DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

What if: 

SMW never happens, and Cornette joins the WWF in 1991, taking the Midnights with him  and also taking over from Bobby Heenan as manager of Mr Perfect? (Basically taking John Tolos's spot with Bobby and Stan taking the spot of the Beverly Brothers).

He and Hennig would have been a fun duo although that wouldn't have lasted long as Curt's back injury would likely have still happened. I can see the Midnights ending up where Money Inc. were, taking the title from the LOD (and Hawk and Animal might have been more willing to drop the belts on TV, since the Midnights had done the honors for them in the NWA), and then feuding with the Steiners in 1993. After that I see Stan retiring, Bobby being used in a JTTS role and Cornette being more of an announcer, maybe he still ends up as Yokozuna's manager.

• Like 1

In 1985, the closest Bret Hart's getting to a match with a Nature Boy is Buddy Landel.  I just don't think he ever had the fire to make it in a Southern territory.

In 1992, he wanted to jump with the IC title so he wouldn't have even been a WWF headliner yet.  He'd have to be a heel in WCW cause he's using the top guy's finisher.  Maybe say he came to the WCW cause he was tired of waiting for a World Title match in the WWF and since Sting had beaten Flair then he was actually the real World Champ.  Then Sting beats him and he goes down the card to the US Title and feuds with Steamboat or Dustin Rhodes.

Flair wanted Cornette as his manager as a Kentucky colonel for his WWF run.

• Like 1

Random one from the impossible files:

It's mid 1998. Last segment of Nitro. nWo is beating down a couple babyfaces. Crowd is begging for the save and...

The glass breaks! Stunner. Stunner. Stunner. Beer. Stunner. Etc.

Would that have been the biggest pop in the history of wrestling?

Edited by Brian Fowler

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Random one from the impossible files:

It's mid 1998. Last segment of Nitro. nWo is beating down a couple babyfaces. Crowd is begging for the save and...

The glass breaks! Stunner. Stunner. Stunner. Beer. Stunner. Etc.

Would that have been the biggest pop in the history of wrestling?

Not sure if it would have topped Austin coming out on the Zamboni in Detroit, grown adults were jumping and screaming like little kids who just found out Santa is in fact real and is giving them everything they've always wanted. That pop was legit painful to the ears.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely loved SMW and learned so much from it. Jim Cornette was like a football coach on a team full of bums who he got to 8-8. He got the most out of every resource he had.

What was so frustrating about WCW in 1998 was that they had a dozen or so SCSA sized pops just waiting to happen but they just couldn’t do that. And when they did it on accident they buried it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

What was so frustrating about WWE in 2019 ,is that they have a dozen or so SCSA sized pops just waiting to happen but they just can’t do that. And when they do, it's on accident & they bury it. 

FTFY

What if Vince pulls the trigger on Ryback?

How far does he go if he rolls through Punk and drops the strap to Rock? Is he still viable to beat Cena immediately post Mania?

On 12/26/2019 at 2:20 PM, BloodyChamp said:

I know nothing about current WWE lol but I would think anything involving Punk would be up there no?

Punk would do it.

They had one ready to go in Nakamura winning the title at Mania. Or Rusev (Day) getting a run.

The fell ass backwards into Kofi Mania & that moment but didn't really do anything with home after that.

Rollins got a massive pop for "Slaying the Beast" only to get punked out right away.

Owens got a big pop for killing Vince and again when he told Shane to piss off but that's gone nowhere...

They have seemingly lost the art of being able to call the audible and really take advantage of something hot.

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Punk would do it.

They had one ready to go in Nakamura winning the title at Mania. Or Rusev (Day) getting a run.

The fell ass backwards into Kofi Mania & that moment but didn't really do anything with home after that.

Rollins got a massive pop for "Slaying the Beast" only to get punked out right away.

Owens got a big pop for killing Vince and again when he told Shane to piss off but that's gone nowhere...

They have seemingly lost the art of being able to call the audible and really take advantage of something hot.

It still makes me mad that after such great payoffs at Mania the direct follow up feuds for Kofi and Seth were with two of the lowest-heat heel challengers ever. There were plenty of options for Kofi after Mania but they threw him into the Ziggler program, and shoved Seth into Baron Corbin.

Admittedly the RAW roster didnt have too many options at the time but I still think that feud did more to doom Seth as a top face draw - and then combining that with the least compelling option for Becky to have as a challenger - and create the current ratings predicament than any of the things Seth has done that we like to laugh at. 

Edited by clintthecrippler
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2019 at 5:10 AM, L_W_P said:

What if Vince pulls the trigger on Ryback?

How far does he go if he rolls through Punk and drops the strap to Rock? Is he still viable to beat Cena immediately post Mania?

Don't drop it to Rock.  Intro The Shield there for a no-contest finish.  Go into WrestleMania with The Ryback as champ against both Cena and Rock so "Once In A Lifetime" doesn't happen twice in a row.  Roll with him til he breaks.

How The Shield guys get affected is what's really important cause even then Reigns was obviously going to be the guy and Ryback was pretty much their whipping boy.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2019 at 8:10 PM, BloodyChamp said:

It seems like it’s good before and at Mania then meh because what are they going to do get taken off the air?

it's the old school mentality of "viewership dips in the summer so don't waste your best stuff"

For Ryback, I had figured they were going to head to a Ryback vs The Shield match at Mania. Ryback had been screwed so many times by The Shield, I could've seen him asking for a match against all of them in a gauntlet match. The Shield were undefeated at the time, and my fantasy booking had him beating Ambrose and Rollins before finally getting beat by Reigns. Makes Ryback still look strong, but technically The Shield wins in the end and stays undefeated. Instead, he gets dropped in to a last minute feud with Mark Henry and losing on a fluke pin, and that's when his push and overall mystique really ended.

• Like 1

Yeah my thinking was that he goes over Punk, The Shield screw him in a Triple Threat vs Punk n Rock at the Rumble (Rock pins Punk) and then Ryback has to either find help, or go it alone, against The Shield at Mania.

Ryback hen gets the big build to a SummerSlam match with Cena for the title he was never beaten for.

• 1 month later...

Forgive me if I've posed this before, but what if Mr. Kennedy doesn't piss of Randy Orton in his first match back and get let go immediately? He was over and looked to be positioned for a pretty strong run. Would his attitude still have gotten him shoved out the door sooner or later? I feel like he'd have had at least a cup of coffee World Title run, and if he could have stayed out of the soul-crushing void that was TNA he might have gotten his head screwed on straight at some point.

Wasn't the whole Orton got him fired thing just internet rumours with no basis in fact? I'm sure that his firing was more of a bringing the company into disrepute deal, due to his love of getting himself booked on mainstream media news shows and talking a load of bollocks. That and, generally if the office dislikes someone and the locker room also dislikes them, they disappear pretty quickly. Bagwell, Enzo & Cass being the obvious examples.

People who the locker room disliked but the office did, they stick around, like Miz. Liked in the locker room but disliked by the office...  harder to say, because they'd just fire anyone they properly disliked. But probably anyone who's a good worker that never gets a push could be argued.

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

Wasn't the whole Orton got him fired thing just internet rumours with no basis in fact? I'm sure that his firing was more of a bringing the company into disrepute deal, due to his love of getting himself booked on mainstream media news shows and talking a load of bollocks. That and, generally if the office dislikes someone and the locker room also dislikes them, they disappear pretty quickly. Bagwell, Enzo & Cass being the obvious examples.

The way I remember it, he returned from injury in the main event of Raw and was positioned to go after the title, then by the end of the week he was gone. I can't see him getting put in that Raw main event if management was soured on him. I'm sure he was in the process of alienating them, but I feel like he must have had some boosters, otherwise they'd have just kept him off tv.

He's said the Orton thing was the last straw that led to his release, following his media rounds, wellness suspension, injuries, etc.

I didn't care much for him then, but thought his first year in Impact was really good and he seemed totally rejuvenated for awhile there.

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

He's said the Orton thing was the last straw that led to his release, following his media rounds, wellness suspension, injuries, etc.

I didn't care much for him then, but thought his first year in Impact was really good and he seemed totally rejuvenated for awhile there.

Breaking the first rule of pro wrestling etiquette and caught on tape doing it. Never wear your own shirt in public!  God, Ken really is an asshole

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Hayes had IT. 1 of the most underrated guys ever imo. I don’t have all of those dates organized in my head but I think the original Von Erichs/Freebirds feud goes unaffected. Then obviously the second feud doesn’t happen. Unfortunately I don’t know if much changes for the Von Erichs. The territory perhaps dries up without even being salvaged for that short while with Jarrett without the second Freebirds feud to keep it alive. 

Piper was great but when he lost it in the ring it was a pretty drastic change, not like some of the others from his mold who slowly lost it and worked around it. I could see his career being similar to most guys like him who didn’t get the break in the WWF. A WCW life in limbo, a guy who bounced around, who knows. He’s the wildcard in this what if. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1