been a made man by the time the Attitude era rolled around. Think about THAT

• Like 2

To me, Pillman's tiny Cincinnati Bengal underdrawers didn't help him at all.  They might've helped Jim Barnett do the Five-Knuckle Ickey Shuffle but as a kid, I just couldn't take him seriously.  Also, him being announced as just "Flyin' Brian" kind of made him seem second tier in my eyes.  I think if he had been announced by his full name and wore solid colored trunks I might've regarded  him as being in that Sting/Steiners level of top WCW babyfaces.

And teaming with Z-Man didn't help either cause Zenk also came off as being second tier at best.  When Jim Ross was talking Z-Man up before his debut he made him seem like some kind of superhero and then generic-ass Tom Zenk walked out to the '89 Batman theme and I was so disappointed cause I had briefly seen him in the WWF and also saw Rick Martel say he ran away cause he was scared.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2017 at 3:07 PM, BEN! said:

To me, Pillman's tiny Cincinnati Bengal underdrawers didn't help him at all.  They might've helped Jim Barnett do the Five-Knuckle Ickey Shuffle but as a kid, I just couldn't take him seriously.  Also, him being announced as just "Flyin' Brian" kind of made him seem second tier in my eyes.  I think if he had been announced by his full name and wore solid colored trunks I might've regarded  him as being in that Sting/Steiners level of top WCW babyfaces.

And teaming with Z-Man didn't help either cause Zenk also came off as being second tier at best.  When Jim Ross was talking Z-Man up before his debut he made him seem like some kind of superhero and then generic-ass Tom Zenk walked out to the '89 Batman theme and I was so disappointed cause I had briefly seen him in the WWF and also saw Rick Martel say he ran away cause he was scared.

Totally agree. I loved me some Flyin Brian back in the day... but he wasn't even a TV Title contender. Putting him in the main event would have all the fans fearing for his life. 

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Zenk showed a lot of personality after he retired, for a bit.

Post WCW he did a few regular shots in Minneapolis indies, and the fans there always razzed him for being so pitifully dull. This was not a "smark" crowd either. He was playing face and got more heel heat than anyone else. It was hilarious.

• 4 weeks later...

Bruiser Brody was going to do a run-in at WrestleMania IV and steal the vacant WWF belt; I heard that this was the brain child of several promoters who, later in the same year, came together to take on Vince in one big coalition (Gagne, Jarrett, Von Erich). Brody denied it, other promoters said Brody wanted more money than what was offered at the time.

What if Brody agrees/attempts to? Does he manage to actually get his hands on the belt? How far does he make it before security catches up with him or would he make it out of the building with the belt in tow? Does it lead to a major storyline on TV, or is it quietly dealt with behind the scenes? Would he still be stabbed to death that year?

7 hours ago, Venom said:

Bruiser Brody was going to do a run-in at WrestleMania IV and steal the vacant WWF belt; I heard that this was the brain child of several promoters who, later in the same year, came together to take on Vince in one big coalition (Gagne, Jarrett, Von Erich). Brody denied it, other promoters said Brody wanted more money than what was offered at the time.

What if Brody agrees/attempts to? Does he manage to actually get his hands on the belt? How far does he make it before security catches up with him or would he make it out of the building with the belt in tow? Does it lead to a major storyline on TV, or is it quietly dealt with behind the scenes? Would he still be stabbed to death that year?

I never heard this version of the "Brody run in at Wrestlemania" it's usually him running in at WM1 and attacking Mr. T.

Let's say they somehow convince Brody to do this, first off he'd be spotted by WWF employees and fans the second he walked into the arena so they'd have security watching him and they'd most likely remove him from the building before anything could happen. Let's say he somehow gets over the rail grabs the belt from Robin Leach or from the time keepers table, the only way out is back through the crowd and to the concourse so it'd be easy for security and Atlantic City Police to find him and arrest him. In the ring they go to a headlock spot and wait for the nonsense to stop. He wouldn't have been stabbed to death in Puerto Rico since he'd be in New Jersey waiting for his trial to start.

Brody wasn't crazy he was a businessman and no way in hell would he risk jail time for the likes of Verne, Fritz and Jarrett which would have happened had he shoot run in at any Wrestlemania. The most likely scenario if they asked him would have been Brody telling Vince they both have a laugh with Vince telling Brody to let him know when he's ready to come in and take the big boot and leg drop.

• Like 1

Yeah all those Brody stories always sounded like horse shit.

Brody may have enjoyed burning bridges but behind every example he was either trying to protect himself or felt like he wasn't being valued properly. Cutting off ties to WWF doesn't jive at all with him wanting to make as much money as possible, and neither does him being beholden to any group of promoters conspiring nefariously.

As for a Hogan feud? I reckon it would've been fantastic as a short term programme ala Zeus

• Like 3

I wonder if a Hogan/Brody feud would end with Brody getting a countout win over Hogan to step up the big match where Hogan wins via big boot/legdrop but Brody quits before the match can happen since he can get more money as the man who never lost to Hogan

6 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I wonder if a Hogan/Brody feud would end with Brody getting a countout win over Hogan to step up the big match where Hogan wins via big boot/legdrop but Brody quits before the match can happen since he can get more money as the man who never lost to Hogan

I doubt Brody would have done that, if he got a Wrestlemania main event against Hogan he's getting $750,000 to $1,000,000 for that match alone then toss in SummerSlam and Survivor Series payoffs along with what he'd make on house shows and merchandise. There wasn't that many options for Brody to cash in on the above scenario, would Baba up Brody's tour payouts if he left him a second time, would Inoki want him back at all? If he bailed on the Hogan feud would JCP/Turner be willing to bring him in to work Flair, Dusty or Sting since it's likely he'd do the same to them, plus JCP was having money issues at the time. Verne could barely afford to bring Brody in at his normal rate so I doubt he'd be able to give him a higher payoff and Jarrett, Don Owen and whatever indie promotions kicking around back then could maybe only afford to give Brody a few hundred more per shot.

Say they convinced Brody to come in pre-WM3, if a feud with Hogan would have been hot enough to do house show business on par with Hogan-Orndorff he'd be making huge money but the schedule would have been insane.

Crazy thing is I could only take Bunkhouse Buck in his shitsmeared long Johns as seriously as some dude in leopard print skivvies. I mean at least it took balls to show up and wrestle in the latter. Bunkhouse Buck just came off as some drunk railroad worker whose sorry ass Colonel Parker hustled down to the ring to do his bidding.

• Like 1