DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

If WWE doesn't buy WCW, what does the 2001 timeline look like for them?

HHH and Benoit on the shelf for the rest of the year. 

I assume the Angle/Austin program happens without any real change there, but leaves a significant undercard hole without Booker and DDP. Does RVD still sign? 

Does Shawn come back earlier as was slated for X7 without being born again? 

13 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Shawn still would've missed Mania, since I believe the go home Raw was the one where he passed out backstage.

Which gave us this gem...

20200603_233903.jpg

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 4

If WWF doesn't purchase WCW, it wouldn't surprise me if they start a solo Jeff Hardy push sort of on the level he was in 2002 where he comes close to pulling off the big win. I wonder if they'd call guys like Batista, Cena, or Brock up a year early.

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

If WWE doesn't buy WCW, what does the 2001 timeline look like for them?

HHH and Benoit on the shelf for the rest of the year. 

I assume the Angle/Austin program happens without any real change there, but leaves a significant undercard hole without Booker and DDP. Does RVD still sign? 

The most obvious benefit is- the undercard loses Booker T and DDP, but presumably the Edge and Christian breakup becomes a much, much bigger deal without WCW in play. It may not get them to main event levels, but it likely gets them each to Booker/DDP's level instead of extras in the feud. There's other questions in play there- the Eddie Guerrero/Matt Hardy/Lita thing was dropped due to Eddie's drug problems, but between Matt as Euro champ and Jeff as IC champ, it's also entirely feasible both guys are added as top undercard names without it, especially since all claims at the time were "RVD and Steve Corino agreed to terms with WCW and if WCW lived, they go there." 

The bigger question is if they remake the undercard as a whole with the TLC workers and also throw the Dudleyz in there, since the only other lowcard angle swallowed up by the Invasion was the Spike Dudley/Molly Holly relationship, and that's a question mark since it also happened to be the only one of the undercard angles going on in between Mania 17 and the Invasion that didn't seem to have a satisfying ending (and any ending would tie into the "Chyna was gone in 2001 as Women's Champ, opening up another big hole.in the undercard and taking a way for that angle to fill it.") 

What if Heyman doesn't get fired from WCW in 1993?  Does he stay in the manger/part time commentator role, do they eventually let him get a shot with the book (with WCW more likely on a booking committee)?  Where does that leave ECW, especially after Gilbert leaves?  I don't see ECW reaching the same heights they did, but I wonder how long the company would last without Heyman coming along and if they would attempt to switch to an edgier style.

If the Wild Samoans weren't influenced by Chief Maivia is there any other influence to bring them in?

The real question I'm trying to get to is, what would the modem scene look like if Afa and Sika and their family, including The Rock and his branch of the family tree, never entered the pro wres? No Yokozuna, Samoan swat team, Roman Reigns, etc? 

Probably giving them way too much credit for helping shape the modern landscape with The Rock being a massive crossover star. Just wondering, if the dominos fall different, if none of the Maivia and Anoia family enter wrestling, does Vince have a movie studio for wwe produced movies? Do Austin and Hunter get any roles without The Rundown and the other early roles like guest hosting SNL?

Is there a Marine franchise to kind of kickstart John Cena and his semi crossover appeal? I could be completely off missing lots of info but I dont think theres a WWE Network like we know it, theres no publicly traded company, without Rock trailblazing the way to making wrestling "fun" 

Sure I'll admit that the Monday night wars brought notoriety and popularity, but after the merger, minus a Rock like breakout star I don't see WWE still being the "entertainment juggernaut" it is today. Austin vs McMahon works for the fans, but say Austin still retired due to health issues, does he try going into movies that aren't direct to dvd? Is there a Smackdown show added to bring more content, and who would be the headliner that it's named after?

Forgive my blabbering, just curious. 

Well, in addition to all those problems without the Wild Samoans, you also have to add the expanded problem of "No Wild Samoans in wrestling, the Wild Samoans don't open a wrestling school" that even makes things bigger.

Do that, and the timeline changes even further than that...Batista? Never able to enter pro wrestling after the Power Plant rejected him, he's gone from wrestling (and presumably his movie career never happens too.) The movement away from Moolah's style of women's wrestling dies on the vine; Luna Vachon and Sherri Martel were two of the first women to do it while getting away from Moolah's grasp, and both trained there. Michael Hayes? Didn't get trained, he's out of the picture- both as a wrestler and as a booker, so you've just changed things dramatically on both sides of the coin.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Well, in addition to all those problems without the Wild Samoans, you also have to add the expanded problem of "No Wild Samoans in wrestling, the Wild Samoans don't open a wrestling school" that even makes things bigger.

Do that, and the timeline changes even further than that...Batista? Never able to enter pro wrestling after the Power Plant rejected him, he's gone from wrestling (and presumably his movie career never happens too.) The movement away from Moolah's style of women's wrestling dies on the vine; Luna Vachon and Sherri Martel were two of the first women to do it while getting away from Moolah's grasp, and both trained there. Michael Hayes? Didn't get trained, he's out of the picture- both as a wrestler and as a booker, so you've just changed things dramatically on both sides of the coin.

Brutus Beefcake and Hulk Hogan are never van neighbors with The Wild Samoans when they were in the Florida territory and living out of their vehicles on the beach. Hogan and Beefcake never smoke pot and eat fried chicken with The Samoans in between matches, trips to the beach and banging ring rats so they get disillusioned with wrestling. Beefcake goes back to being a bartender and Hogan goes on to be the bassist for Metallica.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What if Schiavone didn't return to WCW? Would he have eventually become the lead announcer, or would he have angled his way into a producer role? What would have happened to JR? The whole voice of the WWF would have been completely different in the Attitude era. 

He would have messed it up or his attitude would have gotten him in trouble. I have good memories of Tony because I bled WCW but he sucked tbh.

I came here to post a very well done troll topic that I saw on another forum. It said, in more words for well done trolling that people can’t help but bite on effect, that Bobby Eaton should have ended Goldberg’s streak. I don’t know what the long term effects would have been but I know all the people still believing in the delusion of Chris Benoit becoming WCW champion would have popped big time lol!

If he stays long enough, I could see Tony in a producer role.  I don't think JR's fate changes if things are the same in WCW.  If he remains an announcer with WWF, I could see him regressing into dying WCW era Tony if things remain the same in WWF (ie the Russo style of the late 90s).

• Like 1

Let's assume for the moment that the Steph/Savage rumours are true.

What if Vince is supportive of their relationship rather than blackballing him?

Does Savage effectively replace HHH in this timeline? How long does he wrestle to? How does this effect HHH's role? 

From there - two offshoots - how long does the relationship last, given Savage's history with women? What if he passes the same time he did anyway, does Steph still remain the likely successor to Vince without a husband?

Well, considering that claims from around the time period said that Randy Savage was one of the top bookers for WWF when he left (and many saying as high as "Savage had the book when he defected to WCW"), that would claim that it would be pretty much be a "but the future refused to change" thing. All signs from those make it clear Savage basically HAD Triple H's power at the time independent of Stephanie being with him or not, and it didn't make a difference to Savage to keep him from going to WCW. If that didn't, it's likely that nothing changes on Savage's side- he still goes to WCW.

If that's the case, more problems happen on Stephanie's side than on Triple H's side-if Savage goes to WCW, Stephanie presumably leaves the family and goes with him (and Eric Bischoff loved goading WWF so much he'd absolutely throw Stephanie a WCW contract  just to say "we stole your own daughter from you".) Even if Vince takes Stephanie back into the family after this (which,  presumably, he would if he accepted Savage and Stephanie's relationship), the Stephanie McMahon who returns is one who didn't go to college in order to follow Savage and, as such, would not be a shrewd enough businesswoman to do anything that she's done behind the scenes, inevitably making her "just a onscreen talent".

Has she actually made any shrewd business decisions for real though? Or is her shrewd businessperson gimmick just a massive work to protect the share price?

• Like 1

this is the first time i've heard of Savage booking WWF. were there really rumblings saying this? i suppose you can rationalize it by saying McMahon gave him that opportunity to replace his in-ring career, but i don't buy it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Has she actually made any shrewd business decisions for real though? Or is her shrewd businessperson gimmick just a massive work to protect the share price?

In defense there, however, the big part with Stephanie as a behind the scenes worker- we really don't know that much. All we know is "she was a mediocre booker" (and since we know that Vince rewrites shows over and over again up to the second it airs onscreen, quite frankly Shakespeare couldn't give you good shows in the WWE system). Even with it- she isn't a genius, but she isn't exactly completely inept either. (We know that- we've SEEN inept in the 21st century- look at Dixie Carter and it's night and day.)  Which is kind of the point.

Whether or not she's excellent, we CAN safely say Stephanie's not terrible at her job, but if this What If came to play, in all likeliness she WOULD be.