DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

4 hours ago, Victator said:

No it was the most bizarre episode the show ever did. I was going to describe it. Its called Pigmalion and well worth watching. 

Thanks.  I just read the plot synopsis for "Pigmalion".  That's a little bit out there.

The Youtube clip posted above cracks me up for how nonchalant Peggy and Luann are about witnessing a guy impaled and killed by a piece of equipment in a processing plant.  That seems out of character for the show.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, happjack said:

How could Verne screw anyone when the show didn't make any money? The other side of the story was Verne paid Jerry Jarrett a booking fee for his talent and that money never made it down to the Memphis\Dallas guys, that's just as plausible as Verne keeping it all for himself. That whole mess was bound to fail, everyone was looking out for their own interests and neither Lawler or Kerry were big enough stars to get people to buy PPV's.

He apparently owed Lawler money on other bookings. 

4 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Thanks.  I just read the plot synopsis for "Pigmalion".  That's a little bit out there.

The Youtube clip posted above cracks me up for how nonchalant Peggy and Luann are about witnessing a guy impaled and killed by a piece of equipment in a processing plant.  That seems out of character for the show.

Luanne and Peggy did become bad people as the show progressed. But if it works it works. 

What if Batista doesn't come back at Royal Rumble 2014? Who gets the win to go on to Mania against Orton? Do they cave to the rising popularity of Daniel Bryan earlier than anticipated and go with him, giving Bryan his revenge from SummerSlam? Do they go with the fail safe of John Cena to set up that Cena/Orton WrestleMania match that they never had? Perhaps give it to CM Punk and he sticks around in the company, never to quit in the first place?

On 6/21/2017 at 6:24 AM, MonteCarl said:

What if Batista doesn't come back at Royal Rumble 2014? Who gets the win to go on to Mania against Orton? Do they cave to the rising popularity of Daniel Bryan earlier than anticipated and go with him, giving Bryan his revenge from SummerSlam? Do they go with the fail safe of John Cena to set up that Cena/Orton WrestleMania match that they never had? Perhaps give it to CM Punk and he sticks around in the company, never to quit in the first place?

Call the audible and go with Reigns a year early? Then you get 'Gang Warz' with Wyatts+Orton vs Shield+Bryan.

Builds to Wyatt v Reigns for the title at SummerSlam with Bryan v Triple H  and Cena v Lesnar on the undercard if Bryan is healthy.

Wyatt wins the title as Harper, Rowan (and Strowman?) interfere with only Ambrose providing backup for Reigns. Rollins (who is still MitB holder) heel turn the night after keeps Reigns distracted through to the Rumble. Lesnar takes the belt from Wyatt and we build to Reigns v Lesnar with Rollins pulling the same cash in moment.

In this universe we build to Cena v Undertaker at WrestleMania with Cena saying that Taker's loss to Lesnar means he is on the way out so Cena wants to fight 'whatever the Deadman has got left'. Taker goes over and shows he still has a couple more Manias in him.

On June 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM, MonteCarl said:

Punk was so set on leaving that him winning the Rumble would be like when WCW put the belt on Benoit at Souled Out 2000. 

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

if not Nash - who ends Goldberg's streak?

They could have made Raven a huge star if he did it.

Hogan a pretty good call.

Otherwise I think that the obvious one would have been Page. The Diamond Cutter was sold as death and he had shown that he could get thisclose to beating Goldberg before. Page ending the streak would have be perfectly fine IMO.

• Like 2

I think the answer is nobody.  I don't think there was anyone at the time who could have pinned him that we wouldn't be shitting on all these years later.  Sid is a maybe, but Goldberg would have had to have stayed undefeated.  By the time Sid came back, Goldberg's aura was nowhere near what it once was.  As bad as Nash pinning Goldberg was, I think Hogan would have been even worse.

• Like 1

I was thinking about the Goldberg streak recently and here's how I would have done it - 'retire' him as undefeated after he's blasted through everyone while subtly building up a heel with an underplayed streak gimmick but with a different style, maybe more vicious and sadistic than the power-move style of Goldberg. 

By the time Goldberg's been gone for a few months is when you start really ramping up this heel's streak and when he's getting a lot of eyes have him challenging Goldberg in the same manner Stone Cold kept calling out Bret Hart before their Survivor Series 96 match.

Who would potentially fit this mould? No idea. Sean O Haire springs to mind but I doubt he had the tools to pull it off.

The issue is who do you put over in a streak v streak match though? And is it important for the belt Goldberg vacated to be on the line? That was where my idea fell down, you either seriously put the heel over as Goldberg's kryptonite and kill off Goldberg under the guise of 'ring rust' or you chop the heel's balls off undoing your hard work and showing him as inferior

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Kurt Angle, even though I realize we are well into the realm of alternate realities to come up with the bizarre set of circumstances that sees a genuine Olympic hero debuting with that shitshow of a wrasslin outfit. Seriously, short of cartoon characters like the Ultimate Warrior, who else is worthy of beating Goldberg? Guys with legit wrestling and/or MMA credentials. I want to say Sting if they didn't DUBBYACEEDUB the fuck out of all his momentum the second he set foot back in a ring.

You also don't foolishly give away Sting/Goldberg as the match right before the intermission on a random house show. I'd still do everything about the same; have Sting get screwed royally out of the belt at SuperBrawl, Goldberg still win it during that summer. Even that is flawed though because the longer Goldberg's streak lasted and he held the belt it's hard to imagine Sting maintaining the same sizzle somewhere else further down the card; even if he squashes Hogan at Starrcade like he should have. As CC pointed out above, the story is easy enough; the longer the streak goes on, the closer Goldberg's personality slants towards being an arrogant bully. Who is the antithesis to that? Why trusting Sting, of course.

The most moronic thing about Nash's "gee whiz, somebody had to beat him!" line of bullshit is that Goldberg's reign was barely longer than Hollywood Hogan's second longest reign when he held the title hostage. The problem was Nash unwilling to be fed to the monster until they figured out the right time to end the streak. I don't believe Goldberg ran through Macho during the streak; there's another few months of PPV thrashings right there.

What if... Vince did give Steamboat time off when Ricky Jr. was born, and then bought him back after, so he never went to WCW?

Would they even bother doing a loop of Savage/Steamboat title matches leading up to WrestleMania V? I think not. Even so, eventually I think the Dragon bottoms out suffering a similar fate to Tito Santana. Seriously he can't just hang around the upper midcard without ever breaking through all the while Vince is smitten with Warrior. I guess Steamboat could've swapped the Intercontinental Title a few times with Mr. Perfect. Once Bret eventually ends up in that slot though, Steamboat is left languishing again.

11 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Hogan would be my choice.  But.... they shouldn't have let the streak get as far as it did.  Winning streaks are a bad idea in pro wrestling.  Once fans get attached to the idea of the streak, there's no good time to end the streak and no satisfactory way to do it.  Once the streak itself gets over, your choices for how to end it become extremely limited and some portion of your fanbase is going to be unhappy no matter how you do it or what spins out of the match.  And if you simply let the streak keep growing, your booker ends up having to jump through hoops to keep the undefeated wrestler away from title matches and anyone else you don't want him to go over.  If Goldberg or whoever is mowing down everyone in the promotion, why the **ll doesn't he just try to get a title match every week?

FWIW, losing streaks are also a bad idea, imo.  How many guys have gotten over doing a losing streak gimmick?

If Hogan via shenanigans was the best available choice, then really that's no better than the way Goldberg finally did end up losing. At least losing after the jackknife looks better than eating the legdrop after getting tased. The bigger problem is that they didn't have any other up-and-coming acts on par with Goldberg at the time. They always could've did a multi-man elimination match and had everybody else conspire to take out Goldberg, all hitting their finisher multiple times on him similar to Matanza's first loss in the Aztec Warfare III match.

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

More to the point, who fills the void in the 89 Flair trilogy? What happens to WCW without that feud picking the promotion up by the bootstraps?

I thought Steamboat/Flair, while amazing in the ring, drew like shit, no?

• Like 1

Obvious answer is with nobody else ready, they have to relent and finally give Luger his first title run. Other options are bumping Sting up ahead of schedule to the top level or striking while the iron is hot with Muta. Funk/Flair was bound to happen regardless of Flair swapping the belt back and forth with Luger instead of Steamboat.

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I would say "under-performed against expectations" as opposed to "drew like shit". The same could be said of every damn thing that company did in that time period. They managed to kill Seattle (as solid an NWA town as you're likely to find), by clusterfuck promoting. Refused to push the hottest act in wrestling because of a perceived language barrier, (Mutoh as the Great Muta, who fwiw is far more understandable to me than Dusty Rhodes ever was.) Talk about a star-crossed company, even when they had the best wrestling in NA, they managed to fuck things up.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Aigh but the buzz it created no doubt drew eyes to the promotion and got a lot of coverage. WCW in 89 was always gonna be a tough sell for reasons OSJ stated, Crockett had damn near killed off every town under their promotion 

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

More to the point, who fills the void in the 89 Flair trilogy? What happens to WCW without that feud picking the promotion up by the bootstraps?

Luger would have to beat him and you can probably do his heel turn anyway. It would not have been as good as Flair/Steamboat, but would have been satisfying. 

But that leaves Barry Windham, no Luger to beat him and no injury at the PPV he lost the belt. So who wins the US title from him? Actually Eddie Gilbert could get the big win to really end that feud. But I don't know if George Scott liked Eddie that much. It was Jim Crockett booking the Eddie Gilbert/Barry feud on TV that lead to Steamboat. 

Thinking about it further, have Barry turn on Flair and still form the New Horsemen with Kendall and Butch Reed. 

18 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

DDP. 

He was white hot at the time, the Halloween Havoc match was really critically acclaimed, and you probably could have gotten multiple PPV matches out of DDP slowly getting closer and closer to beating Goldberg, never quite managing to pull it off- until finally some time in 1999, DDP pulls off the win.

Considering that ECW had made "feuds where one guy can never quite get over the hump of defeating their arch-rival" in vogue at the time without it napalming the worker who can't do it's heat, DDP/Goldberg could have probably been the mainstream example of that feud

• Like 4